Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

90 days fiancee on soaps 2day. It's crap TV but I'm hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dinneenp wrote: »
    You're just not looking hard enough.
    I find searching Google good, eg best thrillers/series 3029 on Netflix etc. Some below are films
    The Letdown
    Marcella
    Thunder Road
    Black 37
    Beasts of no nation
    Devs
    Barry
    Suburra
    Happy Valley (fantastic, not sure what service its on)

Yeah I search all the time. Happy Valley was great, Barry great, haven't come across the other ones.

Marcella was quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

What we do in the shadows ����

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CosmicFool wrote: »
    What we do in the shadows ����

Do you need to watch the film before the series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

km79 wrote: »
    Excellent show

Yeah very addictive show

Michael C Hall played the role to perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

PTH2009 wrote: »
    started watching HBOs Six Feet Under

I knw it may seem a bit grim/dark but its a great series with some weird moments

This was a hugely influential show. It's around that time when TV started to improve greatly. The Sopranos was in it's early days and the Wire was just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

CastorTroy wrote: »

No, it's basically the same premise as the film, but different characters. It's a real treat though, I've only seen one episode of the 2nd series and it was more of the same fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The Last Dance is excellent and fits the thread title's description about 4 episodes in

Last week you were 4 episodes in and it wasn't exactly engrossing. What happened between episode 4 and eh...episode 4 that changed your mind? :pac:

As an aside, I'm listening to the ESPN podcasts that were on after each episode and the director, Jason Hehir, was on discussing the episode, giving insight into what was involved in bringing it together. Worth a listen if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CastorTroy wrote: »

No, like another poster says, it's different characters but the same premise. There is one episode in Season 1 that features the characters from the film, but you don't miss anything by not having seen the film first. The film is okay, but I think it works better as a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Last week you were 4 episodes in and it wasn't exactly engrossing. What happened between episode 4 and eh...episode 4 that changed your mind? :pac:

:pac:

You've a better memory than me!

I've completed it since and it definitely deserves all the plaudits it's getting. Great TV

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is “The Last Dance” worth watching if you’re not big into basketball?

The doc on Aaron Hernandez didn’t do much for me..

Basq wrote: »
    Is “The Last Dance” worth watching if you’re not big into basketball?

Definitely

Give it a chance though, it needs a few episodes to ramp up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    :pac:

You've a better memory than me!

I've completed it since and it definitely deserves all the plaudits it's getting. Great TV

Look up the 'Jalen and Jacoby - The Aftershow' podcast. Jalen Rose was on the Pacers team that the Bulls played in the Eastern final in 98. He went on to play for the Bulls a few years later so he knows the game. He was born in Detroit so he has his own thoughts on the Pistons and the rivalry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

Truly enjoyed "Money Heist".
    Yes it has its boring moments but really got into this gripping drama which was ah well close to alot of emotions that most face at some time in life and would highly recommend it as essential viewing for physiologists and normal people as they seem to differ.

Brilliant for a Spanish channel and the dubbing worked well.

Got me for sure and herself glued to to TV for hours .

Enjoyable and to quote the OP engrossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

PTH2009 wrote: »
    started watching HBOs Six Feet Under

I knw it may seem a bit grim/dark but its a great series with some weird moments

That was a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    This was a hugely influential show. It's around that time when TV started to improve greatly. The Sopranos was in it's early days and the Wire was just around the corner.

Yeah you can the influence from this in other 2000s shows. Scrubs also started around the same time and that was another legendary series

Racking my brains wondering what else the mother in Six Feet Under was in. She also played the mother in The Joker

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Multiple seasons of American Horror Story and pops up in multiple other things

• Registered Users Posts: 85,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Derry Girls is starting on RTE 1 Sunday at 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Started season 1 of six feet under, will see how it goes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

last kingdom is great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Another one I got 4 or 5 eps into and lost interest in. I think I might be the problem...
    no it is very slow and seemingly aimless at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I can highly recommend the following:

For All Mankind great what if show about the space race.
    Man in the Highcastle great what if show about an alternative history.
    Startup great show that only lasted 3 seasons.
    I watched all 6 seasons of Bosch over the past 2 weeks and its one of the best police shows I have ever watched.
    Watched all of Defending Jacob today, well worth watching.
    Goliath is great with Billy Bob Thornton in top form.
    Jack Ryan is well worth a look.
    Absentia is rather interesting.
    American Gods is great with Ian McShane in top form.
    Good Omens has a great cast and is a must watch.
    Hunters is good but the last episode WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Starting Money Heist myself.. have heard good things!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,068 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jeffrey Epstein Filthy Rich. There's only 4 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Hollywood on Netflix. Was pretty good. Sometimes cheesy but overall a great watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Basq wrote: »
    Starting Money Heist myself.. have heard good things!
    Well I found it quite ridiculous and stopped after the second season. I also had a rather bigger issue with some of the events in the first season. Seems like I'm alone in not thinking much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tried tracking back and haven't seen FARGO listed (could have missed it though), it's a gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭trashcan

cadaliac wrote: »
    Found Mindhunter decent. As you correctly point out, its not the regular format and you are expecting different things from the characters. I liked it a lot.

Finished Mindhunter and I thought it got better as it went on. Very good. I read somewhere that Netflix have dropped and there won't be a third season ? Pity if that's the case.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Finished Mindhunter and I thought it got better as it went on. Very good. I read somewhere that Netflix have dropped and there won't be a third season ? Pity if that's the case.

For a David Fincher project I thought it was seriously lacking by his standards. I've never tried season 2 as a result

Netflix didn't drop it, Fincher has shelved it for now to focus on other things

Advertisement