Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember getting great slagging for it at first but by the end of the year about a third of the class were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Spraoi, Sugradh and Siamsa Christmas annuals.
    You used to get them on the last day of school before the holidays, comics, dot to dot, colouring in, quizzes etc.
    I used to be so super-duper excited to get a new annual, try explaining that to the kids now, they would think you are cracked.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

In secondary we had a 'tuck shop' where you could get the usual sweets, crisps, soft drinks etc but you could get hot water for 5p too.
    I used to bring in a either a pot noodle or a cuppa soup and some bread.
    That was mostly 1st and second year.
    3rd year I would either cycle home for lunch or scrape enough money to go to the chipper. The potato cakes were the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Spraoi, Sugradh and Siamsa Christmas annuals.
    You used to get them on the last day of school before the holidays, comics, dot to dot, colouring in, quizzes etc.
    I used to be so super-duper excited to get a new annual, try explaining that to the kids now, they would think you are cracked.:rolleyes:

Would you believe the kids still get them in school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

...people had better health as they didn't eat the meat from sickly animals raised in intensive, industrialised, factory farm conditions.

• Advertisement

auspicious wrote: »
    ...people had better health as they didn't eat the meat from sickly animals raised in intensive, industrialised, factory farm conditions.

I dunno about that. I'm veggie so I I'm not in any way for the industrialized factory farms.

Check this out:
    https://www.boredpanda.com/past-young-people-look-older/

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Would you believe the kids still get them in school
    Really! I thought they stopped them years ago.
    Would the kids still get really excited about them or was I just a strange child?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

iamstop wrote: »
    I dunno about that. I'm veggie so I I'm not in any way for the industrialized factory farms.

Check this out:
    https://www.boredpanda.com/past-young-people-look-older/

That's a good page alright lol. Looks to me like mostly Americans. Factory farms did originate over there, firstly as a result of WW2 efforts then more substantially in the '60s. Not here until much recently though.
    Those photos could be down to genetics and such but of course if you put a moustache on anyone they'll always look older. Including Liz Taylor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Really! I thought they stopped them years ago.
    Would the kids still get really excited about them or was I just a strange child?:o

Probably just a strange child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

in the 1950s lots of people were virtually vegetarian but not by choice,meat was a luxury. Sunday lunch in my house would normally be a cheap cut of mutton or bacon or else liver and onions or maybe a brisket. No pork or beef or chicken, in fact it amazes me how cheap these things are today. Truth is though, we didn't miss them once we had a full belly.
    Growing up close to the sea, fish was a big part of our diet, either we bought it from travelling vendors or we caught it ourselves, fishing off the pier at Howth or the beach in Sutton, mackerel was the main variety but now and again we'd get a sea bass or a pollock. The main white fish like whiting or cod were deep sea varieties but in winter you might be lucky off the Bailey.
    Beef cattle was mostly exported, they used to run the cattle down the N.C. Rd from the markets at Hanlon's Corner to holding pens near the Point, from where they'd be loaded on the B&I ferry to Liverpool.It would be like a scene from the old Wild West on market day with handlers on bicycles or just running alongside to keep them on the right road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Chipsticks and penny golf ball chewing gums.

10 penny bags.

Hankeys that you washed, that is correct, reusable handkerchiefs.

Reusable nappies. I can't remember wearing one but I changed a few when I was a teenager. Babies shat proper loads then, big runny and colourful.

Plastic soccer balls, for street kicking. Get one for a few quid in Lifestyle.

When you played a 3 or a 5 wood the actual head on the club was wooden. True story.

Mr Freezes.

Walkey Talkies.

I still remember when you'd randomly have people standing on the roof of their 2 storey terraced house, after climbing across nearly all the roofs, shouting down to someone in the garden "is that it?!" whilst randomly shaking the TV ariel about the place and "No nothing yet" being echoed back up to them by someone in the garden, staring at the TV in through the window. :D

Never see that anymore. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

PommieBast wrote: »
    One picture doing the rounds not that long ago was the 3.5" floppy with the tagline "daddy 3D-printed the save icon"

Think I missed that one! But yes, the command for saving to floppy was like a Save button; did it regularly in case of power cuts, something working loose etc. That AT (with 5 1/4" drive) finally became unusable in 2000. But only because the monitor died, so before dismantling the system I was able to print out my latest drafts etc and save them to floppy with a series of (extra carefully typed!) Dos commands. The motherboard was obviously still ok and I managed to save it from landfill by giving it to a printing firm whose AT-based system was still going strong, And the floppy and a spare went to the British Library's digital conservation department! (Well, when I turned on its Windows 98SE replacement with a modem, it did feel like time travel). Still using the case as a shelf somewhere.

That was my second computer; first was a Sinclair QL, whose only save command was direct to a miniature tape cassette called a microdrive. (I named our male Siamese kitten Mic, because his growl was just like writing to/reading from it).

It's wonderful that IT devices can now be used by anyone straight away, but back then it was great discovering programming (using as few bytes as possible, of course!).

Marhay70 wrote: »
    in the 1950s lots of people were virtually vegetarian but not by choice,meat was a luxury. Sunday lunch in my house would normally be a cheap cut of mutton or bacon or else liver and onions or maybe a brisket. No pork or beef or chicken, in fact it amazes me how cheap these things are today. Truth is though, we didn't miss them once we had a full belly.
    Growing up close to the sea, fish was a big part of our diet, either we bought it from travelling vendors or we caught it ourselves, fishing off the pier at Howth or the beach in Sutton, mackerel was the main variety but now and again we'd get a sea bass or a pollock. The main white fish like whiting or cod were deep sea varieties but in winter you might be lucky off the Bailey.
    Beef cattle was mostly exported, they used to run the cattle down the N.C. Rd from the markets at Hanlon's Corner to holding pens near the Point, from where they'd be loaded on the B&I ferry to Liverpool.It would be like a scene from the old Wild West on market day with handlers on bicycles or just running alongside to keep them on the right road.
    There were local Dublin lads from Sheriff St/North Wall who got part time jobs as
    1. "Hooshters" i.e. they used hoosh the cattle on to the ships
    2. "Breasters" The dockers wouldnt allow any lorry on to the docks unless there was a drivers mate on the lorry so the "breasters" would wait at the entrance to the port and the lorry drivers would pick them up, pay them five or ten pounds, to be in the cab of the lorryas they entered the port to pick up or unload cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Mr Perri crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

branie2 wrote: »
    Mr Perri crisps

Yeah Perri crisps are gone alright. Also, Sam Spuds, used to be made up in Donegal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can you still get nic nacks and French fries ?

Can definitely get rancheros and nik nacks, though the latter aren’t nearly what they used to be. They’re more light and puffy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Can you still get mini sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Can you still get google?

Buying fags one at a time from the local small shop.
    Not forgetting a six penny wafer. A slice of ice cream between two wafers

Female teachers were terrifying old battleaxes/nuns for the most part.
    Teachers now are all much younger and much more attractive. If I was in school now I would never be able to concentrate, or stand up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Edgware wrote: »
    There were local Dublin lads from Sheriff St/North Wall who got part time jobs as
    1. "Hooshters" i.e. they used hoosh the cattle on to the ships
    2. "Breasters" The dockers wouldnt allow any lorry on to the docks unless there was a drivers mate on the lorry so the "breasters" would wait at the entrance to the port and the lorry drivers would pick them up, pay them five or ten pounds, to be in the cab of the lorryas they entered the port to pick up or unload cargo.

Another pick up point was Annesley Bridge, my brother used to get casual work as a breaster. He worked as a helper on the Esso tankers which operated out of Alexandra Basin and usually they were laid off at age 18 as they would have had to pay them more but he got to know a lot of the inside tricks of the docks. I'd be very surprised if they were paid £10 though, my father only earned slightly more than that for a week and he was a top tradesman.
    I used to go down regularly to the notorious "Stack R" to pick up special orders arriving from the UK for my boss and the extortion that was in evidence from the dockers had to be seen to be believed. I was always given money to pay off the guy who brought out our goods, if you didn't give them a few bob your company name was put on a blacklist and you might have to wait all day or even come back a second day so it was cheaper to pay them off. One definite no-no was to be seen talking, however innocently, to the Harbour Police, that could get you blackballed for life.

Female teachers were terrifying old battleaxes/nuns for the most part.
    Teachers now are all much younger and much more attractive. If I was in school now I would never be able to concentrate, or stand up :o

Not all nuns, though

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Virgin on Aston Quay looking at condoms and laughing as a child.

HMV, where I bought the most of my Blu-rays and DVDs

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Another pick up point was Annesley Bridge, my brother used to get casual work as a breaster. He worked as a helper on the Esso tankers which operated out of Alexandra Basin and usually they were laid off at age 18 as they would have had to pay them more but he got to know a lot of the inside tricks of the docks. I'd be very surprised if they were paid £10 though, my father only earned slightly more than that for a week and he was a top tradesman.
    I used to go down regularly to the notorious "Stack R" to pick up special orders arriving from the UK for my boss and the extortion that was in evidence from the dockers had to be seen to be believed. I was always given money to pay off the guy who brought out our goods, if you didn't give them a few bob your company name was put on a blacklist and you might have to wait all day or even come back a second day so it was cheaper to pay them off. One definite no-no was to be seen talking, however innocently, to the Harbour Police, that could get you blackballed for life.

The only way to get a container of badly needed building materials etc was to "sort" the foreman who would then get the crane driver to hoist the container out.

One of the unions had control of the slot machines on the ferries. When the English 50 p and the Irish 50p were the same size whoever was emptying the machines swopped English 50 p coins for Irish one and making 10% on the transaction in the bank.
    The tricks going on down the docks were legendary.
    One lad was known as a diesel fitter
    "Thes'ill fit Mary thes'ill fit Tommy"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

We went the pub

• Advertisement

Manc_Red wrote: »
    We went the pub

6 tins o' Scrumpy Jack for a 5er and a bag of Manhattan popcorn down in Kenilworth before stumbling over to Bective disco to enjoy the music selection and try to get your hole.
    Rinse and repeat next week.

Advertisement