Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclists and lorries on rural roads...

Options
  • 12-07-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frightening-footage-shows-near-head-on-collision-between-cyclist-and-lorry-on-rural-road-35652315.html

Wondering if the picture here is that obvious to be the full fault of the lorry.

The lorry driver appears to have overstepped about 50cm or so over the line which is bad driving.

However, is the real problem not just the narrow roads, the missing lanes for the cyclists or even, and I am just assuming here, the cyclist's false sense of security that leads him to occupy the full lane despite his obvious absence of body armour and super powers?

Are quite unrealistic about the amount of space these narrow country roads actually have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

If the lane had contained a car instead of a cyclist, and the lorry did what he did, then there would have been a major (potentially fatal) crash. Would you also be wondering if the lorry was to blame in that scenario?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The lorry veered into the wrong lane, that puts him at fault whether it's a cyclist or an imperial star cruiser coming the other way. Basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Truck driver very cleared veered towards the cyclists.

I would hope the footage has been shared with Garda RPU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ampleforth wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/frightening-footage-shows-near-head-on-collision-between-cyclist-and-lorry-on-rural-road-35652315.html

Wondering if the picture here is that obvious to be the full fault of the lorry.

The lorry driver appears to have overstepped about 50cm or so over the line which is bad driving.

However, is the real problem not just narrow road, the missing lanes for the cyclists or even, and I am just assuming here, the cyclist false sense of security that leads him to occupy the full lane despite his obvious absence of body armour and super powers?

Are quite unrealistic about the amount of space these narrow country roads actually have?

Lol. Do you think a car is going to do much to stop one of those trucks if it hits it at speed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lorry crossed a solid white line, previous to crossing the line, it appeared to have ample space in the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

The lorry IS at fault here, but I do believe that the issue is being provoked by narrow roads and false sense of security. As a cyclist I would not dare to drive close to the middle of the lane just simply because I love being alive.

As a car you don't have a choice, you just die if you don't get away with a lost mirror... but as a cyclist you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The lorry veered into the wrong lane, that puts him at fault whether it's a cyclist or an imperial star cruiser coming the other way. Basic stuff.

I disagree. An Imperial Star Cruiser always gets the right of way.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

In short: Being right vs. being alive. ;)

I disagree. An Imperial Star Cruiser always gets the right of way.

Don't mess with the force!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why was the cyclist cycling in the middle of the road ?, on one or two occasions almost crossing the white line himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Scary.
    I can't figure out why the truck driver crossed the line.
    Inattention?

The lorry IS at fault here, but I do believe that the issue is being provoked by narrow roads and false sense of security. As a cyclist I would not dare to drive close to the middle of the lane just simply because I love being alive.

As a car you don't have a choice, you just die if you don't get away with a lost mirror... but as a cyclist you have.

False sense of security ?. You mean a camera ?

Shai wrote: »
    If the lane had contained a car instead of a cyclist, and the lorry did what he did, then there would have been a major (potentially fatal) crash.

Disagree. Any experienced car driver knows to give a lorry extra space, it's just good driving sense. that means moving as far into your verge as possible. If this road user was too dumb to know that I'm afraid there's no point blaming the lorry and they can count themselves lucky. I expect he/she will not make the same judgement error again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

elperello wrote: »
    Scary.
    I can't figure out why the truck driver crossed the line.
    Inattention?

It happens. This would be equally dangerous if not more dangerous if there was car driving opposite. I hope it was not intentional or because he was watching something on the phone.

I remember a family stopping on a hard shoulder of a motorway in another country. Truck driver was inattentive and veered into them from behind at full speed. They were all instantly dead and truck driver ran away from the location of the accident. He was found a few days later hanging of a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Why was the cyclist cycling in the middle of the road ?, on one or two occasions almost crossing the white line himself.

That's neither here nor there. He was entitled to be there and was doing nothing wrong. What's frightening is that the lorry driver clearly and deliberately pulled across the road to intimidate the cyclist for no reason other than to be a cock.
    Either that or he wasn't paying attention and wandered across but that from the looks of it, it isn't that benign.

Hopefully Gardai get involved and charge him with at the very least, driving without due care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 happydan

cyclist said he was out in the middle of the road as he had a beginner cyclist beside him.
    he's NOT entitled to cycle two abreast on a narrow road with a solid white line.
    hopefully he learnt his lesson.
    not great diving by truck either in fairness

happydan wrote: »
    cyclist said he was out in the middle of the road as he had a beginner cyclist beside him.
    he's NOT entitled to cycle two abreast on a narrow road with a solid white line.

Alsy,why would you bring a beginner cyclist into a road like that. I agree about the truck driver but the cameraman Carrie's some responsibility. Wonder how many he was holding up

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Of course they’re allowed to cycle two abreast. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. The HGV crossing the white line is the problem here

You need to go back and do your driving lessons again and read the rules of the road.

Where someone cannot pass safely on their own side of the road then they must give way to traffic on the other side. And cyclists are perfectly entitled to cycle two abreast on any road. Though most don't on a narrow road to be courteous to other traffic.

In this case - lorry driver was being a dick and you know it.

Deagol wrote: »
    What's frightening is that the lorry driver clearly and deliberately pulled across the road to intimidate the cyclist for no reason other than to be a cock.
    Either that or he wasn't paying attention and wandered across but that from the looks of it, it isn't that benign.

Hopefully Gardai get involved and charge him with at the very least, driving without due care.

You can see that there is something on the Lorry side of the road that he is being cautious to avoid, as is correct course of action. The footage looks like it comes from April 2017 so if no action was taken yet I doubt any will be,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

This video is over two years old, but, what section of the ROR says the cyclist can’t cycle two a breast?

Alsy,why would you bring a beginner cyclist into a road like that. I agree about the truck driver but the cameraman Carrie's some responsibility. Wonder how many he was holding up

Ah, let me guess. He should have been on a quiet country road??

Or he should have been on a busy wide road?

Tell us which you would suggest is suitable to take begineers out on?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You can see that there is something on the Lorry side of the road that he is being cautious to avoid, as is correct course of action. The footage looks like it comes from April 2017 so if no action was taken yet I doubt any will be,

slowing down and waiting for a safe opportunity to pass the obstacle on his side is the correct way to do it.

I wonder why this is printed now... and not two years ago.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    slowing down and waiting for a safe opportunity to pass the obstacle on his side is the correct way to do it.

Yeah, try that in a lorry, Mate. Nobody was harmed so maybe he/she knew what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I wonder why this is printed now... and not two years ago.

Look at the publication date......

Either your being deliberately obtuse or you are deluded. I'm looked at the video 8 times and there is clearly nothing on the side of that road that is causing the lorry driver to swerve. It was the first thing I thought to check to allow me to give the lorry driver the benefit of the doubt.

Call a spade a spade and admit the driver was being a complete dickwad.

Deagol wrote: »
    Either your being deliberately obtuse or you are deluded. I'm looked at the video 8 times and there is clearly nothing on the side of that road that is causing the lorry driver to swerve. It was the first thing I thought to check to allow me to give the lorry driver the benefit of the doubt.

Call a spade a spade and admit the driver was being a complete dickwad.

There is. Look closer. Can't make out exactly what it is but it is there, and was obviously enough to cause the driver concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

he's NOT entitled to cycle two abreast on a narrow road with a solid white line
    Here's a source for your claim www.StuffIjustMadeUp.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes, yes they are. Cyclists are traffic just like anyone else on the road.

The lesson here is that some road users seem to think they have more of a right to the road than the most vulnerable on our roads. These people are dangerous idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement