Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

that junction in ennistymon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Were you driving a bus? I couldn't wait an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Were you driving a bus? I couldn't wait an hour.

no, just a regular joe going to Lahinch for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't understand the fascination with everyone piling back to Lahinch at the first sight of fine weather, there are some far nicer beaches in Clare that are far more accessible with nicer drives back to them, personally I like to head back to Spanish Point or the White Strand of places like that via Miltown, either that or back to Kilkee.
    Was in Milltown today working and decided to go to White strand for my lunch
    big mistake .The place was thronged with cars every where even charging 2 e to park in a field. I suppose Willie Clancy and the sun so got out of there fast and came home early :).

fryup wrote: »
    no, just a regular joe going to Lahinch for the day

Ah right, there are a few alternative routes you can take that will bring you out the kilshanny side of Ennistymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I believe councillor Bill Slattery and a some high profile local business people were on Joe Duffy today. Now I'm not a hugh fan of Joe or Councillor Slattery for that matter but the last 3 week have been hell and the issue need to be addresses.

Someone might fill us in on what was said please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

haybob wrote: »
    Someone might fill us in on what was said please

there's a link to the item half way down this page

btw, i'm surprised clare fm's morning focus doesn't cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Knocking stuff at the corner isn't going to improve matters much. The bridge is too narrow. Building a bypass for what is mostly seasonal traffic, and it's a very short season generally, isn't very cost effective. Maybe signage could be erected to better explain the alternative routes to people. There are two other bridges only a couple of miles either side of Ennistimon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If its very busy or sunny, I would take the back road (from church street in ennistymon go out the kilfenora road, swing left and go around). Takes about 15 minutes to get to lahinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Mr. G wrote: »
    If its very busy or sunny, I would take the back road (from church street in ennistymon go out the kilfenora road, swing left and go around). Takes about 15 minutes to get to lahinch.

Yea. Like half the day trippers and holiday makers are doing. Narrow roads. Too many bends. Bushes and vegitation growing out too far. Abandoned by the council.
    Isn't absolutely crazy, to have a dead straight, almost flat, wide safe road, with a wide cycle / pedestrian lane, recently upgraded road between the bridge in Ennistymon and Lahinch, being abandoned in favour of the back road dirts tracks, fit only for minimal traffic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yea. Like half the day trippers and holiday makers are doing. Narrow roads. Too many bends. Bushes and vegitation growing out too far. Abandoned by the council.
    Isn't absolutely crazy, to have a dead straight, almost flat, wide safe road, with a wide cycle / pedestrian lane, recently upgraded road between the bridge in Ennistymon and Lahinch, being abandoned in favour of the back road dirts tracks, fit only for minimal traffic.

I know its not ideal, but you could argue the road from Kilfenora to Corofin is just as bad a road(in particular to Kilinaboy).

What do you think will really solve the problem? Is knocking Blakes and building a roundabout really going to stop the tail back further back?

To be honest there are much better beaches then lahinch in the country anyway.

• Advertisement

Knocking stuff at the corner isn't going to improve matters much. The bridge is too narrow. Building a bypass for what is mostly seasonal traffic, and it's a very short season generally, isn't very cost effective. Maybe signage could be erected to better explain the alternative routes to people. There are two other bridges only a couple of miles either side of Ennistimon.

Knocking it will improve things, I agree with you about the bypass however there is another alternative where the council could buy the building the other side of ther road where off the rails is.

AGAIN I ask those who wish to preserve Ennistymon what about the old fordge and the buildings up parliment street ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

They need to look at what is feasible given the current budget constraints.

I'd go with knocking the houses on the corner and widening the bridge. Can't imagine it should cost more than €2m. Also maybe pedestrian / cycle bridges up and down stream of the road bridge.

Plenty of room to widen the bridge upstream of the current bridge.

Even cheaper would be knock the houses and put in a metal prefabricated pedestrian / cycle footbridge, using the existing footpaths for road pavement.

Its a small enough river, almost dry at the moment so engineering works can't be too complicated so shouldn't be too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Council should just go in with a digger and knock the damned thing. Enough of the horse****.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

All they need to do is put in traffic lights & as long as they are spaced far enough back from the junction to allow for the wide berth that long vehicles need to negotiate the turn - problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Jim Martin wrote: »
    All they need to do is put in traffic lights & as long as they are spaced far enough back from the junction to allow for the wide berth that long vehicles need to negotiate the turn - problem solved!

I suspect that 2 buses / camper vans / trucks will still struggle to pass on the bridge, but a pedestrian bridge outside and removing the footpaths would cheaply solve that problem.

Next problem though is that Ennistymon acts as a filter, the first roundabout at Ennis will be the bottleneck instead every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

relaxed wrote: »
    I suspect that 2 buses / camper vans / trucks will still struggle to pass on the bridge, but a pedestrian bridge outside and removing the footpaths would cheaply solve that problem.

Next problem though is that Ennistymon acts as a filter, the first roundabout at Ennis will be the bottleneck instead every evening.

Then locate the traffic light on the Lahinch road before the bridge - again, problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

relaxed wrote: »

You are having a laugh. Very little traffic will come of the ring road going into ennis here on this roundabout, So Traffic on the Lahinch road should rarely have to stop yield on entry here. Secondly there is 2 options open to traffic here go into Ennis or the ring road. If there is a delay on the traffic into ennis you can still go down the ring road and exit on beech road, Kilrush or Clarecastle roundabouts.

As regards Ennistymon, there is room to build a bridge between the Post Office and the bakery on the ennis road. Then have a one way system Blakes Corner with a left only turn for Ennistymon Traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Then locate the traffic light on the Lahinch road before the bridge - again, problem solved!

Jimmy your missing the problem I am afriad,the problem is them old buildings which need to be bulldozed asap,I have passed this place once or twice a year and it would make you sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

The council owns the houses-it paid €600,000 for them.Another €200,000 has been spent on EIS/consultant reports/maintenance. Money that can be better spent elsewhere.
    We cannot preserve things for the sake of preservation. Pull them down immediately, make the turn safe, and allow a better view of the river. No more public money on this nonsense, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Solution found for Blakes Corner traffic issues (Clare Herald) :)

A briefing of Councillors by Roughan and O’Donovan Consulting Engineers, who had been engaged by the Council to review the issue and design a scheme to deal with the problem, has confirmed that the emerging preferred solution would involve the construction of an inner relief road incorporating a new bridge across the Inagh River 80 metres upstream of the existing Conway Bridge and Blakes Corner.

The proposed inner relief road would link the Ennis Road with the Lahinch Road and would also involve an upgrading and realignment of Bogbere Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

The "solution" apparently involves the demolition of a number of other buildings, including occupied homes and a business West Clare Flowers who has posted the following on their Facebook page:

Hi everyone.
    I really cant believe I am having to actually having to do this. I am asking for your help. As some of you might know Clare Co Council have come up with a solution to the traffic congestion at Blakes Corner. This involves building a new bridge across the river, without touching the two unoccupied (and derelict) buildings at Blakes Corner.
    What the Council do not mention is that their "solution" involves knocking several other buildings to the ground - my flower shop together with our family home, the old post office (now social welfare office) and the O'Donoghue family home on the Ennis road (these are elderly couple, both with disabilities who have had their home specially adapted and do not want to be forced out of their home).
    Our homes and businesses are being sacrificed because Clare Co Co have decided it an easier option to knock these family homes and businesses to the ground rather than to move back Blakes corner, The council already paid over €600,000 to buy these two buildings.
    I'm in favour of preserving Ennistymons past. But what about Ennistymons future? We need the support of everyone in our community to stand together with us and fight for the town. I am asking Clare Co Co to make the brave decision, and one that I feel the majority of the public are in agreement with - move back the buildings on Blakes corner. Make it safe.

May I ask, when the council refers to it's future rehabilitation plans for the Blakes/Linnanes buildings, exactly what do they have in mind? Are the just going to be preserved to be admired by a passer by or are they actually going to put them to use??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I can't see the fascination with keeping Blake's Corner where it is, it's extremely badly maintained and any work to restore it won't be possible due to it's location next to the main road. I know there is great interest in the shop fronts and the slate roof and they should be maintained, can't see why they can't be relocated to the Folk Park in Bunratty where they could be protected correctly.

muggles wrote: »
    The "solution" apparently involves the demolition of a number of other buildings, including occupied homes and a business West Clare Flowers . . .

Why can’t they start the relief road / new bridge just before Linnane’s Undertakers as one enters the town?

See Google map.

muggles wrote: »
    . . . What the Council do not mention is that their "solution" involves knocking several other buildings to the ground - my flower shop together with our family home, the old post office (now social welfare office) and a family home on the Ennis road (these are elderly couple, both with disabilities who have had their home specially adapted and do not want to be forced out of their home).

Is the facebook poster referring to the post office building on Bogbere Street?

See Google map.

See Google map.

Yes. Flower shop is on the corner. A lot of shops have been there and closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

See Google map.

I think that's the spot Brennan's Row. From looking at google maps, that cream painted building adjoining the post office is where West Clare Flowers business is located.

I wonder if the Armstead shop opposite the post office (which has a traditional shop front) will be knocked?

ay46go.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Was in Ennistymon this morning and also listened to Clare FM debate. This is far from over. There is a real anger in the town at the way this has been handled. It seems councillors had a briefing on Monday on the possible solutions and opted for the current proposal. What a shame no one thought to consult or inform those whose homes and businesses will be affected, until Tues evening. What a shabby and disrespectful way for all concerned to behave. One of the families affected are an elderly couple who are both disabled.
    As has been pointed out there are 34 buildings listed in Ennistymon yet the concern is only for these 2. Save Ennistymon Heritage have never explained why this is.

Is the old forge listed ? I imagine that would have to go too

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wonder if the Armstead shop opposite the post office (which has a traditional shop front) will be knocked?
    haybob wrote: »
    Is the old forge listed ? I imagine that would have to go too

Hopefully not!

Since we have yet to see a map with the proposed route, I roughly plotted a possible scenario in the attachment below.

Firstly, the “inner relief road” is proposed to start just 80 metres upstream from the bridge, which probably means at the carpark alongside the bakery?

Then the corner of Bogbere Street / Lahinch Road is to be realigned in order to accommodate the new bridge crossing?

In my opinion an “outer relief road” would be a better option.

For example, the old railway-line from the Ennis Road to Lahinch Road would have made an ideal route for such an “outer relief road”.

Alas, this is no longer possible as some houses have now been built on it.

Advertisement