Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sure but timetables are somewhat meaningless for those not in school

The way he was explaining it is that classes in his school are ranked

Teachers 1 + 2 should have roughly the same covered and students are similar ability

If teacher 1 has a LC class and 2 doesn't then 2 will do classes for other years for teacher 1

It's the same class just sent to more students

Yes its very tough logistically wise but at least they're planning on how to get back teaching

Sure the classes are not bother, I can teach online all day. The vast majority of the work involved in remote learning is in setting, differentiating work, chasing up those not in attendance and then the real pain, correcting work and giving meaningful feedback to allow students to progress. Otherwise we could have one teacher sitting tin the department teaching volcanos and that would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Show me where the bashing is?

People are allowed to have an opinion which differs to teachers. I spent long enough in school not being allowed to have my own opinion. Doesn't change I suppose.

You seem to have issues.......Teachers are doing their best...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sure but timetables are somewhat meaningless for those not in school

The way he was explaining it is that classes in his school are ranked

Teachers 1 + 2 should have roughly the same covered and students are similar ability

If teacher 1 has a LC class and 2 doesn't then 2 will do classes for other years for teacher 1

It's the same class just sent to more students

Yes its very tough logistically wise but at least they're planning on how to get back teaching

Yes, great that they are planning.

The reason I see them running into problems with this is because we tried something similar last time and it was not successful at all.

Issues we encountered were:

Feedback from students/parents
    Different teaching styles made an already difficult-to-adjust-to situation tougher
    Some classes had covered material that others hadn't so some were learning new stuff but others weren't at times
    Wanted their own teacher
    Very distracting - too many in the class

Feedback from teachers
    Completely clinical - just lecturing. Nobody asking any questions so youd no idea if anyone was getting it or even if they were there as cameras off.
    Didn't know a lot of the students so couldn't tailor towards their ability or needs
    With language - no possibility for oral practice
    Merging 2 classes into one wasnt saving 40mins, it was wasting 40mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Or you could spend a day on the front line yourself (and one of these teachers here has been a nurse before, so take a seat) facing 50-100 students and their households 3 times a week in small overcrowded classrooms. With people wearing thin cotton facemasks and a more virulent strain circulating, with 8,000 cases a day, facing into the worst crisis of our time.

Bet you'd be scared.

But why would you be going into small overcrowded classrooms when there is so much space that can be utilised now, schools operating at a greatly reduced capacity surely there is scope to carry out classes in a safer environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I spent long enough in school not being allowed to have my own opinion. Doesn't change I suppose.

Really??

When did you go to school? The 1930s? Give over.

• Advertisement

I spent long enough in school not being allowed to have my own opinion. Doesn't change I suppose.

And there you have it folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Either can teachers though judging by what went on last year.

At the start of a never before seen pandemic in this lifetime, no idea how long it was to last, with no platforms in place or training having happened? You can and should give some grace. I'm sure you've been given that at some point in your own life, as everyone deserves.

And lots of teachers did teach online from home; some were better equipped than others to do this, some schools are more ahead with using apps and with principles more talented and forward thinking than others.

We're now in the 2nd lockdown during the school term and schools were directed to have an online platform ready to go in the event of shutdown, with teachers and students trained. It's very different now. But I'm sure you knew that, you just wanted to have a dig anyway didn't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

But why would you be going into small overcrowded classrooms when there is so much space that can be utilised now, schools operating at a greatly reduced capacity surely there is scope to carry out classes in a safer environment?

Because the other 5 years also need to be thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I contacted the INTO with my concerns around the SEN classes reopening.

They want emails with our concerns so please send your emails as soon as you can.

Strength in numbers and all that.

Don't want to put email address here, it's on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Unless you mean to break down walls to make classes bigger, then i'm not sure how the bigger spaces are available. And then to break down walls, you need to ensure that's safe so the roof doesn't get the students before the virus does.

Or perhaps you propose making class numbers smaller? Where would all the extra teachers come from if the others are busy teaching years 1-5?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

As in, knock out some of the walls in between rooms? I genuinely don't understand your point.

Unless you mean to break down walls to make classes bigger, then i'm not sure how the bigger spaces are available. And then to break down walls, you need to ensure that's safe so the roof doesn't get the students before the virus does.

Or perhaps you propose making class numbers smaller? Where would all the extra teachers come from if the others are busy teaching years 1-5?

Breaking :pac: news

Thousand of department-issued sledgehammers to be delivered to schools around the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Either can teachers though judging by what went on last year.

Brilliant.

Send on results from your comprehensive survey into school experience during the last lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I contacted the INTO with my concerns around the SEN classes reopening.

They want emails with our concerns so please send your emails as soon as you can.

Strength in numbers and all that.

Don't want to put email address here, it's on their site.

Why?

Special needs kids need these classes, they are vital to their routine and progression. 6 months without school saw a big regression in my son.

rob316 wrote: »
    Why?

I hope you're sitting down but.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Why?

Special needs kids need these classes, they are vital to their routine and progression. 6 months without school saw a big regression in my son.

SN's teachers need their health and their lives. And their families need them too.

In the years looking back god willing I will never forget living through the selfishness of others during this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Why?

I can still have concerns about going into a small classroom with 2 other adults and 6 children with the numbers being the highest they have ever been and the latest strain being more contagious. Also, Covid hospital admissions are at the highest ever level.

Also, 95% of my colleagues and pupil population are safe at home but it's apparently safe enough for us to saunder in everyday.

All I want is for this decision to be reviewed in the short term.

I had no issue going back to school when numbers were way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Almost 10% of cases confirmed in since the start of this pandemic were confirmed yesterday with no contacts being tested. We were still **** down in May with a few hundred cases a day, this is the Department avoiding making logistical changes to the LC to make their lives easier and to push the pressure onto schools..............again.

The Department didn't make schools safe for the first 3/4 months of the school year, principals, teachers, caretakers, cleaners, students and parents did. None of them were fully briefed or consulted on this. It's unbelievably disrespectful. I hope the teachers that Norma taught with for years will make that known to her. Actions speak far louder than words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Iv'e just watched an hour long documentary on the effects of long covid on several people in the US. Two of the subjects are in their 20's and it's completely ruined their life. It seems to be a complete toss up gamble if you catch this as to the level of damage your body will endure. Opening schools next Monday is complete madness and i honestly can see why so many teachers are nervous. I have absolutely no agenda here either way as my daughter is well past school going age and im not employed by the department of education for the record.

I still can't wrap my head around the logic or thinking behind having the majority of pp staff back in on Monday, its scary negligent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stateofyou wrote: »
    SN's teachers need their health and their lives. And their families need them too.

In the years looking back god willing I will never forget living through the selfishness of others during this time.

Are your lives worth anymore than the front-line healthcare workers? Your environment you are been asked to work in has far less risk than those. I respect teachers but you are an essential public service just like healthcare, emergency services and police.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just leave this here, extract of letter to Stephen Donnelly from CMO

https://twitter.com/PQuinn1980/status/1347160150516273152

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So apparently the dail have just confirmed they will only sit 2 days a week, one of the reasons being that they aren’t sure in regards to the impact of this new variant of the disease etc

But schools, be grand sure, work away.

I mean surely even the teacher haters must be asking questions here in fairness

Are your lives worth anymore than the front-line healthcare workers? Your environment you are been asked to work in has far less risk than those. I respect teachers but you are an essential public service just like healthcare, emergency services and police.

Do you actually believe, right now in our current climate, schools are as important as hospitals or emergency services

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

the kelt wrote: »
    So apparently the dail have just confirmed they will only sit 2 days a week, one of the reasons being that they aren’t sure in regards to the impact of this new variant of the disease etc

But schools, be grand sure, work away.

I mean surely even the teacher haters must be asking questions here in fairness

Why can't they sit the Dail in schools?

And I'll volunteer to collect them in a bus, because apparently thats safe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Schools may reopen for LC classes on Monday but realistically how many students will turn up? Fairly safe to say that not all of them will anyway.

E36Ross wrote: »
    Why can't they sit the Dail in schools?

And I'll volunteer to collect them in a bus, because apparently thats safe!

No need, if we just transfer the dail to be under the department of education, they will receive Norma's blessings, and a short prayer of, "schools are safe, praise be unto Norma"

Wife back to wfh since yesterday. Getting a good reminder here of the last lockdown minding 2 kids under age of 8.

Getting thro the day with nobody injured is a victory. We'll have to do schoolwork from their primary school from next Monday.

3 trips to school, leaving my wife working from home and minding the kids at the same time from next week as well.

Prerecorded stuff, done at night, will be manageable but, jesus, doing live lessons with 2 kids running around the place. An argument for our zoom meeting on Friday with a principal who has no kids.

Good God :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

Point out where any Gardaí, doctors, nurses etc.. are being placed in a room with circa 25 other people from different households for 6 hrs with just a piece of cloth over their mouth and nose to protect them.

With present rate of transmission its almost a guarantee one of the students from the 25 will be carrying the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭combat14

i rang my DP this morning and he struggled having a five minute conversation on the phone with his two kids in the background .. going to be fun for parents who have to try and teach like that, let alone come in to teach almost adults i mean leaving certs in school

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement