Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

Touch site is sometimes unusable this weekend

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sorry about that guys, it seems to be back to normal speeds today from what I can see but if it happens again let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slow on mobile today

Someone else just reported the same on Twitter JP but not seeing any issues here. Are you getting any errors when trying to access anything or is it simply taking longer than it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Someone else just reported the same on Twitter JP but not seeing any issues here. Are you getting any errors when trying to access anything or is it simply taking longer than it should?

The site stopped loading altogether for me for a while in the last hour, other than that it was glacially slow. Both on full and touch sites.

Seems to be ok again now though.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The site stopped loading altogether for me for a while in the last hour, other than that it was glacially slow. Both on full and touch sites.

Seems to be ok again now though.
    I spoke too soon.... slowing to a crawl again.

Full site, on laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ive noticed over the last few days it is not bringing me to the most recent new post on a thread
    it tells me there are new posts on a thread and i go in and....... nothing new!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I seem to have an issue the last couple of days where I don't get any page loading. Multiple tries and nothing not even a timed out error?

Now it may be a local issue as it happens after I have left a page open for say 30 minutes (DNS records timed out) and then refresh the page or click logo to go back to home page.

Internet certainly working OK (speedtest.net showing 60Mbps) and other pages on other sites left open refresh and link perfectly.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Weeks and weeks of random slowness. The only website in 2021 that is popular and runs like it's hosted on a raspberry pi.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Ads by Google,

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering some slowdown. Unfortunately, there's nothing that I can see in any of the logs that highlights any server issues that indicate that there is an issue or that we can look into further.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No problems at all for me but then I am not in a developing country on the far side of the world.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seve OB wrote: »
    ive noticed over the last few days it is not bringing me to the most recent new post on a thread
    it tells me there are new posts on a thread and i go in and....... nothing new!

Still happening

Might get brought to posts a week old!

No problems at all for me but then I am not in a developing country on the far side of the world.

It fails with the Cloudfare error saying I'm fine, they're fine, but boards.ie has an SSL handshake error. You can Google that and see it's the website's issue, not a developing country issue. I have a better connection to a Dublin ISP than my mum does from rural Monaghan.

If Irish users are getting directly onto the site, whereas international users are going through Cloudfare or something like that, and that's causing issues, then it's something that could be fixed.

It's also very annoying that there is some Ajax call being made while reading a page without any error checking so if that call fails with the SSL error, the page crashes. Pretty jarring while reading a thread. Error checking to prevent catastrophic failure in the event of a predictable scenario is coding 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

I haven’t read back but the site has been slow for me for ages. If I’m on wifi it’s glacial in its loading.
    Have 44meg wifi so I’m fairly sure that’s not the issue. No other site does this. I can open other forums in seperate tabs, swop tabs, refresh and come back to boards and it will still be loading

PS; am in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hello team,
    just to let you know that for the last 30 minutes or so, boards is a bit slow. I am on a laptop on the full site (not touch)
    Navigation between pages takes a few seconds more than usual, I had 3 cases of blank/white screen and one case where a thread took me to the second last page instead of the last page of the thread.
    Not much of a bother anyway, just thought to share this with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

White pages, slow opening of threads, follow thread freezing amongst a few issues tonight.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks for the reports guys, did it pick up after this or are you still having issues?

I've got a few blank white pages (with headers, just no list of threads) this morning - if I refresh it fixes itself.

And half the time, the big block BOARDS.IE on the top left corner is missing.

On the full site on desktop.

ETA - the hyperlink (if that's what it's called?) at the top left still works, just the words aren't there..... so doesn't affect anything, but it's just a bit odd!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Picked up again for me late last night, around midnight(ish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

All good this morning Niamh!!!

Getting Error 522 this morning and very slow page loading

Slideways wrote: »
    Getting Error 522 this morning and very slow page loading

And just again, this time 525

548951.png

Slideways wrote: »
    I haven’t read back but the site has been slow for me for ages. If I’m on wifi it’s glacial in its loading.
    Have 44meg wifi so I’m fairly sure that’s not the issue. No other site does this. I can open other forums in seperate tabs, swop tabs, refresh and come back to boards and it will still be loading

PS; am in Australia

Same problem here.

Also posting from Australia.

Been going on for at least 4 weeks.

Site is mostly unusable.

All other sites loading instantly.

Could it be a location issue ?

Is it worth asking in the Australia forum ?

Is it worth asking in the Australia forum ?

Nah, I've been having the same problem for ages from Asia. Cloudflare is just set up wrong and boards.ie haven't fixed it.

Just reclick links if it seems slow and it resends the request and works.

Nah, I've been having the same problem for ages from Asia. Cloudflare is just set up wrong and boards.ie haven't fixed it.

You’re correct. That does work but not every time.

It’s fairly torturous.

Is it a simple fix for boards to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Error 525 Ray ID: 63c614929d795d13 • 2021-04-07 20:42:05 UTC
    SSL handshake failed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Error 525 Ray ID: 63c614929d795d13 • 2021-04-07 20:42:05 UTC
    SSL handshake failed

At least we know the hamsters are sticking to the Covid rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

i'm seeing this 552 again today, site is incredibly slow and doesnt always load

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement