Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

paddythere wrote: »
    Dexter

If you pretend the show doesn't exist after Season 4 :pac:

Perhaps the biggest example of a "great to shíte" show of recent memory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Get Real wrote: »
    Trial By Media on Netflix. Excellent series.

I (pessimistically) gave the first ten mins of episode 1 a go. Hooked.

A good watch.

Oh my God. Just finished the Episide " Dan's Bar'

The Movie The Accused is based on this story.

Hard watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Cracker, what a classic that was. In the Top 5 British Dramas ever for me

Easily. It's among the best TV shows ever really. Compared to some stuff that gets hyped the last 10-15 years, it is light years better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Murt10 wrote: »
    Don't know if it was previously mentioned but The Good Wife sounds like its right up your street.
    At it's peak a totally brilliant show, but I thought it went downhill quite badly last few seasons.
    The spin of the good fight is a bit off the wall but also terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Please post where u can watch them... I've had to cancel my Netflix!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

LilacNails wrote: »
    Please post where u can watch them... I've had to cancel my Netflix!!

JustWatch is a good website to see where tv shows/films are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

To > the op:

Brilliant thread and half way trough "Ozark" .At the part where it should have been the start after 6 hours (ha).

Did any mention " Good behavior" ????

Very similar to Ozark.

The advice on here is pretty spot on and fair play.

Thanks

Started watching The Last dance last night as my ancient Tablet can only handle Netflix

3 episodes in and I'm not sure I get the hype yet. I'll give it another 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

The Shield is on ALL4 and the RTE player, a few years old at this stage but still really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Has Yellowstone been mentioned yet?

Excellent show! Starting Kevin Costner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Justified. Great actors playing great characters. Plenty of episodes to keep you busy and they finish the series very well.

I got 3 or 4 episodes into this and it seemed a bit light - I assume it picks up based on your comments above, might pick it up again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,068 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mr Mercedes?

Watched episode 4 of The Last Dance last night and whilst the show is still not engrossing, it's definitely picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

beertons wrote: »
    Mr Mercedes?

I thought Season 1 was good.
    I thought season 2 was awful.
    I thought Season 3 was only slightly better.

Brendan Gleeson definitely the best thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Fauda on Netflix

Man in the High Castle, Prime,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

newman10 wrote: »
    Man in the High Castle, Prime,

Another one I got 4 or 5 eps into and lost interest in. I think I might be the problem...

The Last Dance is excellent and fits the thread title's description about 4 episodes in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Twin peaks season 1
    True Detective season 1
    Dark
    The Killing
    The bridge
    The OA

Or just rewatch breaking bad. I'm on season two forgot how good this actually was

The OA was some pile of sh1te..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

started watching HBOs Six Feet Under

I knw it may seem a bit grim/dark but its a great series with some weird moments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    started watching HBOs Six Feet Under

I knw it may seem a bit grim/dark but its a great series with some weird moments

Excellent show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

I just started watching "Barry", man that's some binge-worthy TV. It's only 30 minutes per episode and everything moves along at a great pace. It's HBO, so you know it's quality.

The plot: A hitman accidentally ventures into the world of acting and ends up reconsidering his career.

I know, bonkers. It's just so watchable and has the comedy/drama blend down perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭trashcan

fr336 wrote: »
    Bodyguard is by the same writer as Line of Duty and almost as brilliant - highly recommend. If you like LOD then you might be a fan of Killing Eve too.

Love Line of Duty ( though it gets dangerously close to jumping the shark at times) but wasn't impresssed with The Bodyguard.

Anybody watching Mindhunter ? Started it without much expectation, but it's not bad. I was half expecting some formulaic villain of the week rubbish like Criminal Minds, but it's better than that. Wouldn't rate it in the premier league, but its quite watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Homelander wrote: »
    I just started watching "Barry", man that's some binge-worthy TV. It's only 30 minutes per episode and everything moves along at a great pace. It's HBO, so you know it's quality.

The plot: A hitman accidentally ventures into the world of acting and ends up reconsidering his career.

I know, bonkers. It's just so watchable and has the comedy/drama blend down perfectly.

It's brilliant.

Gets progressively darker as it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to say I'm finding Peaky Blinders a bit underwhelming. It's okay, it's well acted and some great moments, just underwhelming. They have a serious issue with season finales too, as they tend to
    write themselves into a bit of a corner, the resolution is poor, they end on a cliffhanger or big story point, then the first episode of the next season mostly negates it.

It's decent, just underwhelming considering how many people had been recommending it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Billions is back....anyone caught any of it yet?

I thought in the last series it had reached that point when it looks like its gone on too far, and should have been ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

trashcan wrote: »
    Love Line of Duty ( though it gets dangerously close to jumping the shark at times) but wasn't impresssed with The Bodyguard.

Anybody watching Mindhunter ? Started it without much expectation, but it's not bad. I was half expecting some formulaic villain of the week rubbish like Criminal Minds, but it's better than that. Wouldn't rate it in the premier league, but its quite watchable.
    Found Mindhunter decent. As you correctly point out, its not the regular format and you are expecting different things from the characters. I liked it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

Penn wrote: »

It's decent, just underwhelming considering how many people had been recommending it to me.

Thought the same. Watchable but very over-rated. It's really just a (very) poor man's Boardwalk Empire.

I was bewildered by the claims that it was outrageously violent, really gritty, etc....was more like an entertaining soap to me.

Great design and costumes/locations though, do like that part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mindhunter was good, especially the 2nd series. I have literally nothing to watch that would interest me and have both Netflix and Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Mindhunter was good, especially the 2nd series. I have literally nothing to watch that would interest me and have both Netflix and Amazon.

You're just not looking hard enough.
    I find searching Google good, eg best thrillers/series 3029 on Netflix etc. Some below are films
    The Letdown
    Marcella
    Thunder Road
    Black 37
    Beasts of no nation
    Devs
    Barry
    Suburra
    Happy Valley (fantastic, not sure what service its on)

Advertisement