Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault 19s - esp. phase 1 and TSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yep and undoing the painted bumpers and sourcing the original chrome trim which has also been painted will be a right paint in the hole. Pity the original number plates are gone too.

I'd also take the mileage with a pinch of salt, I know a previous owner who sold it with higher mileage.......;)

Worth checking the brake lines have been replaced also....

Number is familiar but can't place it, was it always black?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

My memory of black ph1 19s in Ireland is that they had beige interiors, not grey?

I see that car also has a"1.4 Energy" badge on the tailgate, Irish cars never had those which implies it has been imported. Yet the relatively low 1133 number and the old white number plates would imply that it was sold new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It won’t be passing an NCT with those plates anyway?

I've heard two different things about that, some say post 1991 and they can't be used others say post 1987.

I see a 1990 registered Carina II that's been using them these past 10 years and it has a valid NCT.

Number is familiar but can't place it, was it always black?
    The body was, not the bumpers :pac:

As regards it's import status, numbers on imports used to be low enough back in the day which could explain that.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    My memory of black ph1 19s in Ireland is that they had beige interiors, not grey?
    I've juct checked my Chamade launch brochure for Ireland and it has a grey velour interior, options list for TSE just states "velour trim" for the seating.

• Advertisement

I see the 19 was featured in Classic Car weekly last year

https://www.classiccarweekly.co.uk/buy-the-paper/2019/6/26/classic-car-weekly-26-june-2019
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic-car-weekly-uk/20190626/281719796119634

I'm amazed that CCW is still going, it seemed like an old giffer publication even in the 1990s. I well remember R19s when they were new (we owned a couple of them new), at around the same time CCW was full of features about P4 Rovers and Austin A30s. Suddenly, its 30 years later and there are articles about Renault 19s! Really drives home that life is quite short and the 1990s is a long time ago.

I see the 19 was featured in Classic Car weekly last year

https://www.classiccarweekly.co.uk/buy-the-paper/2019/6/26/classic-car-weekly-26-june-2019
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/classic-car-weekly-uk/20190626/281719796119634

I'm amazed that CCW is still going, it seemed like an old giffer publication even in the 1990s. I well remember R19s when they were new (we owned a couple of them new), at around the same time CCW was full of features about P4 Rovers and Austin A30s. Suddenly, its 30 years later and there are articles about Renault 19s! Really drives home that life is quite short and the 1990s is a long time ago.

I remember screwing the plates and mudflaps on them when they were new, doesn't seem that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-19/25157561
    Getting closer to its original asking price now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kev1.3s wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-19/25157561
    Getting closer to its original asking price now

Not close enough.

I know some here are not fans of Meganes but anyway - time warp example on Donedeal for 895 quid. When was the last time anyone saw a Megane Mk1 phase 1 on our roads.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/car/25517203

• Advertisement

I know some here are not fans of Meganes but anyway - time warp example on Donedeal for 895 quid. When was the last time anyone saw a Megane Mk1 phase 1 on our roads.

Seen a few Nordie ones the last few weeks,

I've spoken to someone who has actually viewed it on a lift. They're lovely pictures......

1989 Renault 19 TR with 22000 genuine miles...aparently.
    Looks fairly spotless. Strong money though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-19-tr-22-000-genuine-miles/25668907
    M2U5NWJhYjAzYzhiMDJmNTEyZjhiOGVhMGY0MTM2NGbyiwWJvrCeI1K_XyV0JV35aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQwNTU1ODV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That is so clean, I love it. Not at all crazy money imho, if the car is as good as it looks. Nice find, kaizersoze

unkel wrote: »
    That is so clean, I love it. Not at all crazy money imho, if the car is as good as it looks. Nice find, kaizersoze

You know...the more I look at it, the better value it looks!
    Note to self....stop looking at it!:D

Seen it last night myself, fantastic looking car.

And I have to admit I barely looked into this thread. The R19 is not on my favourites list at all, to put it mildly. But that car looks great. I guess what helps too is that it's a three door. Something you'd rarely see in modern hatchbacks unfortunately.

And wait a second. John in Kilkenny? Isn't that the Renault mechanic and Renault super fan who posts in this forum sometimes?

That is John from Kilkenny alright. All his cars seem to be very nice and he is fussy about what he buys :)

That 19 is a "poverty" spec model (plus higher spec wheels, bumpers and steering wheel) that was never sold in Ireland. Nerds will notice that there are no centre heating vents in the dash. There is something charming about the low spec IMO. The engine is the Cleon OHV 1.4 that can trace its design back to the early 1960s. Irish 19s had the more modern OHC Energy engine.

That's my friends car. I've told him he is mad selling it. It is genuinely as fresh as it looks and very very comfy. Hats off to Brian too for the sharp eye too with the upgrades spotted.

Here's a UK brochure from 1989 that includes the TR.

523226.jpg

523227.jpg

523228.jpg

523229.jpg

523230.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I may have posted these before - apologies if I did.

This is a pic of my phase 1 16v - I brought in from Wales in 95 ( I think )

Cracking car. It was a replacement for my 5GT Turbo and was a real step up in many respects. One thing that struck me was the speeds I was travelling at had to be stepped up considerably in the 19 to get the same thrill as I did in the 5 at much lower speeds.
    I had a huge tank slapper in it while showing off to my girlfriend on our way back from eehmm "christening" the new car, while really not travelling that fast ( wet ). It broke fast and hard with very little warning but I caught it. I put that down to odd rear tyres which I sorted, but I also spun it in Galway on a really wet day once, manage to hit nothing though. :o:o

I'd have either of these back in a heart beat now !

524192.jpg

524193.jpg

Love that 16v, do tmyou know where it is now?

Oh that R5! Gorgeous little number!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I sold that R5 to a chap in Carlow I think with 88k miles on it. I saw it a few years later in Rathmines - with 65k miles on it !

Sold the 19 to a chap from Dublin. Did the handover at the Phoenix park motor races back in the day. No idea where the it ended up.

The highest spec phase 1 1.4 was the TSE, I always thought these were very nice especially as a Chamade and in a nice metallic. They had the all important yellow foglights, velour armchairs, electric sunroof, dinky 13 inch Zenith alloys :cool:. I wonder do any survive.

Well, at least 1 5 door TSE in the launch colour survives. I'm making my mind up currently if it should be my next restoration project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I recently saw a Renault 19 lying up, complete car, Silver, N.I. reg
    Anyone want it ,I can go ask price

regards

I'd love the radio!

Don't need the rest. I've passed on the early TSE. I've already gone down the route of a restoration on one.

rugbyman wrote: »
    I recently saw a Renault 19 lying up, complete car, Silver, N.I. reg
    Anyone want it ,I can go ask price

regards

Me interested.........
    Year, model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Kaiser. just read this now. will go and ask. Its in Dundalk

regards

• Advertisement

I was just looking at howmanyleft,co.uk and checked the R19, R21 and R25 numbers. The decline in numbers seems to have slowed dramatically with numbers increasing slightly if anything. Maybe some pre SORN introduction cars have been uncovered. Have they come out of the banger phase/started to be recognised as "classics".

Or maybe people (temporarily) stopped scrapping their cars due to the pandemic :)

Q2 199 taxed, 855 SORN
    Q3 199 taxed, 860 SORN

Q2 69 taxed, 438 SORN
    Q3 65 taxed, 449 SORN

Q2 47 taxed, 217 SORN
    Q3 51 taxed, 216 SORN

They're reproducing!

Advertisement