Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto tax situation - Read post 1 for thread banned users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

Anyway. If BTC is going above 100k in this cycle all bitcoiners should pack them bags and move to better location. Isle of Man?
    33 % CGT - mafia treat you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've been working and living abroad (EU), planning on moving back to Ireland in the next year or two.

I kept my Irish savings account open, and now and then having been selling off some crypto and moving it to my Irish savings a/c. I'm not earning money other than that into my Irish account, and have no PAYE contributions for the past 4 years or so.

I want to get on top of my crypto tax now, and make sure I pay whatever is due. Does my situation of earning and living abroad have any impact on how I should go about this? I was moving this into my Irish savings and not my foreign account to take advantage of the €1,270 CGT exemption.

I've been using Electrum wallet, which seems to give a good calculation of profit/loss made on each transaction, so that documentation side of things should be easier. My question is more from the point of view of what forms I should use to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not quite. If you convert from one crypto to another, that's a disposal and if you realise a gain at that point you have to account for CGT. If you sell your crypto at all that's a disposal; it doesn't matter whether you are selling it for fiat or not.

I had this debate recently. The person I was talking to has some crypto that he bought about 4 years ago. BTC (from EUR to BTC) and ETH (from some of the BTC to ETH). He said he doesn't have to pay any CGT until either goes back to Euro. I tried to argue that he would have to pay CGT when going from BTC to ETH but I didn't know enough to explain it. Is his ETH essentially worthless (legally) now since he hasn't made his tax payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I had this debate recently. The person I was talking to has some crypto that he bought about 4 years ago. BTC (from EUR to BTC) and ETH (from some of the BTC to ETH). He said he doesn't have to pay any CGT until either goes back to Euro. I tried to argue that he would have to pay CGT when going from BTC to ETH but I didn't know enough to explain it. Is his ETH essentially worthless (legally) now since he hasn't made his tax payments?

Only a matter of time before revenue compiles a list of every irish citizen whos suspected of being involved in crytocurrency and conducts audits more invasive than an alien abduction cavity probing.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before revenue compiles a list of every irish citizen whos suspected of being involved in crytocurrency and conducts audits more invasive than an alien abduction cavity probing.... :D

Good luck to them doing this while there's double-figure unemployment levels on the cards.

And people holding bags of ****coins to 0 to offset CGT gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Good luck to them doing this while there's double-figure unemployment levels on the cards.

And people holding bags of ****coins to 0 to offset CGT gains.

Well surely they'll be desperate to squeeze as much tax as possible from any source?

The IRS in the states have been really on the case of anything to do with crypto since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,181 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, it's worth what anyone will pay for it. But his tax lilablity remains (assuming he realised a gain when seling the BTC) and interest and penalties are accruing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

That’s like buying a bag of apples and trading half for a few oranges. How do you pay a tax liability from an orange even though it has value to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    That’s like buying a bag of apples and trading half for a few oranges. How do you pay a tax liability from an orange even though it has value to someone

With your own money. Hopefully you're not all-in on apples and oranges but Revenue will want their cut and don't care if all you've got in your strangely bulbous wallet is apples and oranges.

You don't have a tax liability from the oranges. You have a tax liablity from the gain (if any) accruing on the disposal of the apples.

Suppose you buy the apples at 10c each. Later, you exchange three apples for 2 oranges. Oranges, at this time, cost 20c each. So, the acquisition cost of your three apples, at 10c each, was 30c. You have disposed of them for 2 oranges, whose value (in total) is 40c (since it would have cost you 40c to buy two oranges). Your gain on disposal of the apples is (40c - 30c =) 10c. Your CGT is calculated on that gain.

It's not that hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

There are no special rules for Cryptocurrencies as confirmed by Revenue, so for most of what I've seen posted, normal CGT rules would apply.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/financial-services/cryptocurrencies/index.aspx

If you want to clarify your position regarding your activities, you could always contact Revenue for a response in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Other posters have explained clearly that GGT is due, but in case anyone still thinks exchanging one asset for another doesn’t trigger CGT, Revenue’s website is pretty clear (just read the bits I highlighted and it is crystal clear): https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/index.aspx
    Revenue wrote:
    CGT is a tax you pay on any capital gain (profit) made when you dispose of an asset.
    Revenue wrote:
    An asset is something of value that can be converted into cash. You have disposed of an asset if you have:
    * sold it
    * gifted it
    * exchanged it
    * got compensation or insurance for it.

You don't have a tax liability from the oranges. You have a tax liablity from the gain (if any) accruing on the disposal of the apples.

Suppose you buy the apples at 10c each. Later, you exchange three apples for 2 oranges. Oranges, at this time, cost 20c each. So, the acquisition cost of your three apples, at 10c each, was 30c. You have disposed of them for 2 oranges, whose value (in total) is 40c (since it would have cost you 40c to buy two oranges). Your gain on disposal of the apples is (40c - 30c =) 10c. Your CGT is calculated on that gain.

It's not that hard.
    Keeping track of the BTC trades is a nightmare

It can be a pain for sure, but the taxman doesn’t care ...

Actually, the same way some stock brokers calculate this automatically and provide a nice report at the end of the year; there is probably a market for exchanges to to that with crypto transactions (that could provide an incentive for people to strictly transact on their platform - but yes I know this brings more centralisation).

Bob24 wrote: »
    but yes I know this brings more centralisation).
    CEXs will be back in flavour after some defi scam.
    This is the way.

Bookkeeping for lots of business activities is an utter pain. Lots of enterprises have to employ people full-time to do nothing else.

But suck it up. If you don't want to keep the books, you don't have to make the trades. If you do want to make the trades then keep the books because, tax liabilities aside, you'll then have some clue as to how much money you are making or losing, which is presumably a thing that interests you.

Bookkeeping for lots of business activities is an utter pain. Lots of enterprises have to employ people full-time to do nothing else.

But suck it up. If you don't want to keep the books, you don't have to make the trades. If you do want to make the trades then keep the books because, tax liabilities aside, you'll then have some clue as to how much money you are making or losing, which is presumably a thing that interests you.

I'll have an overall value of profit/loss at the end of each year which is no issue, but keeping track of each individual trade is more time consuming than the transaction itself

I'll have an overall value of profit/loss at the end of each year which is no issue, but keeping track of each individual trade is more time consuming than the transaction itself
    It's often true of bookkeeping that accounting for a transaction takes more time than executing the transaction. That's not saying much in this case, since a trade in cryptocurrency can be executed almost instantly.

But, in any event, this isn't the revenue's problem. If you're engaged in a taxable activity then the cost of tax compliance, whether in time or money, is something you need to factor into your decision about whether it's worth your while to engage in the activity.

As far as I can see it's not that big a deal. Unless your chosen trading platform is utterly crapulous it will generate for you a record of all your transactions which includes, for each transaction, the crypto disposed of, the number of units disposed of, the crypto acquired, the number of units acquired and the date. The only additional datum you need for each transaction is the market value, in euros, on the date of the transaction, of a unit of the crypto acquired. If your trading platform doesn't supply that information you can add it yourself. This is probably most conveniently done at the time you enter into each transaction, but if you prefer you can wait until tax return time and add all the market values in at that point. Given all the data, calculating the gains and losses is not difficult and, if you set up a spreadsheet to do it in your first year, doing it in subsequent years should be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Apologies if this has been covered before but as some exchanges allow you to transfer your Fiat (Once you've converted your crypto to it) could you transfer this Fiat to your own mortgage account or any loans you have a payment schedule set up for.
    Would there be a trail for this? I'm thinking I could pull out cash to use for my daily expenses (Shopping, petrol, entertainment etc etc) and transfer mortgage payments from the exchange to the accounts associated with the mortgage or loan

seannash wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered before but as some exchanges allow you to transfer your Fiat (Once you've converted your crypto to it) could you transfer this Fiat to your own mortgage account or any loans you have a payment schedule set up for.
    Would there be a trail for this? I'm thinking I could pull out cash to use for my daily expenses (Shopping, petrol, entertainment etc etc) and transfer mortgage payments from the exchange to the accounts associated with the mortgage or loan

Some exchanges are restricting withdrawals to accounts from which you have deposited money before, which would block what you want to do as you can’t make a deposit from your mortgage account. Another blocker could be whether your back provides an IBAN for your mortgage account which can receive funds from external accounts not under your name (I am not sure what banks do related to this).

So the answer is: it might be possible but there are quite a few reasons why the exchange or the bank could prevent it.

But in any case I don’t get why you would do this with regards to this thread. Whether you leave cash on the exchange, withdraw it to a current account, or withdraw it to a mortgage account doesn’t make any difference in terms of tax liability (CGT is due when you sell assets, not when you withdraw cash).

• Advertisement

What Bob24 said. Presuambly all crypto trading platforms allow you to realise your investment and turn it into the spendable currency of your choice; that's a pretty basic requirement for any investment. Once you do that you're free to spend the money however you wish, whether that be servicing your mortgage or settling your wine merchant's bill for 57 cases of vintage champagne; it's your money. Your choice about how you spend your investment gains doesn't affect your tax liablity at all, any more than your choice about how to spend your salary does.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

Anyone know if we can put investments in coins no longer tradable on exchanges down as a tax loss?

Basically investing in a sh!t coin that once had value and no longer does, and now can’t be sold either?

langer91 wrote: »
    Anyone know if we can put investments in coins no longer tradable on exchanges down as a tax loss?

Basically investing in a sh!t coin that once had value and no longer does, and now can’t be sold either?

I think you can make a “claim for negligible value” to revenue. This basically means an asset you paid money for has became literally worthless and thus you have suffered irreversible capital loss. But basically it is up to Revenue whether to accept you claim or not (i.e. they could argue that the coins are still with you and could become popular and valuable again in the future in order to deny your claim).

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-19/19-01-09.pdf

What Bob said. It's not enough that the asset you invested in is worthless; the Revenue need to be satisfied not only that is worthless now but that there is no reasonable prospect that it will ever have any worth again.

So in the case of company shares, for example, the fact that trading in the share has been suspended or its listing has been cancelled is not enough to enable you to claim a capital loss; you need, e.g., for the company to be wound up with no distribution to shareholders, or for the company to be struck off. So I think you are looking for an analogous fate for a cryptocurrency. I have no idea what that might be, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

OK, say:
    - I buy 2 bitcoin in March for $3,000 each
    - I buy 5 bitcoin in April for $6,000 each
    - I buy 2 bitcoin August for $10,000 each.

I'm the proud owner of 9 bitcoins.

In September I sell the 6BTC for Euros at $10,500 each. Where do I work out my CGT? Do I calculate the profit on the most recently bought assets (eg 2@%10,000 and 4@€6,000?) or what? :) Is this FIFO/LIFO?

Stupid tax! :)

AngryLoner wrote: »
    OK, say:

In September I sell the 6BTC for Euros at $10,500 each. Where do I work out my CGT? Do I calculate the profit on the most recently bought assets (eg 2@%10,000 and 4@€6,000?) or what? :) Is this FIFO/LIFO?

I'll DM you.

AngryLoner wrote: »
    OK, say:

It is FIFO, and your base currency to calculate capital gains should always be the euro value on the days you purchased and sold the asset.

Can any recommend a free or cheap tax calculator?

All my trades etc are on Bitstamp, and koinly.io imported my trade history from there, and also shows me how much CGT is due for each year, but it costs $99 per year to be able to download a tax report.

If anyone in this thread is in total confusion on how to handle trades between different crypto currencies etc, it seems to be good to at least show your gains are above or below the €1,270 threshold. (and if you trust a 3rd party website to import your history from an exchange)

radiospan wrote: »
    Can any recommend a free or cheap tax calculator?

All my trades etc are on Bitstamp, and koinly.io imported my trade history from there, and also shows me how much CGT is due for each year, but it costs $99 per year to be able to download a tax report.
    Is your tax bill more than $99?

• Advertisement

Is your tax bill more than $99?

Yes, not by much.

I still want to make an unprompted disclosure, and even though the CGT due isn't much, the amount of wallets, exchanges etc is complex.

Advertisement