Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists and lorries on rural roads...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

The truck driver was speeding and veered at the cyclist. Criminal negligence or attempted murder take your pick
    The cyclist broke no rules, not ideal to be out so far though but that is NO EXCUSE for blaming him, if there was an incident the responsibility lies with the truck driver 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Nobody is blaming the cyclist, work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can see that there is something on the Lorry side of the road that he is being cautious to avoid, as is correct course of action. The footage looks like it comes from April 2017 so if no action was taken yet I doubt any will be,

There is nothing on the lorrys lane that needed to be avoided. Even if there was it didn't just spring out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yes he is. You're very wrong. Also cycling in the middle of the lane on rural roads is to prevent stupid overtakes.

I'm overtaken and left with space generally, but the amount of drivers who put oncoming drivers at risk is nuts.

Are you the traffic cops now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

First, Mr lorry driver is a raving psychopath. Anyone who makes a conscious decision to ride 40 tonnes of metal that close and at that speed to any other road user, let alone an unprotected one, needs to have their licence posted to the moon.

When I saw the article I didn't realise at first that the cyclist had another cyclist inside, but lets forget that for a moment and focus on cyclist road position in general-

There seems to be a wide spread belief among motorists that cyclists should be over at the edge because that's the "safest place". Sorry to say, but this premise is rooted in complete (but understandable if you don't cycle) ignorance of realities of cycling in Ireland.

For anyone that's genuinely interested in gaining a better understanding about cycling - here follows a genuine 1st person explanation of why cyclists often ride further out in a lane like this:

Once upon a time, I would have ridden narrow roads like this, on the yellow verge line, even with hedges right beside the line.

Being a good little cyclist. Out of the way of traffic. I should be good and safe there right?

Nope.

Many times I could easily meet Mr Psycho lorry driver or one of his cousins coming from behind me in the same direction, who with traffic passing from the other way would still insist on thundering through the gap between me and the oncoming traffic.

I am now left with nowhere to go to on my left (the very edge of the road), and 40 tonnes of lorry thundering past my right shoulder. As it passes I can feel the suck of air pulling me towards the lorries wheels and I spend a few seconds genuinely visualising my wife and kids crying at my funeral in a couple of days time.

So now, after enduring and surviving that terrifying experience a couple of times, I decide now that if I'm on a road like that, traffic needs to pass me like a car - ie. the opposite lane needs to be fully clear and traffic needs to cross over into it to pass me. If its not clear, the cars need to wait - just like they would for a tractor or a slow car.

And you know what? It works - it may sound counter intuitive but it's a lot safer. What's more - I know in advance the good drivers from the bad ones. The good ones, who would have waited to make a good safe overtake are just as happy to wait as they would have done before. If I get an angry honk behind me, I know it's one of the bad drivers that would have probably have squeezed through and put me in that life threatening situation.

Occasionally one of those bad drivers passes and skims past me to "teach me a lesson", but even then, at least I have space on my left to get away from them if the pass is uncomfortably close/fast.

Of course, In discussing relative safety of road position, it must be said that meeting a psychopath like that lorry driver, and all bets are off - you take whatever evasive action is necessary to preserve your life.

We all put our lives in the hands of other drivers not to kill us every day, although car drivers generally have the luxury of not being driven at in this fashion.

Our only means of beating psychopaths like this on our roads is, as a society to call them out for being psychopaths and point the blame squarely at them for creating hugely dangerous situations that don't have to be on our roads If, instead of doing this , we instead continue to focus our attention to the near victims of these crazy people, then those psychopaths continue unchecked in their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Are you the traffic cops now ?

Is there a code or marker on the back of your full drivers licence which indicates that you are a spa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

donvito99 wrote: »
    Is there a code or marker on the back of your full drivers licence which indicates that you are a spa?

Yeah. It says the very same as yours 101

There is nothing on the lorrys lane that needed to be avoided. Even if there was it didn't just spring out.

Yes there was. A potential hazard at the roadside. Similar in fact to if a cyclist was there, 99.9% of Lorry drivers would pull out a little to give said cyclist a wide berth. This is what happened here. No one was hurt. No one even had to take evasive action. Calm down cyclists, you're ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes there was. A potential hazard at the roadside. Similar in fact to if a cyclist was there, 99.9% of Lorry drivers would pull out a little to give said cyclist a wide berth. This is what happened here. No one was hurt. No one even had to take evasive action. Calm down cyclists, you're ok.

I looked several times. There was nothing to be avoided. If you're so certain their was, show it.

• Advertisement

work wrote: »
    The truck driver was speeding and veered at the cyclist. Criminal negligence or attempted murder take your pick

And this is exactly why that hideous term 'snowflake' became a thing. I drive every day. Almost every day I avoid a situation that could become an accident. I don't try to label other road users as attempted murderers - why? Because I'm not a hysterical fool.

I looked several times. There was nothing to be avoided. If you're so certain their was, show it.

How? look at the ditch on the Lorry's driver side before he pulled about 2 feet away from it, (because that's about all it was). There is something there that he/she obviously felt needed to be avoided.

And this is exactly why that hideous term 'snowflake' became a thing. I drive every day. Almost every day I avoid a situation that could become an accident. I don't try to label other road users as attempted murderers - why? Because I'm not a hysterical fool.

You swerve towards oncoming traffic regularly?

How? look at the ditch on the Lorry's driver side before he pulled about 2 feet away from it, (because that's about all it was). There is something there that he/she obviously felt needed to be avoided.

There isnt anything there. Highlight it if you are so certain there is something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

somefeen wrote: »
    This is 100% on the truck driver. Whether the cyclist should have been there or not is irrelevant, he was there.

Truck drivers have licences and certification, cyclist don't. A truck driver getting mad at a cyclist for being in the middle of the road is like an adult shouting at a toddler for bumping into them.

Maybe there should be a drivers licence and an associated test for cyclists... and for runners as well --- especially those who wear dark clothes and run on the wrong side with the hope to get healthier ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Ignoring the lorry, who was looking like very very wrong, what was with the wobbling whenever a car went in the opposite direction?

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    Nobody is blaming the cyclist, work.
    That is certainly not true...ignorant quote from timeladsplease.........
    Disagree. Any experienced car driver knows to give a lorry extra space, it's just good driving sense. that means moving as far into your verge as possible. If this road user was too dumb to know that I'm afraid there's no point blaming the lorry and they can count themselves lucky. I expect he/she will not make the same judgement error again.

I do agree with you though about most posters

You nearly get run off the road by a negligent driver, and and the lads on boards.ie start labelling you a snowflake :D:D

How anyone can spin this as anything but crap driving by someone earning his living as a driver is nothing short of phenomenal

You swerve towards oncoming traffic regularly?

No. Do you?

There isnt anything there. Highlight it if you are so certain there is something.

How do I highlight a video? Use your f##cking eyes mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just watched it again and again. About 10 times in all and in fairness I can't see any obstruction on the road that would cause the swerve by the truck.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    You nearly get run off the road by a negligent driver, l

Run off the road?? He barely wobbled his handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why is Captain Wobbly cycling 2 abrest on a narrow road ?

elperello wrote: »
    I just watched it again and again. About 10 times in all and in fairness I can't see any obstruction on the road that would cause the swerve by the truck.

In the ditch, like beside the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

Truck is clearly in the wrong but the cyclist is an idiot for not keeping to the left side of the road

Funny you are replying like a hysterical fool. You can only imagine what that was like if you were the cyclist.........he literally thought he was dead.....I think hysterics are the least that can be expected. Until we change our very stupid attitude that driving like that isn't criminal the roads will remain unsafe and many will not cycle. He was going too fast, was out of control and nearly killed a cyclist....I'm getting hysterical that anyone thinks at any level this was OK.

When did we change from driving on the left to driving in the middle of the road into oncoming traffic?

Funny you are replying like a hysterical fool. You can only imagine what that was like if you were the cyclist.........he literally thought he was dead.....I think hysterics are the least that can be expected. Until we change our very stupid attitude that driving like that isn't criminal the roads will remain unsafe and many will not cycle. He was going too fast, was out of control and nearly killed a cyclist....I'm getting hysterical that anyone thinks at any level this was OK.

Take a deep breath. Then please, for the sake of other road users, don't venture out on the roads ever again. We all need to stay calm out there. It's a very dangerous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Is there any point in dragging up a 2 year old news article?
    Or is just to provoke another motorist vs cyclist bashing?

This has been discussed before, there will always be those who find fault with the cyclists even with the proof shown in this video.
    They were wrong two years ago and they are wrong today but then again those fcuking cyclist don't even pay road tax so they deserve everything that happens to them.

Diemos wrote: »
    Or is just to provoke another motorist vs cyclist bashing?

This has been discussed before, there will always be those who find fault with the cyclists even with the proof shown in this video.
    They were wrong two years ago and they are wrong today but then again those fcuking cyclist don't even pay road tax so they deserve everything that happens to them.

I expect the Op had some agenda for raising it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tried again but between the gateway and the point where the truck pulls out all I can make out are some colour variations in the ditch.
    It's hard to identify what they are but the road in front of the truck's path appears clear.

As I said earlier I am not blaming anyone, just trying to understand what happened.

• Advertisement

Take a deep breath. Then please, for the sake of other road users, don't venture out on the roads ever again. We all need to stay calm out there. It's a very dangerous place.

You wouldn't be calm if you were in that situation. Please do not be so blasee with other people's lives. You are absoloutely right though we all need to calm down it's dangerous.

elperello wrote: »
    just trying to understand what happened.

Cyclist were cycling 2 abreast on a narrow road, truck driver spotted this and gave them a punishment pass.

Pig ignorant and potentially deadly (though I'd say he only wanted to scare them and make a point, but that does not excuse or minimise the act).

Diemos wrote: »

Reckless driving (lorry AND cyclist) are independent of any timeline and deserve attention and a closer look. Given the massive feedback and discussion seem to tell that there is a lot more to it than what meets the eye.

No. Do you?

But that's what the truck driver did and you say you do the same thing.

How do I highlight a video? Use your f##cking eyes mate.

I did. Theres nothing. Pause, screen shot, draw a box around whatever it is you think you saw. Becuase you appear to be the only one that did.

You wouldn't be calm if you were in that situation. Please do not be so blasee with other people's lives. You are absoloutely right though we all need to calm down it's dangerous.

I appreciate your sincerity, but you have to be calm, regardless of the danger. When you are driving a car at 60kph and you meet a car going 60kph one slip of a steering wheel will result in a 120kph impact. You can't drive around in hysterical fear. Every day we are dodging death on these roads. And yet we still sleep at night.

ampleforth wrote: »
    Reckless driving (lorry AND cyclist) are independent of any timeline and deserve attention and a closer look. Given the massive feedback and discussion seem to tell that there is a lot more to it than what meets the eye.

Can you explain to me how the cyclist is to blame for this legally?
    What laws did they break?
    As a driver and occasional cyclist, I'm curious.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Ignoring the lorry, who was looking like very very wrong, what was with the wobbling whenever a car went in the opposite direction?

A bike is not a steady point to sit a camera on. Its bound to wobble. Maybe they dont have a camera with motion correction or some sort of gyroscope on the lens.

But that's what the truck driver did and you say you do the same thing.

No. You are just making thinks up now Dravokivich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They weren't actually cycling two abreast, but people will still give out about them cycling two abreast.

Camera cyclist was following and taking the lane. He's in the same useable space a car would be in.

Doesn't change the fact a truck suddenly just drove at him though. If there's a pothole in the road you don't drive towards oncoming traffic...

I did. Theres nothing. Pause, screen shot, draw a box around whatever it is you think you saw. Becuase you appear to be the only one that did.

I don't know how to do that.

Looks like just me and the lorry driver saw it. He/she definitely saw something though - as you can see from the footage. Good news is, Dravokivich, no one was killed, got hurt, or even had to take evasive action, so we can all rest secure in our beds tonight. I'm going for a few beers. Hope you can enjoy your evening.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    He's in the same useable space a car would be in.

Maybe, secretly, he longed for that thrill a driver of a car has every day... but yet, he was stunned by its responsibility and his inability to deal with the pressures that role is connected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's nothing on the road.

485146.PNG

So why did the driver not just slow down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Cyclist was an arrogant moron on a suicide mission in that clip.

Cyclist was an arrogant moron on a suicide mission in that clip.

The fact that a driver driving a 40 tonne vehicle invaded the other side of the road at high speed to drive inches past an unprotected road user doesn't even raise an eyebrow, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They weren't actually cycling two abreast, but people will still give out about them cycling two abreast.

They were

caHMrL7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Plasmoid wrote: »
    That seems like a strange belief. So if a collision had occurred, between this Lorry and the cyclist, or another car, or another lorry avoiding a pothole on it's side of the road, that's just how things are, no blame on anyone.

I hope i never meet you on the roads.

man, this has to be one of the dumbest replies to a post of mine I have seen for a very long time.

man, this has to be one of the dumbest replies to a post of mine I have seen for a very long time.

Yeah, I mean imagine expecting people in charge of multi tonne vehicles to be held accountable for their acts of dangerous driving on the road.... Mad stuff altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

gctest50 wrote: »

They were

caHMrL7.jpg
    And? Cyclists are *always* allowed cycle two abreast, and 3 if overtaking another. Sometimes, when it's safe to do so (for them) they single out to allow *other* traffic (cyclists being traffic themselves, of course) which may have built behind, to pass by. Like an observant farmer in a tractor, or perhaps a campervan or caravan may likewise do - when it's safe to do so.

There is no obligation on anyone to pull over to facilitate passing, certainly not when it is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Duckjob wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean imagine expecting people in charge of multi tonne vehicles to be held accountable for their acts of dangerous driving on the road.... Mad stuff altogether

Did you not read my earlier post?

It would be dangerous if he went straight into a ****ing obstacle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement