Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions, Predictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

wow thats redic how low they went - thankfully nobody predicted that. I will make the prediction that they will never go that low again. I'd imagine its a combination of more places/less applicants which was influenced by the surge in points last year. Time to get on the gravy tra:in while the going is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Got UCD. Wahoooo! Let the games begin. Looking forward to seeing some of you in September! Now to find a house......

Congratulations everyone. Delighted for anyone who got an offer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly_88

jtsuited wrote: »
    well done to everyone in advance.....if I hadn't had this forum I would have officially cracked up (although i did a good job of almost cracking up even with it).

THE WAITING GAME IS OVER!!!

Same here! congratulations to every1!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

emty89 wrote: »
    First of all, Congrats to everybody! The waiting game is over! Hope you all are happy!

I'm in shock. Got 55 in GAMSAT in March and got offered UL.
    I had given up all hope of getting an offer this year and was going to sit it again in September UK.
    Now I'm completely thrown off course. Have not researched into UL or loans etc? Currently live in Dublin, so would involve a move obviously!
    Would I be mad to decline and sit it again, and wait a full year?

Congrats to everyone!

I would say go for it. Another year would be painful, especially if you were abandoning a sure offer. Up to you, of course.....my two cents.

Congrats, by the way. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Yillan wrote: »
    Feckin marvellous jews. Congrats. I'm fairly chuffed alright
    haha funniest typo i've seen in a while.

• Advertisement

bubbleking wrote: »
    wow thats redic how low they went - thankfully nobody predicted that. I will make the prediction that they will never go that low again. I'd imagine its a combination of more places/less applicants which was influenced by the surge in points last year. Time to get on the gravy tra:in while the going is good :D

Completely agree, don't know if we'll ever see the like again. Those cut-offs are stunning. Congrats everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

anyone have any info on the starting dates/timetable for UCD?? Just got the offer there, had not expected getting into ucd so i'm a bit in the dark about the whole thing!

Congrats on getting UCD. Term dates at the link below. Make the most of the orientation week. There are a good few social events where you can get to know your new classmates.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/term_dates2011_13.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

First of all, Congrats to everybody! The waiting game is over! Hope you all are happy!

I had given up all hope of getting an offer this year and was going to sit it again in September UK.
    Now I'm completely thrown off course. Have not researched into UL or loans etc? Currently live in Dublin, so would involve a move obviously!

Congrats to everyone!

I'm in exactly the same position and I've no idea what to do. Would be leaving Dublin and all my friends, family and long-term girlfriend and I'm really at a loss as what to do.
    Going to be a long week of weighing up pros and cons it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

nivag7 wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position and I've no idea what to do. Would be leaving Dublin and all my friends, family and long-term girlfriend and I'm really at a loss as what to do.

2hours on the motorway each way which isnt too bad versus a year of your life... just saying... You'll meet plenty of new people and plenty of new friends. Ireland is a tiny country, getting home for the weekend or having people down is a tiny matter, remember you'll have to do this even if you go to college in Dublin i.e. for some of your clinical placements and after that for training upon qualification. Get yourself a banger and go for it!

I can't believe how much of a drop there has been this year. Its great news for a lot of people. I'd take the place if I were you. I'd never want to go through that sh!t again. I would have taken anywhere this year.

2hours on the motorway each way which isnt too bad versus a year of your life... just saying... You'll meet plenty of new people and plenty of new friends. Ireland is a tiny country, getting home for the weekend or having people down is a tiny matter, remember you'll have to do this even if you go to college in Dublin for some of your clinical placements and after that for training upon qualification. Get yourself a banger and go for it!

I can't believe how much of a drop there has been this year. Its great news for a lot of people. I'd take the place if I were you. I'd never want to go through that sh!t again. I would have taken anywhere this year.

My sentiments exactly. I would never want to go through Gamsat again. And especially if I knew that I had a place waiting for me. Totally understand the family/friends/girlfriend commitments, but you can make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Wilhelmet wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly. I would never want to go through Gamsat again. And especially if I knew that I had a place waiting for me. Totally understand the family/friends/girlfriend commitments, but you can make it work.

Totally agree, got into UCD which is costing me 40k a year, and decided to stay even though my boyfriend moved to America because the thought of taking more exams was going to kill me. At least its only Limerick, could be worse!!

Hey you got into medical school, we are some of the lucky few and you never know if you'll get another chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Congrats to everyone!

Congrats on your offer! About your dilema-think of it this way. If you rejected your place this year and the points shot up next year, wouldn't you be sick with yourself for not grabbing the chance while you had it? Nothing is guaranteed with the points and no-one knows what will happen from year to year. I'd say go for it! You'll make it work if you want to. Not an easy decision tho!

I rejected a place last year and spent the rest of the year terrified that the points would be out of reach this year. I wouldn't reject an offer again. It's a huge risk to take unless your points are up in the high 60's. Mine paid off but it could have easily gone the other way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cailin_fanach

Congrats on getting offered UCC!!

That's one hurdle over with :) I'm sure you will all have a fantastic time in Cork!

If you want to meet your North American classmates add yourselves here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118417148251896/

It's a good place to suss out other people in your class and ask any questions to any of us current GEMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

nivag7 wrote: »

Congrats to everyone!

From the other point of view, I repeated for Dublin and the year flew by... Not trying to do u out of a place ! On the other hand, don't forget personal circumstances might change (the reason I didn't go to UL was mainly relationship which sadly went bust) so in hindsight I would have been grand and now going into 3rd year!
    However I wouldn't change a thing now. Good luck whatever you decide! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

If I was sitting on a 54 and got offered a place I'd take it unless I was certain I'd be able to redo the gamsat and do significantly better. Some people repeat it and go up 5/7 points and some people repeat it only to go up one or two. I really don't see ucd going below 59 or 58 because they've maxed out their places for CAO entries now (afaik neither RCSI nor UCD will be increasing their spaces next year unlike this year). I would assume the general standard and marking stayed the same this year as last and the drop in points is due to extra spaces.

The only other argument is UL is significantly different in teaching style to UCD and that would be a deal breaker for many. People who mention support networks, community are taking the piss in my opinion. Unless you actually have dependents (spouse, kids, parent who is bedridden) if these things are entering your mind you probably don't have adequate motivation. On the other hand it's just another year so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluewall

etymon wrote: »
    From the other point of view, I repeated for Dublin and the year flew by... Not trying to do u out of a place ! On the other hand, don't forget personal circumstances might change (the reason I didn't go to UL was mainly relationship which sadly went bust) so in hindsight I would have been grand and now going into 3rd year!

Thats exactly why getting a place with a 54 or a 55 score is a massive massive get out of jail card this year. UL at 54 is an incredible bargain. It is a fantastic course down there - hard work just like anywhere else but at the end of the day you will be all the better doc for it. A good chunk of people who go to UL live in Dublin - the drive from South Dublin (Or if you live anywhere near the M50) is more like 90 to 100 minutes.

My opinion is that you need to realise what you have here - medicine is medicine. Never before and probably never again (and definitely not in any other country) will you get a place in medicine with such an average gamsat score - no offence intended, but it's analogous to scoring in the mid to high 400's in your leaving cert when going for med. Good but usually nowhere near enough.

Weigh that up with another year of the head f**k that is gamsat revision, all of the unkowns and ultimately the lack of control you really have on scoring better (and well enough) to get a place at another school in dublin. Etymon did it, and fair play to her, I followed her blog a bit and she really deserved it. She will tell you though, that it takes huge effort, planning and motivation and it is a choice that can be pretty regrettable if all the stars aren't aligned next time you take the gamsat!! joke! The choice though is ultimately up to you!!

The other thing I would say is that the score of 54 does not reflect UL itself, the place is a serious medical school, on the up all the time, and I wont be suprised in a few years (to the dismay of other people on here who are ready to pounce at any minute) when more and more doctors quote it as the best medical school in Ireland in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training.

Relationships and life comforts included, people have to make serious sacrifices all the time to take the medical route. Things that are worth following require sacrifice. If the people that are there for you in Dublin can't be still there for you 90 minutes down the road then these are other questions that you need to ask yourself. Nobody can give you much advice on that, just do your best to see the wood from the trees.

Bottom line. when you are dealing with an offer having scored a 54 or whatever it may be, you are holding a winning lottery ticket, remember that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 emty89

Thank you all for your advice. It's nice to hear other peoples point of view. After the initial shock, I have bit the bullet and decided it is an extremely good offer and too good to pass up on!
    Away with the GAMSAT books. Hello Limerick!!

P.S Any information on finance and accomodation?

Thank you all for your advice. It's nice to hear other peoples point of view. After the initial shock, I have bit the bullet and decided it is an extremely good offer and too good to pass up on!
    Away with the GAMSAT books. Hello Limerick!!

P.S Any information on finance and accomodation?

Fair play to you! It's not easy, but you've made a decision you won't regret! Go back a bit and search the boards here for previous posts on UL accom and finances. The UL section on the New Media Medicine website forum also has some good info.

From what I know.. People either live with friends (or others on the course they meet in the first few weeks & move in together after a few months) in rented houses in castletroy, annacotty or towards town. The people majority who choose to live on campus live in Cappavilla (80-90%).

Regarding loans I think Ulster Bank in Castletroy Limerick is one place but again do a bit of research and ask around! That's the beauty of these boards (most people want to help if they can!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

bluewall wrote: »
    etymon wrote: »

Thats exactly why getting a place with a 54 or a 55 score is a massive massive get out of jail card this year. UL at 54 is an incredible bargain. It is a fantastic course down there - hard work just like anywhere else but at the end of the day you will be all the better doc for it. A good chunk of people who go to UL live in Dublin - the drive from South Dublin (Or if you live anywhere near the M50) is more like 90 to 100 minutes.

My opinion is that you need to realise what you have here - medicine is medicine. Never before and probably never again (and definitely not in any other country) will you get a place in medicine with such an average gamsat score - no offence intended, but it's analogous to scoring in the mid to high 400's in your leaving cert when going for med. Good but usually nowhere near enough.

