Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seafood

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Chowder

Say it right!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fish fingers for me please. Also fresh cod from the chipper is something i love, especially on a fresh day. I love eating chowder, smoked haddock and brown bread. Barbecue shellfish like lobster or languistine with chilli prawns and crustaceans and melted pepper butter halved onto fresh vienna rolls sprinkled with olive oil. Salted mackeral smoked and sage and eaten cold on pitta bread with fresh tomatoes finely diced and iceberg lettuce and tarter sauce. Prawn cocktail, mountains of it washed down with ice cold glasses of Riesling and Austrian gewurztrammer(advice on spelling required), sauted anchovies and mussels sprinkled with cheddar cheese and black pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Such nonsense, there are loads of places in Ireland that serve fresh fish. If you served gone off fish people would be sick.
    are you saying that as a non fish eater I should go on a survey of fish restaurants or fancy restaurants which serve fish to see which ones are mildly to moderately stinky ?

Em, no. I go to normal restaurants and hotels and whenever fish is served it stinks - especially chowder which is on another level altogether.
    My parents are at an age now that they find fish a lighter dish (and for the old teeth, easier to process!) so at every family function they inevitably go for it and I enjoy the fragrant waft of whetever they are having on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Seafood is amazing and never smells bad when cooked, I feel sorry for those missing out on some of the best food out there. Salmon cooked perfectly is nicer then Pork, Steak, Chicken or Beef... and seafood is very good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

are you saying that as a non fish eater I should go on a survey of fish restaurants or fancy restaurants which serve fish to see which ones are mildly to moderately stinky ?

Em, no. I go to normal restaurants and hotels and whenever fish is served it stinks - especially chowder which is on another level altogether.
    My parents are at an age now that they find fish a lighter dish (and for the old teeth, easier to process!) so at every family function they inevitably go for it and I enjoy the fragrant waft of whetever they are having on the day.

No. I am saying that you haven't a notion of what you are talking about. You sound like a child, just because you don't like the smell of fish doesn't mean its not fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Shared this feast this evening with a bird I’m riding at the moment. Had a dozen oysters to start as well. Feel very sorry for people who don’t like this sort of food.

BBEE5-ABB-BDDA-4-AB2-98-B4-6978-A2751490.jpg
    C3102776-BED0-4-D25-B621-5-D73-FD29-B5-F0.jpg
    I have exported 1000's of tonnes of mussels over the past 25 years and i can tell you the ones featured here are pure dirt . If we sent them to Holland or Belgium they would be sent back . If you ever get a chance try and get a bag of mussels between july[ish] and December when they are at their best from the boats in either Carlingford or Wexford and you will see a huge difference . As with most fish in this country the best shellfish are Exported .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Its so bizarre how many irish people wont eat seafood. Mackerel and hake are my fave. I asked in the food forum but just got tumbleweeds but does anyone know where to buy European prawns in dublin because all they sell in supermarkets are prawns from slave boats in India or environment wrecking farms on reclaimed land in central America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Over 100million Japanese can't be all wrong.

:mad: Come on man - here we go again pretending the Icelandics don't exist. It's 101 million who are not wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Anchovies in a salad is the bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Its so bizarre how many irish people wont eat seafood. Mackerel and hake are my fave. I asked in the food forum but just got tumbleweeds but does anyone know where to buy European prawns in dublin because all they sell in supermarkets are prawns from slave boats in India or environment wrecking farms on reclaimed land in central America?

Barbequed mackerel taste amazing, but as a fish they have a strong smell and can start to whiff very quickly. I can understand how possibly back in the day (without refrigeration, etc) if people only experienced them when they were off it would really out them off it.
    I only has Hake once, really enjoyed. I remember old fellas talking about catching them back in the day but I never saw any being caught, they must have been severely over fished.

Have you tried the shops in howth. I have eaten them in Octopussy restaurant which I think is supplied by Dorans fishshop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland's aversion to seafood will mystify me til my dying day.

Ireland's aversion to seafood will mystify me til my dying day.

Maybe there is a taboo going back to experiences of rotten fish or something. I remember in Jared Diamond's book Collapse, he had a section on a failed viking colony in Iceland or Greenland where the people starved but they didn't seem to have fish as part of their diet and they were in an area with access to salmon, trout and arctic char in just the rivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ipso wrote: »
    Maybe there is a taboo going back to experiences of rotten fish or something. I remember in Jared Diamond's book Collapse, he had a section on a failed viking colony in Iceland or Greenland where the people starved but they didn't seem to have fish as part of their diet and they were in an area with access to salmon, trout and arctic char in just the rivers.
    yeah there must have been something that turned people away from it because there is plenty of archaeology showing people used to eat huge amount of seafood in ireland in ancient times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Your better off catching it yourself. A few times a week I fish for brown trout in Killaloe.I'd never eat anything caught in the Shannon though.

• Advertisement

Have you tried the shops in howth. I have eaten them in Octopussy restaurant which I think is supplied by Dorans fishshop

I have, the prawns are all from india etc. There are no prawns in Irish waters but I was hoping I might find some from Europe even.

Barbequed mackerel taste amazing, but as a fish they have a strong smell and can start to whiff very quickly. I can understand how possibly back in the day (without refrigeration, etc) if people only experienced them when they were off it would really out them off it.
    I only has Hake once, really enjoyed. I remember old fellas talking about catching them back in the day but I never saw any being caught, they must have been severely over fished.

Hake is everywhere now and cheap. I think in the past all anyone would eat is cod but now hake is far more plentiful. It's a much nicer fish I think, lovely texture.

I have, the prawns are all from india etc. There are no prawns in Irish waters but I was hoping I might find some from Europe even.
    Are dublin bay prawns not from Ireland?

It's just another name for langoustine. But that's not a prawn anyway! They can still be from anywhere though.

plenty of prawns in Irish waters . Lots of east coast boats fish them as do boats in Dingle , Rossaveal , and Galway .
    your right about the hake though , readily available and beautiful to eat , way ahead of cod which is over rated .Even the poor relation the haddock is a beautiful fish to eat and not that expensive
    langoustine is a prawn

• Advertisement

It's just another name for langoustine. But that's not a prawn anyway! They can still be from anywhere though.
    Oh ok. I thought langoustine was a type if prawn.

plenty of prawns in Irish waters . Lots of east coast boats fish them as do boats in Dingle , Rossaveal , and Galway .
    your right about the hake though , readily available and beautiful to eat , way ahead of cod which is over rated .Even the poor relation the haddock is a beautiful fish to eat and not that expensive
    langoustine is a prawn

Sorry yeah I meant we don't have the soft shelled ones that most people call prawns. This is a good article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/do-your-homework-on-prawns-before-you-eat-them-1.3113623

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of our premium fish is being exported to markets who pay a higher price for it. Crab meat is a particular one - we consider it the poor relation of lobster, but Asians consider brown hard shell crab to one of the great delicacies. So all the huge claws are being exported and we are left with the miserable little efforts that don’t make the grade.

Sorry yeah I meant we don't have the soft shelled ones that most people call prawns. This is a good article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/do-your-homework-on-prawns-before-you-eat-them-1.3113623
    no bother . some of that farmed crap is injected with ''fillers'' before packing . Some of the best prawns in the world are caught on the porcupine bank off the west coast , they are frozen and packed at sea and as with all the good stuff we produce , they are straight to the continent

no bother . some of that farmed crap is injected with ''fillers'' before packing . Some of the best prawns in the world are caught on the porcupine bank off the west coast , they are frozen and packed at sea and as with all the good stuff we produce , they are straight to the continent

So what they're catching there are the hard shell mini lobster langoustine Dublin Bay Prawns things? It's all so confusing, I worked in the US in kitchens and prawns there were huge and called shrimp, then crayfish I think are mini lobsters like DBP, also in New Zealand they call lobster Crayfish. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,253 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We do have loads of crayfish in rivers. Unfortunately they are an invasive species and not safe for eating.
    http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/projects/invasive-species/crayfish-plague/

Dublin Bay Prawns aka langoustines are really small lobsters. Tasty but with hard shells more difficult to peel - attack open.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Whatever about all that other stuff, i wouldn't touch farmed salmon for many reasons,
    The poor conditions the fish are kept in,
    The toxicins
    The poor quality of meat
    And the detrimental effects it is having on wild salmon and sea trout.
    All the pens at sea should be shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We do have loads of crayfish in rivers. Unfortunately they are an invasive species and not safe for eating.

Dublin Bay Prawns aka langoustines are really small lobsters. Tasty but with hard shells more difficult to peel - attack open.
    We do have a native spiecies of crayfish in ireland, we also have an invasive species from north America which is pushing out our native species and there is also a crayfish plaque which is killing the native species also.

Yeah i don't eat salmon any more, there's feck all left in the wild and the farmed stuff seems awful. It takes something like 10kg of other fish to create 1kg of salmon. Steer clear.

So what they're catching there are the hard shell mini lobster langoustine Dublin Bay Prawns things? It's all so confusing, I worked in the US in kitchens and prawns there were huge and called shrimp, then crayfish I think are mini lobsters like DBP, also in New Zealand they call lobster Crayfish. Ffs.
    don't know a lot about that crap from india but it could be that the shell doesn't harden as they grow them so fast . Shrimp is a different critter all together just as lobster and cray's are different things but in some countries crayfish are called lobsters . would wreck your head all right
    If your ever on the east or south coast during the summer go down some pier are get a few ''spider crab'' claws off someone . Streets ahead of any other shellfish and they are worth f..k all until you try and buy them in spain

• Advertisement

no they're not

don't know a lot about that crap from india but it could be that the shell doesn't harden as they grow them so fast . Shrimp is a different critter all together just as lobster and cray's are different things but in some countries crayfish are called lobsters . would wreck your head all right
    If your ever on the east or south coast during the summer go down some pier are get a few ''spider crab'' claws off someone . Streets ahead of any other shellfish and they are worth f..k all until you try and buy them in spain

I remember being in Wexford as a kid and my uncle bought some huge crabs down at the pier and we cooked them and they were delicious, not sure what they were though

Your better off catching it yourself. A few times a week I fish for brown trout in Killaloe.I'd never eat anything caught in the Shannon though.

Highly ambiguous post redneck reject.

The last time I checked Killaloe is on the Shannon?

Why would you not eat it ? Does the same apply for anything you are catching on the Barrow or in the slaney for example?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Highly ambiguous post redneck reject.

The last time I checked Killaloe is on the Shannon?

Why would you not eat it ? Does the same apply for anything you are catching on the Barrow or in the slaney for example?

The Shannon in Limerick is much more polluted than what you would find in Killaloe is what I meant.

gw80 wrote: »
    We do have a native spiecies of crayfish in ireland, we also have an invasive species from north America which is pushing out our native species and there is also a crayfish plaque which is killing the native species also.

Yes I think the native species is protected and so not for the table?
    And the invasive species are carrying the plague and so also we cant just eliminate them by eating them?

Yes I think the native species is protected and so not for the table?
    And the invasive species are carrying the plague and so also we cant just eliminate them by eating them?

Yes your crayfish is protected. Which is a shame because once in a while I love a proper gumbo,heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I love paella, but I can't eat the prawns. CAN'T eat them, unless they're the frozen ones that are already peeled/shelled or whatever. I can't seem to get the prawns out of their shells properly.

Someone mentioned Shrimps in the US. In the 1980's I visited family in California and one night they brought me out 'for shrimp'. I picked one up and bit it, nearly lost a tooth!! They were huge and I didn't know you had to get them out of their swimsuits first:o . And I've never subsequently learned how to do it properly. Also I don't know the difference between prawns and langoustines.

If I make seafood now, I use mussels, bits of cod/hake etc in a sauce.

Lastly: I recently discovered the delights of pan-fried fish, after watching Nevin Maguire on Youtube. Mrs Nick always coats the fish in seasoned flour, which I hate. Now, she never turns her nose up at my version (whoops, apologies Nevin) but if she gets at the pan, out comes the flour.

Monkfish is lovely. But ugly. Savage teeth.

There seems to be inverse relationship between ugliness and flavour.

Dave Barry refuses to eat lobster and calls them the cockroaches of the sea!

Monkfish is lovely. But ugly. Savage teeth.

There seems to be inverse relationship between ugliness and flavour.

Dave Barry refuses to eat lobster and calls them the cockroaches of the sea!

The French use Gurnard as a base for a stew called bouillabaisse which is supposed to be lovely, only ever heard of Gurnards being used as bait for lobster.

• Advertisement

What I think is delicious is sea bream, I think it's from the med I've only had it on holidays you don't see it here

The French use Gurnard as a base for a stew called bouillabaisse which is supposed to be lovely, only ever heard of Gurnards being used as bait for lobster.

I prefer chowder on a cold irish day to hot bouillabaisse for lunch in sunny provence... Tasty though. Reminded me of lobster bisque base but I found attacking the bony fish in liquid challenging.

General tip, saw this on Rachel Allen RTE show.
    There is a lot of flavour in the heads of langoustines, prawns etc
    Dont just bin the heads or feed to cat.
    Put them into a blender then strainer for a sauce or bisque base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

While I can understand that some food is putting people off, hake was mentioned here and it's one of those fishes that have barely any smell at all. Very clean and nice fish. Like most white meat fish.

Octopus on the other hand I tried and just no. Had it tried in three versions, carpaccio, just boiled pieces in pasta and another that I don't even remember and no way to convince me.

Just no!

Hake, cod etc is nice, but very plain imo and for those who are not into fish is a good start.

The Shannon in Limerick is much more polluted than what you would find in Killaloe is what I meant.

Thanks for answering Redneck.

So I am safe to go fishing around Terryglass or further up the Derg ?

What about pass Birdhill and down towards Parteen? Where do you reckon the main source of the pollution is, around limerick city?

The characteristic “fishy” smell that you get from seafood is from trimethylamine - precisely the same chemical produced by the bacteria responsible for bacterial vaginosis.

Seafood and dirty pussies therefore share quite literally an identical smell.
    Smell and taste are the most closely related senses and share much overlap.

Enjoy yourselves folks but it’s not for me.

(And before anyone asks, YES I have tried many many different kinds of fresh fish prepared many many different ways, on many many separate occasions.
    I simply do not like the stuff - it makes me gag).

Advertisement