Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some serious rain up here in North Donegal the last couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Forecasting thunderstorms from 3 days out is a tough task, especially for Ireland. I wouldn't be getting any bit excited until Wednesday at the earliest.

I echo this, yes its nice looking at the charts at present but those plume events are so often pushed east closer to the time with action leading to more N france and the enlish channel than the irish sea. For thunderstorms, T+48hrs is FI for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

When it comes to Ireland and thunderstorms, then anything beyond 15 mins in FI for me. The only thing we can be 100% sure about in this country is the prevalence and perseverance of hardcore mediocrity.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

To me anyway a complex set up and plenty of weather interactions to study over the coming days, always uncertainty when it comes to thunderstorms more so in Ireland but interesting and fun to try and predict and go through the fine details, only way to improve on giving a go at forecasting and gaining a better understanding of the mechanics of meteorology. :)

High temperatures, high theta E readings ,advancing plume of high theta W airmass coming out of the continent and from the Azores, the main interest being around Thursday evening into Friday. Different models showing different outcomes and potential. Question of timing to see how quickly the approaching LP from the Atlantic makes its way towards us and again models differ wildly at this stage on track and timing. Will the approaching fronts interact with the warmer air on Friday and Saturday ??

Looks like there could be huge thunderstorms.....but where. Over the UK, Over the UK and running up the Irish sea, clipping Ireland in the SE and E ???? Or more of an outside chance of running up over Ireland.

Models are changing from run to run but only takes a small shift W to give potential of big thunderstorm activity up along the SE , E and NE, just my opinion of course.

Some projected DPs for 02.00 Fri especially over Wales and the UK

AoKcU8a.gif

XjkTMXy.gif

qNdRFlK.gif

CoXg9YX.png

oKljb4o.png

u2vZ7k0.png

s06KOvf.png

ITPJRBD.gif

Pn5pdcu.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Current forecasts

Met Eireann : Thursday will be warmer with sunny spells. It will be mainly dry but a few isolated showers are possible late in the day. Highest temperatures of 18 to 25 degrees, warmest in Leinster with light breezes.

Thursday night and Friday will see heavy or thundery showers move in over the country from the south affecting mainly eastern coastal counties. It will be warm and muggy with some sunny spells by day too.

It then looks like turning fresher for the weekend with a more Atlantic regime setting in.

M.T Cranium : THURSDAY will be warm and humid with lows near 12 C and highs near 24 C. There could be a few isolated showers or thunderstorms. By Thursday night there could be an outbreak of heavier storms in the southeast.

FRIDAY will be warm and humid with thunderstorms possibly heavy in Leinster. Lows near 14 C and highs 22 to 25 C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The surface setup Thursday will not be too dissimilar to that of 1985, with a warm and moist plume almost stationary up the Irish Sea, edging slightly westwards as a warm front. What we're missing is the digging upper trough. At the moment mid-upper lapse rates look marginal.

The best chance would be to get some help from the Welsh terrain, but the flow looks too southerly for that. We'll see what happens the models today, but I still believe that GFS dewpoints near or above 20 degrees is asking a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The fax suggests the warm front could edge well into Ireland
    I'm with GL though, too much southerly atm, to move storms west
    A case of hearing muffled rumbles and seeing the lightning from the coast if at all

With the utmost respect to others opinions, this mornings ECM has shifted the potential well in over the SE, E and NE and in fact over the Eastern half of Ireland, would think increasing the thunderstorm potential a lot for later Thurs into Fri.

With the utmost most respect to others opinions, this mornings ECM has shifted the potential well in over the SE, E and NE and in fact over the Eastern half of Ireland, would think increasing the thunderstorm potential a lot for later Thurs into Fri.

Early Friday morning alright it is showing some potential for elevated lightning along the east as there is just a hint of a southeasterly flow over the Irish Sea setting up a convergence zone along Leinster, though these lightning charts have been wrong in the recent past. The ECM soundings for then are not in range yet but the last sounding for 11 pm on Thursday in the area of max MUCAPE just off the Wexford coast shows around 900 J/kg with moderate shear. Wicklow mountains might play ball. It's all to play for.

517467.png

517468.png

517469.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok, things looking very interesting now on Thursday night.

Classic setup to develop storms as they move north from Biscay.

Excited for this one! :D

Hopefully things remain on course over the next 48 hours.

200.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The frog has spoken.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

BBC have things a lot further west.

13 hours of storms for Sligo, Thurs/Fri.

517478.jpg517479.jpg

These Biscay imports usually in my experience take 3 main routes
    In at east cork or waterford up through kilkenny south mid and west wexford into carlow kildare and west Wicklow plus a degree either side depending on strength

Or

Into south wexford up the east coast eventually reaching Dublin,with a degree either side depending on severity

Or up the middle of the Irish sea affecting the isle of man,East ulster and western Scotland
    Visible en route from the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heighway61 wrote: »

Those hour by hour weather forecasts are utterly meaningless for thunderstoms.

At best, that means there's a chance of thunderstorms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    These Biscay imports usually in my experience take 3 main routes
    In at east cork or waterford up through kilkenny south mid and west wexford into carlow kildare and west Wicklow plus a degree either side depending on strength

Or

Into south wexford up the east coast eventually reaching Dublin,with a degree either side depending on severity

Or up the middle of the Irish sea affecting the isle of man,East ulster and western Scotland
    Visible en route from the coast

No matter which route they take, they will avoid County Meath, they always do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This was the position the wave feature (badly highlighted just north of the Azores) last night that will potentially trigger those storms in the east Thursday night as it runs up against drier, warmer air to the east:

h2JEGg6.png

Currently in a region that will help boost moisture content within it to very high levels, and here is the UK Met forecast for late Thursday night as it stands:

6eVhfAb.png

Edit, and some charts from July 1985 as a comparison (taken from that dedicated thread)

rJ6ENNb.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Outstanding work Oneiric, that is a very juicy prospect indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heighway61 wrote: »

13 hours of storms for Sligo, Thurs/Fri.

517478.jpg517479.jpg

Certainly wouldnt be at all surprised to see major rainfall from this. It's like this event is going to finally end any talk of drought and introduce cool and unsettled weather for at least 10 days.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This was the position the wave feature (badly highlighted just north of the Azores) last night that will potentially trigger those storms in the east Thursday night as it runs up against drier, warmer air to the east:

Currently in a region that will help boost moisture content within it to very high levels, and here is the UK Met forecast for late Thursday night as it stands:

You'd think, but in actual fact the low-level air for early Friday will have come from a source just south of Ireland (red). The 850-hPa air from a source in western Germany (blue track below). The upper air will come from the Azores region alright (green).

Below is the current sounding for that area (Karlsruhe). The closest actual radiosonde sounding for nearby Stuttgart shows a similar profile, though a much stronger hydrolapse at 800 hPa.

517497.gif

517498.png

517499.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still on track for the soitheast, east and midlands for Thursday/Friday *thumbs up*

• Advertisement

Still on track for the soitheast, east and midlands for Thursday/Friday *thumbs up*

Would you be prepared to guess a rough time line from southeast to top of the east?

Some of the 12z medium range models showing the good risk for the east an NW of the country for MCS potential. Still won't be surprised to see this shift east on future runs like has done many times before. Also mention by Gaoth Laidir and others the bias for moisture being a bit much on GFS based models.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=517517&stc=1&d=1592934373

Strong DLS to matain the high base storms and structure during the night.
    517521.jpg

Reasonable amounts of ML cape but i've seen better for night time MCS such as June 2018's setup
    517522.jpg

Whichever way it goes its still good model watching all the same. :cool:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Some of the 12z medium range models showing the good risk for the east an NW of the country for MCS potential. Still won't be surprised to see this shift east on future runs like has done many times before. Also mention by Gaoth Laidir and others the bias for moisture being a bit much on GFS based models.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=517517&stc=1&d=1592934373

Strong DLS to matain the high base storms and structure during the night.
    517521.jpg

Reasonable amounts of ML cape but i've seen better for night time MCS such as June 2018's setup
    517522.jpg

Whichever way it goes its still good model watching all the same. :cool:

The june 2018 one was quite a cracker in the Arklow area,constant forked lightning ,no gaps,and continuously booming for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The weather outlook account on Twitter stating that the thunderstorm activity not as extensive as first forecast. This will be a south of England event. Nothing for the east coast or Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

The weather outlook account on Twitter stating that the thunderstorm activity not as extensive as first forecast. This will be a south of England event. Nothing for the east coast or Dublin.

Welcome back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I doubt it - for instance, the UKMO going for 30°c in Glasgow on Thursday: https://youtu.be/XY9CR935v4o?t=125

With 26c in Belfast and 28c in the far SW of Wales, you can guess that the UKMO would have 29c inland here on Thursday.

That means this heat will have travelled a long way north and west as we then start to see the Atlantic air creep back in from the west.

I think this is going to be extensive across us Thursday evening/night and into Friday morning.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The june 2018 one was quite a cracker in the Arklow area,constant forked lightning ,no gaps,and continuously booming for hours

Yeah I remember being able to see the anvil light up when it was over Gorey from here in D11! Cloud tops were easily 30,000ft +

Personally i never heard of them so if you would like to back that up with some model data I'd more than happily discuss it but 12z ECM shows thunderstorms still , just not necessarily an MCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

HIFOPUK12_54_10.png

Hirlam's Dewpoints are amazing for 6pm Thursday! :eek:

Danno wrote: »

Hirlam's Dewpoints are amazing for 6pm Thursday! :eek:

ECM showing even higher nearer the E later Thursday evening, gong to be sweaty !!

921I2bp.png

• Advertisement

The 12Z ECM is a downgrade on the overnight potential for Ireland but brings it forward a few hours to late Thursday evening. Still, it's all elevated convection, with relatively low MUCAPE values from 800-900 hPa levels. The good thing is shear will be high, so it could slightly offset the low CAPE.

Not convinced many of us will see much action but Mortelaro should do if he looks east. Still some time for changes, though.

Advertisement