Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Knine wrote: »
    When I search for the App, no Prime Video Option comes up!
    IIRC, you need to install Aptoide first and then install Prime Video from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭obi604

Does the fire stick allow you to cast the image on your phone screen to your tv screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

obi604 wrote: »
    Does the fire stick allow you to cast the image on your phone screen to your tv screen?

Yes , it's called screen mirroring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭obi604

Yes , it's called screen mirroring.

Thanks. So sounds like it will do it for the phone and no dependent on a particular app etc.

e.g. could I run skygo on my phone and then mirror it to the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. So sounds like it will do it for the phone and no dependent on a particular app etc.

e.g. could I run skygo on my phone and then mirror it to the TV?

No , SkyGo will not cast .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Trevord

Installed NBC Peacock.

Paid the sub for Peacock Premium with Revolut and a US address. (Paypal was reverted). Need to be on a VPN to do this.

Streaming very well so far (for both live and on demand content) with Nord as the VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

Trevord wrote: »
    Installed NBC Peacock.

Paid the sub for Peacock Premium with Revolut and a US address. (Paypal was reverted). Need to be on a VPN to do this.

Streaming very well so far (for both live and on demand content) with Nord as the VPN.

how much for 12 mths

I have a 4K Firestick that I bought before Christmas last year. I've started to get a few messages about running low in space. A reboot normally fixes it, but wondering if the version on sale at the moment has more memory/storage?

If not, then could anyone recommend a device with a larger memory with an interface that is as easy to use as the firestick?

have you gone in and cleared the cache and data on your apps,by the sounds of it i don,t think you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I have a 4K Firestick that I bought before Christmas last year. I've started to get a few messages about running low in space. A reboot normally fixes it, but wondering if the version on sale at the moment has more memory/storage?

If not, then could anyone recommend a device with a larger memory with an interface that is as easy to use as the firestick?

Why not get an OTG cable for it so you can connect a flash drive. Or maybe do a cleanup of your stick and delete apps that you don't use anymore.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Why not get an OTG cable for it so you can connect a flash drive. Or maybe do a cleanup of your stick and delete apps that you don't use anymore.

i would think the op has not cleaned the data and cache of he,s apps since he got the stick.

• Advertisement

I'm running an IPTV app, Netflix, Youtube, and Mubi. The firestick itself has loads of Amazon apps like IMDB, Amazon Music etc. Don't want to delete any of the apps we are using, and can't delete the Amazon ones.

What's this OTG thing? I did buy the connection thing that allows you to connect the firestick to the router.

have you cleared your apps data and cache ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm running an IPTV app, Netflix, Youtube, and Mubi. The firestick itself has loads of Amazon apps like IMDB, Amazon Music etc. Don't want to delete any of the apps we are using, and can't delete the Amazon ones.

What's this OTG thing? I did buy the connection thing that allows you to connect the firestick to the router.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M83762Y/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a splitter that plugs in between the USB power cable and the Firestick. It adds a USB-A port that you can plug in a flash drive or an external USB hdd.

This explains it better...

https://youtu.be/Og7himaO8SE

bassy wrote: »
    how much for 12 mths

It's $4.99 a month + tax (around $5.50 ish) which works out at about €4.50

I already had the basic (free) account and they sent me a link that gave me a 3 month deal for just over 10 dollars in total (one month free basically)

They have about half the PL games live. You can watch a full replay or highlights of every PL game ( I think they are available for a month)

But one drawback is that NBC shows the remainder of the live PL games on NBCSN and NBC and these are not shown live on Peacock (I had assumed they would be).

So you still need another means of watching NBC and NCBSN for the remaining games. But that's not an issue if you know where to look.

The strangest thing is that the payment appeared as "Sky" on my Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Quackster wrote: »
    You need to install the Prime Video App and use that rather than trying to play from the homepage. Or else get Amazon customer service to set your account as a UK account.

So I contacted Amazon, got the call back straight away & they set my account as UK. Well impressed with their Customer Service. It takes ages to get hold of Sky & they leave you on hold for about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

So you still need another means of watching NBC and NCBSN for the remaining games. But that's not an issue if you know where to look
    Download the NBC Sports app and when it asks you who your cable provider is, select fubo.tv

That might be enough, that's all it asked me

If it asks you to verify your account, take a free trial with fubo and cancel afterwards, seems to work too

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The strangest thing is that the payment appeared as "Sky" on my Revolut card.
    Comcast own both NBC and Sky so Revolut must be mislabeling one as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Knine wrote:
    So I contacted Amazon, got the call back straight away & they set my account as UK. Well impressed with their Customer Service. It takes ages to get hold of Sky & they leave you on hold for about an hour.

Customer service is a cost to some of these companies, and costs are bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Installed NBC Peacock.

I've got as far as getting the Peacock App and setting up a free account that's streaming fine with Windscribe but struggling with making a payment. Paypal wont go through.
    My Revolut has a uk address attached to it. Tried chatting to them about "moving to the US" but was told I would have to close the account and open a new one.

Tried my curve card but still no joy.

Anyone any suggestion as to how I can make this payment?

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    I've got as far as getting the Peacock App and setting up a free account that's streaming fine with Windscribe but struggling with making a payment. Paypal wont go through.
    My Revolut has a uk address attached to it. Tried chatting to them about "moving to the US" but was told I would have to close the account and open a new one.

Tried my curve card but still no joy.

Anyone any suggestion as to how I can make this payment?

I've sent you a DM.

Anyone using the NBC Sports app?

The only apks I've found seem to require set orientation

Is there a specific version for firestick anywhere? Haven't found any on filelinked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's on the US store

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's on the US store

So switch my Amazon account temporarily to US in order to access it through the US store?

So switch my Amazon account temporarily to US in order to access it through the US store?

You can change over easily, on Amazon site go to manage content & devices>preferences, should be a region setting there.

I haven't bothered switching back yet, still get updates for the apps installed from the UK store.

I don't use prime video though so be careful with that, but I can't watch the free IMDb stuff the US gets so my p.video is still probably set to UK.
    I haven't asked them to change it, never got round to it.

You could try this version first
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nbcuniversal-media-llc/nbc-sports-android-tv/nbc-sports-android-tv-1-0-2008261245-release/nbc-sports-android-tv-1-0-2008261245-android-apk-download/#file

locast is a US tv app that I haven't seen mentioned here previously.

It's a legitimate not for profit service in the US that broadcasts Free to Air TV channels over the web in particular cities.

More details here https://www.locast.org/

Similar to wikipedia they encourage donations, but as best as I can see it's still available to you free if you choose not to donate.

VPN required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You can change over easily, on Amazon site go to manage content & devices>preferences, should be a region setting there.

I haven't bothered switching back yet, still get updates for the apps installed from the UK store.

I don't use prime video though so be careful with that, but I can't watch the free IMDb stuff the US gets so my p.video is still probably set to UK.
    I haven't asked them to change it, never got round to it.

You could try this version first
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nbcuniversal-media-llc/nbc-sports-android-tv/nbc-sports-android-tv-1-0-2008261245-release/nbc-sports-android-tv-1-0-2008261245-android-apk-download/#file

This is something I have struggled with as I must get my UK apps from Tanya's filelinked. Can I switch my account to UK, download the uK apps and and switch back to US and those apps will stay updated even though they no longer exist in my appstore?

TheDriver wrote: »
    This is something I have struggled with as I must get my UK apps from Tanya's filelinked. Can I switch my account to UK, download the uK apps and and switch back to US and those apps will stay updated even though they no longer exist in my appstore?

I've had similar issues with this. The process has been described in this thread and in lots of places online and seems very simple. But I'm puzzled why it didn't work for me for some reason.

Followed the instructions to switch to amazon US via the UK website. Got the warning message about not being able to make purchases from the UK store if I proceeded with the change to the US store. I accepted that.

But it still geoblocked the US only apps. They were not visible in the search from firestick homepage and I even tried them via the amazon.com website and again it was indicating that they were not available due to geographic restrictions.

Did all this via a VPN as well, but it was no good.

Rebooted firestick, but it still had me linked to the UK store in some way.

I have an Amazon Echo and a Dot (Alexa) and I wonder is that anchoring me to the UK store and preventing the switch to the US.

My guess is that apps will only update from the store you are currently linked to. If that is the case then you are looking at changing back and forth between stores to get updates. Sideloading is inconvenient, but filelinked takes the pain out of it.

Main reason I was interested in changing store was to access an app when I could not find a compatible working firestick apk.

Coming to the conclusion that if you don't have or want Prime, the best firestick set up is one where you register it to a dedicated email address and UK address from the outset.

That then gives you access to the UK only apps (and their updates) through the Amazon app store. It also allows voice control from the remote. as the UK apps will be recongnised as part of the account (since they are not sideloaded).

Sideload as normal then for RTE player, VM, TG4, US apps and any third party apps.

TheDriver wrote: »

Definitely worked one way for me, I went from UK to US, didn't bother switching back & was still getting updates for the UK ones.
    I don't know if there's a time limit on switching etc.

But i took a free trial of prime on UK the other night & it's switched me back to UK it seems. The launcher for UK is different no free or live tabs. Will see if the US apps still update now this way.

I've had similar issues with this. The process has been described in this thread and in lots of places online and seems very simple. But I'm puzzled why it didn't work for me for some reason.

Followed the instructions to switch to amazon US via the UK website. Got the warning message about not being able to make purchases from the UK store if I proceeded with the change to the US store. I accepted that.

But it still geoblocked the US only apps. They were not visible in the search from firestick homepage and I even tried them via the amazon.com website and again it was indicating that they were not available due to geographic restrictions.

Did all this via a VPN as well, but it was no good.

Rebooted firestick, but it still had me linked to the UK store in some way.

I have an Amazon Echo and a Dot (Alexa) and I wonder is that anchoring me to the UK store and preventing the switch to the US.

My guess is that apps will only update from the store you are currently linked to. If that is the case then you are looking at changing back and forth between stores to get updates. Sideloading is inconvenient, but filelinked takes the pain out of it.

Main reason I was interested in changing store was to access an app when I could not find a compatible working firestick apk.

Maybe try without the VPN, could be blocking it someway.

What shows up when you login to amazon.com?
    This should now be your default store. Where you can manage content & devices that won't show on UK anymore if it worked right.

You should see all the apps, then can add them to your firestick stick from there.
    Then on the fstick sync content

No they update if they're on the stick.
    Did you try the androidtv version I linked earlier?

• Advertisement

Maybe try without the VPN, could be blocking it someway.

What shows up when you login to amazon.com?
    This should now be your default store. Where you can manage content & devices that won't show on UK anymore if it worked right.

You should see all the apps, then can add them to your firestick stick from there.
    Then on the fstick sync content

No they update if they're on the stick.
    Did you try the androidtv version I linked earlier?

I will give it another go - but I don't think it transferred over as it still says that I'm "Rep of Ireland" under manage content and devices.

I tried that android tv version of NBC Sports you mentioned. Had to get it from another site in the end ,as downloader was failing to download it from the link you gave.

App seems to be a bit fiddly. I read somewhere that you may need to open the app before you turn on the VPN. It's working at the moment anyway. Thanks

Advertisement