Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd do anything for expensive rare videogames.

Anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hm... I've got a sealed copy of Pikmin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Would you play an all night session of Donkey Kong Country followed by a full day of Halo, all for a Gundam plushy?

Would you play Pit Fighter and Rise of the Robots for a Link toothbrush?

My guess is, yes...

And, sa for birthday pressies, according to my beloved I am IMPOSSIBLE to buy a gift for, which is odd because she knows my heart belongs to gaming, what she really means is that I am impossible to buy a non-gaming gift for.

Which is, like, sad...

For me.... :(

If I could go back in time I'd change her so she'd love videogames, then everything would be perfect, rather than only wonderful!

Just print off some ebay auctions and wallpaper them all over the house. She should get the hint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If I could go back in time I'd change her so she'd love videogames, then everything would be perfect, rather than only wonderful!

Two words ciderman:

Stockholm Syndrome.

They're like putty afterwards.

Either that make her play bubble bobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Nothing at the moment. Rather, coding a crap game for Uni.

I get a week off after the 18th, and I'm looking to finish Okami, Rogue Galaxy and re-play Silent Hill 2. I can't wait. Super Mario Bros. Wii may have something to say about that, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

street fighter 2 on megadrive,you forget how small the sprites are when you played the arcade port so often...

Fred83 wrote: »
    street fighter 2 on megadrive,you forget how small the sprites are when you played the arcade port so often...

Why? Dear god why? You can play the much better arcade version on mame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

only got it for collection sake :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Nothing at the moment. Rather, coding a crap game for Uni.

I get a week off after the 18th, and I'm looking to finish Okami, Rogue Galaxy and re-play Silent Hill 2. I can't wait. Super Mario Bros. Wii may have something to say about that, though.

I have Rogue Galaxy and Okami sitting at home waiting for me to play them, I have to decide which to start next, which one is shorter?

I just finished Super Mario Bros. Wii and enjoyed every second of it and I'm playing Link's Awakening again for old times sake, currently just finished the 4th Dungeon where you get the flippers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rogue Galaxy is mind numbing, seriously boring, at least the 2 hours I've put in are.
    Don't understand why JRPGs make you wade through all that crap, turning people off the game completely.
    Same thing with the PS2 Dragon Quest game, I kept falling asleep.

At least Zelda made you feel like you were taking part in something, not just awaiting the next random battle.

Or can someone explain the attraction of these games to me, so I can go back to them with fresh eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Rogue Galaxy is mind numbing, seriously boring, at least the 2 hours I've put in are.
    Don't understand why JRPGs make you wade through all that crap, turning people off the game completely.

At least Zelda made you feel like you were taking part in something, not just awaiting the next random battle.

Or can someone explain the attraction of these games to me, so I can go back to them with fresh eyes?

Well that settles that then! Unless someone can come up with some positive spin for Rogue Galaxy then I'll be starting Okami next then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem I had with VII and VIII is that the music on the PC sounds awful. They're just sloppy ports.

It's just the difference between the MIDI implementation on the PSX and the software GM set MIDI Synth Microsoft uses. There's a patch that makes it absolutely perfect (Anime's XP patch IIRC). VIII I couldn't really see any problem with as a port.

Don't get me wrong, lots of folk like that style of game, I just played it expecting a japanese KOTOR, exotic locations, action, all that, ah well.....

Okami is wonderful, closest thing to Zelda on the PS2, the Wii version is nice too, get through it before the DS sequel is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Mostly PS2 tonight. Played some Pro Evo 6, WipEout Pulse, XG3, Maximo, Klonoa and Midnight Club II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I have Rogue Galaxy and Okami sitting at home waiting for me to play them, I have to decide which to start next, which one is shorter?

I just finished Super Mario Bros. Wii and enjoyed every second of it and I'm playing Link's Awakening again for old times sake, currently just finished the 4th Dungeon where you get the flippers.

I'd probably guess to say that Okami's shorter.

Well, "wading through all that crap" is the attraction in part. It's the time you spend/waste with a JRPG that's the attraction.

And happy birthday. What's it like being on the other side of thirty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

loaded up a new game of pokemon red :pac:

It's kinda the same as it was, but a little different.
    When I was 28 rather than 38 I was a different man, now I have a wife, wonderful son, but it's not all great, I play less Dreamcast than I did back then, so, highs and lows, ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Played Zorgons Revenge and Xenon1 on the Oric, wow what a blast from the past:eek::eek:
    Just incredible that the tapes still loaded after all these years...

One real cool moment was while I was playing Harrier Attack (on same puter) and looking inside the tape box, written on the inside sleeve; in ball-point-pen was;
    Highest Scores: 21600, NAME: (me) Date: 8-4-'85:D:D

Wow does that take me back.

Have to say tho - the best gaming crack I had (with my daughters) was on the 2600 - INDY 500 and Phoenix. Awesome gameplay - even today.

On a downside - ZX81's wouldnt work, Amiga 500 psu is non working - puter proably snuffed too.:rolleyes:

Thinking about getting another A500 or A1200. Anyone got any good sources - BuyandSell had nothing... ebay uk had a few but shipping costs very high or the items were probably DOA.
    (sry for the OT rant.)

Anyway, tonight it'll be - Asteroids, Battlezone and Defender on the 2600 again. :)

Friends say it's a midlife crisis - people who know me - say I never grew up... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'll be finishing Zelda: Link to the past tonight then it's on to Zelda:OOT this weekend :)

• Advertisement

Try to get Defender II: Stargate for the 2600, it really is awesome, uses the 2nd player stick to do the smartbomb, hyperspace and so on, brilliant!

And as for Asteroids, I have an excellent Homebrew version on my Vectrex, running via a Vecflash cart, and it's like playing the arcade game! Vector graphics simply can't be properly emulated on a CRT or LCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And as for Asteroids, I have an excellent Homebrew version on my Vectrex, running via a Vecflash cart, and it's like playing the arcade game! Vector graphics simply can't be properly emulated on a CRT or LCD.

Where'd you get the Vectrex if you don't mind me asking? I really would love one. They really are quite expensive on the bay unfortunately.

Well, I've told the tale a number of times, but I got mine from the Isle of Mann, a fella there had one for sale but refused to post it as it is quite delicate.
    He metioned he had a friend who had a plane, or two, a farmer, and he flew into Ireland twice a week, and he'd be happy to drop it over.
    Fantastic! I reckoned it'd be coming into Weston maybe, and I'd just have to turn up.

Well, it turns out that people beyond our borders only know of Ireland, not Ulster, not northern Ireland and the republic, just "Ireland", so it was a surprise when the "airport" this guy was flying into was, in fact, Newtown Ards!

Now, this place is in the east of the province, basically you have to drive to Belfast and take a right, more or less.
    Plenty of country roads and locals who may not have seen an Irish reg before!

My dad and I took my car up, and it was a good 3 hours to get to the "airport", or rather a field with some portacabins set up around one end as the offices.

The plane was very late, an hour or so.
    Turned out the jeep the farmer used to relay his aircrafts radio to the Isle of Mann tower, he took off from a field on his own land, had broken down and had to be towed into position.
    In fact it was touch and go if he was going to make the journey, and there would have been no way to contact me, waiting in the cold.

Nevertheless, a little Cessna touched down, and a guy came out the gates with a cardboard box and handed it to me, that was that, no customs, no nothing!

Away home then with my prize!

The other thing you need is a Richard Hutchinson Vecflash cartridge, these are now flashed via a USB cable, mine is a serial one, and are fantastic.
    The entire back catalogue of the Vectrex is free domain, no one owns it any more, so you can download it all if you want, not to mention a good sized collection of excellent homebrew, including amazing versions of Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Missile Command.

I can't recommend a Vectrex enough

Well, I've told the tale a number of times, but I got mine from the Isle of Mann, a fella there had one for sale but refused to post it as it is quite delicate.
    He metioned he had a friend who had a plane, or two, a farmer, and he flew into Ireland twice a week, and he'd be happy to drop it over.
    Fantastic! I reckoned it'd be coming into Weston maybe, and I'd just have to turn up.

Well, it turns out that people beyond our borders only know of Ireland, not Ulster, not northern Ireland and the republic, just "Ireland", so it was a surprise when the "airport" this guy was flying into was, in fact, Newtown Ards!

Now, this place is in the east of the province, basically you have to drive to Belfast and take a right, more or less.
    Plenty of country roads and locals who may not have seen an Irish reg before!

My dad and I took my car up, and it was a good 3 hours to get to the "airport", or rather a field with some portacabins set up around one end as the offices.

The plane was very late, an hour or so.
    Turned out the jeep the farmer used to relay his aircrafts radio to the Isle of Mann tower, he took off from a field on his own land, had broken down and had to be towed into position.
    In fact it was touch and go if he was going to make the journey, and there would have been no way to contact me, waiting in the cold.

Nevertheless, a little Cessna touched down, and a guy came out the gates with a cardboard box and handed it to me, that was that, no customs, no nothing!

Away home then with my prize!

The other thing you need is a Richard Hutchinson Vecflash cartridge, these are now flashed via a USB cable, mine is a serial one, and are fantastic.
    The entire back catalogue of the Vectrex is free domain, no one owns it any more, so you can download it all if you want, not to mention a good sized collection of excellent homebrew, including amazing versions of Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Missile Command.

Master of the Universe

Wow! That's some tale. One you can recount to your great great grandchildren when they asked what that strange looking old tv thing is. Seems fitting for such a treasure of an item.

I'm telling you, it's beautiful.
    Only thing is, it buzzes a bit in use, perfectly normal, it's the tube busy scanning lines onto the groovy-la-roo screen!

Played a bit of RezHD last night, still awesome!

Wonder what a Wii edition could bring?
    Instead of using the analog stick to move the crosshairs, the Wii-mote would do a great job, of course you'd lose the HD advantage, but the DC and PS2 editions looka nd play pretty well without such high tech nonsense!

Master of the Universe

I'm telling you, it's beautiful.
    Only thing is, it buzzes a bit in use, perfectly normal, it's the tube busy scanning lines onto the groovy-la-roo screen!

I read a bit about this and it's because on the earlier versions, there's no sheilding between the monitor and the speakers. So you get interferance. Was fixed in later versions though.

Can I has a lend of your one pleases? I promise I'll give it back...
    Played a bit of RezHD last night, still awesome!

Wonder what a Wii edition could bring?
    Instead of using the analog stick to move the crosshairs, the Wii-mote would do a great job, of course you'd lose the HD advantage, but the DC and PS2 editions looka nd play pretty well without such high tech nonsense!

Criminally, I still haven't played Rez. Should probably rectify that.

Bah, no matter how many games you play, there's always half a million great ones left. Not a bad thing I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well, I've told the tale a number of times, but I got mine from the Isle of Mann, a fella there had one for sale but refused to post it as it is quite delicate..............................................
    Well, I've told the tale a number of times, but I got mine from the Isle of Mann, a fella there had one for sale but refused to post it as it is quite delicate..........................................
    So good he told it twice ;)

still playing pokemon red, methinks addiction is rearing its ugly head:pac:, ok ive only put in 2 and a half hours so far and im about to fight misty.

What?! 2 and 1/2 hours and you're only at misty?!

Ahem! Sorry for that outburst :o

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I want a room like this -

setup.jpg

It's from someone over on digitalpress. He has an amazing network of cables behind that. Each console has a number. So you flick the corresponding number on a scart block and it's instant gaming. Also has all the control pad cables extended to reach the chair.

I want that room! Never mind one like it :pac:

I would have sex with that room..............twice

Only twice? ;)

Only twice? ;)
    I dont wanna cause too much mess.Too many pretty things :pac:

Master of the Universe

Remind me never to let you two near my games room.

Remind me to cover all my stuff in plastic, Lethal Weapon 2 style, before any of you ever set foot in my little games room, not looking forward to cleaning "protein stains" from any of the consoles up there!

And yes, the Vectrex really is a great machine, not too expensive on ebay, the shipping is the biggest part, and with the aforementioned flash cart, bliss is delivered!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Remind me never to let you two near my games room.
    Too late >_>

I'm not that bad :o

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

And yes, the Vectrex really is a great machine, not too expensive on ebay, the shipping is the biggest part, and with the aforementioned flash cart, bliss is delivered!

They're pricy enough, but I guess seeing as it includes a vector monitor it's worth the cost.

I would imagine postage is lots alright. They heavy yeah?
    Too late >_>

Gah! Tell me you didn't go near the Neo Geo! Anything but the Neo Geo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

Beavis and Butt-Head on the sega mega drive...

possibly one of the best game's ever for the ending.
    What other game allows you to mosh on stage with GWAR in full gimp clad

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gah! Tell me you didn't go near the Neo Geo! Anything but the Neo Geo :(
    It was treated very very well :cool:

Now to stop this before I go down a path theres no turning back from

It was treated very very well :cool:

Now to stop this before I go down a path theres no turning back from

I think you've gone too far already....;)

Nah plenty of room left

im fairly lazy, is it possible to just walk by mistys gym and come back to it later?

• Advertisement

Nnnnnnno, not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just finished Pang (World), EPIC game, love it to bits.
    Takes me way back when i loaded all my money into it.
    Damn dynamite, dont burst all my bubbles !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm playing a good bit of Maximo vs Army of Zin and I quite like it alot, tis deadly.

The first Maximo is very good as well, only problem was that it started out so tough, the first few levels were some of the toughest in the game. Army of Zin is a great game and a big improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I'm playing a good bit of Maximo vs Army of Zin and I quite like it alot, tis deadly.

Just check prices of this on eBay. It sells for little which is surprising since it's the spiritual successor to ghouls n' goblins.

LOZ: four sword adventure sells for €50 :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement