Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your irish 22 for the 2015 rugby world cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nooner09

mayordenis wrote: »
    Earls will be there, I'll bet my bollocks on it.

Not up to standards being set by prodigies in the schools.

Hopefully we'll have 13+2 selection rule by then ( 2 players from the regional sides ). Never again the absolute mare and shambles of 2011 with outright discrimination against some of the best guys in Europe and ( if dk would only pick them ) the world. Potential world beaters in academy ignored in favour of average guys who lucked it into Lions squad in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

1.Cian Healy
    2.Mike Sherry
    3.Jamie Hagan
    4.Dan Tuohy
    5.Ian Nagle
    6.Sean O'Brien
    7.Willy Falloon
    8.Jamie Heaslip
    9.Conor Murray
    10.Jonathan Sexton
    11.Luke Fitzgerald
    12.Fergus McFadden
    13.Nevin Spence
    14.Tommy Bowe
    15.Felix Jones

16.Richardt Strauss
    17.Stephen Archer
    18.Paddy McAllister
    19.Dave O'Callaghan
    20.Stephen Ferris
    21.Luke McGrath
    22.Ian Keatley
    23.Rob Kearney

Head Coach: Nick Mallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Hagz wrote: »

EDIT: Fionn Carr will be going on 30. If he still has the pace, then I guess he's an option

It's a good point, I can see guys like McFadden and Carr breaking into the Irish team soon and they may well even tour with the Lions in 2013, but I don't see them being mainstays in the side to guarantee they'll be starting for us in four years time, such is the talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Or If Declan Kidney is still in charge :P

1.Cian Healy (27)
    2. Jerry Flannery (36)
    3.Mike Ross (35)
    4.DOC (36)
    5.POC(35)
    6.SOB (28)
    7.David Wallace (39)
    8.Jamie Heaslip (31)
    9.TOL (31)
    10.ROG (38)
    11.Keith Earls (28)
    12.Gordon D'Arcy (35)
    13.BOD(36)
    14.Tommy Bowe (31)
    15.Rob Kearney (29)

16.Rory Best (33)
    17.John Hayes (41)
    18.Tony Buckley (35)
    19.Random Munster 2nd row/Blind side (31)
    20.Random Munster utility forward (33)
    21.Peter Stringer (37)
    22.David Humphreys (44)
    23.Girvan Dempsey (39)

Press Release "I felt after our dismal showing 4 years ago we really needed some extra experience in the side, form is temporary class is permanent and whatnot. BOD is in flying form after his recent super-gluing back together, Humphreys has only gained two stone and is now able to kick from the 5m line and Random Munster Utility Forward has been known to throw, lift AND catch the same lineout, whilst also packing down on the openside"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I don't know what the team will be (injuries, retirements etc) but the squad will be much stronger than it is now. Skill level will be much higher and the average will be lower.

We'll have plenty of options at prop and hooker. There'll be loads of backrows and plenty of options at center and half backs. There's loads of young back 3 players around now too. Locks seem to be the area where we could be a little short but theres a few promising players who can play there.

Some players I've seen who look like they'll get Irish caps in the not too distant future include:
    Tiernan O'Halloran, JJ Hanrahan, Luke Marshall, Conway, Tadhg Furlong, POM, Nagle, Sherry, Spence, Gilroy, Griffen, Dom Ryan, Madigan, Paddy McAllister.

There are others too that are highly rated like Luke McGrath but I can't comment until I see them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

nooner09 wrote: »
    How did Nagle and Gilroy, like, sneak on there? Nagle's only hope would be as a total Kidney pet . Some guys with serious lock potential in Junior Cup this year and where's Fionn, the legend?

Well considering that he already has a MOM award against Australia, I think most posters would expect him to be around the Irish test team in 4 years.

Are you. honestly talking about School's Junior Cup players being in with a good chance of being starting international locks in 4 years? The majority of them won't even be locks in 4 years when other players have hit their growth spurt.
    Not up to standards being set by prodigies in the schools.

Earls was the prodigy at schools level (along with Fitzgerald). I've only seen Munster school's admittedly, but only JJ Hanrahan would be anywhere near the level Earls was at. Neither Simon Zebo or Danny Barnes were at the same level as Earls and they are both regulars for Munster now.

Earls was the prodigy at schools level (along with Fitzgerald). I've only seen Munster school's admittedly, but only JJ Hanrahan would be anywhere near the level Earls was at. Neither Simon Zebo or Danny Barnes were at the same level as Earls and they are both regulars for Munster now.

Dairmuid McCarthy was another schools prodigy but he decided against a rugby career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Ferris
    5. Tuohy
    6. Ruddock
    7. Dom Ryan
    8. O'Brien
    9. McGrath
    10. Sexton
    11. Carr
    12. Marshall
    13. Spence
    14. Kearney
    15. Kearney

16. Varley
    17. Archer
    18. Ross
    19. Sykes
    20. Heaslip
    21. Murray
    22. Keatley
    23. Bowe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Danny barnes can hardly be considered a schools prodigy, he only played 1 year of schools rugby and that was the year after he had played irish youths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Surprised so many people are leaving Trimble out.

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Danny barnes can hardly be considered a schools prodigy, he only played 1 year of schools rugby and that was the year after he had played irish youths

I never called him a prodigy. I was saying that of the players I've seen, only JJ Hanrahan and Earls looked to be special/a prodigy if you will.

Barnes and Zebo are the two best examples off hand of players who didn't look like prodigies - they were both brilliant Senior Cup players though Despite this, they are now looking like being regulars for Munster this season. Conor Murray was another one who didn't look like something special and look where he is now.

Sorry for all the Munchins references but, as I'm at it...

Cpt_BlackBeard's Fun Fact of the Day:
    St.Munchins College have more past-pupils at the WC than any other Irish school. 6 in total if you include Damien Varley and George Clancy.

Surprised so many people are leaving Trimble out.

He'd be in the 30 anyway.

Who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nooner09

"Are you. honestly talking about School's Junior Cup players being in with a good chance of being starting international locks in 4 years? The majority of them won't even be locks in 4 years when other players have hit their growth spurt."

Yes. If they can handle Donnybrook in March, they'll be more than good enough for Kingsholm or Twickenham in October 2015.

If only dk could see that.

But anyway guys, my 2011 team follows. Because, like, we should be building the 2015 team today. It might not beat the ozzies but who in all honesty can and it's totally about squad development for 2015 and it couldn't do any worse than dk and his head in the sand selection.:eek:

Take off the blinkers, dec k.

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Eoin O'Malley
    11: Fionn Carr
    10: Sexto
    9: Luke McGrath

1: Cian Healy
    2: Best
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Steven Ferris ( get a few games here before the knees pack it in )
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Sean O'Brien
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Jamie H CAPTAIN

Subs: Leo Cullen ( experienced head if game is tight, ferris can move into back row) ROG ( see before ) Jennings, M Ross, Cronin, Conor Murray, Tommy Bowe ( tough but his form just isn't up to it guys and Trimble is totally unlucky to lose out entirely. POC goes on too many spasmo charges, slowing the team down so only has self to blame for missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

15.R Kearney
    14.A Trimble
    13.T Bowe
    12.F McFadden
    11.K Earls
    10.J Sexton
    9.C Murray
    8.J Heaslip
    7.D Ryan
    6.S O'Brien
    5.I Nagle
    4.D Tuohy
    3.J Hagan
    2.S Cronin
    1.C Healy

16. D Varley
    17. B Wilkinson
    18. I Nagle
    19. R Ruddock
    20. T O'Leary
    21. I Keatley
    22. L Fitzgerald

Some of ye have named the 2019 team for heaven's sake. Maybe Spence, Griffen, Conway and Carr in the backs will be involved but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Yes. If they can handle Donnybrook in March, they'll be more than good enough for Kingsholm or Twickenham in October 2015.

Are you plaing Junior Cup yourself? I'll bet my house no current junior cup player will be playing international rugby in 4 years time.
    Reasons: 1 Physical development 2 Physical Development we are a race that does not develop fully until late teens early twenties. In fact I'd wager very few would be on anything but development contracts maybe even none at all. Most playing under 20's with club sides a few very good ones starting AIL where they will either shine and go on or find their level!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

chupacabra wrote: »
    Luke McGrath has such immense potential. I think it will be a horses for courses situation with an intelligent coach simply picking the form half back pairing for their province.

So your also predicting a change in management?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Iron Hide wrote: »

1.Cian Healy (27)
    2. Jerry Flannery (36)
    3.Mike Ross (35)
    4.DOC (36)
    5.POC(35)
    6.SOB (28)
    7.David Wallace (39)
    8.Jamie Heaslip (31)
    9.TOL (31)
    10.ROG (38)
    11.Keith Earls (28)
    12.Gordon D'Arcy (35)
    13.BOD(36)
    14.Tommy Bowe (31)
    15.Rob Kearney (29)

16.Rory Best (33)
    17.John Hayes (41)
    18.Tony Buckley (35)
    19.Random Munster 2nd row/Blind side (31)
    20.Random Munster utility forward (33)
    21.Peter Stringer (37)
    22.David Humphreys (44)
    23.Girvan Dempsey (39)

Press Release "I felt after our dismal showing 4 years ago we really needed some extra experience in the side, form is temporary class is permanent and whatnot. BOD is in flying form after his recent super-gluing back together, Humphreys has only gained two stone and is now able to kick from the 5m line and Random Munster Utility Forward has been known to throw, lift AND catch the same lineout, whilst also packing down on the openside"

that brightened up my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Well considering that he already has a MOM award against Australia, I think most posters would expect him to be around the Irish test team in 4 years.

Are you. honestly talking about School's Junior Cup players being in with a good chance of being starting international locks in 4 years? The majority of them won't even be locks in 4 years when other players have hit their growth spurt.

i've seen JJ Hanrahan play twice at AIL level and for the irish u20's, i'm not really getting the hype about him.

Cpt_BlackBeard's Fun Fact of the Day:
    St.Munchins College have more past-pupils at the WC than any other Irish school. 6 in total if you include Damien Varley and George Clancy.

Leinster, with 14, have more players at the World Cup than any other professional team. And that with a coach who doesn't rate Fitzgerald or McLaughlin, or Ruddock...

bamboozle wrote: »
    i've seen JJ Hanrahan play twice at AIL level and for the irish u20's, i'm not really getting the hype about him.

I thought he was very good for the U20s when I saw him but, he really shone in the senior cup for Rockwell. Its not many (any really) players that get a Munster academy place in their first year out of school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I could see it being

1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Jamie Hagan
    4. Ian Nagle
    5. Steven Sykes
    6. Stephen Ferris
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jamie Heaslip

9. Conor Murray
    10. Johnathan Sexton
    11. Fionn Carr
    12. Luke Fitzgerald
    13. Nevin Spence
    14. Craig Gilroy
    15. Rob Kearney

16. Mike Sherry
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Devin Toner
    19. Dominic Ryan
    20. Paul Marshall
    21. James McKinney
    22. Fergus McFadden

(And if they swap it to 23 man squads, extra prop could be)
    23. Paddy McAllister

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Surprised by the amount of people picking Marshall.
    Surely there's better coming through in that position?

wixfjord wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of people picking Marshall.
    Surely there's better coming through in that position?

I can't see anyone and it's far too early to predict how Luke McGrath will develop

bamboozle wrote: »

Did you see him against England in the U20s? It was my first time seeing him and he looks the real deal. He'll be in the 2015 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bitta craic!

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe (another old WC squad?)
    13. J. Murphy
    12. McFadden
    11. Carr
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Heaslip
    07. Ryan
    06. SOB
    05. Dan Touhy
    04. Ian Nagle
    03. Hagen
    02. Strauss
    01. Healy

16. Sherry
    17. Wright
    18. Lock ??
    19. Ferris
    20. Cooney
    21. Keatley/Madigan (I'd edge Magidan.. but he's more of a utility... but Keatley is incredibly weak in defense. So hard to make that call now, gotta see what they're like in a few seasons)
    22. Trimble

Also in the squad: Spence, D. Kearney, Ross, Cronin, McAllister, Conway, F. Jones, Ruddock...

I think I'm missing a few forwards there.. But that's because I honestly can't think of any up and comers that've impressed me yet.

Edit: Leo Auva'a in there too? He'd be 29 and possibly Irish qualified? It'd help our depth.. But would be be playing at in the backrow or center?

There'll be other players who'll come through like SOB has since the last world cup.

Iron Hide wrote: »

1.Cian Healy (27)
    2. Jerry Flannery (36)
    3.Mike Ross (35)
    4.DOC (36)
    5.POC(35)
    6.SOB (28)
    7.David Wallace (39)
    8.Jamie Heaslip (31)
    9.TOL (31)
    10.ROG (38)
    11.Keith Earls (28)
    12.Gordon D'Arcy (35)
    13.BOD(36)
    14.Tommy Bowe (31)
    15.Rob Kearney (29)

16.Rory Best (33)

Its possible that in 2015 only a handful of those will be first choice players. I think Bowe, SOB and Healy. Ferris will be too IF he sorts out his knee problem but its not looking good for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

surely people did this after the debacle of 2007, anyone care to search for an equivalent thread to this one from four years ago to see how right/wrong people were?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

.ak wrote: »
    Bitta craic!

20. Cooney
    21. Keatley/Madigan (I'd edge Magidan.. but he's more of a utility... but Keatley is incredibly weak in defense. So hard to make that call now, gotta see what they're like in a few seasons)
    22. Trimble

center?

Simply not true. Keatley's defence is the number one aspect of his game. The best defensive out half in the Home Nations bar Wilkinson and Henson. But as we've seen with sénor O'Gara, it's not necessarily the most important attribute for an outside half back. Probably why he is being played at inside centre a lot since he's bulked up in his twenties.

His defense for Connacht was simple amazing. Anyone remember him in a static position putting down Elsom one on one by the try line 2 years back? Or his UFC-esqe pick up, run and throw of Jerry Collin to touch?

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »
    surely people did this after the debacle of 2007, anyone care to search for an equivalent thread to this one from four years ago to see how right/wrong people were?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54542127

Closest thing I can find is people projecting the next 6 Nations. Some people talking about 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement