Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky fight night: Warrington title defence.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    He may not have been at his best, but the Sky Team, as usual, were OTT

And, he was getting proper hurt when Lara was tagging him...this can have an effect on your own plan, your own workrate etc.....

It's all well and good being like a demon when you ate not getting tagged hard and rocked and hurt.......Josh was a little more hesitant and reluctant because of this.

Very much OTT. I couldn’t believe that Mathew Mackin wasn’t even scoring the fight. Surely he’s expected to do that every fight. Why else do it for the kiko fight.

Ok to say that I guess but from the first round he was giving up the centre of the ring and trying to fight off the back foot. Not his game. Shows how one dimensional he is.

His best work was probably after the 4th. But at the end of every round he was very nice. I thought a bit more spite would have helped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sky have put the fight up on YouTube. Adam Smith is the commentator, I was watching DAZN coverage so I had a different commentator.

Nick Halling was the main commentator on DAZN, Paul Smith on co-commentary, and Chris Lloyd chipping in now and then.
    Lloyd is the guy who does the TKO boxing podcast with Frampton, and does make decent observations now and then.

The only time I thought Warrington made any dent in Lara, was when Lara was recklessly boring in trying to finish him in the 5th, Lara backed off and calmed down after eating some clean shots in those exchanges, even though Warrington's legs were still gone.

I thought Warrington looked himself until that 4th round, the only difference from normal was he had no respect for Lara, and likely didn't believe the Mexican had anything to trouble him, so he was being careless and leaving himself open.
    After that round he was fighting on instinct for me, and actually did well considering, but never fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭blade1

squinn2912 wrote: »

Lara’s eye was in terrible shape as well so he had some success.

Thought a headbutt had a lot to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

..just re-watching the fight. Bloody disgrace that wasn't stopped in the fourth. His legs had stopped functioning. All this talk of doing favours and bravery doesn't sit well at all. Plenty of the fighters that have suffered catastrophic injury over the years were brave. How the referee could watch Warrington's movement over that last minute and not wave it off is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭squinn2912

bugler wrote: »
    ..just re-watching the fight. Bloody disgrace that wasn't stopped in the fourth. His legs had stopped functioning. All this talk of doing favours and bravery doesn't sit well at all. Plenty of the fighters that have suffered catastrophic injury over the years were brave. How the referee could watch Warrington's movement over that last minute and not wave it off is appalling.

The way he walked back to the corner he was all over the place. Makes it all the more remarkable that he recovered enough to come out and win the 5th. By the time he got KO’d he had nothing left and was a worrying sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I must admit I feared for him when he was lying on the canvas at the end of the fight as he looked totally motionless and I never like to see doctors scurrying around a ring, al in all it was a big relief to see him sitting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »
    The way he walked back to the corner he was all over the place. Makes it all the more remarkable that he recovered enough to come out and win the 5th. By the time he got KO’d he had nothing left and was a worrying sight.

Had Lara been a more ruthless and accurate finisher, I reckon Josh was gone in the first 20 seconds of the 5th

He was a sitting duck......then he got a bit of an energy burst....

So according to an interview Warrington did, he suffered a fractured jaw, a shoulder injury and a perforated eardrum !!! How the hell did he make it to the 9th round, savage stuff when you think about it.

So according to an interview Warrington did, he suffered a fractured jaw, a shoulder injury and a perforated eardrum !!! How the hell did he make it to the 9th round, savage stuff when you think about it.

Indeed.

But injuries sometimes can be misleading...

One of my easiest fights I suffered a broken jaw from one punch......

Josh actually landed just as much as Lara....just not the same effect-impact.

Indeed.

But injuries sometimes can be misleading...

One of my easiest fights I suffered a broken jaw from one punch......

Josh actually landed just as much as Lara....just not the same effect-impact.

Yeah but surely if you have a fractured jaw and someone lands flush on it then the pain is going to be excruciating? I know the adrenaline kicks in but surely it does not last another 15 mins.
    As for the perforated eardrum, that would have to adversely effect your balance surely?

• Advertisement

Yeah but surely if you have a fractured jaw and someone lands flush on it then the pain is going to be excruciating? I know the adrenaline kicks in but surely it does not last another 15 mins.
    As for the perforated eardrum, that would have to adversely effect your balance surely?

Many instances of fighters fighting many rounds with injuries, including broken jaws..

I am not dismissing the injuries.. But they need context I suppose

When exactly did they happen, for example..

Many instances of fighters fighting many rounds with injuries, including broken jaws...

Yeah that is true now that you say it, I remember Ricky Burns fighting Raymundo Beltrán with a broken jaw for 10 rounds .... mad stuff but Burns was hard as nails and teak tough

Advertisement