Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

Was hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on my situation. Got into crypto in late 2017 - early 2018 and made a bit of money initially, but of course hodl'd and my gains got wiped out. Mostly holding **** coins at this stage. When things started going down massively I kinda just wrote off the whole thing as an expensive lesson and forgot about it. Was pretty angry at myself for being so stupid tbh. Probably put in about 3.5k and it's worth maybe 500 now.

Anyway, fast forward to now and it's looking like I'll make about a 10k capital gains tax profit on some stock. I never declared any of crypto gains/losses and I'm wondering if I can write these off now? I saw penalties for non declaring were mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm wondering how large these will be too? Any advice would be very appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Bob24 wrote: »
    Other posters have explained clearly that GGT is due, but in case anyone still thinks exchanging one asset for another doesn’t trigger CGT, Revenue’s website is pretty clear (just read the bits I highlighted and it is crystal clear): https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/index.aspx

What if I lost my keys?
    What if the exchange went into liquidation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dont you just love governments etc with their stance to crypto

they want to bash it and ban it and say its a scam but when you make any profit from it they want their 30% CGT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bingobars wrote: »
    What if I lost my keys?
    What if the exchange went into liquidation?

If the exchange looses your holdings and they are deemed unrecoverable, I believe you can make a claim for negligible value as discussed on the previous page: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114482022&postcount=54

It is at Revenue's appreciation, but I assume lost keys would be considered to be your problem however, as it is more due to personal negligence (plus it would be hard to prove with certainty that a wallet used to be yours and that you now have no chance of recovering the keys for it anymore).

Anyone shed light on the penalties that could be owed in my situation? If anyone has a good accountant based in Dublin area who can advise please dm me their details. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Was hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on my situation. Got into crypto in late 2017 - early 2018 and made a bit of money initially, but of course hodl'd and my gains got wiped out. Mostly holding **** coins at this stage. When things started going down massively I kinda just wrote off the whole thing as an expensive lesson and forgot about it. Was pretty angry at myself for being so stupid tbh. Probably put in about 3.5k and it's worth maybe 500 now.

Anyway, fast forward to now and it's looking like I'll make about a 10k capital gains tax profit on some stock. I never declared any of crypto gains/losses and I'm wondering if I can write these off now? I saw penalties for non declaring were mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm wondering how large these will be too? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Just to clarify: have the cryptocurrencies for which you want to record a loss been sold already, or they are still in your possession and you are planning to dispose of them to generate the loss and offset it against you other capital gains?

And also, is you concern to get a penalty for not having declared your losses earlier?

Just to clarify: have the cryptocurrencies for which you want to record a loss been sold already, or they are still in your possession and you are planning to dispose of them to generate the loss and offset it against you other capital gains?

And also, is you concern to get a penalty for not having declared your losses earlier?

You are correct on both accounts. They are still in my possession, but I'm thinking of selling now to record the loss to offset the capital gains. Yes, I am concerned about the penalties and how high these would be.

You are correct on both accounts. They are still in my possession, but I'm thinking of selling now to record the loss to offset the capital gains. Yes, I am concerned about the penalties and how high these would be.

With the caveat that I’m not a tax advisor ans this is just my opinion, I really don’t think you have any issue here.

Since you haven’t sold those assets, you haven’t realised any loss yet, so unless I am mistaken you aren’t behind with declaring anything or at risk of any penalty.

So basically you could sell them now, and on your CGT return for this year you just declare the loss on the crypto and then gain on the shares (you will not be late to declare anything as both the shares and crypto will have been disposed of this year). And Revenue should calculate your CGT due as: gains on your shares minus losses on your crypto minus 1270 (1270 euros is your yearly personal CGT exemption).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

If you purchased a specific asset and did not sell it/exchange it then you haven't created a taxable event. If you exchanged one crypto currency for another that's a taxable event. Whether there is a gain or a loss is for you to work out based on your own records.

If you literally bought some Cryptocurrency and did nothing with it then no taxable event has taken place. You can sell them now and include their loss in your calculations for the CGT due on your gain.

There's no penalties if no taxable event has taken place yet.

Hmm, but from the trade of btc to eth and then buying gnt with eth I believe there should be cgt on each of these transactions. If these happened in 2018 how would I calculate the penalties? I will get an accountant but just want to have a ball park for what I'm looking at here. Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement

Hmm, but from the trade of btc to eth and then buying gnt with eth I believe there should be cgt on each of these transactions. If these happened in 2018 how would I calculate the penalties? I will get an accountant but just want to have a ball park for what I'm looking at here. Thanks for the replies!

Ah OK I missed-out the fact that you have been trading cryptos for other cryptos back then. Yes CGT is due on these and if there were large gains than 1270 euros on those trades you might have an issue.

Cheers Bob, so let's map out the following:

Sep 2017 bought two eth at 350.

Jan 2018 Traded one eth for gnt. Price of gnt put vlaue of one eth at 500 (+150)

Feb 2018 Traded one eth for gnt. Price of gnt put vlaue of one eth at 600 (+250)

Oct 2020 Sell all my gnt for 200 (200 - 1100) so I have -900

I owe cgt for 2018 if I exceeded the tax free threshold, but I could sell everything this year to make a loss to write off against my cgt.

Hmm, trying to figure out if a made more than 1270 via my trades back in 2018 should be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I owe cgt for 2018 if I exceeded the tax free threshold, but I could sell everything this year to make a loss to write off against my cgt.
    You can set your losses for this year against your gains for this year, or you can carry them forward to set off against losses for future years. You can't carry them back to set off against gains in past years.
    Hmm, trying to figure out if a made more than 1270 via my trades back in 2018 should be fun...
    On the figures you give, no, you didn't. You made gains of 150 + 250 = 400. Unless you made other gains in 2018 that you haven't mentioned that would bring your total for 2018 over 1,270?

Ah sorry, meant CGT gains this year. I made more trades than the examples but I'd be surprised if they were above 1,270 in profit, perhaps a very small amount. The hodl killed me tbh. This has really helped my understanding, thanks folks.

Ah sorry, meant CGT gains this year. I made more trades than the examples but I'd be surprised if they were above 1,270 in profit, perhaps a very small amount. The hodl killed me tbh. This has really helped my understanding, thanks folks.

Yeah assuming the gains you made in 2018 are below 1270 euros, you don't have any pending liability or risk of being fined based one what you said.

As Peregrinus said, in 2018 the CGT you would have owed is for the disposal of your two ETH (400 euros in total). Since this is below the yearly allowance of 1270 you don't owe Revenue anything for that year, so not risk of fine/penalty.

Now in in 2020 you have a loss of 900 euros for the disposal of your GNT. This can be offset against any gains you made on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Yeah assuming the gains you made in 2018 are below 1270 euros, you don't have any pending liability or risk of being fined based one what you said.

As Peregrinus said, in 2018 the CGT you would have owed is for the disposal of your two ETH (400 euros in total). Since this is below the yearly allowance of 1270 you don't owe Revenue anything for that year, so not risk of fine/penalty.

Now in in 2020 you have a loss of 900 euros for the disposal of your GNT. This can be offset against any gains you made on something else.

Does anyone know how Revenue distinguishes between trader and joe soap who makes some trades?
    My return shows ~400 trades yet these can be maybe 30 trades broken up (eg sell at market value, so the price fluctuates, meaning more than one trade made)

Does the revenue have a limit on amount of trades before i pay the 20/40% instead of cgt?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Does anyone know how Revenue distinguishes between trader and joe soap who makes some trades?
    My return shows ~400 trades yet these can be maybe 30 trades broken up (eg sell at market value, so the price fluctuates, meaning more than one trade made)

Does the revenue have a limit on amount of trades before i pay the 20/40% instead of cgt?

No, there's no set number of trades that tips you into being a trader, or not being a trader. It's a judgment that has to take into account a number of factors - size of trades, frequency of trades, number of trades, degree of system and method involved, amount of time you devote to the activity, etc, etc.

If you're giving about 30 instructions per year, that's less than one a week. Unless you're trading pretty large amounts each time, or consistently spending a good amount of time researching the markets and choosing the timing and volume of your trades, I wouildn't think you are likely to be viewed as carrying on a trade.

In general the revenue default to treating activities like this as investment, not trade. Nine times out of ten when there's a row about this its because the taxpayer claims to be carrying on a trade (because he has made losses, and he wants to set them off against the income from his day job) and the Revenue insisting that, no, his activity does not amount to a trade. It's comparatively unusual for the fight to be the other way around.

Agree with the above, and I would add that whether or not the taxpayer has a full time job and is a PAYE worker might play a role as well (if someone is paying taxes on a full time job to Revenue which has nothing to do with trading, it seems hard to argue that their main activity is to be a professional trader).

Agree with the above, and I would add that whether or not the taxpayer has a full time job and is a PAYE worker might play a role as well (if someone is paying taxes on a full time job to Revenue which has nothing to do with trading, it seems hard to argue that their main activity is to be a professional trader).
    Well, yes, but, on a nitpick, the question is not whether your main activity is as a professional trader; it's just whether you're carrying on a trade. You can certainly carry on a trade part-time, and derive only the smaller part of your income from it. I recall a case of a man who had a five-days-a-week paid job, but also kept a small antique shop which only traded on Saturdays and bank holidays, and largely catered to tourists/visitors. The shop barely covered its own expenses but it was a trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, yes, but, on a nitpick, the question is not whether your main activity is as a professional trader; it's just whether you're carrying on a trade. You can certainly carry on a trade part-time, and derive only the smaller part of your income from it. I recall a case of a man who had a five-days-a-week paid job, but also kept a small antique shop which only traded on Saturdays and bank holidays, and largely catered to tourists/visitors. The shop barely covered its own expenses but it was a trade.

And to back you up there, it is generally considered a trade by Revenue if you sell 6 or more cars per year. Below that, cars are considered your private cars and all profits are tax free. Above that, you pay income tax at your marginal rate (over your profits)

This is independent on whether you are PAYE or not, whether you have another business or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Can someone generally point me in the direction of where I can understand the whole cashing out/paying 33% capital gains taxmore easily?

I have been trading alt coins since 2016 on 5 different exchanges.. with 2 different bank accounts.. with many gains/losses in between. I have not kept track one bit..and have sold BTC for one coin, then to another coin and so on.. then back into BTC hundreds of times. 1000s of different transactions.. is filing the revenue form as simple as attaching an export of these trade sheets?

Are Revenue actually looking for the full profit/loss on each trade.... If so that'll be an enjoyable task.

You need to calculate the gain/loss on each trade, expressed in euros. Yes, it's a fun task. It will be made even more fun by the fact that you have allowed four years worth of trades to accumulate before starting the task. Plus, you may be looking at penalties/interest in respect of the earlier years because you are making your returns after the due date. So I wouldn't put this off any longer; it just gets funner and funner if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Isn't the point of crypto that it's difficult to trace? Couldn't you just continue trading without declaring any of it and say it was all lost? Revenue arent going to be bothered going back and tracking all your shltcoins unless you're Al Capone or something. I'd nearly pay them whatever fee to calculate that for me past a certain point.

I'm not currently trading, for the record. Made €7k on just Litecoin in 2018 and declared it to revenue when I cashed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Isn't the point of crypto that it's difficult to trace? .

every transaction is recorded

Recorded by whoever undertook the transaction.

The initial transaction usually being bank to crypto dealer, after this money is out of the banking system, it's a lot more difficult for revenue to ascertain what has happened it.

ie €2,000 purchase of cryptocurrency
    exchange cc1 profit for cc2&3
    losses made, balancing any profit

You're hardly expected to declare every single crypto transaction you do to Revenue? I don't send them my bank statements to them every year, why should they be briefed on this, especially if they're not likely to make any money off pursuing it?

There are full-on state surveillance levels of involvement being suggested by posters here.

Isn't the point of crypto that it's difficult to trace?

In short: no.

The initial transaction usually being bank to crypto dealer, after this money is out of the banking system, it's a lot more difficult for revenue to ascertain what has happened it.

If you are transacting in Bitcoins, every transaction is publicly available on the blockchain.

The IRS in the US already have all the blockchain analytics software they need to track transactions (and I suspect a few other large European countries as well as Japan/Korea are as well). I doubt Revenue is up to speed yet, but eventually they will be.

Heh, I'd better tell that to all the lads who are dealing drugs on the dark web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Dnxncofiruwvx

Heh, I'd better tell that to all the lads who are dealing drugs on the dark web.

They generally use Monero these days, which doesn’t have a public ledger and in theory at least provides anonymous transactions through a process known as ring signatures. Monero is the exception to the rule however when it comes to crypto transactions, most are verifiable on the blockchain, that’s the point of it.

I do agree with you that unless you’re a whale revenue probably aren’t going through every transaction you’ve made. They could if they wanted, but it would require so much in resourcing to go after everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

ie €2,000 purchase of cryptocurrency
    exchange cc1 profit for cc2&3
    losses made, balancing any profit

You're hardly expected to declare every single crypto transaction you do to Revenue? I don't send them my bank statements to them every year, why should they be briefed on this, especially if they're not likely to make any money off pursuing it?

There are full-on state surveillance levels of involvement being suggested by posters here.

You are engaged in a taxable activity. Its your responsibility to ensure you are compliant as it's a self assessed system. You file your CGT return each year but don't attach your workings showing every transaction unless requested. If you are requested during an intervention and you can't back up your figures, that's when you'll have possibly significant issues.

Advertisement