Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Lone Ranger cartoon on during the week at teatime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

branie2 wrote: »
    The Lone Ranger, Champion the Wonder Horse, Zorro and Flash Gordon on TV in the morning during Summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

We used to watch the live version on BBC, the only TV station at that time.We had a 17" black and white Bush Tv from Drages store on Grafton Street, paid for on the drip over three years. The final price was £202, a small fortune. The Da had also rigged up a short wave aerial that looked for all the world like a sweeps's brush, which meant we could tune into AFN, the U.S. Forces Radio network. This allowed us to listen to the original radio series plus Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and Dragnet and the great comedy shows featuring Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante etc. The Yanks really had radio variety off to a tee, it was like you were there.
    It always seemed to be Winter, maybe because they had a season or maybe just foggy memories but I recall sitting around the fire with my brothers, totally absorbed in the goodies ridding the world of the baddies, how times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Edgware wrote: »
    The only way to get a container of badly needed building materials etc was to "sort" the foreman who would then get the crane driver to hoist the container out.

One of the unions had control of the slot machines on the ferries. When the English 50 p and the Irish 50p were the same size whoever was emptying the machines swopped English 50 p coins for Irish one and making 10% on the transaction in the bank.
    The tricks going on down the docks were legendary.
    One lad was known as a diesel fitter
    "Thes'ill fit Mary thes'ill fit Tommy"

My father-in-law is a retired docker and the tricks were still going well into the 90's if not beyond. The speakeasy they had going in one of the containers was only shut after one of the lads drove a tug off the dock. Despite being drunk on the job and destroying an extremely expensive piece of kit he wasn't fired: the union wouldn't have it! The stuff they got up to down there made the lads in the second season of The Wire look like rank amateurs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Ha'penny sweets.

They were mingin' as far as I recall. lol

• Advertisement

The Wuzzles

The Care Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Supergran

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Banana man

• Advertisement

Danger Bay

Captain Planet and the Planeteers. The power is yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You got your haircut at home by ma. You only got to go to the barbers for your confirmation.

You got your haircut at home by ma. You only got to go to the barbers for your confirmation.

Yup. Then in 2nd year I got my brother to cut it. He gave me a blade 1 all over. I got suspended for a week.

Hand me downs. I have two older brothers so I always got the dregs. Add to that two older male cousins and you can imagine I rarely went clothes shopping. Maybe that's why I never really liked clothes shopping :confused:

Good Afternoon with Thelma Mansfield

I remember when the frozen Goodfellas pizzas came out. Game changer! Prior to that you had the pizza delis at the supermarkets or regular crust frozen pizzas but Goodfellas stepped it up a few notches.

Some time back in the 80s, Don Conroy presented a TV series on the life of Jesus, with his own drawings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Good Afternoon with Thelma Mansfield
    Please, this is not the place to brag about your sex-life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Skipping off down the road to neighbours house to watch 1966 World Cup.
    Black and white t.v.
    Pele, Beckenbaur, Eusabio.

• Advertisement

We only had our birthday parties at home, not at play centres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

iamstop wrote: »
    I remember when the frozen Goodfellas pizzas came out. Game changer! Prior to that you had the pizza delis at the supermarkets or regular crust frozen pizzas but Goodfellas stepped it up a few notches.

And the Cheese Supreme, not being cheese apposed a substance close to molten lava.

The amount of times those pizzas burnt my mouth is just not worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

iamstop wrote: »

I used to love those pizzas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I used to love those pizzas :D

Used to get the San Marco pizza slices there was good tang off the sauce.

Would they still taste the same....

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Would they still taste the same....
    Probably, but your tastebuds will have changed since then.

They were delicious!

Cornetto ads set in Venice

Open the door
    Throw down the keys!

90s and 00s fashions

Xworx, Petro Motion and Eclipse Jeans
    Naff Naff jackets
    Umbro jumpers
    Blue Nike air Max
    Tear off tracksuit trousers
    Lads with undercuts and curtain fringes
    Rattails
    Shaved heads and a really long fringe slicked back.
    The bang o Brylcreem. The red one.
    Tommy Hilfiger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Back in my day we shook hands . Went to bars where you would try to get very close to women.

• Advertisement

Budget Travel Brochures with the bikini ladies

Advertisement