Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Leinster club final in Portlaoise. St. Mullins were happy to toss for home venue but Ballyhale wouldn't agree.
    Seems bizarre if true I assumed it would have been the other way around, just done a quick check on Google maps.

To o'moore park portlaoise from ballyhale 1 hour 5 mins, from st Mullins 1hr 20 mins
    To Wexford park from ballyhale 1 hour, from st Mullins 44 mins
    To Walsh park Waterford( i know this would never happen) from ballyhale 27 mins, from st Mullins 44 mins

To nowlan park from ballyhale 23 mins, from st Mullins 41 mins
    To dr cullen park from ballyhale 40 mins, from st Mullins 50 mins

In conclusion 4 more appropriate venues than portlaoise and if common sense prevailed the game would be in Waterford and the ballygunner borrisoleigh game would be in nowlan park instead of cork, also the gaa isn't too concerned about its carbon footprint...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

YMCA wrote: »
    Any changes to club’s management teams for 2020?

Only one I've heard so far is Pat Hoban is taking on GBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Seems bizarre if true I assumed it would have been the other way around, just done a quick check on Google maps.

It's true alright. Seemed the obvious arrangement for both clubs. St Mullins would rather play the game in Nowlan Park than Portlaoise if it came to it. There would be a much bigger neutral crowd at it also although I suppose a "neutral" in this case would more than likely be supporting St Mullins.

It's true alright. Seemed the obvious arrangement for both clubs. St Mullins would rather play the game in Nowlan Park than Portlaoise if it came to it. There would be a much bigger neutral crowd at it also although I suppose a "neutral" in this case would more than likely be supporting St Mullins.
    i was at the oulart mount leinster rangers final in 2013 in nowlan park and it seemed that every hurling person in carlow was at it, there was 7,000 at it usually leinster finals get around 2 or 3 thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Anybody know the league fixtures for 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

i was at the oulart mount leinster rangers final in 2013 in nowlan park and it seemed that every hurling person in carlow was at it, there was 7,000 at it usually leinster finals get around 2 or 3 thousand

I heard Ballyhale didn’t want the game in Nowlan Park or Dr Cullen Park because they know a massive Carlow crowd would be in either venue. Worked for MLR in 2013 and worked the other day for Mullins.

Sad if true

conor05 wrote: »
    I heard Ballyhale didn’t want the game in Nowlan Park or Dr Cullen Park because they know a massive Carlow crowd would be in either venue. Worked for MLR in 2013 and worked the other day for Mullins.

Sad if true
    Sad indeed if true i'd imagine ballyhale should be fancying themselves against any opposition in any venue I'd reckon they would beat any of the joe mcdonagh counties, only club left who i can see competing with them is ballygunner

On the game the other day just going on the crowd noise after scores, support seemed 50/50, carlow town would be short journey for alot of laois hurling people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

conor05 wrote: »

Sad if true

Why is that sad? They want to win, would be patronising to just be good sports about it and effectively hand over home advantage to an opponent. Shows they're not taking it for granted or acting like it's st Mullins big day out and giving them a pat on the head that could backfire easily enough. As you say, this home advantage has been big for Carlow teams in the past, why give them that edge?

Why is that sad? They want to win, would be patronising to just be good sports about it and effectively hand over home advantage to an opponent. Shows they're not taking it for granted or acting like it's st Mullins big day out and giving them a pat on the head that could backfire easily enough. As you say, this home advantage has been big for Carlow teams in the past, why give them that edge?
    Ballyhale is actually nearer to dr Cullen park than st Mullins is and st Mullins is actually nearer to nowlan park than its is dr Cullen park, toss for home advantage would just be common sense, any Munster final involving clare and Limerick clubs in the last 7 or 8 years they tossed for home advantage. I would have taught ballyhale's mentality is they would be confident in any venue. Also Wexford park would have made more sense than portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ballyhale is actually nearer to dr Cullen park than st Mullins is and st Mullins is actually nearer to nowlan park than its is dr Cullen park, toss for home advantage would just be common sense, any Munster final involving clare and Limerick clubs in the last 7 or 8 years they tossed for home advantage. I would have taught ballyhale's mentality is they would be confident in any venue. Also Wexford park would have made more sense than portlaoise.

It would make sense if the objective is to get home a bit quicker. If the objective is to minimise the army of Carlow supporters showing up it wouldn't make much sense at all. They've presumably seen the difference it makes and don't want to enable it for the same of saving themselves a half hour onto their journey. Confidence in their ability had nothing to do with it. I'm with ger loughnane on this: i wouldn't even tell them the throw in time if I had the choice.

• Advertisement

How would playing in Nowlan Pk. give advantage to St. Mullins?

It's a home from home for Ballyhsle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why are people making such an issue about this? Realt is right: it's a Leinster final. Ballyhales attitude should be **** Mullins, why give them any advantage/help.

Leinster club final in Portlaoise. St. Mullins were happy to toss for home venue but Ballyhale wouldn't agree.

Just to put this one to bed, Ballyhale were not consulted about the venue, tossing for it was not put to them and they would have happily played in Nowlan or Dr Cullen Park. I have that from a member of the club executive.

A few conspiracy theorists gone wild.

Just to put this one to bed, Ballyhale were not consulted about the venue, tossing for it was not put to them and they would have happily played in Nowlan or Dr Cullen Park. I have that from a member of the club executive.

Not consulted by who? Ballyhale were approached by St. Mullins directly after last Sunday's second semi final. I have that from a member of the St. Mullins club executive. So one of us has been misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭larrya

I don’t see the problem if they were or were not asked to toss.they are under no obligation to toss for venue.

Not consulted by who? Ballyhale were approached by St. Mullins directly after last Sunday's second semi final. I have that from a member of the St. Mullins club executive. So one of us has been misled.

By anyone, I can tell that the person who dealt with St Martins request to move the semi final from Sunday to Saturday was never approached about a venue change from anyone from outside or inside the club. All these matters would normally go through this person and they are unaware of any approach from St Mullins. Perhaps St Mullins didn't contact the right person, I have no idea who they talked too.

Either way the venue is Portlaoise now so may the best team win.

Should that not be organised by the Leinster Council re: venue etc. and not a 'deal' between 2 clubs?

Either way the venue is Portlaoise now so may the best team win.

Correct on both points! We're in major bonus territory anyway. If we'd been offered a Leinster final spot in any venue at 5 points down with three minutes to go in the county semi final we'd have bitten your hand off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

Correct on both points! We're in major bonus territory anyway. If we'd been offered a Leinster final spot in any venue at 5 points down with three minutes to go in the county semi final we'd have bitten your hand off!

It's a great achievement for st mullins and no fluke.A passonate group who love their hurling.Ive often met jack and mouse at kilkenny club games so they will know what to expect. The winning score by james doyle was worth the admission fee.I hope they give a good account of themselves in the final.The move of doyle out around the middle really paid dividends but himself and mouse are exceptional players and I'm sure the shamrocks will try not give them the same space.I could see someone like darren Mullen picking up one of these.
    Richie reid will be a big lose he is in great form but they have a ridiculous spine to their team but clonkill racked up a good score which should give hope.Its the other end of the field where the shamrocks do the most damage you could keep 2 or 3 fowards quite but nearly always someone else steps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Shamrocks will win by whatever they want to win by, whether it's played in Portlaois, Nowlan Park or on the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Shamrocks will win by whatever they want to win by, whether it's played in Portlaois, Nowlan Park or on the moon.

The Moon would have been a good venue. No way the Carlow crowd could have created an atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

BoroMan32 wrote: »

Thankfully Henry and company won't have that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This whole venue debacle is typical of the messing about that goes on in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Powerhouse wrote: »
    The Moon would have been a good venue. No way the Carlow crowd could have created an atmosphere there.

That has to be the funniest post on Boards, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

This whole venue debacle is typical of the messing about that goes on in the GAA.

In the GAA or on Boards! The GAA fixed the Leinster club final for Portlaoise and the Munster Final for Cork, both neutral venues as in the past. The only fuss is on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fantastic result for Mullinavat! Into the Leinster Intermediate Football Final after a 6 point win over Rosenailis of Laois. Really great to see a Kilkenny football team making progress in Leinster. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Who do the winners of the Leinster club final play in the semi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Who do the winners of the Leinster club final play in the semi?

Slaughtneil of Derry will play the winners of Ballyhale or St Mullins in the All-Ireland senior club hurling semi-final

Blackhill from Monaghan won the Ulster junior club football championship so will play the Leinster champions, which I hope it will be Mullinavat. I am in the Kilkenny football fan club now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

A good few suprises last weekend in the club.Our own mullinavat beating rosenallis.Eir og beating portlaoise.Borris beating ballygunner.This time of the year especially anything could happen.Ballyhale are a serious outfit it is very hard to see them beaten.Its probable that 4 of them could start for kilkenny next year.Its a great opportunity for the cw men to pit themselves against the best.They will be the first to thank kilkenny for letting them play junior all those years ago.No doubt it has brought them on.Ballyhale wont take anything for granted and will have to mark james doyle and mouse kavanagh tightly.Shamrocks will try go for the jugular early and put it to bed so the longer mullens keep it tight the better and try bring it down the home straight.....the desicion to play it in portlaoise is a poor one.
    Tullaron will miss mossy but seem to be playing with freedom.
    Conahy should have james bergin back this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Surely if Kilkenny were getting a new jersey for 2020 it'd be released by now since its 4 weeks to Christmas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement