Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

pwurple wrote: »
    State of you is right.

Ah you're too kind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Coronavirus: 310 more cases as school detections rise by 60% (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-310-more-cases-as-school-detections-rise-by-60-1.4432849

Heres some bedtime reading for you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see the boys school in Claremorris was advised today by the public health team to remain open despite a fair few positive cases in the school and a text to that effect was sent to parents this afternoon. Parents told by principal that is they decide to keep their kids at home that they have their full support.

Emergency board meeting this evening and parents informed that school will be closed with immediate effect until January the 6th due to the deteriorating covid situation in the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see the boys school in Claremorris was advised today by the public health team to remain open despite a fair few positive cases in the school and a text to that effect was sent to parents this afternoon. Parents told by principal that is they decide to keep their kids at home that they have their full support.

Emergency board meeting this evening and parents informed that school will be closed with immediate effect until January the 6th due to the deteriorating covid situation in the school.

Good swift action taken by the school.

Weldone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus even Sweden has buckled.

This is the same measure they took in March - schools closed for those aged over 15. And their infection rate is at least 9 times our infection rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Good swift action taken by the school.

Weldone.

Be interesting to see what blowback there is from the DES.

The Kerry school at Halloween comes to mind as the DES don't like to be challenged. Also for a school to be so publicly going against and ignoring the public health team screams of a lack of confidence in what they have been informed and told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Be interesting to see what blowback there is from the DES.

The Kerry school at Halloween comes to mind as the DES don't like to be challenged. Also for a school to be so publicly going against and ignoring the public health team screams of a lack of confidence in what they have been informed and told.

any link to this story ? It’ll be interesting to see des reaction / media presentation of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It has been outlined on this very thread that this interpretation of "unforseen school closures" is wrong. And to you in particular Lillyfae.

This circular is in relation to things such as snow days, no electricity, no running water, flooded schools etc.

It is not for use in rearranging department set school holidays.

It has been made pertinently clear over the last few months that the dept will not tolerate individual principals making public health decisions even if there is a live outbreak in their school.

So they're hardly going to say shur belt ahead and close there if ye want to on health grounds just make the days up whenever ye can.

You'll forgive me if I choose to ignore people on the internet telling me how they "interpret" a document when it's there in black and white that it can be done, without interpretation. Especially this year. Unless you are talking about just getting extra days off, which I am not. Here it is AGAIN, there is clearly flexibility in it. That's not an interpretation, that is what it says: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0005_2020.pdf
    In cases where a school has been affected by extensive or prolonged
    school closures (e.g. due to weather, etc.) and where the school authority
    considers that the above measures will not adequately address the loss in
    tuition involved, the school authority may, having established what
    arrangements for school transport may or may not be feasible if other
    schools are remaining closed, decide to implement either or both of the
    following contingency arrangements:

Weather is AN EXAMPLE. It's not the only reason a school may need/want to close.

Was also a very weird choice to stop on Tuesday the 22nd and go back on Wednesday the 6th. Stop on a Friday and go back on a Monday, makes way more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lillyfae wrote: »
    You'll forgive me if I choose to ignore people on the internet telling me how they "interpret" a document when it's there in black and white that it can be done, without interpretation. Especially this year. Unless you are talking about just getting extra days off, which I am not. Here it is AGAIN, there is clearly flexibility in it. That's not an interpretation, that is what it says: https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0005_2020.pdf

Weather is AN EXAMPLE. It's not the only reason a school may need/want to close.

Was also a very weird choice to stop on Tuesday the 22nd and go back on Wednesday the 6th. Stop on a Friday and go back on a Monday, makes way more sense.

Principals do not have the autonomy that you appear to think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I am sure she has discussed this indepth with the teachers in her family, strange they didnt tell her this.

• Advertisement

I think at this stage it’s best to leave it be it has been explained a number of times to the poster in question who refuses to acknowledge that she doesn't know what she is talking about in this instant.
    However a clearer example of someone who does not work in the Irish education system but KNOWS exactly the finer details of how it’s run ( those pesky teachers who actually work there haven’t a clue ) and is well able to state opinion as facts I’ve never seen. It reminds me of Walkgate - of how walking the entire school around the locality in the pissing rain equates to education.

I sincerely believe that if you all spent less time "interpreting" circulars with your colleagues and principals, your unions would be far more effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I sincerely believe that if you all spent less time "interpreting" circulars with your colleagues and principals, your unions would be far more effective.

Oh, and you're not spending your time interpreting something and that's nothing got to do with you? Seriously, who are you to judge what others do in a profession you've never worked in and know nothing about on any real level, in a country you're not living in and in a system that's nothing to do with your kids. Many would love to have your confidence, if that's what you call it.

I don't understand why you are so defensive. It's a fact that principals don't have the autonomy that you think they have and your interpretation of the circular is wrong. No big deal, but you are incorrect about this.

If you're a public sector employee then all of the information about employment and employer is freely available. As are the numbers of infections in teachers now.

Schools are relatively safe. No need to close, although I'm sure we'll be here again before midterm break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

It takes a delusionally self-assured type of mindset for a lay person to argue with professionals in their field of expertise, and refuse to listen to the decades of knowledge and experience of the qualified insiders. To claim to interpret a formal document better than thousands of professionals have done in the real world is really something else.

If you're a public sector employee then all of the information about employment and employer is freely available. As are the numbers of infections in teachers now.

Schools are relatively safe. No need to close, although I'm sure we'll be here again before midterm break.

It is interesting that you are incorrect on your interpretation of the circulars but wont accept that from the experts who work in the area. Not the first time you are incorrect and havent addressed it and probably not the last.

I don't understand why you are so defensive. It's a fact that principals don't have the autonomy that you think they have and your interpretation of the circular is wrong. No big deal, but you are incorrect about this.

Nothing defensive. Again, I'm not interpreting it- I'm reading it. I've posted it here for everyone else to read, for transparency. Are you saying it doesn't say what is written there?

My guess is that principals copy pasted the calendar directly into their own school planning for the year and didn't even question it.

Nothing defensive. Again, I'm not interpreting it- I'm reading it. I've posted it here for everyone else to read, for transparency. Are you saying it doesn't say what is written there?

My guess is that principals copy pasted the calendar directly into their own school planning for the year and didn't even question it.

This is priceless, now principals are mindless bots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

khalessi wrote: »
    This is priceless, now principals are mindless bots.

I'm convinced this is a windup at this stage.

Isn't it? :eek:

• Advertisement

It is interesting that you are incorrect on your interpretation of the circulars but wont accept that from the experts who work in the area. Not the first time you are incorrect and havent addressed it and probably not the last.

It’s mind boggling ! it has been made perfectly clear to principals since Sep that no unilateral action on behalf of schools will be allowed. The role of PH in determining the covid response in each school and the limits of what the school can and can not do has been made abundantly clear -yet a circular which was issued pre pre covid and has not been updated since covid which is abundantly clear , to those WORKING in the field, as to what it relates to is being used to justify an opinion which is incorrect. It might be better if the poster spent less time interpreting the circular and accepted that it does not cover the present situation.

The act of reading a text involves comprehending and interpretation. I'm saying you are wrong. I don't know why you are choosing this rock to perish on. The school calandar is standardised and published every three years with a little wiggle room around croke park hours/starting a day or two early to 'bank' those days for later in the year (i think primary have a bit more flexibility around summer term midterms but I'm not sure).

The circular you are referring to, specifically around school closures does not apply to covid as proven by the school in Kerry.

I don't know why you can't won't accept this.

The school calandar is standardised and published every three years with a little wiggle room around croke park hours/starting a day or two early to 'bank' those days for later in the year (i think primary have a bit more flexibility around summer term midterms but I'm not sure).

But this is exactly what I'm referring to :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm beginning to believe we've been had by a troll for months now if this is really your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Blondini wrote: »
    It takes a delusionally self-assured type of mindset for a lay person to argue with professionals in their field of expertise, and refuse to listen to the decades of knowledge and experience of the qualified insiders.

That is a really interesting statement and one I agree with. But have teachers on here not suggested over and over how NPHET should do their job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Since we all agree that we should listen to experts this debate is unnecessary. Health experts think school year should be as planned so lets listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    That is a really interesting statement and one I agree with. But have teachers on here not suggested over and over how NPHET should do their job?

Nphet have made recommendations, govt have ignored them. Who have made recommendations, govt has ignored them. That's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Nphet have made recommendations, govt have ignored them. Who have made recommendations, govt has ignored them. That's the issue.

NPHET have not made any recommendations about schools that the government have gone against that I am aware of. The recent discussion is about whether schools should shut early, look at what Germany is doing etc. Our own experts have not made a recommendation about closing early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    NPHET have not made any recommendations about schools that the government have gone against that I am aware of. The recent discussion is about whether schools should shut early, look at what Germany is doing etc. Our own experts have not made a recommendation about closing early.

Yes but ours are not the right type of experts...

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Since we all agree that we should listen to experts this debate is unnecessary. Health experts think school year should be as planned so lets listen to them.

Thank you, for your interpretation of my statement which refered to teachers and the circulars but sure you are welcome not to post any more based on the above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement