Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

luke9311 wrote: »
    Yes i get that but if you read that i would have also said about how they performed over thoughs two seasons been consistently good you would think would have earned them a place they were pretty exceptional to watch both as a squad but also individualy as players. I wasnt necessarily pointing out that because your in the sct squad for 5th and 6th year earns you a a place lol... To be honest I'm more so talking here about them getting into sub academy by the way not academy direct as well lets face it we all know how hard it is to make that straight out of school not to mention leinster over recent years have put alot of value into their sub academy program and picked a few of their academy players from their sub academy over the years. Im guessing your saying u would rather see them in a few ail games and or u20 interpros before you see if there worthy of sub academy places? Interesting you say that i was always under the illusion that sub academy is picked well before ail season kicks off like its picked just before the interpros if not right after it :confused: ? I remember back a few years ago with players now at senior level in various provinces at senior level like tom daly, dave shanahan, eoghan masterson, steve crosbie (although no longer pro) were all leinsters sub academy for 12/13 season in and around august/September 12 well before ail even kicked off if i remember correctly?

But yeah be interesting to see who makes that sub academy squad this year, dont want to dwell to much on them michaels lads too much either tbh there were also some decent players on show in them newbridge and clongowes sides too from watching this season games...

sub academy is usually finalised after interpros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Don’t be a muppet lad and twist what I say! Yes I’m aware and fully agree it’s hard to get into and so it should be but given the players I listed above have been involved in their sct campaigns since 5th year and had two runs at it they would have earned it by now given the performances they put in the qualities they have shown over the last two seasons at senior cup level you would think Leinster would be mad to let them go elsewhere! Of course it does all come down do what positions Leinster go after. U would raise questions like in the long run over a space of more than one season do they need more front rowers and back rows or more backs etc etc

Leinster aren't letting them go elsewhere, i'm sure if they was a risk of them being poached leinster would offer them an academy contract to prevent it, if they rated the players. But these lads grow up dreaming of playing for leinster and the risk of them leaving is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

sub academy is usually finalised after interpros.

Sub academy is never "finalised" it's constantly changing throughout the season

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Sub academy is never "finalised" it's constantly changing throughout the season

Indeed - There'll be upwards of 50 players across U19 & U20 squads that are all part of a wider group being monitored and reviewed as potential academy prospects.

Clearly some are much closer to that level then others , but all are part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Any dates forthe 'A' games yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Any dates forthe 'A' games yet?
    These were dates posted while back but little has been said about them since.

12th September 2020 (PRO14 2019/20 Final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 1

19th September 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Quarter-Final Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 1

26th September 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Semi-Final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 2

3rd October 2020 (PRO14 2020/21 Rd 1 Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 2

10th October 2020 (PRO14 2020/21 Rd 2 Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 3

17th October 2020 (EPCR 2019/20 Final Weekend)

Provincial 7s Tournament Rd 3

12th December 2020 (EPCR 2020/21 Pool Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 4

16th January 2021 (EPCR 2020/21 Pool Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 5

3rd April 2021 (EPCR 2020/21 Quarter-final Weekend)

Provincial A Fixtures Rd 6

Munster Squad update today has some info on A games
    Munster and Connacht will play each other on September 19th/26th

A games confirmed for 19th in Galway and 26th in Thomond
    https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/09/...double-header/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

Stats for announced Ulster Academy players published:

Prop
    Callum Reid(21) - 6ft, 118kg

Hooker
    Tom Stewart(19) - 6ft, 100kg
    James McCormick(18) - 5'11, 103kg

Lock
    Cormac Izuchukwu(20) - 6'7, 114kg

Backrow
    Azur Allison(21) - 6'3, 106kg
    David McCann(20) - 6'4, 107kg
    Rueben Crothers(18) - 6'2, 95kg

Scrumhalf
    Lewis Finlay(20) - 5'6, 74kg
    Nathan Doak(18) - 6'1, 86kg

Outhalf
    Bruce Houston(21) - 6'4, 92kg

Centre
    Hayden Hyde(20) - 6'3, 97kg
    Ben Carson(18) - 6ft, 98kg

Back Three
    Ethan McIlroy(20) - N/A
    Aaron Sexton(20) - 6'2, 94kg
    Conor Rankin(19) - 6'1, 87kg

Did Chris Cosgrove get a Leinster Academy place out of school?

• Advertisement

Not announced as part of the new intake over the summer. Will assume he's sub academy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

no players joined the leinster academy straight from school last summer.

I wonder if he will be involved with leinster 7's side if they play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

bayern wrote: »
    no players joined the leinster academy straight from school last summer.

I wonder if he will be involved with leinster 7's side if they play this weekend.

Pretty sure it was IRFU policy that Sub Academy are outside of the ‘bubble’ and where just back training with clubs.

RuPi wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was IRFU policy that Sub Academy are outside of the ‘bubble’ and where just back training with clubs.

don't think leinster will have the players then to play 7's this weekend.

given clubs aren't training at the moment, I wonder if some leinster sub-academy players have entered a "bubble" to play 7's.

wait and see I guess.

