Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions, Predictions

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

in fairness rbrbrbrb has a point imho. Apart from being a little abrasive he/she was only pointing out that they disagreed with the statement that UL would be considered the best med school in the country.

But you also have to realise mate that a load of people come on here just to take cheap shots at UL so although your opinion may be genuine the modding needs to be uber strict

IMO it will be 10 years before UL could be considered for being one of the best universities but thats just a personal opinion

/ 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

bubbleking wrote: »
    in fairness rbrbrbrb has a point imho. Apart from being a little abrasive he/she was only pointing out that they disagreed with the statement that UL would be considered the best med school in the country.

But you also have to realise mate that a load of people come on here just to take cheap shots at UL so although your opinion may be genuine the modding needs to be uber strict

IMO it will be 10 years before UL could be considered for being one of the best universities but thats just a personal opinion

/ 2 cents

Absolutely but those idiots are found out pretty quickly when they come on boards and people tell them where to go. Just because bluewall had nothing to back up their comments they got defensive and made it seem as if I'd completely badmouthed UL which I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

rbrbrb wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem. I haven't said anything negative about the UL program and I may actually have backed the program before on other posts but I'm not sure. I simply said bluewall is talking rubbish, he/she hasn't backed up their reasons for saying what he/she said. Please step back and read my posts again. I would encourage the person considering not doing medicine to definitely do it cos like I've said TWICE before on this thread UL is a good program. Just because people get defensive Sam doesn't mean you need to threaten me. Tell me where I've gone wrong apart from using the mildly insulting phrase of talking out your arse.

I think tact was the main issue. Anyone reading Bluewall's comments would know she wasn't trying to make any definitive statements about how UL would be perceived in the future.....it was only an opinion. And you kind of came at it with a sledgehammer in terms of abrasiveness/hostility....."talking through your arse"

Just a case of "no need".

Wilhelmet wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem. I haven't said anything negative about the UL program and I may actually have backed the program before on other posts but I'm not sure. I simply said bluewall is talking rubbish, he/she hasn't backed up their reasons for saying what he/she said. Please step back and read my posts again. I would encourage the person considering not doing medicine to definitely do it cos like I've said TWICE before on this thread UL is a good program. Just because people get defensive Sam doesn't mean you need to threaten me. Tell me where I've gone wrong apart from using the mildly insulting phrase of talking out your arse.

I think tact was the main issue. Anyone reading Bluewall's comments would know she wasn't trying to make any definitive statements about how UL would be perceived in the future.....it was only an opinion. And you kind of came at it with a sledgehammer in terms of abrasiveness/hostility....."talking through your arse"

Just a case of "no need".

Yeah agreed I was a little abrasive but she was trying to sell UL based on her idea that she thinks doctors will regard it as the best medical school in the country in a few years. I should have used softer language but honestly I don't think people's feelings get too hurt online and her response to my reaction was nothing to do with how I responded but rather seemed to think I'd taken some sort of pot shot at UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

rbrbrb , I couldn't care less what you think of UL. Its how you expressed your opinion that was the problem, and you acknowledge yourself it was abrasive.

please keep it civil.

on that note, wilhelmet , leave out the personal abuse please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

sam34 wrote: »
    rbrbrb , I couldn't care less what you think of UL. Its how you expressed your opinion that was the problem, and you acknowledge yourself it was abrasive.

please keep it civil.

on that note, wilhelmet , leave out the personal abuse please.

True, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

bluewall wrote: »
    Thats exactly why getting a place with a 54 or a 55 score is a massive massive get out of jail card this year. UL at 54 is an incredible bargain. It is a fantastic course down there - hard work just like anywhere else but at the end of the day you will be all the better doc for it. A good chunk of people who go to UL live in Dublin - the drive from South Dublin (Or if you live anywhere near the M50) is more like 90 to 100 minutes.

My opinion is that you need to realise what you have here - medicine is medicine. Never before and probably never again (and definitely not in any other country) will you get a place in medicine with such an average gamsat score - no offence intended, but it's analogous to scoring in the mid to high 400's in your leaving cert when going for med. Good but usually nowhere near enough.