Weigh that up with another year of the head f**k that is gamsat revision, all of the unkowns and ultimately the lack of control you really have on scoring better (and well enough) to get a place at another school in dublin. Etymon did it, and fair play to her, I followed her blog a bit and she really deserved it. She will tell you though, that it takes huge effort, planning and motivation and it is a choice that can be pretty regrettable if all the stars aren't aligned next time you take the gamsat!! joke! The choice though is ultimately up to you!!

The other thing I would say is that the score of 54 does not reflect UL itself, the place is a serious medical school, on the up all the time, and I wont be suprised in a few years (to the dismay of other people on here who are ready to pounce at any minute) when more and more doctors quote it as the best medical school in Ireland in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training.

Relationships and life comforts included, people have to make serious sacrifices all the time to take the medical route. Things that are worth following require sacrifice. If the people that are there for you in Dublin can't be still there for you 90 minutes down the road then these are other questions that you need to ask yourself. Nobody can give you much advice on that, just do your best to see the wood from the trees.

Bottom line. when you are dealing with an offer having scored a 54 or whatever it may be, you are holding a winning lottery ticket, remember that!!

UL doesn't have a med school at the moment and yes I'm afraid i have to pounce on you and say you are talking through your arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

rbrbrb wrote: »
    UL doesn't have a med school at the moment and yes I'm afraid i have to pounce on you and say you are talking through your arse
    not sure if troll or just very..... ill informed :o

• Advertisement

Ah I knew it wouldn't be long...

They do in fact have a medical school which has been running for almost 5 years now. They are yet to have their own formal medical school building though. But really good point you made there, very relevant and important; classes and practicals take place in one set of equally equipped rooms rather than another.

Why are you afraid to pounce and tell me I'm talking through my arse, why don't have a bit more confidence in yourself to come and do it outright without being afraid? Not sure exactly how I'm talking out my arse but I'll let you away with it on this occasion on account of your ignorance.

Literally any excuse for these eejits to have a go. Looking forward to meeting some of them on the wards....

I won't be gracing another post like that with a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Limerick seems to get a really hard time here and unfairly so - I was down there as I was sure thats where I was heading and it looked really really good I was very impressed! It will be some spot when the med building gets finished!

Unfortunately the Gamsat round 0 coming in at 54* is just going to give idiots another excuse to have a go

You are talking through your arse when you say more and more doctors may well start saying Limerick is the best med school in Ireland. UL is a good university and the graduate course is good but to say the above is plainly ridiculous. I meant to say it had no med dedicated med school building, apologies for that. I am afraid is also a turn of phrase so please dont use it when you are arguing back to try to make me look stupid. You just look stupid.

You are talking through your arse when you say more and more doctors may well start saying Limerick is the best med school in Ireland. UL is a good university and the graduate course is good but to say the above is plainly ridiculous. I meant to say it had no med dedicated med school building, apologies for that. I am afraid is also a turn of phrase so please dont use it when you are arguing back to try to make me look stupid. You just look stupid.

Sure why would I bother trying to make you look stupid when you're doing a fine job of it yourself!

I never said doctors will regard UL as definitively THE best medical school in Ireland, but I did say; in terms of it's modern & practical approach to medical training that I wouldn't be surprised if it was regarded as the best. In other words; Problem based learning.

Is it too presumptuous of me to expect you to be able to read properly? Probably not when you are spitting out comments like the above and then correcting yourself and apologising.

Whatever about talking out my arse, the view out of yours is hardly too clear when you're making comments on things that you haven't even read.

Like I said ULs grad program is good but it remains to be seen whether PBL is the best approach to teaching/learning so what you are going on is a general hunch - that is talking out your arse; which is also turn of phrase in case youre denying talking out of your arse on the basis that you arent literally talking out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hahaha!!! there is definately a multi accounting UBER-TROLL stomping around these boards :D
    Like I said ULs grad program is good but it remains to be seen whether PBL is the best approach to teaching/learning so what you are going on is a general hunch - that is talking out your arse; which is also turn of phrase in case youre denying talking out of your arse on the basis that you arent literally talking out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

This is embarrassing carry on altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

FFS - cop on please. anymore of the snide or childish remarks and you will be banned. no further warnings.

There's a girl I think you'd like to meet rhubarb, she's called Mrs Stuffings. A real catch. You two would get on great together. If you're interested, I'm sure we can organise a Ouija Board to contact her?

UL is a great place, and I firmly believe the comments above (bluewall) will be proven right in time. It's system (PBL) is based on St.Georges in London, which was pretty much one of the first (and most successful) graduate medicine courses running, which has a great reputation. I have no doubt that UL will be seen to follow suit.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't see the problem. I haven't said anything negative about the UL program and I may actually have backed the program before on other posts but I'm not sure. I simply said bluewall is talking rubbish, he/she hasn't backed up their reasons for saying what he/she said. Please step back and read my posts again. I would encourage the person considering not doing medicine to definitely do it cos like I've said TWICE before on this thread UL is a good program. Just because people get defensive Sam doesn't mean you need to threaten me. Tell me where I've gone wrong apart from using the mildly insulting phrase of talking out your arse.

Advertisement