Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Timing is everything, isn't it Leo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/maria-bailey-removed-as-committee-chair-over-compensation-claim-1.3965091
    Mr Varadkar on Tuesday announced Ms Bailey would lose the committee chair but will retain the party whip.

“It is clear to me, that Deputy Bailey made numerous errors of judgement in her handling of this matter from the outset, during and even after she’d withdrawn the case,” he said. “And her approach jars with that of a Government taking action to reduce personal injury payments, claims and insurance costs to people and businesses.

“For these reasons, I am demoting her and removing her as Chairperson of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Housing.

I hope this will send a clear message to other public representatives about taking such cases in future.

What 'clear message' is that Leo?
    That you don't have the balls or know-how to do anything about it if they do?
    “In not going further by removing the whip from Deputy Bailey, I do so conscious of the devastating effect this saga has had on Deputy Bailey and her family in particular. She has endured considerable negative publicity, public criticism and is now personally liable for significant legal and medical costs.”

All her own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Suckit wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/maria-bailey-removed-as-committee-chair-over-compensation-claim-1.3965091

What 'clear message' is that Leo?
    That you don't have the balls or know-how to do anything about it if they do?

'If you get caught over stressing the effect of an injury in order to exhort a business to give you more compensation then we will use the least damaging sanction available to us to discipline you. Carry on.'

Clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the numbers in the Dáil are what allowed her to keep the whip, as much fun as a GE would be, it's probably not worthy of bringing the government down. Hopefully there's a deselection at the next GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A quick analysis of social media reaction shows it's not going down well with journalists and commentators alike.

More questions being raised around Madigans input.

Interesting to note Maria Bailey remains on the FG ticket for the next GE. Major underestimation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So Leo is basically telling us everything she said to SOR, without actually repeating the words 'a humanity has been crossed'.
    The only thing he said that was different, was that she is now personally liable for significant legal and medical costs.

And even then, he left out the word THE.
    He should have said
    "and is now personally liable for the significant legal and medical costs."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

The final nail in Leo's coffin.

I would hope that he and his advisors are underestimating the public perception of the matter. But sadly history proves that politicians can get away with serious stuff if you leave enough time for the media storm to diffuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A firm but fair reprimand by the Taoiseach. Hopefully other members of the oireachtas learn from this. Time for deputy Bailey to move forward and put this unfortunate time of her life behind her.

You can’t beat a bit of common old whitewash to cover a bit of flaking and discolour Paddy. We used it on an old shed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Leo does as expected and announces his "sanction" for Maria on a day where it's bound to be buried by Boris, the Tories and Brexit.

That the actual lack of sanction isn't galling enough, the fact that the calculated and deliberate timing of the release is designed to try and keep this from the front pages is quite insulting to the electorate.

Basically, Fine Gael and Leo in particular have issued a gigantic Fúck you to the electorate.
    They don't really care even about the optics of honesty anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So we know who said Maria had a 'clear cut case' ;)
    The statement said too that Minister Josepha Madigan (then a backbench TD) gave initial legal advice, guidance and assisted Deputy Bailey with her Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB) application.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0723/1064825-maria-bailey-fine-gael/

What's happening to Josepha? Keep her head down for a few months?
    What's another dishonest Fine Gaeler I suppose...

Too little too late Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A firm but fair reprimand by the Taoiseach. Hopefully other members of the oireachtas learn from this. Time for deputy Bailey to move forward and put this unfortunate time of her life behind her.

Hahahahaha

Firm reprimand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

banie01 wrote: »
    So Leo does as expected and announces his "sanction" for Maria on a day where it's bound to be buried by Boris, the Tories and Brexit.

That the actual lack of sanction isn't galling enough, the fact that the calculated and deliberate timing of the release is designed to try and keep this from the front pages is quite insulting to the electorate.

Basically, Fine Gael and Leo in particular have issued a gigantic Fúck you to the electorate.
    They don't really care even about the optics of honesty anymore.

Where it may have gone unnoticed before this time the tactic has not gone unnoticed. Maria Bailey is the number 1 trending in Ireland at the minute. Many references are being made linking the timing with events in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Ah leo, poor response even by your standards.

God I despise FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bailey getting a slap on the wrist and nothing else makes me even the more certain Madigans up to her neck in this too.

Two months for the square root of fcuk all to happen?

We know now that it either took leo 2 months of serious backroom horse trading to come to this one, or he's simply missing a set of hairy testicles - serious lack of leadership.

In one way tis great, never again can the fg party try and take the superior moral high ground, they're ok with insurance fraud now, so long as it's one of their own doing the scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bailey getting a slap on the wrist and nothing else makes me even the more certain Madigans up to her neck in this too.

Two months for the square root of fcuk all to happen?

We know now that it either took leo 2 months of serious backroom horse trading to come to this one, and he's missing a set of hairy testicles too - serious lack of leadership.

In one way tis great, never again can the fg party try and take the superior moral high ground, they're ok with insurance fraud now, so long as it's one of their own doing the scamming.

Big leaps of logic going on there, JD. This happened before she was a TD and Enda/Leo werent aware of it. It’s like saying SF are ok with child murderers and bombers because they have em in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Big leaps of logic going on there, JD. This happened before she was a TD and Enda/Leo werent aware of it. It’s like saying SF are ok with child murderers and bombers because they have em in the party.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

banie01 wrote:

This will bite them in the bum come election time

And the 'whataboutery' award goes to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lead story on the Indo site, poor Leo can't catch a break even when Boris and Shane should be enough to bury Maria's shenanigans there is the Indo front and centre making her the top story. My my the Indo seems to really hate FG, wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To release this on the day Conservatives elect a new PM in the UK shows the absolute contempt FG have for the public.
    Well FG, it's coming right back at you from anyone with half a brain.
    Absolute scumbag move and we see right through it all you FG spinners.

Collins, Cosgrave and Fitzgerald will be turning in their graves at the party who are supposed to have inherited their mantle.
    It's clear that Haughey is their moral forefather.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

A busy day or two ahead for Young FG member's online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For the next election, we should mass print up poster to put on door/gate/entrance to property with something like

"No FG Politicians allowed access due to concern they will sue,Please contact my legal representative "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Lead story on the Indo site, poor Leo can't catch a break even when Boris and Shane should be enough to bury Maria's shenanigans there is the Indo front and centre making her the top story. My my the Indo seems to really hate FG, wonder why?

I wonder what the Sunday papers will have on this. They won't like Leo's attempt to subdue this story.

Either way the message has gone out that fraudsters are welcome in the Fine Gael parliamentary party.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For the next election, we should mass print up poster to put on door/gate/entrance to property with something like
    "No FG Politicians allowed access due to concern they will sue,Please contact my legal representative "

A thanks is insufficient to express my appreciation.
    :D

This needs to become a 'thing'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I’m as floating a voter as you could find, probably more likely to vote Social Democrats these days. It is certainly cynical that Leo chose today to announce his moderate measure of punishment for Bailey. As her father had died so recently it was convenient to say her punishment was moderated under the circumstances. However the case she tried to go to court with was in spite of the circumstances of her Dad’s awful terminal illness which would most likely have been established at that point. So she knew she would have been mounting more stress upon herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Some very ‘bound up’ individuals around here it seems. I’d suggest getting more roughage and fibre into the diet - frozen pizza and Lidl pot noodles aren’t a balanced diet, or optimal for good digestive health.

I was scanning the paper this morning looking for anything relating to the Maria Bailey case. Nothing there, but I did read an article on Irish people being deficient in Vitamin D. This can lead to irritation, low mood, and confusion. It’s a beautiful day, so how about emerging from the bunker and going for a good long walk? See how beautiful a country you live in. Smell the roses.

Doubt you will be able to make the same statement tomorrow, Johnny lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I see Bailey is still claiming that she "made no attempt to mislead in this matter". I mean WTF?:rolleyes::(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This day will go down in infamy. We will never forgive. We will never forget. Varadkar just signed his own death warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I'd say FF are delighted with this. Makes them look soo much better. Micheál is playing Leo like a fiddle, so to speak. Another huge step in their rehabilitation thanks to Alan, Maria and especially Leo.

Well played Micheál.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I see Bailey is still claiming that she "made no attempt to mislead in this matter". I mean WTF?:rolleyes::(

FG through and through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement