Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Watched just the first season of this about 8 years ago and thought: "Is that it?! That's supposed to be one of the greatest TV shows ever?"

I didn't get the hype at all

That said, our TV tastes can change a lot in 8 years, so I may give it another go

I was like that with Breaking Bad. I gave up after 2.5 seasons.

I struggled with The Wire too. It took 6/7 eps to start grabbing me. Not sure if after struggling for a whole season it'd be worth another go. I loved it in the end meself and season 2 was my favourite.

Similarly I've seen random episodes of The Sopranos thinking this is epic but I just cant get passed the first season. I'm maybe 7/8 eps in and it's just not grabbing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Is Suits worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

The Shield always gets great feedback to those I recommend it to. Best TV show of the lot IMO and the only one I’ve seen that did everything properly and ticked all the boxes. Consistent storylines, great characters & character development, the finale is nail biting stuff too. No crap seasons either, just gets better from season to season. . Just superb stuff. Can’t recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ironman76 wrote: »
    The Shield always gets great feedback to those I recommend it to. Best TV show of the lot IMO and the only one I’ve seen that did everything properly and ticked all the boxes. Consistent storylines, great characters & character development, the finale is nail biting stuff too. No crap seasons either, just gets better from season to season. . Just superb stuff. Can’t recommend it enough.

I heard the final season is the best. Could I skip the previous seasons and watch this or would you need to have watched them all. I did watch season 1 so I know the main characters but don't want to drag myself through season 2-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Badabing1

billyhead wrote: »
    I heard the final season is the best. Could I skip the previous seasons and watch this or would you need to have watched them all. I did watch season 1 so I know the main characters but don't want to drag myself through season 2-6.

No definitely don't to that! I watched it on recommendation from this thread, and was just raging when I'd finished it that there wasn't more. Really great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you're into documentaries - narco wars is good (sky/now tv)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Badabing1 wrote: »
    No definitely don't to that! I watched it on recommendation from this thread, and was just raging when I'd finished it that there wasn't more. Really great show.

The big moment of the very first episode is resolved in the very final episode.

The first few seasons are very good but the last few are excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

wadacrack wrote: »
    Is Suits worth a watch?

First 2-3 seasons are good to very good

After that, the wheels come off

I bailed in the season when
    Mike went to prison
    and never went back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just started watching "damages" on prime. It's a legal drama from a few years ago with Glenn Close and Ted Damson. Just on season 1 atm but I'm finding it really good. Easy watching but quite addictive.

steve_r wrote: »
    The big moment of the very first episode is resolved in the very final episode.

The first few seasons are very good but the last few are excellent

Seconded.

The payoff in the finale is well worth the commitment to previous seasons and it builds up tremendously as we head towards the final season.

What’s great also is it’s not just centred around the main four guys. The support characters are also very compelling.

Season 5 is actually my favourite season. The finale then gives fantastic closure.

As a previous post said I was gutted when it was over. It was superb from start to finish. Easily my all time favourite TV show. And I’m a big fan of Sopranos and 24.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Is Suits worth a watch?

Started off really good but then the writers take a massive dump on it. Watched 6 seasons and couldn’t bear watching the 7th it got that bad. Feels like it was planned for four seasons but then realised they had a “hit” on their hands and did it to death. Just fell off a cliff!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm, not seen it before, its not lol comedy but still fun

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Channel4.com

Bodyshockers

It’a like trying to pull a rotten tooth out - dangerous, gratifying, painful and horrifying all at the same time.

I’ve a strong stomach but I don’t think I’ll be able to watch most of season two. S1 was glorifyingly grotesque enough.

Definately take your mind off EVERYTHING and mostly for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

Finished Bron/Broen Season 1 last night - wow wow wow - fantastic writing.. and acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ironman76 wrote: »

I watched the first season a few years ago. Thought it was ok, but I wasn’t too fussed about following up on it after that. Nowhere near the Wire in my humble opinion.

I’m currently on Season 3 of Sneaky Pete, and I’d recommend it highly. Great cast of characters and nice twisty plots.

trashcan wrote: »
    I’m currently on Season 3 of Sneaky Pete, and I’d recommend it highly. Great cast of characters and nice twisty plots.
    Without spoilers, can anyone who's watched it all say if this comes to a proper conclusion? Or did it end on a cliffhanger in Season 3?

Amazon cancelled it after 3 seasons

The premise and reviews for it look strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

From what I remember I watched the first episode and gave up, just didn't draw me in and had fairly low production quality

Allen v Farrow on sky/now tv

anyone watching this? tis a very strange case don't know what to make of it

don't know who to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

An apt time to re-visit this thread I think

I'm currently re-watching:

The West Wing. About 3 episodes a week

I'm upto early Season 4 and may stop at the end of it. It becomes a very different show after Sorkin leaves and Season 5 is a bit shíte to say the least. Those first 4 seasons are still incredible TV even after all these years though. It's on the All 4 app

The Newsroom

More Sorkin stuff and I'm enjoying it again. Even if characters like Alison Pill's just don't work there's still plenty on the show that does

And considering a re-watch of: The Office (US)

Now back on Netflix and I've only watched it all once before from start to finish. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 episodes a week on a re-watch. It's a modern classic

Anything new or old engrossing you?

In the same way that The West Wing is a different show after Sorkin left, The Office was a much different show after Steve Carrell left. If I do rewatch it, I think I'll stop after he leaves.

Has anyone tried M Night Shyamalan's "Servant"?

Is it strong?

I don't want to check it's main thread on here because - as per Shyamalan's usual style - I know big twists and plot turns will be spoiled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

sporina wrote: »
    Finished Bron/Broen Season 1 last night - wow wow wow - fantastic writing.. and acting

I only got around to watching the final season recently, and I was very impressed. They managed 4 seasons of very high quality TV, with little drop in quality, which is a rarity. They even lost one of the main stars after the second season, yet he was excellently replaced, without much loss to the shows quality. I personally think it's the best of the best of the new Scandinavian crime dramas, far better than Forbrydelsen, which I struggled to get through. The Belgian series The Break is the only thing I've watched that comes close to it in quality.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Has anyone tried M Night Shyamalan's "Servant"?

Is it strong?

Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons. Something different. Worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Shows I would reccomend away from the usual picks:
    -Sons of Anarchy
    -ZeroZeroZero (excellent)
    -Line of Duty
    -The night of (An often overlooked gem)
    -The Blacklist (My guilty pleasure, James Spader is fantastic)
    -Mindhunter (one of the best shows I've ever watched)
    -Manhunt: Unabomber
    -True Detective Season 1 & 3. (Season 1 is one of the greatest piece of television ever made, a must watch)
    - House of Cards (really enjoyed the first few seasons but went to sh!te after)

Probably missing a lot here that I can't think of, but these are my personal picks away from the usual top shows like the sopranos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

1. The Sopranos
    2. The Shield
    3. The Wire
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Mad Men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Informer on Netflix is a good 8 parter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Comedy: Cheers / Community
    Drama: ER post Clooney when the cast improved
    Buddy Cop show: Castle
    Dark : Breaking Bad / walking dead season 1 to 3 only

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Shows I would reccomend away from the usual picks:
    -Sons of Anarchy
    -ZeroZeroZero (excellent)
    -Line of Duty
    -The night of (An often overlooked gem)
    -The Blacklist (My guilty pleasure, James Spader is fantastic)
    -Mindhunter (one of the best shows I've ever watched)
    -Manhunt: Unabomber
    -True Detective Season 1 & 3. (Season 1 is one of the greatest piece of television ever made, a must watch)
    - House of Cards (really enjoyed the first few seasons but went to sh!te after)

Probably missing a lot here that I can't think of, but these are my personal picks away from the usual top shows like the sopranos etc.

Yeah I binged the f** out of sons of anarchy couldn’t get enough of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Without a doubt Succession is prolly one of the best dramas I've ever watched. It's just so thoroughly entertaining, hardly a dull moment.

If you like 'real life' drama House of Cards is also great, but was ruined by Kevin Spacey being sacked from the show. Thus the final season was such a disappointment. Still worth watching though.

I've never watched Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire. They are too 'blokey' types of dramas for me and I really don't care for mafia or criminal themed dramas, but I appreciate they were very good in themselves from the reviews.

If you like supernatural type dramas, like LOST, DARK is brilliant, even better than LOST imo. It's rather refreshing that it's based in Germany and not America with German actors and in the German language (there are dubbed versions if you can find them), but I think a Netflix production all the same, like House of Cards. The final third season wasn't a hit though but the first 2 I'll prolly watch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Episodes. Probably the best thing I've ever seen, a great combination of brit and yank wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

Justified
    Orphan Black
    Bates Motel
    Grimm
    Hannibal
    The Last Kingdom
    The Fall
    Ray Donovan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

If you are interested in what Pablo Escobar was really like I recommend El Patron del mal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fresh off the Boat, great underrated comedy series

Without spoilers, can anyone who's watched it all say if this comes to a proper conclusion? Or did it end on a cliffhanger in Season 3?

Just finished it last night. The main plot lines for season three were resolved, so yeah, you can watch it and not be left cursing at being left in mid air, story wise. Having said that, there was definitely room left to carry on into future seasons. I found it very likeable and wouldn’t mind seeing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Anyone I recommended to liked it, well worth the time.

I was watching before season 3 came out and from what I remember it was pretty much a given it would be the last season before it was confirmed as such.

A reasonable ending I'd say too no cliffhangers to worry about. Saying that Season 3 isn't quite as good as the previous but its still decent.

The poster who scoffs at production values based on a snippet on the first episode they can barely remember ya id ignore that, the first season actually cost like 100m to make!

silverharp wrote: »
    Im enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm, not seen it before, its not lol comedy but still fun

Lol, Larry. L O L.

• Advertisement

Anyone I recommended to liked it, well worth the time.

I was watching before season 3 came out and from what I remember it was pretty much a given it would be the last season before it was confirmed as such.

A reasonable ending I'd say too no cliffhangers to worry about. Saying that Season 3 isn't quite as good as the previous but its still decent.

The poster who scoffs at production values based on a snippet on the first episode they can barely remember ya id ignore that, the first season actually cost like 100m to make!

Agree with all of that. The remark about low production values puzzled me too. I honestly didn’t see it. It didn’t look any cheaper than Breaking Bad, or any other mainstream American show to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just finished it last night. The main plot lines for season three were resolved, so yeah, you can watch it and not be left cursing at being left in mid air, story wise. Having said that, there was definitely room left to carry on into future seasons. I found it very likeable and wouldn’t mind seeing more.

Yeah the main stories are wrapped up. I agree, I really liked it and would have liked to have seen more

Collateral - BBC 4 parter on netflix starring carey mulligan...enjoyed it

do any of the streaming services have Miami Vice (80's series) on demand?

fryup wrote: »
    do any of the streaming services have Miami Vice (80's series) on demand?

I love 80s shows , I recently found buck rogers and it’s hilarious

• Advertisement

Just finished this ... amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bodyguard was brutal imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I remember it started out well but in the last couple of episodes there was a twist and turn too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dark season 1 and 2 are exceptional. I would rate season 3 (final season) as only good purely because it was so difficult to understand the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Your Honour - Bryan Cranston EX Breaking bad
    Ozark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

afro man wrote: »
    Your Honour - Bryan Cranston EX Breaking bad

Couldn't watch it. The son wrecked my head.

Agree. Didn't finish it. I liked Collateral (with Carey Mulligan), Unforgotten and Hinterland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

The bridge is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 comuirch

Does anyone know where you can stream the newer Battlestar Galactica series these days?

I watched it about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind watching again....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Loved Bodyguard, very surprised to see some of the comments on here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement