Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would taking out seats help (not all seats by the way - some seats).

It might, but they do not have enough train sets to run the current service without running some four car sets. If they turned some of the trains at Dún Laoghaire, and perhaps run some trains as a Howth shuttle, it might solve some of the congestion.

However, they need to be able to reconfigure trains based on demand, swapping from 4 to 8 or the reverse, with passengers on board, as required. Also, the default arrangement should be four car, with departures flagged as eight car, so everyone knows what size train will arrive.

Unfortunately the stations are not laid out to facilitate easy changes - Howth Junction is perhaps the worst example.

Edit: What exactly is wrong with the 8200 Dart trains? Could they not be revamped to be brought up to the standard of 8500s?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Edit: What exactly is wrong with the 8200 Dart trains? Could they not be revamped to be brought up to the standard of 8500s?

apparently there was an issue over parts and support from the builder (it's what i've heard but i'm open to correction) i'm sure they could be made reliable if someone wanted to spend the money on them (perhapse during the 8100 refurbishment might have been a good time) or maybe it was considered and found to be to costly. it's unlikely they could be brought up to 8500 standards without completely gutting back to a shell though, which at that stage it would probably be more cost effective to buy new. they were built during a very very bad period in alsthom's history.
    the only possibilities i can see for them assuming they are in a condition that could allow any sort of a refurbishment at this stage. a similar project to the 230 over in the uk (will depend on whether the underframes could support the engine) and whether the basic electrics could even be refurbished. pulled by a loco is an idea that has been doing the rounds but i can't see it myself.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

apparently there was an issue over parts and support from the builder (it's what i've heard but i'm open to correction) i'm sure they could be made reliable if someone wanted to spend the money on them (perhapse during the 8100 refurbishment might have been a good time) or maybe it was considered and found to be to costly. it's unlikely they could be brought up to 8500 standards without completely gutting back to a shell though, which at that stage it would probably be more cost effective to buy new. they were built during a very very bad period in alsthom's history.
    the only possibilities i can see for them assuming they are in a condition that could allow any sort of a refurbishment at this stage. a similar project to the 230 over in the uk (will depend on whether the underframes could support the engine) and whether the basic electrics could even be refurbished. pulled by a loco is an idea that has been doing the rounds but i can't see it myself.

OK, so they are two car sets, with one car being a motorised carriage with an un-driven trailer. The driven bit has a motor and gearbox, plus electrical gear and is presumably the source of the reliability problems.

So what can cost so much to refurbish them, as they have refurbished the 8300 sets?

If they had them, they could run 5 six car sets coupled to the 8500s or one 8 car set and one six car set coupled to an 8500. It could eliminate the use of four car sets during peak service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So what can cost so much to refurbish them, as they have refurbished the 8300 sets?

If they had them, they could run 5 six car sets coupled to the 8500s or one 8 car set and one six car set coupled to an 8500. It could eliminate the use of four car sets during peak service.

The 8300s were built by a manufacturer who had built a large number of similar units over many years and had a good reputation for building good quality kit. Even to this day, older versions of similar trains are running in Hamburg, among other places, without too much of a problem. They also benefited from an excellent refurbishment from Siemens, who rarely do anything on the cheap or cut any corners.

The 8200s were built by Alstom at a time where they were building a lot of fleets of trains with problems that spent large spells out of use. Examples of this are the Irish Rail 2700s which were mothballed after around 10 years usage, and the Class 180 fleet in the UK which were returned off lease after only a few years use in favour of older, more reliable stock, as well as the class 458 trains in the UK which after 4 years service were withdrawn in favour of new build units which were 5x more reliable.

OK, so they are two car sets, with one car being a motorised carriage with an un-driven trailer. The driven bit has a motor and gearbox, plus electrical gear and is presumably the source of the reliability problems.

i'm unsure if the 8200s would be compatible with the 8500s. i don't think the 8100s are either but i'm unsure. there are only 5 2 car sets of the 8200s.
    as for refurbishment costs, perhapse the electrics might need to be fully replaced? the units were hugely unreliable when in service and as said they were built during a very very bad time for alsthom. they have been in storage and (as far as i know at least) haven't moved under their own power for years either, so their over-all condition might make things costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are they actually in storage or still parked up outside?

What's the point in holding them as they are useless.

Scrap them and be done.

Get in new stock if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Speaking of stock, the sooner the 27ks come back the better .

Between the capacity issues on PPT/M3 services and capacity issues on the intercity routes , the commuter carriages are badly needed on PPT /M3 and the intercity railcars are badly needed on some intercity routes.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Over 5 minutes sitting at the Dargel bridge today. €1.5k a year to be treated like this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

From all this utter mess, at least I got a few chuckles from @irshrail on Twitter. Some funny responses, although it's caught more than a few people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Like I said... is all the fleet on the road In the peak.. what is in Inchicore Cork and Limerick ? Does. NIR have any spare loco haul sets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not directly related but anyone know why 13.35 to Rosslare makes a stop in Gran Canal every few weeks lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could they buy second hand trains from anywhere? I realise that they would need to re-bogey them, but that cannot be too big a deal - they must have kept the bogies from the load of carriages they scrapped.

I have just read this post and I can't believe that you actual believe that CIE do things like retain useful items. I remember when they sent the Sulzers down to the North Wall for scrapping still full of fuel - that caused some fun for the scrappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not directly related but anyone know why 13.35 to Rosslare makes a stop in Gran Canal every few weeks lately?

The simple answer is because it's now on the timetable. Don't know why though.

I'm still intrigued by the diesel in the morning stopping in BlackRock but not on the way back in the evening

McGaggs wrote: »
    The simple answer is because it's now on the timetable. Don't know why though.

I'm still intrigued by the diesel in the morning stopping in BlackRock but not on the way back in the evening

Its not in the timetable because its not scheduled stop but I have got a reason so mystery solved.

thomasj wrote: »

Between the capacity issues on PPT/M3 services and capacity issues on the intercity routes , the commuter carriages are badly needed on PPT /M3 and the intercity railcars are badly needed on some intercity routes.

i completely agree.
    personally though, i would be surprised if the 2700s end up operating the park tunnel services or anything suburban out of heuston.

trellheim wrote: »
    Like I said... is all the fleet on the road In the peak..

i honestly don't know.
    what is in Inchicore Cork and Limerick ?
    [/QUOTE]

as far as i know. cork has the 2600s which operate the suburban services there.
    limerick has the 2800s which operate their services and inter-work with 2600s in cork from time to time, as well as operating the ballina branch. inchicore has most or maybe all the 2700s and the 8200s.

Does. NIR have any spare loco haul sets ?

no .
    McGaggs wrote: »

that's been happening for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Is the [ hourly ] all day [ M - F] PPT service still penciled in for start on 10 December next ? Unless more railcars are brought back into service by then, it may put even more pressure on the existing fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

thomasj wrote: »

I know little of Irish rails bizarre fleet going on but are t those ones only twenty years old? Why were they take out of service so relatively early? In England they run fleets for many decades. Is it to give an illusion of modernity while everything burns underneath ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

road_high wrote: »
    I know little of Irish rails bizarre fleet going on but are t those ones only twenty years old? Why were they take out of service so relatively early? In England they run fleets for many decades. Is it to give an illusion of modernity while everything burns underneath ?

See this post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108238613&postcount=875

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Why is there a nonstop from clonsilla 19.16 19.23 19.53 monday to friday to broombridge, its great to link up to the luas but why not on Saturday as well? Just wondering as i got to trinity college from clonsilla in 30mins using train and luas which is very good.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    Why is there a nonstop from clonsilla 19.16 19.23 19.53 monday to friday to broombridge, its great to link up to the luas but why not on Saturday as well? Just wondering as i got to trinity college from clonsilla in 30mins using train and luas which is very good.

Its a case of returning a lot of trains that ran peak time services from the city.

Cost Cutting is the simple answer but as the link above says reliability was a problem. They will now be converted to make them more compatible with the 2600/2800/2900 fleets and reduce overall costs and possibly improve reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Phil.x wrote: »

I wonder about some of these odd timings. Are they set up to facilitate one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I wonder about some of these odd timings. Are they set up to facilitate one person.

Answered above. It's to return peak time trains from Maynooth and M3 Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What do you think?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

What do you think?

Yeah I think so.

Yeah I think so.

Who?

Who?

I don't know. Just feel it in my waters.

I don't know. Just feel it in my waters.

Ok, so you are taking nonsense. Gotcha.

Ok, so you are taking nonsense. Gotcha.
    What can be dismissed without evidence can be asserted without evidence.

• Advertisement

What can be dismissed without evidence can be asserted without evidence.

Yep, still nonsense.

Advertisement