Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

In the spirit of the thread...

Healy, Sherry, Considine
    Nagle, Foley
    POM, Dom Ryan, Butler
    Murray
    Keatley
    Earls,
    Hanrahan
    McFadden
    Gilroy
    Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Healy, Sherry, Considine
    Nagle, Foley
    POM, Dom Ryan, Butler
    Murray
    Keatley
    Earls,
    Hanrahan
    McFadden
    Gilroy
    Jones

Have you seen much of Considine? I saw him destroy the Cork Con scrum last season which included a few Munster players.

profitius wrote: »
    Have you seen much of Considine? I saw him destroy the Cork Con scrum last season which included a few Munster players.

Nope, think Ormond rates him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

LK_Dave wrote: »
    but who will be team manager?

conor o shea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭twinytwo

There'll be other players who'll come through like SOB has since the last world cup.

we hope:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

O'Brien will be captain anyway, ill take bets on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Or If Declan Kidney is still in charge :P

1.Cian Healy (27)
    2. Jerry Flannery (36)
    3.Mike Ross (35)
    4.DOC (36)
    5.POC(35)
    6.SOB (28)
    7.David Wallace (39)
    8.Jamie Heaslip (31)
    9.TOL (31)
    10.ROG (38)
    11.Keith Earls (28)
    12.Gordon D'Arcy (35)
    13.BOD(36)
    14.Tommy Bowe (31)
    15.Rob Kearney (29)

16.Rory Best (33)
    17.John Hayes (41)
    18.Tony Buckley (35)
    19.Random Munster 2nd row/Blind side (31)
    20.Random Munster utility forward (33)
    21.Peter Stringer (37)
    22.David Humphreys (44)
    23.Girvan Dempsey (39)

Press Release "I felt after our dismal showing 4 years ago we really needed some extra experience in the side, form is temporary class is permanent and whatnot. BOD is in flying form after his recent super-gluing back together, Humphreys has only gained two stone and is now able to kick from the 5m line and Random Munster Utility Forward has been known to throw, lift AND catch the same lineout, whilst also packing down on the openside"

TBH I wouldn't be too surprised if this is the case :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Healy, Sherry, Considine
    Nagle, Foley
    POM, Dom Ryan, Butler
    Murray
    Keatley
    Earls,
    Hanrahan
    McFadden
    Gilroy
    Jones

Eh?! In four years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Healy, Sherry, Considine
    Nagle, Foley
    POM, Dom Ryan, Butler
    Murray
    Keatley
    Earls,
    Hanrahan
    McFadden
    Gilroy
    Jones

2015, not 3015

wixfjord wrote: »
    Eh?! In four years?!

Well, everyone else was taking the piss...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Nope, think Ormond rates him.
    I do and he is a very good prospect, only barely 19 and played and done quite well in the front row in AIL div 1 at 18 against much older more experienced players

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Not one person think O'Connell (35) will play at the next world cup, but four people think Sykes (who has looked rubbish so far, and is South African) will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Not one person think O'Connell (35) will play at the next world cup, but four people think Sykes (who has looked rubbish so far, and is South African) will play.
    Sykes is 5 years younger than him.

When exactly did you think he looked rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Sykes looks like he could be a very handy player, idk about playing for Ireland though he has played for the Springbok A team but i'm not sure if that disqualifies him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sykes looks like he could be a very handy player, idk about playing for Ireland though he has played for the Springbok A team but i'm not sure if that disqualifies him.

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/rugby/new-blue-sykes-wants-to-play-for-ireland-149646.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Question answered and excellent news too. Sykes is only gonna be 30-31 by the next world cup and will be a great option in the short term at least i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Simply not true. Keatley's defence is the number one aspect of his game. The best defensive out half in the Home Nations bar Wilkinson and Henson. But as we've seen with sénor O'Gara, it's not necessarily the most important attribute for an outside half back. Probably why he is being played at inside centre a lot since he's bulked up in his twenties.

His defense for Connacht was simple amazing. Anyone remember him in a static position putting down Elsom one on one by the try line 2 years back? Or his UFC-esqe pick up, run and throw of Jerry Collin to touch?

I'll take your word on it as I never saw him do what you said with Connacht, but I did see him play against Connacht in the Irish XV in Donnybrook in August, and he was tested in defense at 12.. And he was bounced around all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

POC probably will make it, but thats more an indictment of the lack of locks coming through than anything. I'd say he'll start for the Lions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hype710 wrote: »
    POC probably will make it, but thats more an indictment of the lack of locks coming through than anything. I'd say he'll start for the Lions too.

Very possibly; given that his current rivals (DOC, Cullen) are no spring chickens either. As for starting for the Lions, that's possibly stretching it, especially if Richie Gray and Courtney Lawes keep up their current rate of progress.

Overall, I think people are over-estimating the amount of changes we'll see between now and 2015; Best, Cronin, Healy, Ryan, SOB, Ferris, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Bowe, Earls, Trimble, McFadden and Kearney will all still be of rugby-playing age come the next World Cup, as well as Fitzgerald, Jones, McLaughlin and O'Leary (:eek:) - then you might have guys like O'Driscoll and O'Connell limping towards one last hurrah...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Very possibly; given that his current rivals (DOC, Cullen) are no spring chickens either. As for starting for the Lions, that's possibly stretching it, especially if Richie Gray and Courtney Lawes keep up their current rate of progress.

Overall, I think people are over-estimating the amount of changes we'll see between now and 2015; Best, Cronin, Healy, Ryan, SOB, Ferris, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Bowe, Earls, Trimble, McFadden and Kearney will all still be of rugby-playing age come the next World Cup, as well as Fitzgerald, Jones, McLaughlin and O'Leary (:eek:) - then you might have guys like O'Driscoll and O'Connell limping towards one last hurrah...

Agreed, I think there'll be only a few breakthroughs.
    Sherry, Spence, Hagan, Conway, Gilroy, Nagle, Ruddock, and perhaps Ryan and Keatley or an Ulster 10.
    Luke McGrath to be a bolter, you heard it here first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Not really, I can't see Lawes and Gray running a successful line out so it will be one of the two and the other off the bench I'd say. I think people feel if given a chance, guys like Gilroy who will be 24 will be a better option than the likes of Bowe, at 31, but you do need experience in a side also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Not really, I can't see Lawes and Gray running a successful line out so it will be one of the two and the other off the bench I'd say. I think people feel if given a chance, guys like Gilroy who will be 24 will be a better option than the likes of Bowe, at 31, but you do need experience in a side also.

The amount of people writing off guys who will be 30/31 is making me feel very old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

apart from his lineout work the game seems to be accelerating beyond POC's skillset at a rate of knots.

he wont be around in 4 years time, Nagle, Touhy, Tonar, Mick Kearney, Sykes, McLaughlin & Donncadh Ryan will be jostling for 2nd row berths.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I'm almost certain that he cna become IQ, he even mentioned it in a press release when his signing was announced, whether he should be is a debate in itself.

Edit: Just saw above so it is definite he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

. I think people feel if given a chance, guys like Gilroy who will be 24 will be a better option than the likes of Bowe, at 31, but you do need experience in a side also.

I hope Bowe will be in the 2015 squad. Hes a world class winger and one of the smartest players in the country. He always seems to make the right decision and comes in off his wing alot to give more attacking options.

Hes a player I'd like to see move into coaching when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »

Both warm up games. The don't count for much, but he has obviously done absolutely nothing to deserve predicted Irish honours. And yes, I have watched him in Super 15, and has done nothing to suggest international honours there either. Countless people ahead of him for his actual country.

Shaw is playing for England at 38. Why couldn't O'Connell do it at 35?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Healy, Sherry, Hagan, Nagle, Tuohy, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Earls, McFadden, Spence, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Cronin, McAllister, Foley, Ruddock, P Marshall, Keatley, Fitzgerald/Zebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Eric Elwood after guiding Connacht to the heineken cup final in 2014 on a meagre budget :)

Itll be sad after winning it in 2012 hell have to wait another 2 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Hagan 4.Touhy 5.Sykes 6.Ferris 7.O'Brien 8.Heaslip 9.McGrath 10.Sexton 11.Conway 12.Marshall 13.McFadden 14.Bowe 15.Kearney

16.Cronin 17.McAllister 18.Nagle 19.Dominic Ryan 20.Murray 21.Madigan 22.Fitzgerald/Earls

I worry about 13 to be honest....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Healy, Sherry, Hagan, Nagle, Tuohy, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Heaslip;
    Murray, Sexton, Earls, McFadden, Spence, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Cronin, McAllister, Foley, Ruddock, P Marshall, Keatley, Fitzgerald/Zebo

You left out Ferris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement