Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm not wrong. American attitudes to the virus is clearly catastrophic.

On this we agree
    Hugging grandchildren

Are they part of his bubble? Its a simple question.
    so publicly as well as the large and unnecessary gathering for the inauguration itself, with hundreds flying in from everywhere, indicates to me, that Americans don't really give a toss about the virus.

I don't recall this kind of outrage from you when trump held his rallies! Did you actually watch the inauguration? Socially distanced seating and a very small crowd.
    Wear masks is the solution. And that's it.

Again, no argument from me, tou seem to have missed the inauguration and seeing that the vast majority wore masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

[/B]

they could have a virtual one. I think its because they never even though of it to be honest.

It's been referred to a few times by Leo and then Martin.

There will be time for a memorial once the pandemic is over. No resources of the state should be going towards a memorial service or anything similar.

Americans obviously take a different view.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It can be two things you know. Yes it was a publicity stunt - that much is obvious - but it was also a very public declaration that against the previous admin, which never actually acknowledged the suffering of its citizens, the Biden would actually take the pandemic seriously and understood the terrible milestone passed. And against the later news that Trump had NO ACTUAL plan for distributing the vaccines, or even the stockpiles they claimed to have, there needed to be a clear message sent that the new boss gave a shít. Yes it's glib and cheesy but also important at the same time, even if nominally superficial.

Having the inauguration and holding grandchildren undermines that message that he's taking the pandemic seriously.

On this we agree

Are they part of his bubble? Its a simple question.

I don't recall this kind of outrage from you when trump held his rallies! Did you actually watch the inauguration? Socially distanced seating and a very small crowd.

Again, no argument from me, tou seem to have missed the inauguration and seeing that the vast majority wore masks.

Regarding outrage over Trump, his rallies were mad and irresponsible.

We are now onto Biden and his failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What failures?

Are Bidens grandchildren part of his bubble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

What failures?

Are Bidens grandchildren part of his bubble?

he hasnt even had any time to have any failures LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having the inauguration and holding grandchildren undermines that message that he's taking the pandemic seriously.

And to repeat the point again, do we know the grandkids are not part of a social bubble? It's literally an approved pandemic practise. It only undermines the messages if it's flouting their own ruleset. So. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Feel free to start such a thread, but that's not what the heading of this one says.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No it doesn’t.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 82,032 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why, because he hasn't been vaccinated yet? Oh, wait.

800.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,437 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

pixelburp wrote: »
    And to repeat the point again, do we know the grandkids are not part of a social bubble? It's literally an approved pandemic practise. It only undermines the messages if it's flouting their own ruleset. So. Is it?

social bubble is irrelevant:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-protecting-the-federal-workforce-and-requiring-mask-wearing/

"and other individuals in Federal buildings and on Federal lands should all wear masks, maintain physical distance"

rs_1200x1200-210120194549-1200-biden-family-inauguration-joe-biden-kamala-harris-2021.ls.jpg?fit=around%7C1200:1200&output-quality=90&crop=1200:1200;center,top

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/20/executive-order-protecting-the-federal-workforce-and-requiring-mask-wearing/

"and other individuals in Federal buildings and on Federal lands should all wear masks, maintain physical distance"

rs_1200x1200-210120194549-1200-biden-family-inauguration-joe-biden-kamala-harris-2021.ls.jpg?fit=around%7C1200:1200&output-quality=90&crop=1200:1200;center,top

How many of them have been vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,437 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

duploelabs wrote: »

i presume all, but i don't see an exemption if you have been vaccinated.

happy to eat humble pie if such an exemption exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Would the younger people really be vaccinated already in the US? Surely people must be up in arms if basically kids are getting vaccinated because they are related to politicians? Spanish General had to resign this week as he skipped ahead in the queue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Would the younger people really be vaccinated already in the US? Surely people must be up in arms if basically kids are getting vaccinated because they are related to politicians? Spanish General had to resign this week as he skipped ahead in the queue

There has been some conflict in Congress on the matter. Gabbard called other young Congressfolk to task for getting shots 'ahead of turn.' The two counter-arguments were that they were providing an example to others, and that there is merit to protection of civilian leadership of government.

But, no, by and large, the only young folk getting vaccinated are doing so because they're in positions which require it for work, mainly medics. We haven't yet gotten to all the firefighters (who are also often medics), police and military, although certainly a number of all three of these categories have started to receive shots. (I know some in all three who have, and some who have not). There are also certain medical conditions which will allow young people to get shots right now.

This Biden thing is a fairly stupid debate, though (Even if the jury is still out on whether a vaccinated person can still transmit the virus without succumbing to it). I was having a chat with my dad in Dublin today, discussing the restrictions in Ireland vs here. There has never been a 'physical distance' restriction here in the US like the 5km limit in Ireland right now. We figure that what's important is the number of people with whom you have contact, not how far you travel to get to them. Generally speaking, we have started to create 'bubbles' of trusted family and friends, you don't go outside of that bubble. If one presumes the Bidens are reasonably careful people, the risk of exposure in that small family gathering is pretty small.

This is absolutely a different kettle of fish to the more eye-catching scandals like the mayor of Austin telling folks to not travel for Thanksgiving (when he was on vacation in Mexico) or the Mayor of San Francisco and Governor of California both caught having 'large group' dinners at the same restaurant on successive days.

when was that photo taken dude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Right so you're taking a photo at face value without any pertinent information available and thus jumping to conclusions

we dont even know when the photo was taken.

ps its apparent to every intelligent person without an agenda that Biden is taking it seriously - listen to his speeches, look at his policies, he is wearing his mask.

Right so you're taking a photo at face value without any pertinent information available and thus jumping to conclusions

yup because it sits the posters agenda. #annoying - no point in engaging

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not wrong. American attitudes to the virus is clearly catastrophic.

Hugging grandchildren so publicly as well as the large and unnecessary gathering for the inauguration itself, with hundreds flying in from everywhere, indicates to me, that Americans don't really give a toss about the virus.

Wear masks is the solution. And that's it.
    I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you didn't actually watch the inauguration then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The president was vaccinated which seems a good thing to do given the position he holds. Everyone at the inauguration were tested prior to being allowed to attend according to ABC news and given his family were there in attendance, it’s a good chance they were negative. Also, there’s more than one picture of the family being together around the election and beyond so it’s clear they’re some kid of bubble.

I can’t believe one poster in particular(not you because you seem to be willing to admit if your wrong) is making an issue out of this perceived flaunting of the rules yet seems okay with joe Bidens immediate predecessor openly flaunting the rules intended to protect him and others.

The Biden administration is going to get criticism and hopefully will be pulled up on things that warrant it but this inauguration rubbish is not it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The president was vaccinated which seems a good thing to do given the position he holds. Everyone at the inauguration were tested prior to being allowed to attend according to ABC news and given his family were there in attendance, it’s a good chance they were negative. Also, there’s more than one picture of the family being together around the election and beyond so it’s clear they’re some kid of bubble.

I can’t believe one poster in particular(not you because you seem to be willing to admit if your wrong) is making an issue out of this perceived flaunting of the rules yet seems okay with joe Bidens immediate predecessor openly flaunting the rules intended to protect him and others.

The Biden administration is going to get criticism and hopefully will be pulled up on things that warrant it but this inauguration rubbish is not it.

100%

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you didn't actually watch the inauguration then?

Parts of it yes. Hard to miss and I seen hundreds, if not thousands of people meeting up for an unnecessary event.

Such a thing in Ireland would lead to controversy but not so in America.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Trump's behaviour during the pandemic was disgraceful. I've already said that.

We are now onto Biden. Trump is over.

If you feel the large gathering was grand and it's fine for people to hug their grandchildren, that's your view. I've taken the pandemic more seriously than that.

I've seen the behaviour of politicians in Capitol Hill as well, huddled around chatting. There's clearly an issue there with covid attitudes.

Parts of it yes. Hard to miss and I seen hundreds, if not thousands of people meeting up for an unnecessary event.

Such a thing in Ireland would lead to controversy but not so in America.
    I think you're confusing flags with people.

and whats the obsession with applying US politics to Ireland. Diff't countries. Apples and Oranges. Its fine to compare/contrast and analyse US politics as to Ireland but people seem to be actually applying it to Ireland - doesnt make sense.

and whats the obsession with applying US politics to Ireland. Diff't countries. Apples and Oranges. Its fine to compare/contrast and analyse US politics as to Ireland but people seem to be actually applying it to Ireland - doesnt make sense.

Surely Irish people would apply Irish/European norms to analysis of US politics?

Past presidents and their wives, singers etc all flown in for an event which could have been done with just a handful of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Past presidents and their wives, singers etc all flown in for an event which could have been done with just a handful of people.

How many people, in your estimation were at the inauguration?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

You think that's "hundreds, if not thousands of people"?

Advertisement