Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

Options
  • 27-03-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

Well, after an.. interesting launch.. the p20 and p20 pro are here!

Full list of specs:
    • PROCESSOR
    • Huawei Kirin 970
    • Octa-core CPU (2.36 GHz + 1.8 GHz)
    • Mali-G72 MP12 GPU
    • SCREEN SIZE
    • 5.8 inches LCD, 2240 x 1080 pixels (428 ppi), 18.7:9 aspect ratio - P20
    • 6.1 inches OLED, 2240 x 1080 pixels (407 ppi), 18.7:9 aspect ratio - P20 Pro
    • MEMORY
    • 4GB RAM - P20
    • 6GB RAM - P20 Pro
    • STORAGE
    • 128GB internal, no microSD slot
    • CAMERA/S
    • Dual rear: 12MP RGB + 20MP Monochrome, f/1.8 + f/1.6 aperture, Leica optics - P20
    • Triple rear: 40MP RGB + 20MP Monochrome + 8MP Telephoto, f/1.8 + f/1.6 + f/2.4, Leica optics - P20 Pro
    • Front: 24MP
    • BATTERY
    • 3400 mAh - P20
    • 4000 mAh - P20 Pro
    • MATERIALS
    • Glass body
    • IP53 water and dust resistant - P20
    • IP67 water and dust resistant - P20 Pro
    • OPERATING SYSTEM
    • Android 8.1 Oreo with EMUI 8.1

Huawei P20 4GB/128GB = €649
    Huawei P20 Pro 6GB/128GB = €899
    Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS 6GB/256GB = €1695 6GB/512GB = €2095

Looks like it will be available from Vodafone, Eir and 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LTE CAT18 apparently. If your operator pushes 3/4CA+MIMO then the downlink bandwidth is potentially supermassive.

Still not a huge fan of HiSilicon though, they've always been 3rd class citizens compared to QC and MTK.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hoping one of the networks actually stock the Pro - it's the one I'm most interested in ,
    Have the P9 but didn't bother with P10 as it seems only an incremental update ,
    Definitely excited for 3 cameras and seeing what they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

I have the p9 as well and I'm due an upgrade...will see what the reviews say.

The p9 was alright. A bit buggy in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Updated the OP with the prices!

Only thing that puts me off the Huawei devices really is EMUI, tried it a few times and never liked it so will see how it is on the p20's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Using the P10 at moment, class phone, one of the best one's i've had i'd say.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Any idea when this will be in stores here?

Did I see it's the same chip as the p10/p10 pro?
    And the same battery?

So it's 2017 technology with a new camera system? Similar to Samsung with the s8/s9

I was doubting between the s9+ and the p10 pro untill I heard the p20 was due for release... I had really hoped for wireless charging on the p20 pro...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Did I see it's the same chip as the p10/p10 pro?
    And the same battery?

So it's 2017 technology with a new camera system? Similar to Samsung with the s8/s9

Wrong.

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.
    I did have question marks on the initial piece ...

I'm really torn between this and the s9+ so I'm open to correction but moreso to enlightenment ....

not being smart here ... really want to know the rights of it so I am able to make an informed choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I did have question marks on the initial piece ...

I'm really torn between this and the s9+ so I'm open to correction but moreso to enlightenment ....

not being smart here ... really want to know the rights of it so I am able to make an informed choice

It has the 970 Chipset, same as the Mate 10/Mate 10 pro. The P10/P10 plus has the 960.
    The 970 has the NPU for AI.

It has the 970 Chipset, same as the Mate 10/Mate 10 pro. The P10/P10 plus has the 960.
    The 970 has the NPU for AI.

my mistake ... Thats what I meant ... the mate 10 pro and the mate 20 pro ... are they a very similar device except for camera systems?

missus has the p10 .. its the mate 10 pro I was looking at untilI heard about the mate 20 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm also between the s9+, p20 pro and the htc12 if I can hold out that long.:D

The p20 pro mainly due to camera and battery life, which Samsung is starting to get some bad reviewd on.

Does it not have an SD card if you do not go for the dual SIM?

Also, when are vodafone likely to start pre orders.

It's already on vodafone UK with free pair of Bose quite comfort 35.

I presume we will get similar offer here:o

my mistake ... Thats what I meant ... the mate 10 pro and the mate 20 pro ... are they a very similar device except for camera systems?

missus has the p10 .. its the mate 10 pro I was looking at untilI heard about the mate 20 pro

you mean the p20 pro? Theres no mate 20 pro

the 'when' and 'where' in ireland is what I'm interested in too ...

you mean the p20 pro? Theres no mate 20 pro

ok ... I start again ... I'm interested in top spec phone of the ones huawei released today :D

ok ... I start again ... I'm interested in top spec phone of the ones huawei released today :D

Ah so you mean the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS that costs 1.5k minimum? Right... :p (Nah I know you mean the p20 pro lol).

I don't think any carriers here stocked the p10 plus last year, so hopefully they stock the p20 pro. (Not that I'd be getting one, dislike emui big time but nice to have more options!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Ah so you mean the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS that costs 1.5k minimum? Right... :p (Nah I know you mean the p20 pro lol).

I don't think any carriers here stocked the p10 plus last year, so hopefully they stock the p20 pro. (Not that I'd be getting one, dislike emui big time but nice to have more options!)

Why would you waste your money on 256GB when you can get 512GB for just a smidgin over 2k:D

Well my contract is up in 17days... So hopefully it becomes clear what will be available here

A little disappointed that they have omitted wireless charge but have included it in the Porsche edition

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

3 had the P10 plus, IIRC it was €749 when I was looking at buying it.
    I'm not 100%, but I think Voda may have had it for a time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Nice hardware but I still don't think id personally be able to see past emui.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Nice hardware but I still don't think id personally be able to see past emui.

Isn't that what Nova is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Patww79 wrote: »
    I have nova on a p10 lite no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Researching this phone myself.

I came across this in Bargain Alerts.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057677268&page=50

https://huaweipromo.co.uk/gb/en/pages/p20bose/how-it-works

Pre ordering P20, gets you a pair of Bose QP35 MkII wireless Headphones. I have the Mark I pair atm, 300+euro. Incredible.

I'm very tempted by the phone now. Need a new one, and the headphones are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Yeah the Bose headphones are what is leaning me towards buying it. Someone said in the terms and conditions that its subject to availability. I'd be pretty peeved if I bought the phone and didn't get the headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't that what Nova is for?

Ya but that still won't help some system level functionality weirdness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any idea why there is a physical home button on the fron of the P20 & Pro but not the Lite? I think the Lites design is nicer to the eye...

Advertisement