Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Monokne wrote:
    Is there any specific reason for this? Seems weird.

Amazons rules. 4k stick is only supported in a handful of countries. That doesn't mean that you can't get one though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ablelocks wrote: »
    is there something in the settings that would enable prime uk? It worked for me for a couple of days, now it won't work at all with prime.

Don't think so. No VPN seems to get Prime UK working outside of UK.

TheDriver wrote:

Smart dns is very successful at this though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

TheDriver wrote: »

I am watching Prime UK in Dublin right now.

Express VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Monokne wrote: »
    I am watching Prime UK in Dublin right now.

Express VPN.

What's all this now? I though I was watching UK content but I've never used a VPN to do so. I've even watched the premier league on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

L'prof wrote: »
    What's all this now? I though I was watching UK content but I've never used a VPN to do so. I've even watched the premier league on it

Changed post Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Changed post Brexit

Really? I thought I'd used it since then but maybe not. Is all of it blocked off without a VPN?

Edit: I had a quick look there and you're right :( Switched on Nord and that worked so happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

mightyreds wrote: »
    Theres one posted in bargain alerts (so I cant take credit for the deal) for keepsolid, I used it last night and it was fine, its 40$ for a lifetime sub but use DN40 and you'll get it for 24$

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

Are Keepsolid and Keep Solid VPN Unlimited the exact same service?

The reason I ask is that I already have Keepsolid VPN Unlimited on a free trial and I'm just wondering if that is some sort of budget version of Keep Solid.

While they cover a good range of countries, as best as I can see they wouldn't have anything like as many servers per country as NordVPN.

My Nord sub ends later this year and I am thinking of switching. Is Keep Solid on a par with Nord?

Trevord wrote: »
    Are Keepsolid and Keep Solid VPN Unlimited the exact same service?

The reason I ask is that I already have Keepsolid VPN Unlimited on a free trial and I'm just wondering if that is some sort of budget version of Keep Solid.

While they cover a good range of countries, as best as I can see they wouldn't have anything like as many servers per country as NordVPN.

My Nord sub ends later this year and I am thinking of switching. Is Keep Solid on a par with Nord?

It's all the one. They have other products but keepsolid VPNunlimited is what we have.
    It doesn't have a massive amount of servers but it does have US and UK streaming along with India and Turkey. No argentina.
    I haven't had issues in the last 2 years. Usually the issue is with the app or service rather than the VPN in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stephmcd

Apologies if this has been asked already. Has anyone a way of getting Virgin media player on the firestick. I've got rte no problem. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

stephmcd wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked already. Has anyone a way of getting Virgin media player on the firestick. I've got rte no problem. Thanks in advance.

Yes but it needs two other apps (mouse toggle and set orientation) you can get both from Filelinked stores (see post #1)

Then sideload Virgin Media player version 4.0.2 from one of the apk sites

It helps if you have already set up a VM account via their website on laptop. (less typing with the firestick remote required)

See post #333 for detailed instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stephmcd

Thank you so much. It's working perfectly.

For anyone with the S Sports sub

Buried way down in the bottom of the home page is a Films section and it's not just sports related films either.

There is a fairly random collection of action/adventure stuff and some kids movies like the Harry Potter series. Might keep them quiet for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For anyone looking for the 4K version of the Firestick, I got one delivered from this crowd yesterday. €66.04 including €6.05 delivery using An Post.

https://expertlaois.ie/product/amazon-firestick/

The only bizarre thing is that it was a US Firestick that I received with a separate three-pin adaptor. American plug inside and pictures of HBO, NBC, Showtime etc. on the box! Now it made no difference to me as I have a load of USB plugs so I just used one of them. I was able to set it up as normal and attach it to my normal Amazon account. It even synced apps from my other 4K Firestick

Dispatched Monday morning and received it yesterday which was fine but only after I had asked where my order (from the previous Wednesday) was. They may not monitor their online channel that well!

Another option instead of Currys/Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Doodah7 wrote: »
    For anyone looking for the 4K version of the Firestick, I got one delivered from this crowd yesterday. €66.04 including €6.05 delivery using An Post.

https://expertlaois.ie/product/amazon-firestick/

The only bizarre thing is that it was a US Firestick that I received with a separate three-pin adaptor. American plug inside and pictures of HBO, NBC, Showtime etc. on the box! Now it made no difference to me as I have a load of USB plugs so I just used one of them. I was able to set it up as normal and attach it to my normal Amazon account. It even synced apps from my other 4K Firestick

Dispatched Monday morning and received it yesterday which was fine but only after I had asked where my order (from the previous Wednesday) was. They may not monitor their online channel that well!

Another option instead of Currys/Argos.

seems very expensive, theres also a well known supplier/server from laois as well, could be related

edit: apologies, just realised its a reputable retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    seems very expensive,

edit: apologies, just realised its a reputable retailer

Same price as Curry's when you add in their postage costs??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Same price as Curry's when you add in their postage costs??

price has really gone up since i last checked, was 50 last time i looked before santie day

Post COVID I presume you'll be able to buy these duty free if travelling through a UK airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

After the Eir Amazon prime deal ended I'm now paying for prime, which I watch on the firestick. Incidentally, that seems to mean I've got Amazon prime free postage too which I had not realised.

Has anyone had any issues with the switch from free to pay? I tried to watch The Rental last night and got this message:

cqNRoW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

boardtc wrote: »
    After the Eir Amazon prime deal ended I'm now paying for prime, which I watch on the firestick. Incidentally, that seems to mean I've got Amazon prime free postage too which I had not realised.

Has anyone had any issues with the switch from free to pay? I tried to watch The Rental last night and got this message:

cqNRoW.jpg

Didn't get that error but when my year was up I rang eir and signed another 12 month contract and the lad on the phone said to cancel my prime video and sign up again with them as its a new contract so now I'm on my 2nd free year of prime video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i contacted keepsolid and their response was we don't have a dedicated "server to access UK Amazon Prime content, we provide access to the US content only. We can guarantee a stable access only to US version of Amazon Prime Video streaming service".

is it possible to sign up to american prime video only and use that on the firestick? (I still have a month of UK prime on my account so it'll be end feb before i get to try it)

Wanderer78 wrote:
    price has really gone up since i last checked, was 50 last time i looked before santie day

I think they realise that we can no longer get them heavily discounted from Amazon anymore.

ablelocks wrote:
    is it possible to sign up to american prime video only and use that on the firestick? (I still have a month of UK prime on my account so it'll be end feb before i get to try it)

There are two ways to get Amazon Prime Video: You can pay a monthly rate of $8.99 to access Amazon Prime Video as a standalone membership, according to a company spokesperson, or you can sign up for Prime, which costs $12.99 a month or $119 a year.Feb 26, 2019

This is a pretty good price when you see how weak Trump left the mighty dollar. Its less than 7.50 euro per month

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

boardtc wrote: »

cqNRoW.jpg

Brexit means it is now blocked in Ireland. You can watch primevideo.com on your laptop/tablet but not on your firestick. I spent a good bit of time with support trying to get them to enable it for me but they were having none of it.
    If you have sky it does work through your sky q box though for some reason. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just signed up for SSport+
    Looks great
    Thanks for the heads-up

What sort of quality does the app offer? Does it just do HD or 4k?

Thinking of buying an nvidia shield if this offers 4k streaming

I wonder will it go up in price, like turkey isn't that poor a country that you would imagine their equivalent of sky sports would be 2 quid a month..

Supersport in Africa still costs 20 quid a month or something so I don't understand how this is so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Goose81 wrote: »

I wonder will it go up in price, like turkey isn't that poor a country that you would imagine their equivalent of sky sports would be 2 quid a month..

Supersport in Africa still costs 20 quid a month or something so I don't understand how this is so cheap.

Turkey isn't that poor, just their currency is incredibly weak against other currencies. Turkish Netflix has remained very cheap so I'd doubt any drastic price hikes would occur.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Goose81 wrote: »

I've got a 4k stick but don't have a 4k tv so can't say if it does 4k.

I'd be more concerned about buffering than picture quality and I can say that HD streams very well with no buffering. The fact that commentary is available in English for almost everything is also what makes it attractive.

As mentioned in another reply, the turkish lira collapsed in value against the euro and USD. It's only about 1/3 of its value compared to 5 years ago.

159 lira for the annual sub which is just shy of 18 euro right now. At exchange rates 5 years ago that would have been equivalent to about 50 euro.

Elsewhere on boards.ie you will see that people are subscribed to Netflix Turkey for similar reasons.

Some people over on BA thread had issues last night with changing resolution but buffering isn't an issue. Some suggested it was related to the VPN rather than SSports. To be fair on crowds like VPNunlimited, no one was using turkey server and then suddenly its loaded one night so they'll prob fix that.
    Some countries don't like paying for things, others like to be screwed. And companies price accordingly.
    e.g. the netflix trick. I told plenty yet not one did the move, even when I offered to help them. They just didn't mind paying Irish prices. Which is good for us as these companies don't care about a minute percentage of their clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

I've had some buffering and reduced picture quality on s sports over the past few nights. I'm on an older firestick though and few rooms away from the router so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They don't have 4k, there's FAQ on the website.

Another reason for the price is the sports shown, they're probably all niche there. a months pass for the Turkish league on bein sport is over 5 times more than a month ssport.
    Season pass is still 380 lira & it's half way through

Advertisement