Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

tara2k wrote: »
    Every US politician fakes it. Biden is a master of his trade by now.

He won't run in 2024. It'll be Harris, I suspect.

No reason he won't go again in 2024, he won against trump by a landslide already, he may have the chance to do it again and really rub it in. He's also fitter and more mentally able than trump, who seems to be getting more and more deranged by the day (and if he didn't look after himself in the white house, he's going to really be piling it on away from there).

astrofool wrote: »
    No reason he won't go again in 2024, he won against trump by a landslide already, he may have the chance to do it again and really rub it in. He's also fitter and more mentally able than trump, who seems to be getting more and more deranged by the day (and if he didn't look after himself in the white house, he's going to really be piling it on away from there).

I really don't see him doing a second run given his age. And in a way, not running again gives him a lot more freedom in the sense he's not gonna have to fight an election towards the end of his term.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I suspect he won’t run in 2024. Harris is already far more prominent than a VP generally is. Every major announcement includes a speech from her.

Not a bad strategy to set her up for a run in 2024.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Brian? wrote: »
    I suspect he won’t run in 2024. Harris is already far more prominent than a VP generally is. Every major announcement includes a speech from her.

Not a bad strategy to set her up for a run in 2024.

I think 2022 midterms are a big event that they should not take their eyes off. Stacey Abrams is likely running for Governor then also. They should support her with everything they can to ensure she is a continued positive story and influence in 2024.

That aside, if I was chief strategist for the DNC, I would keep Harris front and centre, get all the heavy lifting out of the way hopefully in the first 12-18 months with hopefully positive stories to lead in to those mid-terms, and then hopefully Dems retain control and maybe have Biden resign to give Harris 18 months to show she can do the job ahead of 2024 when she will be up against either Pence or Halley.

Of course, if the next 5 years are anything like the last 5, Paris Hilton might be President in January 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I think 2022 midterms are a big event that they should not take their eyes off. Stacey Abrams is likely running for Governor then also. They should support her with everything they can to ensure she is a continued positive story and influence in 2024.

That aside, if I was chief strategist for the DNC, I would keep Harris front and centre, get all the heavy lifting out of the way hopefully in the first 12-18 months with hopefully positive stories to lead in to those mid-terms, and then hopefully Dems retain control and maybe have Biden resign to give Harris 18 months to show she can do the job ahead of 2024 when she will be up against either Pence or Halley.

Of course, if the next 5 years are anything like the last 5, Paris Hilton might be President in January 2025.

i disagree. i dont think there is any chance the DNC run KH in the next election.

far too much of her past is up for debate. laughing at smoking weed while at the same time prosecuting people for the same crime?

americans for the most part, are more clued in.

no idea who the next democratic nominee is.

• Advertisement

i disagree. i dont think there is any chance the DNC run KH in the next election.

far too much of her past is up for debate. laughing at smoking weed while at the same time prosecuting people for the same crime?

americans for the most part, are more clued in.

no idea who the next democratic nominee is.

Some guy who had been accused of several sex crimes, had seen several businesses fail and bragged about grabbing women by their genitalia ran in 2016 and actually won. He had also advocated that people who turned out to be innocent get the death penalty. He then only paid $750 in taxes in some years while he was President, wanted police to use violence, mismanaged a global pandemic, was impeached and still got 74M to vote for him.

But someone smoking weed will be enough to exclude them? Different standards for some eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think a lot of people are basing the idea of Joe running again in 2024 as plausible are taking Trump as his 2024 opponent as a given. I do not think Trump will be back for 2024 , no idea who they’d pick but if the GOP can get somebody the public like, it could be a much harder battle that Joe just doesn’t want to face or his advisors don’t see as a win.

KH running in 2024 is 50/50, a weak GOP candidate and she would be mad not to try take the throne , but it would have to be a weak offering, I think Trump would beat KH but I think she’d beat the likes of Marco Rubio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

and still got 64M to vote for him.
    I know you still can't believe that 64 million people actually voted for him.

But, it's worse than you think. It was actually 74 million.

No reason he won't go again in 2024, he won against trump by a landslide already, he may have the chance to do it again and really rub it in.

He didn't win by a landslide. Trump polled very well, better than he did against Hillary. He gained support among minorities, for example.
    I do not think Trump will be back for 2024 , no idea who they’d pick but if the GOP can get somebody the public like, it could be a much harder battle that Joe just doesn’t want to face or his advisors don’t see as a win.

I can't see Trump running in 2024. That being said, he is adored by tens of millions of voters, and the GOP need to harness that 'Trump factor', when the election comes. If Trump endorses their candidate, that is going to result in a huge volume of votes. I'm amazed by the passion that people have for Trump. I thought that it'd dissipate once Biden took office, but it's as strong as it have ever been now. It's bordering on a cult at this point.
    KH running in 2024 is 50/50, a weak GOP candidate and she would be mad not to try take the throne , but it would have to be a weak offering, I think Trump would beat KH but I think she’d beat the likes of Marco Rubio.

What is your idea of a weak candidate? Trump would beat her hands down. I see Hillary when I look at her. Her background in Hinduism wouldn't sit well with people. Think Mitt Romney v Obama, and his background in Mormonism. The Evangelicals wouldn't vote for because he was LDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He didn't win by a landslide. Trump polled very well, better than he did against Hillary. He gained support among minorities, for example.

I can't see Trump running in 2024. That being said, he is adored by tens of millions of voters, and the GOP need to harness that 'Trump factor', when the election comes. If Trump endorses their candidate, that is going to result in a huge volume of votes. I'm amazed by the passion that people have for Trump. I thought that it'd dissipate once Biden took office, but it's as strong as it have ever been now. It's bordering on a cult at this point.

What is your idea of a weak candidate? Trump would beat her hands down. I see Hillary when I look at her. Her background in Hinduism wouldn't sit well with people. Think Mitt Romney v Obama, and his background in Mormonism. The Evangelicals wouldn't vote for because he was LDS.

He got the same number of EC votes as Trump got (and also a lot more in the popular vote) Trump constantly said that his win over Clinton was a landslide, so going by that Biden also won by a landslide right?

• Advertisement

He got the same number of EC votes as Trump got (and also a lot more in the popular vote) Trump constantly said that his win over Clinton was a landslide, so going by that Biden also won by a landslide right?

Trump doesn't define what is and isn't a landslide. Roosevelt v Landon was a landslide. Trump beat Hillary, and Biden beat Trump. There was no landslide. Doubt we'll see a landslide victory for a long time given the way politics is split in the US.

Trump doesn't define what is and isn't a landslide. Roosevelt v Landon was a landslide. Trump beat Hillary, and Biden beat Trump. There was no landslide. Doubt we'll see a landslide victory for a long time given the way politics is split in the US.

Hey if you have an issue with what is/isn't a "landslide" then go take it up with the man who claimed he won by a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harris is a terrible candidate. Utterly lacking in substance and sincerity, with a very troublesome past as a DA. She failed completely in her own state in the primaries, let alone anywhere else.

Harris is a terrible candidate. Utterly lacking in substance and sincerity, with a very troublesome past as a DA. She failed completely in her own state in the primaries, let alone anywhere else.

Degree in Political Science/Economics
    Degree in Law
    Former District Attorney
    Former US Senator
    Current Vice-President

You might not like her, but she's far from a terrible candidate. Compare the above with Trumps record in 2016, and he won.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure what it says about the new admin that it's barely a month sworn in and people are already wondering 4 years down the track. It's a bit daft to be honest. I had thought Biden was too old, but then I hadn't realised he was one of those older folk whose overall fitness regime puts the rest of us to shame - so what do I know? Heck, David Attenborough is still producing documentaries in his 90s so age kinda is just a number here.

Maybe it's simply that in the absence of any real drama, either presidential or legislative, we're scrambling to find SOMETHING to talk about this new administration. After 4 years of prideful ignorance and vulgarity, the sobriety of purpose can be jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The more you read on the resume of the different people being moved into key positions, you see how radically different it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Degree in Political Science/Economics
    Degree in Law
    Former District Attorney
    Former US Senator
    Current Vice-President

You might not like her, but she's far from a terrible candidate. Compare the above with Trumps record in 2016, and he won.

She dropped out incredibly early in her presidential-campaign for a reason she was failing and couldn't face the humiliation of losing her in her home state.

Their was no proof in the primary or the actual campaign that she had any sort of a base that any generic Dem could have earned.

People can like her politics etc, but their is little proof that she has the IT factor to win a nationwide election.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Harris didn't poll very well in the 2020 primaries. I believe Trump would have beaten her should she have got the nomination. It does worry me that she may be seen as the automatic choice for 2024 which may not be the best strategy for the Democrats.

Then again, there is a PAC fundraising at the minute to find primary challengers to Joe Manchin in West Virginia for the 2024 Senate election, so the old Democrat policy of prioritising having tick the box candidates instead of actually trying to win elections may be too much to discard.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    She dropped out incredibly early in her presidential-campaign for a reason she was failing and couldn't face the humiliation of losing her in her home state.

Their was no proof in the primary or the actual campaign that she had any sort of a base that any generic Dem could have earned.

People can like her politics etc, but their is little proof that she has the IT factor to win a nationwide election.
    marno21 wrote: »
    Harris didn't poll very well in the 2020 primaries. I believe Trump would have beaten her should she have got the nomination. It does worry me that she may be seen as the automatic choice for 2024 which may not be the best strategy for the Democrats.

Then again, there is a PAC fundraising at the minute to find primary challengers to Joe Manchin in West Virginia for the 2024 Senate election, so the old Democrat policy of prioritising having tick the box candidates instead of actually trying to win elections may be too much to discard.

In my initial point on Harris, I suggested how the path might be prepared for her in 2024. I don't think there is any logic to considering how she might do then, based on how she did in 2016 without considering the job she currently has.

Of course, if she underperforms in this job, or has some experiences which gives her bad press, then this will of course influence things and if so, I suspect the Dems would prefer to be going with Joe as the candidate in 2024 rather than someone knew. If Harris and Biden are in any way capable of competing in 2024, selecting an alternative candidate for the Dems would I think give campaign material to their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Biden will be fine.

American politicians are insanely old and many of those are in much worse shape than Biden, Grassley, Feinstein, Mitch etc.

I think if any health issues, he will slow it down but he is in ok shape for someone of his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

They've put her on the cover of vogue. She's VP but she's also getting the attention that would usually go to the first lady. They way things are going for her she'll be the logical choice from the Dems perspective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You don’t think 4 years as Veep will sort that out? She’s a very capable and intelligent woman who should have mass appeal to the centre.

Unfortunately capability and intelligence aren’t what a lot of people are looking for.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'd actually say Harris has become more recognisable and liked since she got nominated as VP. So I would say she's pretty viable for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sad reality of america at the moment is that pretty much the only way there'll be a female president is if both parties run a female candidate.

Man vs Woman is pretty much guaranteed to pick up all of the rust belt

Sad reality of america at the moment is that pretty much the only way there'll be a female president is if both parties run a female candidate.

20 years ago no one thought there would be a black president.

10 years ago no one thought there would be a woman VP

Give it time, America is learning to walk, these are the baby steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Which is why I think Nikki Haley won't be running in the near future, a female candidate might be fine for the democrats however I can't see her defeating any male candidate in the republican primaries

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd actually say Harris has become more recognisable and liked since she got nominated as VP. So I would say she's pretty viable for 2024.

She may very well be the best placed candidate in 3 years time , especially if she makes a good job of the VP role. , but the important thing for the Democrats is that when the time comes that they pick the candidate that is most likely to win and not just default to Harris because it's "her turn".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    She may very well be the best placed candidate in 3 years time , especially if she makes a good job of the VP role. , but the important thing for the Democrats is that when the time comes that they pick the candidate that is most likely to win and not just default to Harris because it's "her turn".

That was their mistake with Hillary, one they hopefully learned from.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Brian? wrote: »
    You don’t think 4 years as Veep will sort that out? She’s a very capable and intelligent woman who should have mass appeal to the centre.

Unfortunately capability and intelligence aren’t what a lot of people are looking for.

I would say her demeanor of finger wagging, sarcastically nodding and general condesending cruel tone she displayed towards people for years in public hearings aren't things which appeal to people either.

She jumped ship before her home state California in the primaries to avoid embarrassment. There is no doubt she's intelligent, that doesn't mean someone is likeable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I would say her demeanor of finger wagging, sarcastically nodding and general condesending cruel tone she displayed towards people for years in public hearings aren't things which appeal to people either.

She jumped ship before her home state California in the primaries to avoid embarrassment. There is no doubt she's intelligent, that doesn't mean someone is likeable though.

Tbf, you didn't care about her apparent "finger-wagging" until it became a talking point for the Trumpian masses.

Advertisement