Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists and lorries on rural roads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

gctest50 wrote: »
    They were

caHMrL7.jpg

I stand corrected, assumed the slow-mo was the end of the video. That's better for the cyclist then, some people are giving out he's in the middle of the road but he's simply beside his mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

What a dope. Playing chicken with traffic, then he runs into a moron driving a lorry. Fair to say he lost and hopefully he has learned his lesson now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Where is the rest of the video of their ride though ?

say 20 minutes before the clip posted in the Indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Did you not read my earlier post?

It would be dangerous if he went straight into a ****ing obstacle.

Or he could, y'know, lower his vehicle speed so that he can safely react to hazards.

Does that ring a dusty bell somewhere? It's sort of the 101 of being a safe competent driver.

kenmc wrote: »

And? Cyclists are *always* allowed cycle two abreast, and 3 if overtaking another.

Maybe it's time to change that - for back roads anyway

It's not like that in other places :

(2) A person operating a cycle.......

(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96318_05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not like that in other places :

Two cyclists abreast still take up less road space than one car. What's your reason for wanting overtaking banned?

This is another good thing that could be adapted n adopted :

Bicycle safety helmets

184 (1) A person commits an offence if that person operates or rides as a passenger on a cycle on a highway and is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that

(a) is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or

(b) meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).

(2) A parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years commits an offence if the parent or guardian authorizes or knowingly permits the person to operate or ride as a passenger on a cycle on a highway if that person is not properly wearing a bicycle safety helmet that

(a) is designated as an approved bicycle safety helmet under subsection (4) (a), or

(b) meets the standards and specifications prescribed under subsection (4) (b).

(3) A person who is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) or (2) is liable to a fine of not more than $100.

(4) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) designating a helmet as an approved bicycle safety helmet for the purposes of this section;

(b) prescribing standards and specifications for bicycle safety helmets.

(5) Regulations made under subsection (4) (b) may adopt by reference, in whole or in part, standards or specifications published by a national or international standards association, as amended from time to time.

(6) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:

(a) providing for and requiring the identification and marking of bicycle safety helmets;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

markpb wrote: »
    Two cyclists abreast still take up less road space than one car. What's your reason for wanting overtaking banned?

It's not about their width compared to a car's width you plank, that's not comparable. If you don't understand the very basics of safety and traffic to the point where you would think those things are identical then maybe you shouldn't be driving.

As was previously stated (by me) every user of the road is supposed to keep to their side as much as possible - that's by law. This means riding on the left here as much as possible.

Why don't you all who disagree just read my posts and read them well? I'm not writing them for a laugh, I actually put time and effort into them and have the knowledge to back them up. Anything you say critical of what I'm saying you will be WRONG period and I'm sorry if that comes off as arrogant, at this point it's just the way it is. Just listen to what I say and quit the bs.

In most backroads it'd likely be less dangerous than here. This is the worst possible type of road to ride two abreast in - it's the type of road where it's narrow but cars still drive at speed on it. These roads demand a lot of vigilance and I tend to feel less comfortable on them, I'm sure they're probably the cause of a large amount of road fatalities today. Side-by-side on roads like this is an accident waiting to happen.

No one was hurt or inconvenienced.

It's just another shocking video for the: 'Oh, a big metal thing on the road came close to me' thread.

Happens 10 times a day to car drivers but we don't film it and start a thread on Board.ie about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

As was previously stated (by me) every user of the road is supposed to keep to their side as much as possible - that's by law. This means riding on the left here as much as possible.

I'd like to see that Law. Have you a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Anything you say critical of what I'm saying you will be WRONG period and I'm sorry if that comes off as arrogant, at this point it's just the way it is. Just listen to what I say and quit the bs.

You're hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Where is the rest of the video of their ride though ?

say 20 minutes before the clip posted in the Indo

What would the previous 20 minutes tell you, unless they had passed the same lorry before. Maybe on some kind of loop circuit?

It shouldn't be too hard to analyse that clip, and determine who was in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have read all the posts and then looked at the video, the lorry driver was in the wrong crossing the line. The cyclist what need for to be out on the white line, when clearly the guy in front was cycling into the left and all could have cycled in single file.
    Most days I drive a lot around the country and yesterday day was in 4 counties and every day see a near miss on the road. But not running down cyclists they are a law onto themselves and have a death wish the way they use the roads. There is two types of cyclists that I see on the road, the boy racer type and the older hoppy type, the boy racer will chance any thing and older dudes are for the middle of the road job and don’t care about anybody else as they have time on their side and love to swerve in and out.
    Last week was behind a tractor and trailer climbing a bit of a hill and when he got to the top and was changing up gear the two cyclists that were behind serve out to over take and were both lucky the on coming car didn’t make mincemeat of them and they couldn’t see what was coming but still tried to over take where a car wouldn’t have attempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

happydan wrote: »
    cyclist said he was out in the middle of the road as he had a beginner cyclist beside him.
    he's NOT entitled to cycle two abreast on a narrow road with a solid white line.
    hopefully he learnt his lesson.
    not great diving by truck either in fairness

Cyclists can cycle anyway they want as long as they’re inside the white line.

