Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky fight night: Warrington title defence.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hopefully Warrington is okay, it's amazing he lasted as long.

Interesting thing about Lara, I glanced at his record, 14 stoppages in 21 wins, doesn't look amazing.
    But if you look at the guys he didn't stop they nearly all seem to be very durable.
    It certainly looked like he could punch a bit more than his record suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Lara’s behaviour is impeccable. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 54,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Shows you how dangerous this sport is..

Josh looks really shook..

It’s legal assault, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's ridiculous to think of the rules that they apply for safety in rugby and see how long they see a man get battered round the ring in boxing and still continue.

Apparently the judges have given Warrington the fight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Those awkward swing from the hips kinda guys all have power. Warrington reminded me of frampton the time he got put down twice in the first round. Just looked shadowy

Lara’s behaviour is impeccable. Fair play

Were they not critical of him when he won, he was celebrating?
    I was a bit confused to be honest, he seemed to be pointing at Warrington when he was on the ground, I didn't know whether he was mocking him or telling the doctors to get to him quick.

It's ridiculous to think of the rules that they apply for safety in rugby and see how long they see a man get battered round the ring in boxing and still continue.

Not comparable..

Object of boxing is to inflict trauma on your opponent...

Lethal sport!

Apparently the judges have given Warrington the fight!!!

You know I think having watched the previous fight, it might have helped Lara to understand that he either knocked Warrington out or got a bogey decision.

That’s like a man that should be taken to hospital he’s not right at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I was a bit confused to be honest, he seemed to be pointing at Warrington when he was on the ground, I didn't know whether he was mocking him or telling the doctors to get to him quick.

He was urging the doctors in, not celebrating.

No defo telling the docs to get in, it was Lara’s corner got in first

You know I think having watched the previous fight, it might have helped Lara to understand that he either knocked Warrington out or got a bogey decision.

You could be right there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Telling the docs to get in quick to be fair to him. Stood in the neutral corner during the entire time and the commentary team said his response was impeccable particularly for a 22 year old so don't think anyone was criticising him

No defo telling the docs to get in, it was Lara’s corner got in first

yeah that's what I thought, but the commentary said that they had to stop him from celebrating! (unless I'm going deaf which is also a possibility)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Warrington number 1 at FW?

What.....?

Sorry, never really rated him..

Jonny Nelson talking sense. Shocker!

I take it that it’s a given that Josh goes to a hospital?

Yes, Nelson not holding back

Anyway, wasn’t too long ago that Foster was slated roundly for probably saving George Groves from serious injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭The White Feather

He would have stopped Lara. That's for sure

Commentators just said the same thing

• Advertisement

Frampton had Kiko winning 7-5

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/1360714877879390215

How can a professional boxer look at a fight and score it 7-5 and two "professional" judges look at the same fight and score it 2-10?

walshb wrote: »

What.....?

Totally agree. His best achievements were against selby and frampton who we’re both on the downward curve. Brings the heat and volume and has fair speed but no power. I thought Galahad beat him too.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Totally agree. His best achievements were against selby and frampton who we’re both on the downward curve. Brings the heat and volume and has fair speed but no power. I thought Galahad beat him too.

Dropping the strap to avoid a rematch with Galahad is a real bad psychological move as well I would think.

Frampton had Kiko winning 7-5

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/1360714877879390215

How can a professional boxer look at a fight and score it 7-5 and two "professional" judges look at the same fight and score it 2-10?

It can easily happen..

No such thing as a perfect judge..

Fight scoring has always been subjective..

I didn’t score the Kiko fight, so can’t comment on it yet as regards the cards..

What.....?

In fairness, beating Selby and Frampton defo entitles him to be rated, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Jonny Nelson talking sense. Shocker!

He made a good point about the way Warrington took shots and lack of movement late on.

He took 5 hard headshots just before the KO, which was brutal, he was done earlier on. Really hope he's not badly damaged

In fairness, beating Selby and Frampton defo entitles him to be rated, in my opinion.

Selby?

Who has Selby beaten? Nobody worth a wa&k..

Frampton win was good, but Carl was not at his prime..

Not saying Warrington should not be rated, but this matter of fact claim from Sky that he is number 1 is gick

Anyway, wasn’t too long ago that Foster was slated roundly for probably saving George Groves from serious injury...

Lara would have been stopped if roles were reversed. Warrington was in a much worse place than Groves when Groves was stopped.
    I'd never blame a ref for stopping a fight but you can blame him for not stopping one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What.....?

It's a soft division and Russell jr only ever fights once a year, and the opponent isn't always that great.

Warrington has beaten Selby, Frampton and Galahad in the last 3 years. Even if you don't think much of him that resume has to be respected.

The Ring had him #1 before this, not that their rankings mean much these days.

• Advertisement

It can easily happen.. No such thing as a perfect judge..

If you can legitimately accept one person scoring a fight 7-5 and another person scoring the same fight as 2-10, then the scoring system is way too liberal. And prone to corruption.

Advertisement