No sign of this 7's tournament.

IRFU Academy 7s Squads, Round 2:

Ireland: Aaron O’Sullivan, Ian Fitzpatrick, Gavin Mullin, Peter Maher, Jack Kelly, Mark Roche, Billy Dardis, Hugo Lennox, Terry Kennedy, Duran Krummeck, Foster Horan, Jordan Conroy, Eanna Madden.

Connacht: Cathal Forde, Shane Jennings, Oran Mc Nulty, Sean O’Brien, Stephen Kerins, Conor Dean, Donnacha Byrne, Declan Adamson, Darragh Murray, Joshua Dunne, Oisin McCormack, Hubert Costello.

Leinster: John McKee, Joe McCarthy, Marcus Hanan, Jack Boyle, Lee Barron, Alex Soroka, Patrick Patterson, Niall Comerford, Charlie Tector, Marcus Kiely, Jamie Osborne, Chris Cosgrave, Karl Martin.

Munster: Paddy Kelly, Jack Daly, Alex Kendellen, Sean French, Daniel Okeke, Conor Moloney, Nick Greene, Aaron Leahy, Alan Flannery, Cian Hurley, Mark Donnelly.

Ulster: Cormac Izuchukwu, Azur Allison, Ben Carson, Marcus Rea, Greg Jones, David McCann, Hayden Hyde, Conor Rankin, Bruce Houston, Lewis Finlay, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston.

bold - under-20

sub academy players for Leinster and Munster.

Prop
    Marcus Hanan(Clane RFC/u21)
    Mark Donnelly(CBC Cor/u20)
    Jack Boyle(Michaels/u19)

Hooker
    Lee Barron(Michaels/u20)

Backrow
    Cian Hurley(CBC Cork/u21)
    Daniel Okeke(Ard Scoil Ris/u20)
    Nick Greene(Bandon/u19)
    Conor Moloney(Ennis/u19)

Outhalf
    Charlie Tector(Kilkenny/u19)

Centre
    Marcus Kiely(Newbridge/u20)
    Karl Martin(Boyne/u19)
    Alan Flannery(Rockwell/u20)

Back Three
    Jamie Osborne(Naas/u20)
    Chris Cosgrave(Michaels/u20)
    Aaron Leahy(CBC Cork/u20)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Prop
    Jack Boyle(Michaels/u19)

Hooker
    Lee Barron(Michaels/u20)

Backrow
    Nick Greene(Bandon/u19)
    Conor Moloney(Ennis/u19)

Outhalf

Centre
    Karl Martin(Boyne/u19)

Back Three
    Jamie Osborne(Naas/u20)

Is Ethan Coughlan not involved with Munster any more? Heard he was quite highly rated.

Is Ethan Coughlan not involved with Munster any more? Heard he was quite highly rated.

I think he is. Is quite young and could be injured.

Cian Whooley another notable sub academy player missing from Munster squad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think he is. Is quite young and could be injured.

Cian Whooley another notable sub academy player missing from Munster squad.

Ethan Coughlan is involved this weekend as far as I know.

And just a slight correction, Conor Moloney is actually still under 18 (18.5) he's still 17, turns 18 next month

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Ethan Coughlan is involved this weekend as far as I know.

And just a slight correction, Conor Moloney is actually still under 18 (18.5) he's still 17, turns 18 next month

If he turns 18 in 2020.. then he is u19 for this season when it comes to provincial/national team selection.

If he turns 18 in 2020.. then he is u19 for this season when it comes to provincial/national team selection.

Correct , but as he's inside the U18.5 Window and still technically a Youths player there had to be approvals gotten to allow him to play U20's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

Prop
    Jack Boyle(Michaels/u19)

Hooker
    Lee Barron(Michaels/u20)

Backrow
    Nick Greene(Bandon/u19)
    Conor Moloney(Ennis/u19)

Outhalf

Centre
    Karl Martin(Boyne/u19)

Back Three
    Jamie Osborne(Naas/u20)

Haven’t really been following many players since the senior cup was cut short.... will hickey I felt was a fine player for michaels in the last two seasons... any word on him is he in academy or what?

Haven’t really been following many players since the senior cup was cut short.... will hickey I felt was a fine player for michaels in the last two seasons... any word on him is he in academy or what?
    He isnt in the full academy.
    Many of those listed never played schools cup anyway....

He isnt in the full academy.
    Many of those listed never played schools cup anyway....

4 didn't.

sub-academy.. not sure why he isn't playing in this, could be injured.

Any results from sevens?

Any results from sevens?
    Look in 7s thread

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

sub-academy.. not sure why he isn't playing in this, could be injured.

Ah ok thanks. Think I had seen his name down for trinity for community series but didn’t know if he was in any age grade system and or academy/sub academy system or not.

• Advertisement

Ah ok thanks. Think I had seen his name down for trinity for community series but didn’t know if he was in any age grade system and or academy/sub academy system or not.

That was his older brother.

He is with UCD and in leinster sub academy.

Advertisement