Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Is it not a limit if €15?

Contactless limit changed to €30 on 31st of October, unless Google Pay has it's own limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Contactless limit changed to €30 on 31st of October, unless Google Pay has it's own limits

Ninja edited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Ninja edited

Just spotted that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bennyx_o wrote: »

Over here it's 25 euros on our Debit cards (Maestro)

If the transaction is over 25 euros then it will prompt you for your PIN Number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm also getting the Play Services error when trying to add a card in the latest version of the APK.
    Must be because of location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'm also getting the Play Services error when trying to add a card in the latest version of the APK.
    Must be because of location.

Whatever you do don't update to the wrong version of play services. I nearly bricked my phone three weeks ago trying to get Samsung and Google pay to work.

By the way neither are working and both won't even let me add cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

I got Android Pay to work on my phone, by some miracle. I used my friends address in the US, but the card shouldn't be recognized because it isn't part of the supported list. I did try using my Canadian and Irish address for the same card, but there is an error right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

jesseps wrote: »
    I got Android Pay to work on my phone, by some miracle. I used my friends address in the US, but the card shouldn't be recognized because it isn't part of the supported list. I did try using my Canadian and Irish address for the same card, but there is an error right now.

Do you mind me asking what bank you are with and when you had it working could you actually use your phone to make payments in any contactless terminal in Ireland?

Do you mind me asking what bank you are with and when you had it working could you actually use your phone to make payments in any contactless terminal in Ireland?

A Canadian bank. I haven't had a chance to use it. I will get back to you when I do have a chance to use a contactless payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Was it this thread? http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057464836

I've got Android Pay to work with my Irish cards but the charges in Ireland come through in dollars so it's not worth it. I now use Revolut card http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057481488 which gives the interbank conversion rate so it's negligible cost.

• Advertisement

I did try a few times, but kept getting errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rooted devices are unsupported, shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

tnethacker wrote: »

Yes, I sideloaded the APK

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Arbie wrote: »
    Yes, I sideloaded the APK

Cheers. Guess I'll give it a go from here http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-pay/android-pay-1-1-106511521-arm64-640dpi-android-apk-download/

Since the real market doesn't seem to allow me to download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had forgotten about Android Pay until today. Tried it in Topaz and it was authorized, however the bank is telling me that it was billed as zero. It's showing correctly as Google Services. Hmmm did I just get a free lunch :)

I try it in a new shop once a week and so far have only got it to work in M&S and a random petrol station in Kerry.

Yup. I know it's not officially launched here yet but it has worked for other posters in a few outlets, so I said I would just try it this morning.

Edit: Had a quick look in the Android Pay app. Pretty basic, but it's showing me a "Virtual Account Number" from Bancorp. link to the blurb

"For a limited time, you'll be able to use some cards with Android Pay even though their issuing banks don't yet support the app. To let you use these cards in stores, Google Payments works with The Bancorp Bank to issue you a virtual prepaid MasterCard or Discover card."
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Android Pay? Are you in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Boi mastercard

Mine works with AIB Visa credit card and Revolut.

Worked in another Topaz but failed in McDonalds.

I tried it in a Topaz today and it worked. Interesting to note that in M&S it works like a regular contactless transaction but in Topaz & the other petrol station I had to sign the receipt like we did before Chip and Pin arrived. If other shops don't allow the signature option that may explain why it won't work in those cases.

It takes a few days for Irish transactions to appear on the Android Pay app or on the card, whereas when I used it in the USA it appeared on the app instantly and also came out of my Revolut instantly.

• Advertisement

Advertisement