But yeah, the massive truck liberally veering all over the place isn’t the problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The most disturbing aspect of in this thread is the frequent use of the word 'lorry' instead of 'truck'.

Very olde English! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And this is exactly why that hideous term 'snowflake' became a thing. I drive every day. Almost every day I avoid a situation that could become an accident. I don't try to label other road users as attempted murderers - why? Because I'm not a hysterical fool.

If you’re close to being in an accident almost every day then the common denominator is you.

A good driver doesn’t put oneself in the position of having to avoid accidents regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The most disturbing aspect of in this thread is the frequent use of the word 'lorry' instead of 'truck'.

Truck is a US term Lorry a UK term.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7235961/M25-shut-eight-hours-crash-lorry-two-cars.html

I dunno why this old video was reposted.

You have a bunch of reasons why the truck might have moved out, the same apply to a cyclist. Also there are valid reasons why a cyclist moves center lane. It's safer in some situations where staying left can be more dangerous.

As a driver you shouldn't expect a cyclist to stay left. They might move out for many valid reasons.

This cyclist was very far right. He is allowed to do that, but it's an odd road positioning on a road like this. Regardless of having a novice cyclist inside of you.

That said if you meet cyclists in a group cycling in twos. drivers should treat them like a tractor and trailer and not get so stressed about it.

However this video is really about did the driver of the lorry simply veer over due to inattention or was it deliberate. No way of knowing. But there are lots of online where drivers do it deliberately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beauf wrote: »
    Truck is a US term Lorry a UK term....
    Lorry is a term associated with old 'diesel in the veins' type British truckers who cut their teeth on Fodens, Seddon Atkinsons and ERF's.

Everywhere else in the world they are referred to as trucks - hence my surprise at the use in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Lorry is a term associated with old 'diesel in the veins' type British truckers who cut their teeth on Fodens, Seddon Atkinsons and ERF's.

Everywhere else in the world they are referred to as trucks - hence my surprise at the use in this thread.

I hope you'll be alright.

I linked to it used in the daily mail. Who wouldn't know one end of lorry from another. It shows it's common used, understood term in England.

On forums people tend to copy other posts and language mannerisms.

Here's an Irish website doing the same from English content...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-lorries-4469494-Feb2019/%3famp=1

Why don't we copy trunk and hood though.

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you’re close to being in an accident almost every day then the common denominator is you.

A good driver doesn’t put oneself in the position of having to avoid accidents regularly.

But I'm not close to being in an accident you see. Vehicles travel in close proximity to each other all the time without incident. That's the difference between you crying about a 'near miss' and posting a thread about it on boards and me just saying 'he was a bit far over the line' and then just getting on with my day.

Cyclist was an arrogant moron on a suicide mission in that clip.

Reasoned contribution. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Anything you say critical of what I'm saying you will be WRONG period and I'm sorry if that comes off as arrogant, at this point it's just the way it is. Just listen to what I say and quit the bs.

You come accross as an arrogant know it all but I assume that's your point. People that have absoloute confidence in what they say and cannot discourse are either pathologic liars or misguided fools. Take your pick but you completely destroy any weight your opinions may have with that attitude.

• Advertisement

Have read all the posts and then looked at the video, the lorry driver was in the wrong crossing the line. The cyclist what need for to be out on the white line, when clearly the guy in front was cycling into the left and all could have cycled in single file.
    Most days I drive a lot around the country and yesterday day was in 4 counties and every day see a near miss on the road. But not running down cyclists they are a law onto themselves and have a death wish the way they use the roads. There is two types of cyclists that I see on the road, the boy racer type and the older hoppy type, the boy racer will chance any thing and older dudes are for the middle of the road job and don’t care about anybody else as they have time on their side and love to swerve in and out.
    Last week was behind a tractor and trailer climbing a bit of a hill and when he got to the top and was changing up gear the two cyclists that were behind serve out to over take and were both lucky the on coming car didn’t make mincemeat of them and they couldn’t see what was coming but still tried to over take where a car wouldn’t have attempted.

What you saw two cyclists doing last week is completely irrelevant in this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

......the lorry driver was in the wrong crossing the line.......... cyclists they are a law onto themselves and have a death wish .......
    So you admit the truck driver was it the wrong and through some rhetoric conclude ALL cyclists have a death wish and as such they should ALL be treated as substandard beings kind of justifying their harrassment, injury and death on the roads. It is shocking the group thought cyclists have to live with.
    In fairness you probably do not think you are doing this but please do think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I used to be a driving instructor & was/am a cyclist . Cycling (for me) is a waste of time on narrow and not so narrow busy roads such as dual carrageways and especially on busy main roads. You know the one's where the width of the lane would almost totally be taken up by a truck....yet everyone bombs along around 60mph. Even every so slightly wider lane roads as well. Because , and let's just take cars .... I took count of this on an hour's cycle one day...every 2 out of 3 cars overtook/passed me whilst doing the wrong thing. Either they passed me too fast with oncoming traffic..ie weaved in and out whilst too fast or they passed me too close..or they passed me too wide... generally not really gauging my speed...generally not wanting to slow down.
    It really would put you in fear. Fear for yourself but also fear for oncoming traffic.
    This fear coupled with the headache inducing noise and fumes makes me plan cycles towards very quite country roads and lanes and Greenway, which I enjoy greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Something gives me the impression that the type of poster on here who says that a cyclist doing no wrong on the correct side of the road has a "death wish" is the same type of individual who probably things its grand to interfere with women because they're wearing a short skirt...

Queue some more "snowflake" and "triggered" whataboutery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

beauf wrote: »
    Why don't we copy trunk and hood though.

Interesting question.

There is a whole culture attached to truckers and trucking in the US so that makes the word truck attractive to adopt.

You don't have the same applying to trunk or hood ie. no trunkers or hooders.

It would be a pity if lorry as a word fell from use altogether as there is a degree of heritage behind it. One that did die out and you never hear today is pantechnicon.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    Something gives me the impression that the type of poster on here who says that a cyclist doing no wrong on the correct side of the road has a "death wish" is the same type of individual who probably things its grand to interfere with women because they're wearing a short skirt...

That is one very strange post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

And you called me a spa !;) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

100% convinced that trucker aimed to scare the cyclist , he should be arrested for it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

any chance you'd post some pics of your Etchings

And you called me a spa !;) ;)

Was I wrong?

485173.JPG

How is this still being argued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Was I wrong?

485173.JPG

How is this still being argued?

Just looking at that photo has my heart racing, that truck driver, ffs...

Im in the ukraine at the mo for a short trip and rural roads are terrifying, huge trucks drive down the middle of small back roads like mad men, people walk out in the lanes, overtaking occurs on blind bends as if it were some sort of death race.

A bit like donegal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A bike is not a steady point to sit a camera on. Its bound to wobble. Maybe they dont have a camera with motion correction or some sort of gyroscope on the lens.

The guy in front wasn't wobbling all over the road, was he ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

What is it about going from a to b turns some people into such psychos? There's someone in front of you going slower because they're on a bike/tractor/older driver/whatever. Relax. You'll get to wherever super important place you're heading to. You may get there a few seconds, possibly even a minute, slower. Is it really that big a deal?

jjpep wrote: »
    What is it about going from a to b turns some people into such psychos?

1. Something about "road" tax
    2. Something about two-abreast despite the fact it is safer and quicker to overtake cyclists two-abreast than it is cyclists in single file
    3. Something about lycra or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Truck driver knew what he was going, '' get the hell off the white line you stupid ccu nt'' That's how I see it, it was a deliberate action by truck driver, not a lack of concentration. No need for the cyclist to be cycling on the white line, truck needed the room and taught cyclist a lesson. Maybe he'll stop cycling on the white line now.

• Advertisement

Truck driver knew what he was going, '' get the hell off the white line you stupid ccu nt'' That's how I see it, it was a deliberate action by truck driver, not a lack of concentration. No need for the cyclist to be cycling on the white line, truck needed the room and taught cyclist a lesson. Maybe he'll stop cycling on the white line now.

4. Something about punishing people being on the correct side of the road by driving at them.

Just looking again at that still, there is a good surface inside the yellow.
    When I'm cycling I always use those areas to keep as far from traffic as possible.
    When I'm driving I always take extra care near cyclists and walkers.

Maybe there should be a cycling module in the driving test?

4. Something about punishing people being on the correct side of the road by driving at them.

Video shows him actually cycling on the white line, it would have been a possible collision had cycling stayed there and truck needed to pass him in that position, as the truck too needs to drive on the white line on such a narrow road. Both can't hug the white line, the trucks needs too, the guy on the bicycle had no purpose being there.

elperello wrote: »
    Just looking again at that still, there is a good surface inside the yellow.

Why would you take a bicycle into the section of road where all the chippings, broken glass, illegal dumping and general detritus collects? Why can't lorry drivers keep to their side of the road?

Why would you take a bicycle into the section of road where all the chippings, broken glass, illegal dumping and general detritus collects? Why can't lorry drivers keep to their side of the road?

Well obviously I wouldn't.
    If the area inside the yellow is clean I will. Self preservation I guess.

Everyone should keep to their side of the road.

Video shows him actually cycling on the white line, it would have been a possible collision had cycling stayed there and truck needed to pass him in that position, as the truck too needs to drive on the white line on such a narrow road. Both can't hug the white line, the trucks needs too, the guy on the bicycle had no purpose being there.

The video shows him cycling in the middle of the lane...

485177.JPG

The video also shows the lorry, on the correct side of the road, straying onto the wrong side of the road... and the cyclist is apparently at fault.

The whole "cyclists should have licences" thing doesn't hold much water when licence holders are defending this maneuver.

Capture90p.jpg

This is what truck saw coming towards him. A guy on the white line on a bicycle.

Capture90p.jpg

This is what truck saw coming towards him. A guy on the white line on a bicycle.

How is the cyclist on the white line when the truck has crossed the white line and is straddling both lanes?

How is the cyclist on the white line when the truck has crossed the white line and is straddling both lanes?

He was, and then he moved, geddit???

• Advertisement

Capture90p.jpg

You're correct, it totally justifies the truckers actions, you're awesome

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement