Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

none if that is relevant though. the man mandated for masks on federal land and broke those rules a few hours later.

but lets bend over backwards not to criticise him.

"And I will rebuild public trust" from your linked article. how does breaking your new law build public trust?

brendan said it about about why we care so much. i dont really know TBH and mulled it over. our lives are impacted virtually zilch regardless of who the US president is.
    maybe its just an interest, like you would be interested in soccer or rugby.

The man's in the job a week and we are already at Dijon mustard and tan suit levels of outrage from the Trump zealots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

The man's in the job a week and we are already at Dijon mustard and tan suit levels of outrage from the Trump zealots :pac:

haha- i know - give the man a chance - i mean he signed 25 executive orders his first day of office and alot of these were concerning COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any Biden anti vaxx tweets or statements? Any Biden 'just a flu' tweets or statements? Any Biden 'Virus won't come to the US', 'Sunshine will kill it', Inject disinfectant' tweets or statements?

Now, here is an article that Biden wrote last January. Read it and inform yourself about Biden and Covid-19.

Are posters going to keep referring to Trump to every single hint of criticism of Biden?

none if that is relevant though. the man mandated for masks on federal land and broke those rules a few hours later.

but lets bend over backwards not to criticise him.

"And I will rebuild public trust" from your linked article. how does breaking your new law build public trust?

brendan said it about about why we care so much. i dont really know TBH and mulled it over. our lives are impacted virtually zilch regardless of who the US president is.
    maybe its just an interest, like you would be interested in soccer or rugby.

The Democrats/Biden is like a cult now in Ireland.

there were a few more, but these are the 1st few rebuttals.

i've got 2 issues.

the flouting of his own law. doesnt set a great example. do as i say, not as i do.

the media completely ignoring this. you all know that if a prior president did this they would be pilloried in the media.

but sher its grand. it was a celebration.

First I've seen of her. Amateur hour there. No adequate response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Are posters going to keep referring to Trump to every single hint of criticism of Biden?

Well, considering he's only out of office for a matter of days then he remains an excellent comparative metric. So far, by comparison, criticism of Biden has been pathetically childish. Ludicrous in fact. When Biden becomes as bad a president or worse a president as Trump, I can assure you that I will be very critical of him. Until then, even if he took a slash on the front door of the White House, he's an excellent president compared to the most recent incumbent, Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes. Great isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Must be strange for you to see a Press Secretary not just going on the attack. Spicer, Sanders and McEnaney definitely changed the purpose and function of that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Absolutely not, but Biden is only in office 6 days, much and all as we try, it is going to take some time to wipe out the memory of the last guy so he doesn't immediately come to mind. Look at Fox, they're still talking about Hillary over 4 years after she lost in 2016.

And, given that Trump held the same office as Biden, it will always be relevant to compare how the 2 most recent Presidents reacted or behaved in relation to a particular topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well she has already given two press briefings, so that's two more than one of Trump's who did zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Biden is going to be held to a high standard and everything he does is going to be paid close attention by people waiting to pounce on even the smallest mistake. I think not wearing a mask just after mandating masks ranks higher than dijon mustard and tan suits but considerably lower than high treason. Still, it was a screw-up.

When the criticism of Biden is deserved then I have no issue with it and will criticise him myself.

The "criticism" so far is pathetic and up there with obama's dijon mustard and tan suit "scandals".

You would prefer she just told a bunch of lies like previous ones we have seen over the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You're too eager.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,808 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tell me more.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1352063110404837379?s=20

Amateur hour because she didn't use her first briefing to charge into the room, make pointed directives on what the media is supposed to be reporting on for them about crowd sizes before storming off and not answering a single question? I guess I just don't understand to what standard of professionalism you are comparing Psaki's 'amateur hour' to - who is your standard-bearer? I would love to hear your completely in good faith argument for why Psaki was found wanting by you. I will await that with the same face Psaki has on in the thumbnail...

Overheal wrote: »
    Tell me more.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1352063110404837379?s=20

Amateur hour because she didn't use her first briefing to charge into the room, make pointed directives on what the media is supposed to be reporting on for them about crowd sizes before storming off and not answering a single question? I guess I just don't understand to what standard of professionalism you are comparing Psaki's 'amateur hour' to - who is your standard-bearer? I would love to hear your completely in good faith argument for why Psaki was found wanting by you. I will await that with the same face Psaki has on in the thumbnail...

No amateur hour because of her response. That's it.

Perhaps a thread on the Trump years needs to be created where people can say how much they hated Trump.

Perhaps a thread on the Trump years needs to be created where people can say how much they hated Trump.

And again we see your blatant double standards at play.

Please link to ANY post of yours that slates any of the Trump press mouths for their responses, or are you going to claim they never gave any bad responses?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

What precisely is amateur about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Peter Doocy son of Steve Doocy at FOX getting mic dropped

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1354149156001034240

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Peter Doocy son of Steve Doocy at FOX getting mic dropped

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1354149156001034240

You'd think if there were any truth in that tedious conspiracy of cognitive decline, a politician famed for zingers and snark wouldn't have played that instance so effortlessly. I don't necessarily admire that kind of approach anyway, but respect the ability to think on the fly all the same. We've all had those occasions when the perfect comeback pops into our head hours later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pixelburp wrote: »
    You'd think if there were any truth in that tedious conspiracy of cognitive decline, a politician famed for zingers and snark wouldn't have played that instance so effortlessly. I don't necessarily admire that kind of approach anyway, but respect the ability to think on the fly all the same. We've all had those occasions when the perfect comeback pops into our head hours later :D

Especially as it seems to be an ongoing joke from Biden aimed at Doocy when he shouts questions at him when they aren't supposed to.

Back in August he also answered back 'you' when asked about the VP pick.

https://twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/status/1292143591993872384?s=20

This is a Biden thread.

I don't wish to derail the thread with stuff about Trump.

As I said, it's probably best that a Trump Years thread is created so people can keep talking about him.

Another cop out reply as usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've deleted several posts. Enough of the petty sniping and bickering please. Constructive posts only please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭interlocked

You can call McCain a warmonger all you want, he was a brave man, but listen to Joe Biden at his funeral: that mutual respect is gone today. When you see the GOP party in Arizona try and deselect his widow, then America is really in a bad place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can call McCain a warmonger all you want, he was a brave man, but listen to Joe Biden at his funeral: that mutual respect is gone today. When you see the GOP party in Arizona try and deselect his widow, then America is really in a bad place.

I completely agree. Someone will be along shortly to tell you they should both be indicted for war crimes though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Brian? wrote: »
    I completely agree. Someone will be along shortly to tell you they should both be indicted for war crimes though.

I feel like it shouldn't be utopian to expect that US administrations are held to account by the law.

One can have empathy for the people in the position they're in - probably the hardest job in the world, and to understand that there are levels of culpability and wrongdoing that set some administrations on very different levels to others, while still holding some kind of absolute sense of morality that condemns murder, arming brutal dictators and wholesale attacks on civil liberties, among other crimes.

There's a spectrum of belief systems that goes from fully hierarchical to fully principled, and while conservatives tend to be the former, and progressive people are generally more the latter, they're still human and still subject to the same need to defend the indefensible when it's their own side doing it.

I think it's fair to say the the US would be a much, much better country if each of the living former presidents, possibly with the exception of Jimmy Carter (although he may have his own issues that I'm not familiar with), were tried for the crimes they committed while in office, and spent much of the remainder of their lives in jail. You couldn't have had the naked criminality of Trump in a country that had any capacity to hold the executive to account. Trump is the direct result of that impunity.

There are certainly bad faith efforts to either ignore the crimes of Republicans (or Tories, or what have you), or to equivocate them when there can be no equivocation, either because of intent (Obama's misguided neo-liberal, security-focused patriotism, vs Trump's malicious and selfish criminality), or because of effect (Bush's destruction of the post cold-war period of peace, and the wave of death and human suffering that came in its wake is perhaps the worst thing any major world leader has caused since Mao's famine in China), and its fine not to engage with people who do that, but in a good faith argument, the crimes of the "good guys" shouldn't be ignored or minimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you get to become a leader of a major country, you do have decisions that decide who lives and dies. Absolutely no excuse for outright criminal behaviour but it's part of the gig, making ethical decisions, when you take it on.

I'm becoming more convinced that had Trump played the game, acted "presidential" , tweeted less and was generally more polite, he would have been re elected.

From reading on Trump, it's rare that his policies are ever mentioned. His outbursts, his rudeness, his disrespect for the opposition and the media, not having a dog etc are stuff that keeps coming up time and time again.

All a US president has to do is wear a nice suit, mention God a lot, get pictured in front of lots of US flags, own a dog and most importantly remain polite and courteous.

Dredging up a nice speech at a funeral of a so called opponent just confirms this weird version of what a U.S. President should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm becoming more convinced that had Trump played the game, acted "presidential" , tweeted less and was generally more polite, he would have been re elected.

It's quite a bit worse than that.

If he had done the bare minmium in handling covid he would've almost certainly been reelected. That's literally all he had to do.

All the other stuff would've been ignored. The fact that he was a fascist and a criminal barely moved the needle for his followers and the vast bulk of the Republican party base.

Most executives and governments had a bump in popularity from Covid; even Italy, where it was a total disaster from the get go. If Trump had done basic stuff around messaging, mask-wearing, avoided holding mass infection events, not peddling conspiracy theories or pushing snake oil, he would've walked the election.

From a political standpoint, Covid was a gift to Trump. What he showed is that there really is a difference between being utterly incompetent and not being utterly incompetent, and there are limits to what even the American public will accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

From reading on Trump, it's rare that his policies are ever mentioned. His outbursts, his rudeness, his disrespect for the opposition and the media, not having a dog etc are stuff that keeps coming up time and time again.

All a US president has to do is wear a nice suit, mention God a lot, get pictured in front of lots of US flags, own a dog and most importantly remain polite and courteous.

Dredging up a nice speech at a funeral of a so called opponent just confirms this weird version of what a U.S. President should be.

If trump had have kept shtum on anything to do with mail in ballots Im convinced he would have had it in the bag. I think thats what really did him in.

Advertisement