Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-10-2008, 13:51   #16
mohenley

thanks all.

I have been to Sainsbury in Lisburn so probably revisit it. Is there a place around Lisburn or Newry that does cheap beer (cases of)- I find that Sainsburys deals are not that great and similar in price to here. i normally only get wine here, very good deals.
Advertisement
08-10-2008, 14:38   #17
gazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil-80 View Post
Good thread. Any good shops near Sligo?.In Enniskillen is only ASDA,ARGOS (still cheaper like in NI)
There are tons more shops than that in Enniskillen. You also have a huge Tesco as well as Dunnes and Iceland. Also you have Currys, Woolworths, Heatons, Boots, Easons and a fair few clothes shops. I go up to Enniskillen once a month and buy tons of stuff. You get great bargains.
08-10-2008, 16:01   #18
mohenley

Sorry is there an Iceland in Lisburn Newry direction?
08-10-2008, 16:38   #19
maninaskirt

There's one in Newry, close to Subway and the bigger Dunnes stores, you'll have to be early if you wanna park near it though, it's not too far from the Quays and Buttercrane, but it's long if your carrying bags!
08-10-2008, 17:01   #20
Moonbeam

That is mad.
Itis probably a year since I drove up and parking and crowds was never an issue except near christmas.
I really should go up again soon.
Advertisement
08-10-2008, 17:23   #21
Ronan Raver77

Send a message via MSN to Ronan Raver77
I think i will head up soon myself during the week as i have the time and don't fancy being stuck in queues at the weekend.
On my list would be Bulmers and i will do some clothes shopping for myself and my son.Any good places for cheap blank cds and cd cases accessories etc as i need to tidy up my cds for work
08-10-2008, 17:37   #22
upthewalls

Strabane in Co Tyrone has an - Asda's - Woolworths - Boots - Iceland - Semi Chem. Strabane is 2 minutes away from Lifford in Co Donegal. Was up there recently had got some great bargains especially in Asda's they were selling Johnsons Baby wipes - Box of six, for 5 pound sterling. also 2.85kg Bold - Persil, Aerial washing powder for 4 pound sterling. Asda's clothing section known as George sells clothes which are generally good quality and not expensive. They also had three bottles of wine for the price of 2 when we were there. Will be heading up there soon.
Thanks from:
08-10-2008, 18:08   #23
Moonbeam

http://sainsburys.co.uk/food/foodand...h_and_save.htm

Sainsburys special offers
Thanks from:
08-10-2008, 18:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoman View Post
it takes about 3 and half hours or so. it mostly motorway i think.
3 and a half hours maybe if you're travelling from Cork City to Newry!!! its less than an hour from Dublin straight up the M1/A1
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-10-2008, 19:37   #25
Rashers72

I was up in Sainsburys in Newry on Sunday. Was there for opening at 1pm (thing it's a local rule)
There was about 100 shoppers queing at both entrances. Drink was a huge hit. Some of the aisles seem narrower then before, making shopping more difficult.
A lot of the shelves would appear to have been cleaned out the previous day, especially their frozen offers. Must not have got them restocked overnight.
I would agree ASDA is better value (linked to Walmart from US). If they had a store in Newry, they'd make a killing!
08-10-2008, 20:00   #26
muffler

Now would be a very good time to go shopping with a very favourable exchange rate. It wont always be as good.

Regarding beers, spirits and wines it should be pointed out that alcohol is generally cheaper in the North. The large stores will have different offers each week so its a bit of pot luck but some items will remain the same for ages. For example Asda have 1 litre bottles of Smirnoff () at £14.49 which is around €18 or a little over.

Go early and avoid the Xmas rush which will start shortly.
08-10-2008, 22:46   #27
muincav

24 X 440 ml cans of STELLA ARTOIS in Sainsburys today for £11.99,,,,,try and get that in the south.. I had to buy 5 cases just to try it......
08-10-2008, 23:06   #28
Ronan Raver77

Send a message via MSN to Ronan Raver77
Good stuff muincav.Hopefully i will get some bulmers up north.Looked up the tesco website Hopefully save 17euro a crate..
08-10-2008, 23:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil-80 View Post
Good thread. Any good shops near Sligo?.In Enniskillen is only ASDA,ARGOS (still cheaper like in NI)
Enniskillen has :

Asda
Tesco
Currys
Lidl
Argos
Heatons
M&S (Opening Soon)

From Dublin come up M50 and leave it for Monaghan etc. Road is excellent most of the way to Enniskillen. For my own interest, how much savings in % are the Euro shoppers actually getting on an average shop, if there is such a thing?
09-10-2008, 00:09   #30
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHairyFairy View Post
For my own interest, how much savings in % are the Euro shoppers actually getting on an average shop, if there is such a thing?
Its very difficult to quantify it. It depends on what exactly you buy.

beers and spirits would show an average saving of about 25% - 30% and up to 40% or more if you get items on special offer. Groceries would probably show a 10 - 15 % saving.

All I can say is that she who must be obeyed does her shopping in Strabane every week and would estimate that she saves around 20% - 25% compared to Dunnes or Tescos

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion