Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Still waiting on their DAC converter before considering a purchase from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

What type of video signals can the DAC put out?

I presume just comosite and S-Video?

Couldnt see them going to the trouble of going RGB Scart.

Doge wrote: »
    What type of video signals can the DAC put out?

I presume just comosite and S-Video?

Couldnt see them going to the trouble of going RGB Scart.
    We know very little about it so far, other than it was announced at the beginning of last year and that they keep saying "it's coming eventually".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

That's fair enough, and I do wonder if the development of the SG has had the side-effect of delaying the DAC.
    Having said that, I honestly think the image quality and reproduction on modern displays is next to faultless with the Analog devices, while also offering the ease-of-use and space saving that other options with the original hardware leave to be desired. Plus, eventually we're going to have to accept that legacy connections will becoming harder to source and maintain.
    My own gaming BVM has seen better days, and bar one or two exceptions with certain machines, I've become accustomed to running through an OSSC for my Megadrive sessions for a variety of logistical reasons, but even with decent RGB mods on both JAP and EU consoles, the image quality on the SG is far superior.
    Once I have it properly setup in the game room, it'll be the best of both worlds, but until they deliver on their DAC project, it's a more than acceptable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really delighted to see the unreleased Megadrive game Hardcore released with this. I remember seeing a tech demo of it years ago and thinking it looked pretty good.

Only had a few mins with this, or Ultracore as it's known now. Fast, smooth....very 90s.
    Would have to put some more time into it before yaying or naying, but like some of what I've seen (though not sure about the bouncing on the enemies heads) regarding animation (main character teetering on the brink of platforms is nice touch) and fluidity of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Token changing back to 18s only just incase anyone was planning to go with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Token changing back to 18s only just incase anyone was planning to go with kids

I think they're no longer opening at 12pm midweek and back to 4pm, which was when kids were allowed in. They're saying in the comments that too many kids are left to run around and I can understand. Parents let their kids run around too much these days. It just ruins it for everyone else.

It's unfortunate that the kids who behave themselves will miss out but at the end of the day it's a barcade. There's plenty of places to bring kids for arcade games.

I was in there the other week, happy to see a few new machines and pins. Food was good and service was back up to scratch. Looking forward to their expansion as it is a fairly small space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Have to have another jaunt into token at some point. But can anyone confirm that most of the machines are still set to having no audio/little audio?

The couple times previous has been like going to the cinema with no sound. Hopefully just bad timing when there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I think they're no longer opening at 12pm midweek and back to 4pm, which was when kids were allowed in. They're saying in the comments that too many kids are left to run around and I can understand. Parents let their kids run around too much these days. It just ruins it for everyone else.

It's unfortunate that the kids who behave themselves will miss out but at the end of the day it's a barcade. There's plenty of places to bring kids for arcade games.
    Definitely agree with you on all of that. They're probably right to change it back but then again I've no kids so means nothing to me. Just wanted to give the heads up incase anyone planned on going, they'd be disappointed especially if they showed up and got refused which I think happened before on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

beejee wrote: »
    Have to have another jaunt into token at some point. But can anyone confirm that most of the machines are still set to having no audio/little audio?

The couple times previous has been like going to the cinema with no sound. Hopefully just bad timing when there.

Last time I was there audio was working on everything.

Talking about a year ago though. Sticks and buttons were another thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was there two weeks ago with Cidonalad and Mrs Ciderman.
    Food was excellent but machines were not always working well, such as RType 2, and some of the controls had seen better days.
    Still.
    It was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The comments on their Facebook post are pretty amazing.

Some amount of keyboard warrior snowflakes out there.

Be going there Monday myself before I go to see Hans Zimmer. Ill take a note of any big problems with games I notice. I'll mostly just be playing pinball though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Player 4 jotstick on X-Men was fecked for me. Kinda playable just gets sticky. Player 2 recoil on Time Crisis is fecked also. Is it possible the recoil can be turned down on the guns? It seams very weak on Player 1.

Spent most of my time playing pinball. Road Show is fun :)

Player 4 jotstick on X-Men was fecked for me. Kinda playable just gets sticky. Player 2 recoil on Time Crisis is fecked also. Is it possible the recoil can be turned down on the guns? It seams very weak on Player 1.

Did ye try the Star Trek one?

My old machine, the music would drive you up the ****ing all thought!
    Never regretted selling it tbh

Running a giveaway for some mortal Kombat themed pins on my Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/lazersteak/p/Bve6h5Wlr1D/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1grgbu9cqmge9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Running a giveaway for some mortal Kombat themed pins on my Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/lazersteak/p/Bve6h5Wlr1D/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1grgbu9cqmge9

Can't beat a nice badge.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So who's seen the new streets of rage trailer?

Pretty meh I think....I'll be really disappointed if it turns out to be sh1te

Master of the Universe

I don't know if it's just my eyes, but in the newest trailer, the animation looks more like fluid sprites and less like adobe flash?

Really hoping that's the way it goes.

• Advertisement

Maybe this is a better thread for my fumblings?

Anyway, I started looking into an image fight last night. There was no sound and all the background was missing (and probably other stuff too).

DSC-1125.jpg

I also noticed that the eprom windows were uncovered (information can be erased through exposure to UV light), so that was an alarm bell. Probably left that way for literally decades. So the first thing I did earlier was get some masking tape over them.

Did the usual bumfluffery of cleaning and reseating. Nothing stood out on inspecting the board. Turned it on again, and its 100%! I cant keep getting this lucky with stuff, but hoping it lasts a while longer :P

DSC-1131.jpg

Very good game too. Im just slogging through testing and will get to properly playing them afterwards, but I had a few goes of this today and its a lot of fun (with my head twisted to the side, its a vertical game)

So who's seen the new streets of rage trailer?

Pretty meh I think....I'll be really disappointed if it turns out to be sh1te

I wouldn't be expecting much :/ Streets of rage pinnacled with the SOR v.5 by bomberman games (?), the homebrew effort.

That was fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭geotrig

good to see the multimeter out !

New Sega mini on the way, any details on if it's going to be a pile of **** or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

New Sega mini on the way, any details on if it's going to be a pile of **** or not?

The emulation was handled by M2, so my interest is far more peaked in it than it would be if it had been an AtGames pos.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

It would seem that they might actually do it some justice, as it has been taken in house by Sega and away from the awful AtGames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Just a shame that it's packaged with a three button controller, but I suppose there probably won't be any games on it that would utilise the six button controller, when the list of games is finalised.

Relikk wrote: »
    Just a shame that it's packaged with a three button controller, but I suppose there probably won't be any games on it that would utilise the six button controller, when the list of games is finalised.
    Japan is actually getting a six button controller, complete with Street Fighter II installed.

$90 for the two controller version, Sega can jog on. They're gonna bundle the same pack of games they've been flogging since the collections from the PS2 era so we can wonder why the words decap, attack and classic are appearing so close to each other once again.

• Advertisement

Japan is actually getting a six button controller, complete with Street Fighter II installed.

Hadn't seen that. I only keep seeing the Genesis version. A strange division in products, though. You'd think Street Fighter with a six button controller would be a shoo-in on all versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's much better versions of street fighter though.

Still the 3 button pad is not great and not very comfortable while the 6 button pad is a thing of beauty, it's basically almost a Saturn pad and one of the all time great controllers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

$90 for the two controller version, Sega can jog on. They're gonna bundle the same pack of games they've been flogging since the collections from the PS2 era so we can wonder why the words decap, attack and classic are appearing so close to each other once again.

Konami on board. Bloodlines is on there and hoping for rocket knight and hard corp as those Konami classics haven't been reissued yet.

Also emulation by M2 means this will be a better experience than the Nintendo systems.

Still a few duffers in the line up. Nobody needs to play altered beast. Hopefully there's some nice surprises announced.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Konami on board. Bloodlines is on there and hoping for rocket knight and hard corp as those Konami classics haven't been reissued yet.

Also emulation by M2 means this will be a better experience than the Nintendo systems.

Still a few duffers in the line up. Nobody needs to play altered beast, streets of rage or golden axe

Fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Relikk wrote: »
    Hadn't seen that. I only keep seeing the Genesis version. A strange division in products, though. You'd think Street Fighter with a six button controller would be a shoo-in on all versions.
    *Mega Drive.

*Shoe in.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Fixed!
    HERETIC!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I really hope they use the plastic dome style D pad and not gel.

Kind of glad they went with the three button pad. The 6 button is great but I always found it a bit small.

*Shoe in.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

True, Mega Drive is a better name.

Got to 8-1 in mario bros with 2 lives left and choked big time. Best I've done warpless. Someday I'll beat it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got to 8-1 in mario bros with 2 lives left and choked big time. Best I've done warpless. Someday I'll beat it.
    The only Mario games i've ever finished were 6 golden coins and the DS one. Some day i'll play and beat another

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Thanks - mega drive preordered

• Advertisement

The only Mario games i've ever finished were 6 golden coins and the DS one. Some day i'll play and beat another

The game is disgustingly hard. Never had a NES when younger so not in my muscle memory.

I really want mod my Dreamcast. Does Oisin still do mods, and if so, how far to his place in case I deliver it personally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Fixed!

Nothing wrong with a bit of golden axe

I really want mod my Dreamcast. Does Oisin still do mods, and if so, how far to his place in case I deliver it personally?

Nothing wrong with a bit of golden axe

Says you!

Master of the Universe

Must be confusing me with someone else, I was never in the modding business.

What you thinking of modding it with, a harddrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Maybe R-Type Final wasn't the final one after all.

Don't bother, he doesn't have a pantry anymore

Maybe R-Type Final wasn't the final one after all.

I just hope this one is good unlike the. Original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

R-Type Final 1 was rather duff compared to Delta certainly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement