Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-11-2019, 17:37   #3796
career move

Nov 11th - Nov 17th

Monday:

Core 10:00
Run 1:11:00 12.9 km (5:30 / km) +225m 5:04 / km

I did some bodyweight exercises and some hamstring specific exercises before I went for my last run in Edinburgh. It was frosty and my trail shoes are super slippy on frosty tarmac so I waited till about half 9 to go out. It hadn't thawed at all really but I went on the trails along the Water of Leith again and it was pretty safe except for one bit of tarmac. I missed my turn across a bridge which would have brought me around in a circle so after 35 min running towards Balerno I turned and ran back. It's a gradual pull uphill on the way which you only really notice when you turn and suddenly life is so much easier!!

Wednesday:

Run 37:19 6.0 km (6:13 / km)

Hamstring felt a bit better. It was a dark early morning run and I picked a bad route because the road surface wasn't great and the hedges were too high so I couldn't see clearly where the potholes were.

Friday:

Run 43:47 7.31km (5:59 / km)

I think this was fairly straightforward

Saturday:

Run 1:49:30 15.09 km (7:15 / km) +488m 6:15 / km

The South Eastern Mountain Rescue hold The Long Way Round every year to raise money. It's 15km walk/run over local roads, forest tracks and open mountain side around the Comeragh mountain range near Clonmel. It's 'not a race' but just like every bike sportive I've done, it secretly is a race and everyone wants to know what time you did it in at the finish. It's lots of fun and really well organised and they always get a great turn out. They have the trees decorated with fairy lights and this year at one spot they had a carol singer. It's a really nice run to do. I think over 700 people did it this year and the majority of those were walkers. Luckily they were blessed with a nice dry evening. I had the company of my brother John, ex boardsie Dilbert and a lady we met on one of the many hills named Sandra so it was a very sociable little jaunt. John found it tough but we stayed with him on the hills and he was fine. My hamstring was complaining a little so it was just as well that I had to go easy. The last time I did it was in 2016 when I was suffering with an on going hip problem so it would be nice to do this race when I'm injury free

Sunday:

Core: 20 min

Both hamstrings are a little tight. Left is worse. I was just looking back and the left hamstring is the one I strained badly warming up for the National Masters T&F last year. I should really be more diligent about doing the rehab. Too lazy to go out on my bike today. Even though I had my bike all set to go, when the alarm went this morning I just rolled over and went back to sleep Must do better next week

activity#timemileskm
Walk 22:00:007.7312.44
Run44:21:3625.6641.3
Core 230:00 
Total 86:51:3633.3953.74
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 19:16   #3797
career move

Nov 25th - Dec 1st

Week 10/15

Monday:

Core 5:00

Legs were still sore

Tuesday:

Run 1: 20:00 3.4 km (5:53 / km)

Run 2: 15:00 2.4 km (6:15 / km)

Run 3: 20:00 3.4 mi (5:53 / mi)

I did not intend to do this. Legs were better and I was going to do a 30min run before work but when my alarm went off, it was raining so I went back to sleep. Then when I got into Dublin it was still raining but instead of getting the bus like my more sensible colleague I said to myself if I run I'll get my run done for the day and I won't get too wet because I have my rain jacket. Unfortunately from the waist down I was soaked but the aforementioned colleague lent me her run gear while my clothes dried on the radiator. All good so far. Then at lunchtime I went out for some fresh air but it was freezing so I jogged 2 laps of the outside of Stephens Green. And in the evening it was raining again so I ran back to the station

Wednesday:

Bike turbo (Gcn v02 max intervals) 1:00:00
rhr:46

Core 30:00

I checked my resting heart rate. It's normally around 40. 46 is high. My legs were tired. For the intervals my power was down and for the 5min sweet spot at the end I had to use an easier gear than normal and even then it was a struggle to keep my cadence around 100. My HR monitor wasn't working

Thursday:

Run fartlek 45:00 8.09 km (5:34 / km)

2k w/u in 11:48
Fartlek 2.55mile in 20min @ 7:51/mi
2k c/d in 13:14

I went out for an easy run but my hamstrings felt good so I decided on an impromptu fartlek. Everything was good but my left hip sore was noticeably sore after last interval and in the evening. At this stage I could write a long essay on how best to treat my hip pain and the few exercises I did in the evening seemed to hit the spot

Friday:

Just in case I decided not to run today. Resting heart rate was 44. Still a bit high. Hip was fine walking

Saturday:

Run 42:00 7.2 km (5:50 / km)
rhr:39

Resting heart rate back to normal. I wanted to do more but my legs were tired and I was conscious of not pushing too hard. I must be getting old .... I'm finally getting sense

Sunday:

Bike 4:53:00 125.22 km (25.6 kph)

Nah I'm not getting old. I'm still crazy but let's be clear. I did not go to bed last night thinking "Oh I'm super bike fit. I think I'll do 125k on the bike tomorrow". What happened was I put my name down for the group ride on the whatsapp group. Then I rang my brother and he said he could only go out early so I agreed to meet him to do a lap of the race route (~29k) and then I'd go on and meet the club.
This morning was freezing cold and there was a really nasty breeze on the bike. I ended up doing nearly 40k with John and sadly for me he was feeling really good and kicked my ass on the bike. I forgot my inhaler and my breathing was pants but my legs were crap anyway. I had time for a quick cup of tea and a bar before I met the group.
I was still feeling pretty cooked and I was hoping nobody showed up and I could just trundle home but that didn't happen. Still I thought it'll be fine, I'll be able to sit in in the group. Unfortunately the group was an A1 rider, an A2 rider, a guy who's A4 but can drop me whenever he feels like it and a track cyclist. I have never suffered as much as I did on the bike today. I was breathless going up the smallest of hills, my legs were like WTF, what is happening here and also I forgot to eat anything Then when we should have been finished, the track cyclist said let's do another 30k for the craic. And instead of saying No I need to go home and lie on my bed, I agreed Definitive proof that I am not getting any older or wiser

activity#timemileskm
Bike14:53:0077.81125.22
Walk 33:10:0012.3519.87
Run42:22:0016.526.56
Bike turbo11:00:00 
Core 445:00 
Total 1312:10:00106.66171.66
01-12-2019, 21:36   #3798
Baby75

fair play to you

That race The long way round sounds good and my kinda thing I am making a note of it for next year

It hard to get out on the bike now, I got my self some good lights but I need to get used to no street lights on some roads but determinded to keep the cycling up for the winter

I hope the hamstring is well on the mend as well
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 09:04   #3799
career move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
fair play to you

That race The long way round sounds good and my kinda thing I am making a note of it for next year

It hard to get out on the bike now, I got my self some good lights but I need to get used to no street lights on some roads but determinded to keep the cycling up for the winter

I hope the hamstring is well on the mend as well
I would definitely recommend The Long Way Round. It's such a nice run. It's magical being up in the woods with all the head torches and the fairy lights and it's really well organised.
I only go out on the bike in daylight when I have company although I have lights. I prefer using the trainer to be honest.
Thanks from:
03-12-2019, 23:43   #3800
Baby75

Quote:
Originally Posted by career move View Post
I would definitely recommend The Long Way Round. It's such a nice run. It's magical being up in the woods with all the head torches and the fairy lights and it's really well organised.
I only go out on the bike in daylight when I have company although I have lights. I prefer using the trainer to be honest.

I think I need to invest in a trainer
Advertisement
04-12-2019, 09:50   #3801
career move

Quote:
I think I need to invest in a trainer
Best bike investment you'll make And there's loads of sessions on YouTube to do to make it more interesting
Thanks from:
08-12-2019, 17:12   #3802
career move

Dec 2nd - Dec 8th

Monday:

Run 25:00 4.0 km (6:15 / km)

Ran into work. Can't remember why. It might have been cold or else I just felt like running

Tuesday:

Run 35:00 3.5 mi (10:00 / mi)

Ran to and from work. Approximate time and distance. I've decided that this run commute is definitely better than getting up in the dark and running in the dark

Wednesday:

Run 20:00 3.5 km (5:43 / km)

Thursday:

Run 41:35 7.0 km (5:56 / km) with 1.5m fartlek

I did shorter intervals than last week but I felt very breathless. I haven't used my inhaler since I did the parkrun on Oct 27th but I think I need to start using it again

Bike turbo vo2max intervals 50:00
ahr:135 max:166

Felt better than last week but still struggled to hold the power on the last 5min interval. Funny enough I did the run in the morning and these around 4pm and my breathing was quite good for these

Friday:

Run 16:02 [1] 2.9 km (5:32 / km)

Run 18:58 [1] 3.18 km (5:58 / km)

Two run commutes. Used my phone to measure.

Saturday:

Run 1:00:00 6.3 mi (9:31 / mi)

Running is frustrating for me. My head wants to do 2 sessions a week and a long long run but my legs and my lungs are not co-operating. My left hamstring/quad is not right. Partly my own fault - I did no core work this week

Sunday:

Bike 14:35 7.73 km (31.8 kph)
ahr:140 max:167

Bike 4:12:00 100.77 km (24.0 kph)
ahr:128 max:158

The first bike was into town. The wind was behind my but I was pushing hard because I wanted to be well out of breath. When I stopped I took 2 puffs of the inhaler and about 10 minutes later I set off with the group. There was 5 of us out again this week but neither of the A1/A2 guys came. The first 20k was into the wind. It was really tough. Then we turned and I ate a bar (lesson learned from last week). It was hard to get it out of my pocket and get my glove back on but thankfully the pace was steady. It was nice for about 1k before it started to rain. The next 10 - 15k was wet but at least we were out of the wind. We stopped at a garage for food after about 1hr 40. We didn't stop too long because we were all wet and getting cold. The next 10k was brutal. The wind was baltic. My legs, fingers and feet were all freezing. Seamus turned off for home and I was going to turn off and take the short way home but at the last minute I decided to go back into town. Then the sun came out and I started to warm up. Got back into town and I took a notion to do another 15k by cycling home with Keith. Couldn't persuade my brother to join us. It was nice and sunny and not too windy. When I turned back however it started to rain again and I was disappointed that there wasn't more of a tailwind. I ate another bar. I wanted to do 100k so I added on another bit at the end that almost killed me. So happy to finally get home and crawl off my bike.

activity#timemileskm
Bike14:26:3567.42108.5
Walk 21:00:004.296.9
Run63:36:3522.5936.35
Bike turbo150:00 
Total 109:53:1094.29151.75
Yesterday, 11:26   #3803
Baby75

I might ask santa for a turbo trainer, days like today when I am home with the kids it would be perfect.

How do you keep the toes warm on the bike, I just learnt you can get battery heated socks so tempted
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:16   #3804
career move

Quote:
I might ask santa for a turbo trainer, days like today when I am home with the kids it would be perfect.

How do you keep the toes warm on the bike, I just learnt you can get battery heated socks so tempted
I ordered a pair of overshoes last week https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-extreme...rene-overshoe/
They haven't arrived yet but hopefully I'll have them before Sunday.
One of the guys told me to wrap my shoes in clingfilm before putting on the overshoes if it's very wet/cold. You can also wrap your feet in tinfoil before putting on shoes but you have to be careful not to restrict the blood circulation or it'll be worse than just having socks and shoes on
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:19   #3805
IvoryTower

Am I missing something here, why would your toes be cold on a turbo inside a house

edit, sorry i see theyre separate discussions
(3) thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:42   #3806
Baby75

Quote:
Originally Posted by career move View Post
I ordered a pair of overshoes last week https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-extreme...rene-overshoe/
They haven't arrived yet but hopefully I'll have them before Sunday.
One of the guys told me to wrap my shoes in clingfilm before putting on the overshoes if it's very wet/cold. You can also wrap your feet in tinfoil before putting on shoes but you have to be careful not to restrict the blood circulation or it'll be worse than just having socks and shoes on
Cling film might work, I am not sure about tinfoil though I must remember to tape up the air vents in the bottom of my shoes,I will check out the overshoes I have a pair but thermal or better ones might help stop the wind chill
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion