Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

TheChizler wrote: »
    Left some feedback on AIB's Facebook page asking where these coffee shops are. Loads of articles mention them but no specifics. I'll post if they get back to me.

The > €30 limit is great, however I can't imagine many shops having terminals that allow payment in this situation. Up to recently Lidl still had the old €15 limit.

Spotted this on twitter.

https://twitter.com/RoisinGlynn/status/806478915766194176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

lawred2 wrote: »
    balls to that...

Exactly my thinking, especially when I'm a BOI customer anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

The "AIB offer" also works with KBC Android Pay linked payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got this from their reps on FB

403346.jpg
    403347.jpg

Edit: Oops, _Puma_ got there before me, in non-gigantic form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Be interesting to try a payment over 30 euro using this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The list of shops accepting it is a bit misleading, I think that's just a list of those actively promoting it. As far as I can see you can use it anywhere you'd use a normal contactless card.

I've just paid for some cat food in MaxiZoo no problem at all. It was under €30 though, so no idea how things would have gone if it had been over that limit. I'd imagine the shops might be a bit unused to customers being able to use contactless for amounts over €30, so could take a while to be accepted.

It gives you a good summary of the transaction with date and time stamp, plus location, and even gives you a link to tap on to open the AIB Mobile app from the Android Pay app to confirm the payment has gone through. In my case it appeared in Pending transactions pretty much immediately.

Also discovered you can also register loyalty cards like Applegreen Rewards and Tesco Clubcard. Rather oddly you can scan the barcode on the Applegreen card, but have to type the number in by hand for the Tesco one ... strange!

EDIT: What's weirder is that in the Applegreen case, it displays the barcode on the screen so you can just scan it (it won't work contactless I assume?) but the Tesco one just displays the number which is of no use to anyone as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

If the transaction is < €30, the transaction will go through if your phone is locked but woke up from 'Sleep'. It will also go through if you have your phone unlocked and are in the app.

If the transaction is > €30, if you present to tap your phone while it's locked but woke from 'Sleep' the POS will prompt you for another option of verification (Fingerprint, Passcode or Swipecode)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Mig wrote: »
    If the transaction is > €30, if you present to tap your phone while it's locked but woke from 'Sleep' the POS will prompt you for another option of verification (Fingerprint, Passcode or Swipecode)
    The AIB website also says that ...

Android Pay transactions above €30 may not be supported by some merchant terminals

So just a matter of trying it I guess.

On the loyalty card point I made above, it would seem from Googling it that, in theory at least, the terminal would detect the loyalty card and apply it automatically to the purchase but I'll believe that when I see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Alun wrote: »
    The AIB website also says that ...

Android Pay transactions above €30 may not be supported by some merchant terminals

So just a matter of trying it I guess.

On the loyalty card point I made above, it would seem from Googling it that, in theory at least, the terminal would detect the loyalty card and apply it automatically to the purchase but I'll believe that when I see it.
    I work for a PSP. It'll be down to what type of terminals the merchant has (Make of terminal, Comms and hardware capabilites)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Google Pay app not working on OPO... unsure if it's because it's rooted or because it's running a custom ROM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It works fine on my Oneplus One (unrooted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Basq wrote: »
    Google Pay app not working on OPO... unsure if it's because it's rooted or because it's running a custom ROM.
    Vanilla one+ three working with android pay. Maybe it's the version of android?

maximoose wrote: »
    It works fine on my Oneplus One (unrooted)
    Yeah, probably due to root so.

Not sure if I could live without my ResurrectionROM so might pass on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Gonna try on my unrooted OPO later this evening. App installed itself a few days ago and cards added no problem. The nerd in me is looking forward to trying it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It says it won't work on rooted phones in app description.

"Android Pay is available on all NFC-enabled, non-rooted Android devices (KitKat 4.4+)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has anyone got some sort of app that will freeze the touch on the screen for 10 seconds.

The merchant today tried to tap my phone, but it's an edge screen and they're almost guaranteed to end up closing the app or opening something else accidentally when they take it.

(I have the same problem with using it as a boarding card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

errlloyd wrote: »
    Has anyone got some sort of app that will freeze the touch on the screen for 10 seconds.

The merchant today tried to tap my phone, but it's an edge screen and they're almost guaranteed to end up closing the app or opening something else accidentally when they take it.

Ehhh... don't give them the phone, they should bring you the device! Treat it same as card. Additionally what if they drop your phone who pays!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seen as UB just made the change to contactless cards I am guessing it will be about five years before this is available. I am wondering if it's worth moving to AIB or KBC?

B of I may attempt to launch new pens for cheque books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

B of I may attempt to launch new pens for cheque books.

Yeah but they are tethered so can only work within 2 foot of the holder :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Was in Barcelona last week and the app popped up on my OnePlus 3 so I assumed it was just a Catalan thing but sure enough it launch here and I'm delighted. I always pay with Contactless anyway but my inner nerd is going crazy about being able to pay with my phone!

The future eh? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

errlloyd wrote: »

Is it not supposed to work even with the Android pay app closed? Just turn on screen and tap to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Why don't you use an alternative provider if you want NFC payments via the phone, there are a lot of them around.

Sure it's not as easy as Androidpay as for some you need to prepay (Boon. or LeuPay) via SEPA or credit card (later with cost) or which uses the new next day SEPA Direct Debit (SEQR) but if you really want to use your phone they work just fine for shops.

Also KBC allows you to open an account online via an App, so no excuse there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

long_b wrote:
    I wonder are there controls in place to stop just anyone with physical access to your card from adding it to their Pay app?

KBC send the confirmation code to your registered phone so yes.
    lawred2 wrote:
    KBC's mobile and internet banking has come on leaps and bounds. It was beyond atrocious when I joined in 2014.

Yes i remember giving out stink about it. I still can't understand why they don't allow notifications to appear on your phone if any money is credited or deposited to your account though. You can get a notification that someone has posted a cute cat video to your Facebook but have to go into the app to see if anyone had spent your money.
    Patww79 wrote:

KBC are the bank of you :)

Patww79 wrote: »

They have 15 branches in ROI

https://www.kbc.ie/Contact-Us

And a Talk to forum here :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1628

marcbrophy wrote: »

But all of those 15 hubs are cashless! You can not operate Cash with KBC, just to make you aware of that.

Does not take away from their service and offerings, but if you are still a cash pay in person they might not be for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Does anyone know if the app will work if you have a protective case around your phone?

Looking at the news it looked like the back of the phone was being put to the terminal.

Does anyone know if the app will work if you have a protective case around your phone?

Looking at the news it looked like the back of the phone was being put to the terminal.

It depends on the location and type of your NFC chip.

If you have a leap card test the position of your NFC chip with the Leap card app, that will give you an idea how to present your specific mobile and if it will work with your case.

• Advertisement

But all of those 15 hubs are cashless! You can not operate Cash with KBC, just to make you aware of that.

Does not take away from their service and offerings, but if you are still a cash pay in person they might not be for you.

Probably why they call them hubs, rather than branches then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've a One Plus 3 with a case and tried it in a work today. Worked flawlessly, just as easy as if using a card to tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Used my S7 edge today, with case, and worked brilliantly. Just tapped the top of my phone to the terminal, took seconds. Excellent stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bank of Ireland are still behind the times in many aspects, their online banking system is horrendous too.

Glad I'm with AIB - smartwatch app, android pay, usable internet banking..

Not here to defend boi but thats bull boi 365 app is pretty flawless, the app uses your own digits to log in you can get SMS to add new accounts or payees to it,it just works.
    Meanwhile aib require you to use a stupid plastic card thing to generate random codes when adding someone.

Utter nonsense utter unusable zero convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 itoro

listermint wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland are still behind the times in many aspects, their online banking system is horrendous too.

Glad I'm with AIB - smartwatch app, android pay, usable internet banking..

Not here to defend boi but thats bull boi 365 app is pretty flawless, the app uses your own digits to log in you can get SMS to add new accounts or payees to it,it just works.
    Meanwhile aib require you to use a stupid plastic card thing to generate random codes when adding someone.

Utter nonsense utter unusable zero convenience.
    the boi app is definitely not 'flawless'. i get frequent crashes with it and for me the aib online banking website and app have a better design and usability. i will take your point that the aib code reader seems overkill.

Patww79 wrote: »

I'm using NFC payment since month and beside the odd terminal not wanting to co-operate it has been easy, once you explain that you want to use your phone and manage to put the NFC chip right.

Once or twice the shop assistant strikes up a conversation because they did not know about the option, but usually it's just tap and pay without a question.

For shops it's also great because it's cheaper and if their bank allows them to accept higher spending via NFC even better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Are AIB charging any transaction fees with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Brego888 wrote: »
    Are AIB charging any transaction fees with this?

No, free. No hidden charges. AIB (and KBC) pays the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I have One Plus 3 ad it says "Google is unable to verify that your device or the software running on it is android compatible. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I have One Plus 3 ad it says "Google is unable to verify that your device or the software running on it is android compatible. Any ideas?

Is it rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Zascar wrote: »

If your phone is rooted it will not work going by reports here.

^ Yeah, it's due to root. Tried a Hide Root app from the App Store with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 patrickstar3

Just tried to pay for the shopping in Dunnes with it. The terminal wouldn't activate its contactless function since it was over €30. Looks like they're still programmed to only activate by inserting a physical card when it's over €30, or that's what the cashier seemed to think anyway.
    Worked flawlessly at the self service for an exactly €30 payment though

^ The cashier was right... over €30 can't be done contactless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Basq wrote: »
    ^ The cashier was right... over €30 can't be done contactless.
    Incorrect: https://aib.ie/ways-to-bank/android-pay
    For transactions over €30*, unlock your device and hold the back of it to the Contactless payment terminal until you see a checkmark. Your phone will beep and/or vibrate to confirm that the payment has been made.

* Android Pay transactions above €30 may not be supported by some merchant terminals
    Obviously Dunnes' terminals don't support it, but others do

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You can do more than 30€ with contact less but it all depends on which contact less provider you use (and there in some case there which card you are using) and on the bank that the shop is using on the other hand.

Some shops will allow you over 30€ if you enter your PIN in the app for example but other shops won't allow that because their bank does not allow it.

So over 30€ it comes down to trial and error. Don't assume just because your provider allows it that it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

One Plus 3 with a hard case, worked perfectly.

Bought a coffee, Danish and a Jumbo Breakfast Roll to celebrate.

Edit(15 minutes later): they were delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement