Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't you donating blood?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I'm English, your anti-Brit Blood transfusion service won't take my blood.
    It's not just the English they hate. They also won't take my Irish blood because I once lived in a different part of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

People have a right to bodily autonomy and to decide what is done with their bodies. Not only would the ill thought out and heavy handed tactics cause a legal ****storm, but would destroy the good natured intent of giving blood in the first place.

Up to yourself whether you donate or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

tcawley29 wrote: »
    The rampant recreational drug use would have an impact on this too as I believe you have to wait 6 months after your last dose to donate. That rules out a lot of the youth today
    That's crap. I took every drug recreational drug available back in the day and was told I'm fine to donate. Anyone who's shared needles can't donate which I never did as I never used needles. Anyone else is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Feb 14th 2018 my daughter took ill and was brought to Beaumont Hospital with internal bleeding, an artery had ruptured. The blood loss resulted in a cardiac arrest.

Blood donations saved her life.

She received so much type O Negative that the hospital sent out a text alert for O Neg people to donate.. To those people and the doctors & nurses of Beaumont Hospita I'm eternally grateful.

As a diabetic I can't donate, but to anyone here who can ~ thank you, you really do give the gift of life.

Even typing this now and remembering the day chokes me up.

I'm O Neg and donate regularly.

It's hearing stories like this that will make sure I never stop as long as I'm allowed. Knowing that my blood will help a baby or young child stay alive. Especially when I have a toddler of my own.

Glad everything worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I don't donate for the thanks but as my mother is and was in hospital a lot over the years and received donations i feel its only right to contribute some back. It's only takes an hour or 2 overall and who knows maybe one day I might need a donation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've donated 50 times.
    Last week, I was at a presentation night, to acknowledge those of us who'd donated.
    Over 80 who'd given 50 units and over a dozen who'd given 100 donations!

A woman gave a short speech at it.
    She'd required blood transfusions during treatment for childhood cancer.
    In recent years, she'd a difficult labour on the birth of twins, again requiring a transfusion.
    And one of her twin boys was diagnosed with cancer last year and has received multiple blood product transfusions during his ongoing treatment.

So yeah, I donate, and hope to give many more while I'm eligible and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am a tattoo artist, and they oughtn't take my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

Elemonator wrote: »
    Up to yourself whether you donate or not.

As it would be after these proposals go through. Except you'd pay hefty tax, and be the object of scorn. I wouldn't be above requiring employers to be notified of said status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

38 donations since 2004. Had to miss a few as I was in Haiti on honeymoon.(for about 2 hours). B negative, I think less than 2% have it. They always ring and ask me to come in. It's a good thing to do if you can. My mother being sick years ago is what spurred me on to do it.
    Plus there's free crisps and pencils.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lived in UK during bse so can't give here.
    had a transfusion 4 years ago so can't give on those grounds either.

but very grateful for getting what I got when I needed it so name and shame away but I can't give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not allowed, as I lived in the UK during the proscribed period. My living there also excludes my wife from donating.

I find it quite frustrating, given the regular the calls for more donors, and I'd be happy to donate if allowed.

I'm obviously not expert enough to judge, but as a non-expert it seems like they've gone too far the other way to make up for past failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I would do it more often only the hours the clinic is open are poxy, these kind of services should be open on Saturday and Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Excluding those with medical conditions, every Irish adult should be donating blood. It's a disgrace that so many don't.

What's your excuse?

I think the government should start a campaign to shame people into doing it. I'm not against (provided it was set up right) a public name-and-shame list of those who don't donate and haven't proven that they can't/or given a proper excuse.

Because I donate platelets, you are not permitted to donate both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm type 1 diabetic, so I cant donate any more.

I was a regular donor for years. You get a great sense of accomplishment, and loads of free food. Whats not to like? If you can donate, please do. There really is no excuse not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Gay – plain ol’ homosexuality.

Lifetime ban is gone now, but there’s still a year of abstinence needed, which ain’t happening.

They’re also barring people who take PrEP from donating these days, which seems odd considering it’s literally a medication to prevent HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I’m not eligible as I’m under the weight threshold. And I’m not a fan of needles either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's crap. I took every drug recreational drug available back in the day and was told I'm fine to donate. Anyone who's shared needles can't donate which I never did as I never used needles. Anyone else is fine.
    Yep, I remember bashfully admitting to having had a joint the night before my 5th / 6th donation and the Nurse laughing when I asked if that was a problem. "Anyone in need of a transfusion could probably benefit from a bit of THC!" was her response at the time.

I used to donate 4-6 times a year as my office at the time was handily located for the clinic in Stillorgan and work were happy to pay for a taxi to send a few of us over every couple of months.

Since having a family and moving jobs a few times I haven't been doing it though I must start again. This thread (Makikomi's posts in particular) have given me a push to look into my options for donating again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What's your excuse?

None of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

None of your business.

Fine. Pay up and have your name published for all to see.

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Hey I'm not arguing the fact as I found it strange myself.

After a quick google I see that it is not the case but I definitely remember seeing that on paperwork when I was donating in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Qrt wrote: »
    Gay – plain ol’ homosexuality.

Lifetime ban is gone now, but there’s still a year of abstinence needed, which ain’t happening.

They’re also barring people who take PrEP from donating these days, which seems odd considering it’s literally a medication to prevent HIV.

How can you take a year off being gay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I do think they should take a look at the 12 months that MSM have to wait before donating. In the UK they reduced that to three months and are now looking at scrapping it altogether. Instead they are looking at risqué sexual practices in both the straight and gay community as a means of removing potential donors with STDs.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

No, how’s your father, Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I lived in England till 1981 so that just puts me in the time frame to be not allowed to donate blood. I would love to be able to donate and fair play to all of you that can and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm English. They dont like mine/me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Low iron

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're attitude here comes across as selfish. You may not have the time but some patients do not have much time.

Please consider donating. The IBTS site has a quick quiz to see if you're eligable to donate.

I'm out of the house about 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and work in a Business Park on the edge of town with pretty much nothing in or around it. Weekends are similarly busy most of the time.

Selfish or not, I'm not likely to go hunting down a mobile unit or whatever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

He meant a year off sex as opposed to a year off being gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Also I think this should be extended to other areas.

If you aren't an organ donor, then more tax while you're alive and 99.9% tax on any inheritance you plan to pass along. And being named and shamed.

can be got around by insuring there is no inheritance.+ one will be dead anyway so naming won't be shaming.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ush1 wrote:
    Harder, must try harder.

At least he has moved on from trolling about pensions destroying the earth.

Advertisement