Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-04-2020, 19:33   #46
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradobri View Post
Must have been a R18 GTL or GTS if it had central locking, we had a base TL at home and I remember being jealous of the higher spec 18,s with the fancy central locking with the red pin lol , they also had electric front windows and headlamps wipers !
TL was 1340cc , GTL/GTS were 1647cc, different head on GTS, American 2 was the big seller in the mid 80s,, 2 tone paint ,alloys and a decent Blaupunkt stereo.Big with farmers, very few jeeps at the time
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 19:58   #47
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomViewer View Post
Doorlocks and anti roll bushes were also issues, Diesels ate front brake pads every 15_20 k
Yes, i've fitted some amount of those outer ARB bushes... No amount of grease could stop them knocking. Used to be a lottery to see if the right rear brake shoes was going to turn up for them also.
Thanks from:
19-04-2020, 20:03   #48
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops! View Post
Yes, i've fitted some amount of those outer ARB bushes... No amount of grease could stop them knocking. Used to be a lottery to see if the right rear brake shoes was going to turn up for them also.
As far as I remember there were 3 possible types, you didn't know until you took the drums off which it was, Bendix ones used to drop the self adjuster . Open ended bushes off the R5 cured ARBt problem
19-04-2020, 20:07   #49
Oops!

Quote:
As far as I remember there were 3 possible types, you didn't know until you took the drums off which it was, Bendix ones used to drop the self adjuster . Open ended bushes off the R5 cured ARBt problem
Yes correct, you didn't know till the drum was off. There was another bush we used to use aswell, a small bit of a trim with a stanley knife and they did the job, Can't remember what the bush was from, almost 20 year ago now...
19-04-2020, 20:44   #50
kev1.3s

Quote:
Doorlocks and anti roll bushes were also issues, Diesels ate front brake pads every 15_20 k
Door locks were a pain in the ass when they stopped catching, you could slam and slam and they still wouldn't stay shut. I once had to drive back from wicklow town with my passenger holding the door closed.
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 20:56   #51
Rob Thomas

I was browsing the classic pages and this photo reminded me of the little cover for the radio - on the passenger seat here

(3) thanks from:
19-04-2020, 21:39   #52
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1.3s View Post
Door locks were a pain in the ass when they stopped catching, you could slam and slam and they still wouldn't stay shut. I once had to drive back from wicklow town with my passenger holding the door closed.
Little spring inside lost tension first frosty night, warranty covered them which was good as they were around £50 at the time (1990)
19-04-2020, 21:40   #53
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Thomas View Post
I was browsing the classic pages and this photo reminded me of the little cover for the radio - on the passenger seat here
Was that a security feature?
19-04-2020, 21:43   #54
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Was that a security feature?
I think the idea was if the theifcouldnt see the radio he wouldn't break in, I can see a major flaw in that he'd probably break in to see if it was worth nicking.
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 22:06   #55
Break80

I started with a new 92 Clio van. 1.9 diesel. It would pull a mountain but you could not park it with no power steering.
Then a new 94 1.4 Rsi 19. Metalic Green Grey interior. I remember it used cut out every morning going down a hill from my house and the boot had a leak from new. When I collected it from the showroom the back lens was cracked and had to be replaced. I convinced myself it was repaired in the back hence the leak.
From there to a new 00 1.6 megane auto. In the meantime my wife had a 95 Clio auto which she started to learn in.
From the megane she went to a new 03 1.8 Leguna auto. Kitted out to the last but very thirsty.
From there we went to a new 06 1.6 megane auto. Metalic gold with black leather. It lasted 18 months before the auto gave up the ghost one night with less than 39k on it. I got it repaired under warrenty but got rid of it as soon as it came back.
There ended my love affair with Renault.
In spite of all these adventures I always had a soft spot for the Renaults of that time.
They were a bit classier than the jap boxes but i suppose I didn,t keep them long enough to give me real grief.
20-04-2020, 16:16   #56
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break80 View Post
I started with a new 92 Clio van. 1.9 diesel. It would pull a mountain but you could not park it with no power steering.
Then a new 94 1.4 Rsi 19. Metalic Green Grey interior. I remember it used cut out every morning going down a hill from my house and the boot had a leak from new. When I collected it from the showroom the back lens was cracked and had to be replaced. I convinced myself it was repaired in the back hence the leak.
From there to a new 00 1.6 megane auto. In the meantime my wife had a 95 Clio auto which she started to learn in.
From the megane she went to a new 03 1.8 Leguna auto. Kitted out to the last but very thirsty.
From there we went to a new 06 1.6 megane auto. Metalic gold with black leather. It lasted 18 months before the auto gave up the ghost one night with less than 39k on it. I got it repaired under warrenty but got rid of it as soon as it came back.
There ended my love affair with Renault.
In spite of all these adventures I always had a soft spot for the Renaults of that time.
They were a bit classier than the jap boxes but i suppose I didn,t keep them long enough to give me real grief.
Renault had power steering as an option rather than standard for a long time, don't think the Clio got it as standard till mid 90 s,
20-04-2020, 17:40   #57
BrianD3

Quote:
1.7 were badged GTX, they hadthe4 bar rear axel, sold poorly here
Did you sell them, work in a dealership? I never saw a GTX or TXE here and never saw them mentioned in any brochure. E.g. no mention in the 1990 brochure in my first post in this thread.

I was rooting through some old newspapers trying to find ads especially any from 1995 or 1996 for the RTI or Baccara. Didn't find any. I seem to recall seeing ads in 1996 for the 19 1.4 which had standard ABS and rear disc brakes- a last gasp upgrade just before the Megane (with rear drums) came in? Have you any info on that?

I'll post some non 19 related stuff from my newspaper hoard in a while which may be of interest.
(2) thanks from:
20-04-2020, 17:53   #58
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Did you sell them, work in a dealership? I never saw a GTX or TXE here and never saw them mentioned in any brochure. E.g. no mention in the 1990 brochure in my first post in this thread.

I was rooting through some old newspapers trying to find ads especially any from 1995 or 1996 for the RTI or Baccara. Didn't find any. I seem to recall seeing ads in 1996 for the 19 1.4 which had standard ABS and rear disc brakes- a last gasp upgrade just before the Megane (with rear drums) came in? Have you any info on that?

I'll post some non 19 related stuff from my newspaper hoard in a while which may be of interest.
Worked in a dealership , we sold two 1.7 s in 1991, both saloons, both Caspian blue which is a green colour bizarrely, we never sold a second gen 1.7 or a 16 v of either series, 1.4 sold well diesels not so much, lots of overheating/ cracked heads, 1.9 diesel wasn't half the engine of the 1.6 d. The last model with the disk brakes and leather interior was called a Biarritz from memory, 1995 sales dried up as the megane came out the next year. There were UK versions that used the old 8 valve engine ,
Thanks from:
20-04-2020, 18:01   #59
BrianD3

Non 19 stuff

Renault scrappage ad January 1996

New car prices 15th Feb 1989
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New car prices Irish Times 15-02-89.jpg (1.26 MB, 1047 views)
File Type: jpg Scrappage ad Sunday Indo Jan 1996.jpg (417.1 KB, 232 views)
20-04-2020, 18:50   #60
mfceiling

Good thread lads.

Always had a soft spot for renaults.
First car was a 1.1 clio with a 4 speed gearbox!!
Sold it for a citroen ax gt which I kept for a month and needed the head gasket done so I got that done and lost all heart in it.

Went off and bought another clio. This time a mighty 1.2. They were a great little car. A miser on fuel and parts were cheap as chips.

When I came home from Australia in 2001 I bought a 96 megane. This time I moved up to a mighty 1.4!! To this day the father said he never sat in a car with more comfortable seats than that yoke. I drove it for ages and put serious miles on it and bar a battery and regularly servicing it never gave an ounce of trouble.

The young one will be learning to drive in a couple of years and I'd have no bother getting her a clio as a starter car.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion