Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather outlook for July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Accuweather says Rain/Periods of rain. The Oxegen facebook page quotes a UK site that says no rain. It's all a bit inaccurate this far out if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

df1985 wrote: »
    Any early indications for weather for oxegen next week?? i know the ground is soaked already regardless so wellies are a must but I dont mind mud once its not lashing down all weekend.

Looks like plenty of heavy thundery showers based on tonights models

still no sign of any high pressures floating in to give us anymore than a day or two of settled weather

looks like a brief break around the 15th but its very brief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

still no sign of any high pressures floating in to give us anymore than a day or two of settled weather

looks like a brief break around the 15th but its very brief

:confused: Havnt seen the ECM over the last few days then no?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Show us it please?:)

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »

show pls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I heard IWO mention heatwave for after mid july, is it still heading our way? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

GFS out to 8 days and ECMWF out to 10 days shows nothing really promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Am I the only one who isn't fussed if there is no heatwave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

don't want a ****ing heatwave just a summer ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A settled couple of weeks would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

duckysauce wrote: »
    don't want a ****ing heatwave just a summer ,

Next week looking ok now, though it does go sharply downhill again for next weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

johngalway wrote: »
    A settled couple of weeks would be nice.

fat chance this is ireland, mate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

July looks like being Dry for next week then Wet next weekend and early the next week and then maybe dry again after the midweek of that week (if you follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I like the good mix of weather we have in this country. Last weekend was fine in many areas. Then we had plenty of heavy downpours during the week. Now we enter a fine spell for the next 5/6 days before hopefully we get more heavy rain or showers for next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Surely not?! How about a Spanish plume and the breakdown marked with dramatic t-storms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just want settled dry sunny weather in the early 20s - nothing special.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Surely not?! How about a Spanish plume and the breakdown marked with dramatic t-storms!

when you put it that way, bring on a heatwave!:)

It has been 10 years since I experienced proper thunderstorms like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I can remember one great thunderstorm around 10 years ago, still easily stands out as the best I've ever seen. Must have lasted at least 2 hours with proper torrential rain and hail, lots of fork lightning and strikes including one that hit a pier about 20 metres from me. I was only 12 or 13 at the time so didnt really appreciate it but would love to see something like that again.

Not overly bothered with a heatwave at this stage but a few proper sunny days wouldnt go amiss, I know its been a decent week in the east but here is been dull and grey all week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

when you put it that way, bring on a heatwave!:)

It has been 10 years since I experienced proper thunderstorms like that.

Seen a tremendous thunderstorm in the East Coast of USA few years ago, Unreal! Don't think I'l ever see the like in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    I can remember one great thunderstorm around 10 years ago, still easily stands out as the best I've ever seen. Must have lasted at least 2 hours with proper torrential rain and hail, lots of fork lightning and strikes including one that hit a pier about 20 metres from me. I was only 12 or 13 at the time so didnt really appreciate it but would love to see something like that again.

Not overly bothered with a heatwave at this stage but a few proper sunny days wouldnt go amiss, I know its been a decent week in the east but here is been dull and grey all week

are we possibly thinking of the same band of thunderstorms. the storm i recall was sometime in May. When was yours?

Pangea wrote: »
    Seen a tremendous thunderstorm in the East Coast of USA few years ago, Unreal! Don't think I'l ever see the like in Ireland.

Apparently there was spectacular thunderstorms in 1985 across the eastern half of Ireland. Also during May 1986, there was said to be decent thunderstorms activity in the west and northwest. I can vaguely recollect the storm activity of May 1986. There was loud thunder, but the lightning wasn't anything like I witnessed in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Apparently there was spectacular thunderstorms in 1985 across the eastern half of Ireland. Also during May 1986, there was said to be decent thunderstorms activity in the west and northwest. I can vaguely recollect the storm activity of May 1986. There was loud thunder, but the lightning wasn't anything like I witnessed in 2001

Remember he one in 1985. Savage... Loads of dead crows around the place from the hail that fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

are we possibly thinking of the same band of thunderstorms. the storm i recall was sometime in May. When was yours?

Nah the one I remember was during the Summer, probably around this time of the year in mid July. Reason I remember it so well is we were swimming at the time, it was a lovely sunny day then out of nowhere it started absolutely pouring down hail and everyone had to run for shelter in a nearby restaurant. The road outside turned into a river and lightning struck the pier outside. Fun times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Apparently there was spectacular thunderstorms in 1985 across the eastern half of Ireland.
    There sure was, Thursday night/Friday morning July 25th/26th 1985. The best I've witnessed in Ireland, though I was a 10 year old scared to death. That night started my obsession with weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Su Campu wrote: »
    There sure was, Thursday night/Friday morning July 25th/26th 1985. The best I've witnessed in Ireland, though I was a 10 year old scared to death. That night started my obsession with weather.

Yes, that was the best/worse ever I have experienced, it was like a never ending nightmare as it went on for hour after hour after hour, must have lasted near 12 hours or more? and my mother was near scared to death, she got herself into a right state, I don't know how many rosaries we had to say that evening...
    Looking back just glad my father, sister and I survived it, bringing in hay from the fields as it started, lighting bolts hitting the field we were in and quite close several times, thought we were going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The 1986 event killed 8 cattle on my uncle's farm, not as bad as the storms of 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Min wrote: »

The 1986 event killed 8 cattle on my uncle's farm, not as bad as the storms of 1985.

often thought those storms of 85 and 86 were exaggereated in my memory by the passing years but damn they were bad. Never saw thunder storms sustain over such a period. Sleep was impossible those nights all one could do was huddle in the dark in the kitchen candlelight counting the intervals hoping it was getting further away but secretly hoping it would get worse.

I lived in America later and experiened some serious thunder there but for sustained menace those storms of my youth take some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I am not sure if its the same storm or not but I remember the forked lightning being particularly spectacular. My aunt couldn't get me in from outside, I was having too much fun hopping around (underneath a massive electricity pole!! Darwin awards stuff i know :o).

She dashed out from the house and grabbed me under her arm and carried me into the house, me protesting loudly all the way. The thunder was so loud it was making the windows vibrate like mental. You had to shout to be heard over it! It was MAGIC!! (especially when you are young and have no concept of danger). The lighning was multicoloured and i remember thinking it was like a massive show of fireworks shooting through the sky! Thinking back now, it was like something designed using CGI.

Locally several peoples homes were struck, there were a few small fires. Lots of powerlines were hit and one guy was on the phone at the time, lightning struck the line, blasted the phone from his hand (completely melted it) , deafened him in that ear, shot through his body, exited through the sole of his foot and knocked him unconscious. He was so lucky to escape with his life. The lightning is believed to have bounced around the kitchen wreaking things till it found an escape through the chimney. :eek: Found this out years later, and gained a whole new respect for lighning.

The power was out in that area of Donegal for some days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Jez guys talk about going off the beaten track, I thought this thread was about weather outlook for July not going back in time to other storms. :D:D

Advertisement