Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

troyzer wrote: »
    Not enough shout outs for the Dragons! We're in Lucan, easily accesible by bus and we take ANYONE. Literally. We have players from 18-47 and whatever strength, speed or fitness.
    We have a rookie majority squad so don't feel shy and come on up. PM me if you want to know more.

Playing the UL Vikings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 idiotkid

The reigning IAFL DV8 champions, Tullamore Phoenix, travel to Trim to take on the Bulldogs this Sunday at 2pm if anyone is in the area.

It's a chance for Phoenix to really stretch their advantage at the top of the league while Trim will be looking to revenge their opening game defeat in Tullamore.

I've also heard rumours that Trim will be putting on some special celebrations as it's 4th of July weekend.

Plus they have cheerleaders...what more could you ask for on a Sunday afternoon!

Disclaimer: I'm a coach with Tullamore Phoenix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Was at Lurgan Park yesterday to watch the Craigavon Cowboys play the Dublin Rhinos, was a good enough game, the Cowboys winning 24-14 and making the play-offs, despite one of the team being taken away in an ambulance with a back injury.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Was at Lurgan Park yesterday to watch the Craigavon Cowboys play the Dublin Rhinos, was a good enough game, the Cowboys winning 24-14 and making the play-offs, despite one of the team being taken away in an ambulance with a back injury.

Jaysis, hope they were okay in the end. Saw a nasty broken leg in a friendly a couple of weeks back and it's never nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Paddy C wrote: »

He was ok in the end, got a phone call from one of the lads to say he was released later in the evening with just muscle damage to his back.

With back and neck injuries in our sport they just have to be taken seriously and treated worst case scenario, otherwise the worst could happen all too easily.

All very quiet in here considering there's the small matter of the Shamrock Bowl coming up this weekend.

My money's on the Rebels I have to say, despite Limerick going perfect so far this season.

Also, the DV8s season is coming to a climax. Dublin Dragons entered the fray with an impressive 51-0 win over Trim yesterday while Tullamore Phoenix (disclaimer, I'm a coach there) kept their unbeaten season going with a 31-6 win over Drogheda yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Congrats to the Rebels on winning another Shamrock Bowl!

The game itself was fantastic with plenty of drama and UL Vikings were very unlucky not to win it. Interceptions, Fumbles, 2 point convertion attempts, missed PAT's, superb passing, wonderful reciving, great running and dodgy decisions the game had it all. Well worth the price of a ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

When does the season run?

And im from Kildare so i guess Tullamore is the local team to me?

What's the standard of fitness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

raven136 wrote: »

March to August. Many teams on a break right now but most start back Sept.

Where in Kildare are you?

It varies. Personally I like to keep my players as fit as possible. But its not always easy. I would advise keeping yourself fit for the game as it can be very draining and tough if you are unfit. But Pre-season is usually when we make our players work harder fitness wise so if you join a team now they will get you to where you need to be for the most part anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

The season has just finished up for the 11's team, it culminated in the Shamrock Bowl which took place on the 31st of July, won by the Dublin Rebels.

Next season will start in Approximately March of next year but pre-season training will start in January for most teams.

You have a few teams "close" to you.
    Trim Bulldogs
    Tullamore Pheonix
    West Dublin Rhinos (based in Castleknock)
    Dublin Dragons (based in Lucan)
    Dublin Rebels (based in Booterstown/Santry)
    Trinity/UCD (unless your a Student here you cannot play for them)

See tallaght's response re:fitness

It varies. Personally I like to keep my players as fit as possible. But its not always easy. I would advise keeping yourself fit for the game as it can be very draining and tough if you are unfit. But Pre-season is usually when we make our players work harder fitness wise so if you join a team now they will get you to where you need to be for the most part anyways.

Im in Kildare Town.

So i should be looking to join up with a team now for pre season etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

It doesn't really matter when you join a team. It isn't the NFL, you don't have to be super fit or join at a certain time of the year. It doesn't matter how unfit you are, there's always a place for you in football. Building up fitness and the massive amount of technique you need takes a few months. But then again, I couldn't even run a lap and never played and two weeks later I was starting.

The Dragons are basically in Kildare, it's a five minute drive from Leixlip. Now is a brilliant time of year to start because you have a good six months to develop your skills in time for the first game.

Im in Kildare Town.

So i should be looking to join up with a team now for pre season etc?

Yup best get on to them now. As DPT said pre-season for a lot of teams is January. But others start in October/November and the Colleges start sept.

I will pm you some contacts for these guys.

Thanks for all the info guys.

troyzer wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter when you join a team. It isn't the NFL, you don't have to be super fit or join at a certain time of the year.

No you don't but it wouldn't hurt if you were
    It doesn't matter how unfit you are, there's always a place for you in football.

Very true.
    Building up fitness and the massive amount of technique you need takes a few months.

True
    But then again, I couldn't even run a lap and never played and two weeks later I was starting.

To be fair not every team is like that. You can't generalise every team in a sweeping statement. You wouldn't walk on to UCD after 2 weeks especially if you were new to the sport and the same can be said for other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What kind of fitness training do you make guys do for it ? Il be heading to UCD in September and would be interested in joining. I play in goals in Gaelic so so dont need fitness for that. I do play a bit of basketball so Im more used to short bursts.

What kind of fitness training do you make guys do for it ? Il be heading to UCD in September and would be interested in joining. I play in goals in Gaelic so so dont need fitness for that. I do play a bit of basketball so Im more used to short bursts.

If you play GAA you will be grand and will be used to our fitness stuff. We start off light as to not scare people away but when we come to working with doing our drills and then eventually working in pads in can be tiring but you should be well capable of it.

Say hello to the Lads at their desk during the sports expo they will explain it further. And if you need anything else just let me know and I can give you a run down on what we are going to be doing. We start on Sept 4th for all returning players if you want to get the jump on other rookies :D

I think there are very few teams you could just walk into without much fitness/training. Certainly wouldn't happen with Tullamore Phoenix.

However, there are no guaranteed starters on our team either so if someone proves in training/a game that they've the hot hand then they're entitled to a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

whats the craic with adult flag football in ireland these days?

Plenty of teams out there but as I am on my iphone I dont have the list handy. I will throw up a post later if someone doesnt get there before me.

Titan #1 on here is the man to ask though as he is the one that looks after flag football in Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=73918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Team in Clonmel (Tipperary), and UCC have a nice set up. Waterford are still working away. Team in Roscrea I think. Tralee play too. Dublin have a handful; 86ers and Revolution. I think Edenderry are about. Team from Down are mentioned, and GMIT have a squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Tourny coming up in Roscrea in a week or so.

PM me where you live and I can put you in touch with your local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Can't wait to play this year...!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scotsman1990

roscrea falcons are still active, torny in roscrea on the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mikemanley

Hey anybody know the closet teams to kilkenny ? Thanks

Clonmel Warriors or Waterford (South East) Strongbows. Where abouts are you? There could be a few in your area. They're the first to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mikemanley

im in gowran kilkenny thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Is the DCU team still active ? Attending now and am looking forward to joining the team if it's still going !

Shiroki wrote: »
    Is the DCU team still active ? Attending now and am looking forward to joining the team if it's still going !

Nope. No word on when they are starting back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spaky12Eyes

Hi all! I'm currently in Leixlip and am really interested in playing, I've become obsessed with american football :P I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training? I've had this experience at rugby before and the training sessions were almost pointless when there weren't enough numbers :/ Don't want to travel all that way just to find out there's 10 people training. Can somebody please get back to me?

P.S. I had a rugby scholarship to Maynooth so I'm pretty used to the skill set that american football requires XD

THANKS!

• Advertisement

Hi all! I'm currently in Leixlip and am really interested in playing, I've become obsessed with american football :P I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training? I've had this experience at rugby before and the training sessions were almost pointless when there weren't enough numbers :/ Don't want to travel all that way just to find out there's 10 people training. Can somebody please get back to me?

P.S. I had a rugby scholarship to Maynooth so I'm pretty used to the skill set that american football requires XD

THANKS!

Rhinos or Dragons are the 2 closest teams to you.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002043290310 Rhinos Facebook quickest way to contact them or PM Vikings on here he is part of them.

Dragons www.dublindragons.com
    I had heard though that many of the teams had poor numbers at training?

To be honest with you, you heard wrong. Numbers for the most part on all the Dublin teams are solid at practice. But there will be weekends were numbers can get low, but I wouldn't let it put you off the sport. As UCD's coach I have certain weekends were numbers can drop. Long weekends and any weekends on the front end of exams. But every other weekend we get a solid turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

THANKS!

The West Dublin Rhinos have their first training session this Sunday in Castleknock College at 12pm. It is a NFL style Combine event and you are more than welcome to come along.

As Tallaghtoutlaws has mentioned facebook page is a good way of getting in contact of via Vikings (or if you have any questions just shout). You can also check out the website www.rhinos.ie for directions and find out more about the team.

Hope to see you sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Any sign of a team starting up in the South-East? :/

(Wicklow, Wexford region)

Aenaes wrote: »
    Any sign of a team starting up in the South-East? :/

(Wicklow, Wexford region)

There's one in Waterford if you're unaware?

There was moves to get one in Wexford but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

There's one in Waterford if you're unaware?

There was moves to get one in Wexford but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

I heard about a Waterford team but didn't see them on the IAFL site. Even so, it would be a bit far to travel for evening practices.

I remember seeing a team for Carlow IT. Are they still around and if so, is it only for college students/staff?

Aenaes wrote: »
    I heard about a Waterford team but didn't see them on the IAFL site. Even so, it would be a bit far to travel for evening practices.

I remember seeing a team for Carlow IT. Are they still around and if so, is it only for college students/staff?

Fairly sure Carlow folded. They had a flag team but it seemed to collapse from within.

thinking bout joinin the team down here in cork anyone know when they start traning

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scotsman1990

if ur talking about the flag team in UCC heck out the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCC-American-Football/160079370680707

thinking bout joinin the team down here in cork anyone know when they start traning

I will PM you the contact details for the Admirals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Are there still only the two teams in Dublin? Wouldn't mind giving it a go if they had a flag team or somethin

darragh16 wrote: »
    Are there still only the two teams in Dublin? Wouldn't mind giving it a go if they had a flag team or somethin

More than 2 Dublin teams:

Dublin Rebels
    West Dublin Rhinos
    Dublin Dragons
    Trinity College
    UCD (Students and Alumni only though)

Fair few other teams that are just flag only. Im sure one of the flag guys can post them up for you.

There's the Dublin Revolution and 86ers. Not sure what their statuses are regarding activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MgarMinotaurs

Hey guys, just wondering where i would create a post, for recruitment for a new team.

New to boards, so any help would be appreciated

Hey guys, just wondering where i would create a post, for recruitment for a new team.

New to boards, so any help would be appreciated

This would be the right thread and also over on the League forum www.iafs.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MgarMinotaurs

This would be the right thread and also over on the League forum www.iafs.co.uk

Thanks dude. Greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

THANKS!

You've probably already sorted something out but the Dragons are definitely the closest. They play in Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Anybody know anything about Cork Admirals youth team? Sent them dozens of emails over the past few months and have gotten no replies at all..

Anybody know anything about Cork Admirals youth team? Sent them dozens of emails over the past few months and have gotten no replies at all..

You would be better off posting that message here:

http://www.iafs.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=6ef93e29b80108f9ff44bb238c938056

or here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105870082782351/?ref=ts

or emailing this chap their Chairman
    gottlieb_barta1@1me1.com
    <
    hidden to stop spam and remove all the 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I'll be moving to Dublin at the end of next month for college work placement. I thinking about giving american football another go (I join the UL team back in first year but social life/going home on the weekends got in the way of things)
    Do you guys think any team would have a problem with a guy joining at the start of Feb and just for one season?

I'll be moving to Dublin at the end of next month for college work placement. I thinking about giving american football another go (I join the UL team back in first year but social life/going home on the weekends got in the way of things)
    Do you guys think any team would have a problem with a guy joining at the start of Feb and just for one season?

Nope you will be welcomed in. Contact them before hand and ask. Where in Dublin will you be staying?

• Advertisement
Advertisement