Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather outlook for July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Look whos talking

Sure just cut out a picture of a sun stick it to your window and turn up the central heating ........ and you have your very own heat wave .... :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A very pleasant 19 degrees and hazy sunshine in Athlone this morning. More of the same tomorrow I think, then downhill from there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Would anyone be willing to give a rough forecast for next week and the week after. I've four friends coming from Germany for two weeks and they are big into hillwalking. We are trying to plan a couple of things, they intend doing a bit in Wicklow, Connemara and Cork/Kerry. I know its hit and miss but it would be good to know if there is much rain expected.

Thanks for any help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cooler with more frequent showers/downpours I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well generally MT is the forecast so go to his forecast thread.

I would say myself that next week will be unsettled and showery but the end of the month which encompasses some of your period in question looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eskimocat wrote: »
    I am not sure if its the same storm or not but I remember the forked lightning being particularly spectacular. My aunt couldn't get me in from outside, I was having too much fun hopping around (underneath a massive electricity pole!! Darwin awards stuff i know :o).

She dashed out from the house and grabbed me under her arm and carried me into the house, me protesting loudly all the way. The thunder was so loud it was making the windows vibrate like mental. You had to shout to be heard over it! It was MAGIC!! (especially when you are young and have no concept of danger). The lighning was multicoloured and i remember thinking it was like a massive show of fireworks shooting through the sky! Thinking back now, it was like something designed using CGI.

Locally several peoples homes were struck, there were a few small fires. Lots of powerlines were hit and one guy was on the phone at the time, lightning struck the line, blasted the phone from his hand (completely melted it) , deafened him in that ear, shot through his body, exited through the sole of his foot and knocked him unconscious. He was so lucky to escape with his life. The lightning is believed to have bounced around the kitchen wreaking things till it found an escape through the chimney. :eek: Found this out years later, and gained a whole new respect for lighning.

The power was out in that area of Donegal for some days.

Eskimocat, you have a talent for describing events very vividly. You are a good storyteller. Not to put you on the spot or anything:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Aerohead wrote: »
    Jez guys talk about going off the beaten track, I thought this thread was about weather outlook for July not going back in time to other storms. :D:D

Indeed!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=296970 is the link for July 25th 1985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Quite nice today! Image at about 2.20pm (BST).

166947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OKish day today was in co clare, spanish point.....mildly warm hazy sunshine i taught it would be better tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It was splittin' the rocks here in Waterford, beautiful sunny day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Does anyone have an ECM run chart for 31st July please?Im heading down to Killarney for final day of the Irish Open and MT has been promising nice weather around then.Any chart for around then greatly appreciated.The charts go as far as 20 days in advance yes?

Aiel wrote: »
    Does anyone have an ECM run chart for 31st July please?Im heading down to Killarney for final day of the Irish Open and MT has been promising nice weather around then.Any chart for around then greatly appreciated.The charts go as far as 20 days in advance yes?

gfs-0-372.png?6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The next five or six days will be rather unpleasant but now we have the ECM showing rapid improvement near the end of its ten-day run, similar to the better half of the recent GFS output. Models are not locked in yet, but I would say the odds favour a warmer spell in the last week of July, perhaps even approaching actual "heat" as opposed to warmth which we have already achieved several times this year (granted half of them were in April). :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

July at this stage looks az if it will also end up below average. The next few ECMs wil lbe interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I made a special effort to enjoy the few good days this week in anticipation of an early Autumn - tonights models confirm my strategy with the rest of july looking rather grim as the bane of the our summer remains firmly in place. Hard to have much hope in August eithier given its abymal efforts for nearly a decade now sad.gif

July at this stage looks az if it will also end up below average. The next few ECMs wil lbe interesting.

yeah its not going to recover - time has run out for the models to show an improvement to bring the average temp up to normal

Is it me or does July actually seem cooler on average than June???
    :eek:

Frost in August me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Frost in August me thinks!
    Was there not frost in June? Could swear I heard that in the weather on rte radio one iirc

torrentum wrote: »
    Was there not frost in June? Could swear I heard that in the weather on rte radio one iirc

that there was

1816 year without summer anomaly - just comparing Ireland with this summer for the fun - this summer didnt appear in 1816 due to a volcanic winter and low solar activity combined so not really comparable to today nevertheless for Ireland if we had a summer with an average of -1.5c below norm then it would qualify for a year without summer!

1816_summer.png

June 2011 from Met.ie
    Mean temperatures this month were lower than normal for June, with temperatures across the country being around 1°C below average
    http://met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

We are more than halfway there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The next five or six days will be rather unpleasant but now we have the ECM showing rapid improvement near the end of its ten-day run, similar to the better half of the recent GFS output. Models are not locked in yet, but I would say the odds favour a warmer spell in the last week of July, perhaps even approaching actual "heat" as opposed to warmth which we have already achieved several times this year (granted half of them were in April). :cool:

GFS looking good as well now, from next friday onwards. Dry and mostly sunny with areas getting temps in the mid to high 20's range. A few more runs needed to get a clearer idea, but looking great at the moment.

Duiske wrote: »
    GFS looking good as well now, from next friday onwards. Dry and mostly sunny with areas getting temps in the mid to high 20's range. A few more runs needed to get a clearer idea, but looking great at the moment.

The King of Wishful Thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

fryup wrote: »
    The King of Wishful Thinking

Eh, no. Its what the 12z GFS was showing yesterday evening. Have a look yourself and tell us what you think. GFS Charts.

they said on rte weather @9.00 last evening that today would be mostly sunny..

well it wasn't!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

I don't think we saw the sun all day.... and the roof at work was leaking.
    Another bullseye by the Met (not).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Cork was sunny, wasn't it?

It's funny how people always say MET are wrong, yet they listen in to the forecast anyways!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Nabber wrote: »
    Cork was sunny, wasn't it?

It's funny how people always say MET are wrong, yet they listen in to the forecast anyways!?!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It was sunny here most of the last two days. God forbid some part of Ireland suffers mis-forecast, Met Eireann are immdeiately branded wrong for the whole country. They got your area wrong which is no way in their fault. Ireland has an super unpredictable climate....the sooner people come to terms with this, the better.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0722/weather.html

No heatwave, but warm weather ahead anyway..lets hope the high isnt too dirty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I wonder how the monthly mean will be affected by the forthcoming rise in temperature,

and ditto for today:cool:

bout time met eireann got their act together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Always has seemed to me that the Met Eireann forecast is meant for the Dublin Metropolitian area. Down in Cork and Kerry due to the island nature and 150 mile separation the weather is often entirely different anyway but rather than be confusing the senior civil servants who pay Met Eireann salaries, they deliver the consistent message as per what they are told of Global Warming, Sunny today in Dublin.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement