Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

that junction in ennistymon

Options
  • 29-07-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't it about time clare co co did something about that narrow junction in ennistymon, the one where the road heads towards lahinch....took nearly 1/2 an hour crawling along to get past it on friday evening:mad:

I mean in this day and age its an embarrassment and god help the poor coach drivers trying to manuvoure there way past it must be next to impossible.

knock those buildings and put in a roundabout ffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Thread on Blake's Corner from from 2 years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786493

The tailbacks were worse in the 90s. Or seemed worse anyway.

I just go the backroads now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Blake's corner...so thats what they call it
    I just go the backroads now

is there a way of avoiding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fryup wrote: »
    Blake's corner...so thats what they call it

Yeah. You could go around by ballingaddy from lahinch, youd end up on the kilfenora road. or if you want to be sneaky you can cut up by the hospital/football field, go parallel to the lahinch road and cut down by the post office just before the bridge

They should really make that junction one way or something. (no right turn) Although residents of circular road mightn't be chuffed with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

The plan AFAIK is a complete new road from Ennis to Lehinch, as in across green fields, so no upgrade to the current Ennis - Ennistymon - Lehinch road at all.

The plan AFAIK is a complete new road from Ennis to Lehinch, as in across green fields, so no upgrade to the current Ennis - Ennistymon - Lehinch road at all.

Yes but in the 20 years in between, what'll we do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

If the shops cant be demolished the easy way out is to but the silver threds building an demolish it.

Something has to be done, I used to think Martin Conway was alright and at least kept talking about this issue but since becomming a senator has done little about it.

A by pass is a waste of money in my opinion they can do something with balkes corner and realine the ennis road.

The action group annoy me because none of them are local and they never say or do anything about Parliament street which as much historical value and is in dire need of improvement

Which one is silver threads again?

Maybe a roundabout at the bottom of church hill and no right turn at blakes corner Coming from lahinch might work? Also knock foleys probably

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which one is silver threads again?

Maybe a roundabout at the bottom of church hill and no right turn at blakes corner Coming from lahinch might work? Also knock foleys probably

It could be called off the rails, its a cloths shop how would I know, its the building on the otherside of the corner and would not have the historical value of blakes and linnanes.

the buses visiting the cliffs are no help either but we can't stop them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The blakes building was originally a sweet shop. Many from Ennistymon will have memories of that shop. But it is a waste of space now, it really should be knocked.

That space from the blackes buildings should be made a roundabout if you can't make a one way system. Parliament street is wide enough for traffic but the Circular road by the garden centre might not be wide enough for the amount of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

20300210_4.jpg20300210_3.jpg

Blake and Linnane (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage)

Description

Pair of semi-detached two-bay two-storey houses, built c. 1830. Shopfronts inserted c. 1890. Three-bay single-storey return added to left hand side house, c. 1910. Five-bay two-storey return added to right hand side house, c. 1920. Houses no longer in commercial use to ground floor. Pitched Moher flagged roofs with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pitched corrugated-iron roof to extension of right hand side house. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls. Painted rubble stone walls to extensions. Corrugated-iron cladding to upper floor extension of right hand side house. Timber pilaster and entablature shopfronts to ground floor having window shutters, lettering to fascias and moulded cornices. Timber sliding sashwindows. Flagged area to front with curved walls and three cut-stonesteps leading down from street level.

20300210_1.jpg20300211_1.jpg

The adjoining seven-arch rubblestone road bridge over river was built circa 1790.
    It would be a crying shame to demolish an authentic part of Ennistimon's character.

Granted the junction to Lehinch is a bottle-neck in the summer months.

Would not lifting and moving those two buildings back 5-10 metres be a nice engineering challenge for the Clare Co. Co.?

• Advertisement

not only is that junction narrow but there's a drop of about two feet on the left-hand side as you're heading towards lahinch, i mean ffs

have any trucks or buses got caught out by it??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes. One day I had a lot of post to bring to the (now old) post office and while I was walking up, a big truck so you might call it did get stuck at the lahinch side. There was a lot of traffic coming from lahinch up to the bridge as it was. Eventually the driver managed to reverse and go up to lahinch. I think he was aiming to go up that hill towards data display. No way would he have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Would not lifting and moving those two buildings back 5-10 metres be a nice engineering challenge for the Clare Co. Co.?

Ah, come on, hanging a picture would be an engineering challenge for Clare Co Co. They have repeatedly failed the people of Clare and visitors alike.

In respect of these buildings, my own opinion is that they could be knocked with little impact on the heritage, architectural or otherwise, of the town. The redevelopment and rejuvenation of the main street over the past ten years provides a much greater sense of the old town than these two blocks. They are old, damp, partially derelict (most likely) buildings that will serve no other purpose in the future other than looking quaint.

1224310005370_1.jpg?ts=1343998119

Ennistymon's historical Blake's Corner faces battle to avoid demolition

FRANK McDONALD Mon, Jan 09, 2012

CLARE COUNTY Council’s visitor information boards in Ennistymon, erected with the support of Fáilte Ireland, proclaim it as “Baile Stairiúil/Historic Town” and note that its impressive seven-arch masonry bridge spanning the River Cullenagh was built by the O’Briens of Thomond around 1770.

Yet the council itself is planning to demolish a pair of pivotally located mid-19th-century shop buildings right alongside the narrow bridge to make room for a roundabout on the road to Lahinch, 4km to the west of Ennistymon. The aim of this controversial scheme is to regulate summertime tourist traffic.

Both buildings – Blake’s and Linnane’s – are protected structures, having been listed for preservation because of the quality of their original shopfronts, Liscannor-slated roofs and overall proportions.

They have also been featured in books on Irish vernacular architecture and posters of historical shopfronts.

Now owned by the council, the two buildings at Blake’s Corner are vacant and in a seriously dilapidated condition despite a pledge more than a year ago that they would be repaired “shortly”. Such work is now “urgently required”, according to the locally based Save Ennistymon’s Heritage group.

After the buildings were described in October 2010 by the group’s spokesman, Denis Vaughan, as “perilously close to annihilation”, the council’s senior executive engineer Tom Tiernan said: “The council is conscious of its obligations regarding the maintenance of the listed buildings in question and we will shortly be undertaking improvement works.”

In response to queries from The Irish Times, Mr Tiernan said: “Our priorities are to keep the buildings secure and waterproof. The buildings have been vandalised on a number of occasions and we have responded by repairing and securing doors and windows. We have also carried out some internal repairs including plumbing repairs.”

However, it was obvious on a recent visit to Ennistymon that the roof of Blake’s is sagging, slates are missing, gutters clogged by weeds and windows broken; they were only boarded up on the inside to make the buildings more secure.

The roof of a single-storey return to the rear is in a terrible state, with slates sliding down from its ridge.

In order to facilitate its road improvement scheme, the council wants to demolish both buildings and rebuild them on a setback line eight to 10m from their existing location.

A report by Cork-based consultant engineers Southgate and Associates, commissioned by the council, apparently shows how this could be done.

But the report, which was completed some months ago, has not been published. According to Mr Tiernan, it recommends “the careful deconstruction of the buildings and reconstruction of the front portions . . . set back in the site . . . using the original conserved historic fabric to the exact profiles of the buildings as they currently exist”.

Last September, despite an appeal by Fine Gael councillor Joe Arkins to “take the cloak and dagger” out of the plans for Blake’s Corner, members of the council’s north Clare area committee voted to withhold publication of the report until a “Part 8” planning application is made for the road scheme, probably within the next few months.

Minister for Arts and Heritage Jimmy Deenihan said recently that demolition and reconstruction would be “contrary to the thrust” of the 2000 Planning Act and would “require strong justification” as well as “a robust and detailed methodology that demonstrated that such an approach is both feasible and appropriate”.

Mr Deenihan told Clare Labour TD Michael McNamara that his department had also advised the council that “if the envisaged removal and set back were to proceed, a sustainable and suitable new use would have to be found for both structures” that took into account a potential increase in traffic at Blake’s Corner.

According to Mr Tiernan, traffic levels on the road to Lahinch vary from 6,000 to 10,000 vehicles per day in the tourist season, “depending on the weather”, and fall to 3,000 to 4,500 vehicles per day during the winter.

He also pointed out that the junction facilitates traffic heading for Lisdoonvarna in the north as well as Ennis.

The development of an “appropriately designed roundabout” would eliminate the problem of “repeated traffic tailbacks during the tourist season on the Lahinch side of the junction . . . because traffic attempting to negotiate the junction from the Ennis and Lisdoonvarna directions have to cross into opposing lanes”.

Despite claims by Senator Martin Conway of Fine Gael that the existing junction is a “death trap”, Mr Tiernan told The Irish Times: “While there have been a number of minor accidents in the vicinity of Blakes Corner, I am not aware of any deaths or serious injuries . . . given that traffic negotiating the junction must move slowly.”

Asked what was the point of creating a roundabout when the adjoining bridge was so narrow, he accepted that the 18th-century bridge “isn’t as wide as one might wish it to be” and said the council was “examining the possibility of removing the existing footpath across the bridge” and providing an alternative for pedestrians.

But Save Ennistymon’s Heritage insists that demolition of Blake’s Corner would not address the traffic problems. The group rejects “the idea of a Hollywood set” in Ennistymon.

“There are other more constructive options including (1) a part-time one-way traffic system, (2) traffic lights, (3) move the complete building intact, or (4) a bypass,” said Denis Vaughan of the heritage group.

Mr Tiernan said all aspects of the proposed demolition and reconstruction of Blake’s Corner would be “carefully considered”. But he insisted that “the junction has to be improved [because] the entire tourism industry of North Clare is frustrated and compromised by this problem [of traffic tailbacks on approaches to the bridge].”

He also said that alternative approaches had been examined, but the provision of traffic lights or the diversion of traffic through other parts of the town would not “provide much comfort” while the development of a bypass “isn’t realistic . . . in the foreseeable future given that its cost would be in the region of €25 to €30 million”.

According to the 2004 Architectural Heritage Protection Guidelines for Planning Authorities, “the built heritage consists not only of great artistic achievements, but also of the everyday works of craftsmen [that] have a cultural significance which we may recognise for the first time only when individual structures are lost”.

At the end of December, Ennistymon’s most prominent retail premises – Crosbie’s craft shop on the Square – closed down, in what Mr Vaughan described as “a disaster” for the town.

Just six years ago, it won “best traditional shopfront” in the Clare Design and Conservation Awards, sponsored by the county council.

© 2012 The Irish Times
    Looks like as if the council in Ennis is content on seeing the vandals solving the problem for them. :rolleyes:

Have they released that ominous report yet?

. They are old, damp, partially derelict (most likely) buildings that will serve no other purpose in the future other than looking quaint.

spot on, in any other country they would have been knocked down long ago

They are old, damp, partially derelict (most likely) buildings that will serve no other purpose in the future other than looking quaint.
    spot on, in any other country they would have been knocked down long ago

If you had meant any other county, I would have agreed with you as they would probably knock them down too.

But any other country?

I could not imagine an English, French or Dutch town that relies on tourism would take such drastic measures to solve a practical problem.

The solution must accommodate both.

If you had meant any other county, I would have agreed with you as they would probably knock them down too.

But any other country?

I could not imagine an English, French or Dutch town that relies on tourism would take such drastic measures to solve a practical problem.

The solution must accommodate both.

Ennistymon does not rely on tourism, its part of the town’s economy alright but there is industry, agriculture, retail etc etc that all provide part of the town’s economy, the town also provides education and medical facilities to people who travel in via Blakes corner.

The real issue is that Blakes is the main artery to Lahinch and one of two to the cliffs and can't take the traffic

haybob wrote: »

The real issue is that Blakes is the main artery to Lahinch and one of two to the cliffs and can't take the traffic

exactly,

do we have to wait until a fatality before something is done??

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I travel that road every day to and from work. Personally I would be against the knocking of the buildings.

Carazy wrote: »
    I travel that road every day to and from work. Personally I would be against the knocking of the buildings.

The problem in not knocking the bulidlings is that something has to be done, the solution offered by the save Ennistymon heritage is totally inadiquate, the bypass has been suggested its far too expensive at the moment , I suggeated buying the building the other side of the road which would take time and the council already has the money spent, traffic lights or roundabouts will not work either.

exactly,

do we have to wait until a fatality before something is done??

If you want me answer that honestly than yes, nothing will be done till someone dies

• Advertisement

haybob wrote: »
    I suggeated buying the building the other side of the road which would take time and the council already has the money spent, traffic lights or roundabouts will not work either.

you work for the council ?

you work for the council ?

GOD NO, I work for a living, leave me alone about the spelling!!

no i highlighted those words because i thought you were working for the council when you said .."i suggested buying those buildings"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2 Gardai were on point duty there earlier this evening. Heavy traffic. 5 minutes delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

So the plan is to destroy some perfectly good fields to save some abandoned man made structures which are a danger to human life? Wonderful environmental sense. Just demolish them, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

yeah, this is the route we take when i think ennistymon is gonna be a disaster.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=52.909911,-9.231437&daddr=52.909165,-9.24896+to:52.921699,-9.346965&hl=en&ll=52.916614,-9.261045&spn=0.04425,0.132093&sll=52.909937,-9.231434&sspn=0.011064,0.033023&geocode=FVdXJwMdsyNz_w%3BFW1UJwMdQN9y_yl53qhShAVbSDGpXwDgAOrrqQ%3BFWOFJwMda2Bx_w&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=14&via=1

you end up out at near moy beach which is where my parents' house is so good for me, don't know if it's worth it if you have to go down the village as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I accept that your intentions are probably good georgiecasey, but most of that road is NOT suitable for any level of traffic; it is tight, poorly surfaced, over grown with many blind bends and junctions - it is only a country back road. Nor is it fair to those living in the area to be suggesting that it is a suitable alternative route to Lahinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Silvics wrote: »
    So the plan is to destroy some perfectly good fields to save some abandoned man made structures which are a danger to human life? Wonderful environmental sense. Just demolish them, end of story.

I think the plan is a new straight road to west Clare from Ennis, improving the lives of locals and also improving access for tourists hence improving the local economy.

A good 2 lane straight road would put limerick and Galway cities very close.

However this is years away given the current economy so I agree they should be knocked or even relocated to the cliffs of moher or bunratty folk park where they could be enjoyed by tourists.

A false front could be built in exact replica 20 or 30 feet back from where they are at the moment.

I think the plan is a new straight road to west Clare from Ennis, improving the lives of locals and also improving access for tourists hence improving the local economy.

A good 2 lane straight road would put limerick and Galway cities very close.

However this is years away given the current economy so I agree they should be knocked or even relocated to the cliffs of moher or bunratty folk park where they could be enjoyed by tourists.

A false front could be built in exact replica 20 or 30 feet back from where they are at the moment.

Tell you the truth if they want to improve my life (I'm local too) level blakes corner, there is however something to said for conservation and I have to say a bypass or new road are both a lifetime away so relocation seems to be the only alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

Relocation is an alternative if we want to save the buildings but i remember buying sweets at Mary Blakes in the past and to look at the buildings now, they're in pretty bad repair. While conservation is good, you can't save everything and, frankly, if it comes down to these buildings or saving somebody's life, then the buildings quite clearly have to go.

The bottom line is this, if the conservation group want to preserve these buildings, then let them buy them, renovate them and the funds released by the sale could afford the council some other opportunities to remedy the situation. If they won't buy the buildings then the matter comes down to the best use of public money and, in this case, it's clearly the best approach to ensure there is a safe and adequate way to access the Lahinch road from the town.

Finally, in five years time at this rate the buildings will have fallen in, or the vandals that got around to the convent might see to things before that which is an additional problem.

Advertisement