Weigh that up with another year of the head f**k that is gamsat revision, all of the unkowns and ultimately the lack of control you really have on scoring better (and well enough) to get a place at another school in dublin. Etymon did it, and fair play to her, I followed her blog a bit and she really deserved it. She will tell you though, that it takes huge effort, planning and motivation and it is a choice that can be pretty regrettable if all the stars aren't aligned next time you take the gamsat!! joke! The choice though is ultimately up to you!!

The other thing I would say is that the score of 54 does not reflect UL itself, the place is a serious medical school, on the up all the time, and I wont be suprised in a few years (to the dismay of other people on here who are ready to pounce at any minute) when more and more doctors quote it as the best medical school in Ireland in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training.

Relationships and life comforts included, people have to make serious sacrifices all the time to take the medical route. Things that are worth following require sacrifice. If the people that are there for you in Dublin can't be still there for you 90 minutes down the road then these are other questions that you need to ask yourself. Nobody can give you much advice on that, just do your best to see the wood from the trees.

Bottom line. when you are dealing with an offer having scored a 54 or whatever it may be, you are holding a winning lottery ticket, remember that!!

Thanks for all the advice folks it was much appreciated. So I've decided to go for it and really looking forward to it now.
    Now to get my life sorted over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluewall

Absolutely but those idiots are found out pretty quickly when they come on boards and people tell them where to go. Just because bluewall had nothing to back up their comments they got defensive and made it seem as if I'd completely badmouthed UL which I didn't.

Ah listen, no one's feelings have been hurt here mate. You've massively back tracked now and fair play to you for doing that. Not once did you ask me to support my opinions or explain myself - all you did was chip in with antagonising comments with no real substance or value. If you wanted me to back up my opinion I would have gladly. You didn't ask, you just posted nonsense.

People come on here all the time having a go at UL & other medical schools with no first hand evidence etc. and you put yourself in that category - it angers people and it makes you come across as a fool. Your choice of words didn't exactly do you justice either. A bit more reading and re-reading of posts and a little less jumping the gun and you'll be fine.

I am only interested in trying to help people out here, just like so many have helped me over the past couple of years. I'm not here to rank universities or try to 'one-up' on other posters. I give my opinions and experience and like to read what others have to say - the whole point of these forums.

Unfortunately, it's the people who come on here to cause a stir with no justification or clear purpose is what makes others not want to to return to the forums.

bluewall wrote: »

Ah listen, no one's feelings have been hurt here mate. You've massively back tracked now and fair play to you for doing that. Not once did you ask me to support my opinions or explain myself - all you did was chip in with antagonising comments with no real substance or value. If you wanted me to back up my opinion I would have gladly. You didn't ask, you just posted nonsense.

People come on here all the time having a go at UL & other medical schools with no first hand evidence etc. and you put yourself in that category - it angers people and it makes you come across as a fool. Your choice of words didn't exactly do you justice either. A bit more reading and re-reading of posts and a little less jumping the gun and you'll be fine.

I am only interested in trying to help people out here, just like so many have helped me over the past couple of years. I'm not here to rank universities or try to 'one-up' on other posters. I give my opinions and experience and like to read what others have to say - the whole point of these forums.

Unfortunately, it's the people who come on here to cause a stir with no justification or clear purpose is what makes others not want to to return to the forums.

Getting in cheap shots like that when everyone else has agreed I didn't knock the program in UL makes you look foolish. Argument was over, get over it. Clearly hit a nerve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicko10

get a room

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicko10

P.S. I can see why rbrbrb was being abrasive with a comment like "and I wont be suprised in a few years (to the dismay of other people on here who are ready to pounce at any minute) when more and more doctors quote it as the best medical school in Ireland in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training." I agree, you are talking out of your arse (said in a non-abrasive manner...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

nicko10 wrote: »
    P.S. I can see why rbrbrb was being abrasive with a comment like "and I wont be suprised in a few years (to the dismay of other people on here who are ready to pounce at any minute) when more and more doctors quote it as the best medical school in Ireland in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training." I agree, you are talking out of your arse (said in a non-abrasive manner...)

It's a speculation sure, everything said about the future is. But it is the newish and most modern approach to medical training. Is anyone disputing this? IS it the most practical? I don't know really.

I'm not implying new or modern is better either. So all these people saying other people are talking out of their arse are also talking out of their arse. This is boards.ie remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McMuffin

nicko10 wrote: »

That guy nicko10 sounds like he knows what he's talking about

Advertisement