Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 buster parnel

Hi could somebody please tell me if I need to complete paylink form to transfer money from AIB to DEGIRO or is there another way
    the last time I did it was with the old iban number which no longer works thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hi could somebody please tell me if I need to complete paylink form to transfer money from AIB to DEGIRO or is there another way
    the last time I did it was with the old iban number which no longer works thanks
    Deposit money on top right of the app will give you the details - no form

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

sk8board wrote: »
    Yep. I assume we all got it.

Perhaps most interesting part is that they have had to stop accepting new registrations - lots of people who hadn’t an account previously, smelling value it seems

Still accepting new clients, just takes about a week to be processed.

Not a new customer
    I have tried that but can’t get beyond box or open up link

Not a new customer
    I have tried that but can’t get beyond box or open up link

Think you have to transfer money using your banking app.

• Advertisement

I have tried that only works for Irish iban numbers did a little research and it says on AIB website to fill up paylink form for international transfers which you can do in branch just like to know how other people are doing this is there another way

I have tried that only works for Irish iban numbers did a little research and it says on AIB website to fill up paylink form for international transfers which you can do in branch just like to know how other people are doing this is there another way

I did an online transfer yesterday from my AIB account.

All I have on my AIB app is transfer between Irish accounts or between my own AIB account so where did you get international transfer link

All I have on my AIB app is transfer between Irish accounts or between my own AIB account so where did you get international transfer link

I logged on to website from my desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

I have shares through DeGiro and in order to attend an online General Meeting of the company I have been asked to provide:

"Can you please confirm your shareholding details as they appear on your holding statement (including the holding name, address and number of shares held)?"

Where would I get that on DeGiro, dont see it?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bradygaz wrote: »
    I have shares through DeGiro and in order to attend an online General Meeting of the company I have been asked to provide:

"Can you please confirm your shareholding details as they appear on your holding statement (including the holding name, address and number of shares held)?"

thanks

It is very unlikely that you have a holding statement... When you buy shares through an online broker, they are by default held in nominee accounts, to facilitae which trading, so the shares are never actually registered in your name.

You can usually ask for the shares to be transferred to your name, but that takes time and usually costs... and the settlement period may also take longer when you wish to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bradygaz wrote: »

thanks

I believe if you email customer service they can provide you a statement showing how many share they are holding on your behalf. The shares on DeGiro are bearers shares meaning you are not the direct registered owner of the share, but I don’t believe this should prevent you from attending the general meeting (however DeGiro might charge you to make the arrangements, I am not sure about that).

Just on that, I have Gilead shares on both Degiro and Revolut. Revolut sent me a voting form for the AGM, Degiro didn’t .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tried signing up today. I received this message

"Due to current market circumstances and COVID-19, DEGIRO is experiencing a surge in new registrations. While we are extremely proud and grateful to attract so many investors, this extraordinary number of new clients also brings additional challenges to our service capacity. Therefore, in order to provide you with the quality of service that you would expect from a trusted financial institution, we have implemented a temporary waiting list and we are working hard to open the registration for you as fast as possible."

There is a waiting list and I am over 3500 places from top of the queue. Is it to be expected that I wont get in for the forseable future?If so, I think I'll go with Revolut. Any advice on other alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Headsup if you're thinking of closing your bank account with AIB and use N26 instead: Your degiro W-8BEN/-E form will not be valid anymore and you will therefore pay higher US tax.

The bank account, residence and tax residence should all be in the same country in order to be able to fill W-8BEN/-E form.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

buyer95 wrote: »

"Due to current market circumstances and COVID-19, DEGIRO is experiencing a surge in new registrations. While we are extremely proud and grateful to attract so many investors, this extraordinary number of new clients also brings additional challenges to our service capacity. Therefore, in order to provide you with the quality of service that you would expect from a trusted financial institution, we have implemented a temporary waiting list and we are working hard to open the registration for you as fast as possible."

There is a waiting list and I am over 3500 places from top of the queue. Is it to be expected that I wont get in for the forseable future?If so, I think I'll go with Revolut. Any advice on other alternatives?

What did you do for id verification? I have used the iphone and ipad app but returning nothing when holding in front of my passport card. Uploading isn't successful either.

Don't have the main passport to hand so could do with some help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Amouar wrote: »
    Headsup if you're thinking of closing your bank account with AIB and use N26 instead: Your degiro W-8BEN/-E form will not be valid anymore and you will therefore pay higher US tax.

The bank account, residence and tax residence should all be in the same country in order to be able to fill W-8BEN/-E form.

You will be fine as long as you leave an Irish account linked to you DeGiro account. You can leave the Irish account as the primary linked account then when you want to add/withdraw money just switch to your N26 account. Then once the money has been added or withdrawn switch back to the Irish account and submit a new W8BEN form.

I think you would get away with a closed Irish account as long as it was active when you added it to DeGiro before you closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

You will be fine as long as you leave an Irish account linked to you DeGiro account. You can leave the Irish account as the primary linked account then when you want to add/withdraw money just switch to your N26 account. Then once the money has been added or withdrawn switch back to the Irish account and submit a new W8BEN form.

I think you would get away with a closed Irish account as long as it was active when you added it to DeGiro before you closed it.

This would work, unless the timing is wrong and you end up switching primary account to N26 on a same day as a stock's ex-dividend date, and therefore Degiro will automatically calculate the US tax using the higher rate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Amouar wrote: »
    This would work, unless the timing is wrong and you end up switching primary account to N26 on a same day as a stock's ex-dividend date, and therefore Degiro will automatically calculate the US tax using the higher rate.

Yeah, the timing of dividend payments is something you need to be conscious of if you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

What about IG? I did a few trades with them and it was fine. I was actually able to buy shares that degiro didn't have listed and I paid to transfer them to my degiro account so they had to set up the investment trust on their platform.

• Advertisement

SameOleJay wrote: »
    What did you do for id verification? I have used the iphone and ipad app but returning nothing when holding in front of my passport card. Uploading isn't successful either.

Don't have the main passport to hand so could do with some help.

I used my passport book on the Android app. It captured the details almost instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wlo

is anybody else is having trouble with withdrawing money? they sent me an email saying the withdrawal is processed on the 30th march...still nothing in my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

heffo500 wrote: »
    What about IG? I did a few trades with them and it was fine. I was actually able to buy shares that degiro didn't have listed and I paid to transfer them to my degiro account so they had to set up the investment trust on their platform.

Thanks for the tip. I have looked into IG, and it seems mainly based around CFD's? Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I got the feeling that my (albeit small <€20k) share dealing account was only nuisance value. I had a lot of trouble over the years getting my consolidated tax certificate from them. Jumped ship to Degiro.
    Thanks for the tip. I have looked into IG, and it seems mainly based around CFD's? Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Is there a quicker way to lodge money to DeGiro than via a bank transfer and waiting 2 or 3 days to clear?

I had a trade I wanted to place on Friday and tried lodging, still waiting for funds to clear. Not a large amount of cash either <€4k. Trade no longer in scope now due to movement of price (not saying whether good or bad), just would break my trade rules now. I make very few trades so this was a bit annoying.

I used to use IG when living in UK and could top up from my card straight away.

PHG wrote: »
    Is there a quicker way to lodge money to DeGiro than via a bank transfer and waiting 2 or 3 days to clear?

I had a trade I wanted to place on Friday and tried lodging, still waiting for funds to clear. Not a large amount of cash either <€4k. Trade no longer in scope now due to movement of price (not saying whether good or bad), just would break my trade rules now. I make very few trades so this was a bit annoying.

With a decent bank, a SEPA transfer issued to Degiro in the morning is credited to the account in the late afternoon which isn't that bad (assuming it a business day for the banks involved in the transfer of course) .

Unless I am mistaken, they are not offering instant top-ups anymore though.

PHG wrote: »

First transfer is much slower, subsequent is fairly fast. Transferred €1000 from my AIB account at 8am this morning, it's ready to trade already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Shedite27 wrote: »
    First transfer is much slower, subsequent is fairly fast. Transferred €1000 from my AIB account at 8am this morning, it's ready to trade already.

Transferred from BOI Friday morning and still not there, not first transfer.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Transferred from BOI Friday morning and still not there, not first transfer.

Unless they have changed since I left them, BOI are pretty crap with SEPA transfers (as with anything related rove-banking really). For the banks I know of, KBC and AIB and much more frequent transfer batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

My one from Friday morning (from KBC) arrived around 5pm. Did another xfer of €1k straight after so will see how long that takes too.

Advertisement