Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is this thug allowed to roam free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

begbysback wrote: »
    Seriously?

Criminals are people, and people are criminals - you can’t make a distinction no matter what utopia you have in your imagination. Human rights apply to everyone.

A lot of these rights are nonsense. When I hear of people deserving stuff, I always ask why. You see, unless they earned it, I see no reason why they should deserve it. Often you hear criminals saying they made a mistake when in almost every case, the crime was intentional. Saying it was a mistake is not accepting responsibility. I think prisoners should be interviewed before they are released and those who say they made a mistake should be made to repeat their sentence in the hope that they learn that it was their deliberate and intentional fault, not a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A lot of these rights are nonsense. When I hear of people deserving stuff, I always ask why. You see, unless they earned it, I see no reason why they should deserve it. Often you hear criminals saying they made a mistake when in almost every case, the crime was intentional. Saying it was a mistake is not accepting responsibility. I think prisoners should be interviewed before they are released and those who say they made a mistake should be made to repeat their sentence in the hope that they learn that it was their deliberate and intentional fault, not a mistake.

there really has been enormous amount of research done on the root causes of criminality, you really should look into it, because you clearly know little or nothing about this subject matter also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What do they rob exactly?

Their hearts and Gaelic Football points ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would love to invite him over for a chat some time.....

But you wouldn’t be able to hide behind your screen then. Anyway, heard he’s been picked back up.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    there really has been enormous amount of research done on the root causes of criminality, you really should look into it, because you clearly know little or nothing about this subject matter also

You have charged the subject to the cause as opposed to the cure. I know the causes. Just out of curiosity what do you think of this rehabilitation center in Rwanda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImYBUR1envg

Many of the inmates go there voluntarily for training or to get off drugs. Others are sent there. One of the inmates says he was sent there for selling suits on the street (which is illegal in Rwanda) and I thought that sounds very different to here where people can commit dozens of crimes (much more serious than selling suits) before they are put away. I just don`t think we have a proper handle on crime in this country.

Even if that were true, what has it to do with introducing a new law? If the government wanted to ban plastic bags would they first have to make sure that the religious organizations that use plastic bags don`t abuse the plastic bags and if they were found to be abusing plastic bags why would that be a reason not to ban plastic bags for environmental purposes? Really I think you might be reaching in an effort to make a totally irrelevant point that has nothing whatsoever to do with the introduction of a new law.

You would first have to make sure that religious organizations follow the law of the land and not their own when it suits them. You would then have to have people who claim to follow their teaching actually act like they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But you wouldn’t be able to hide behind your screen then. Anyway, heard he’s been picked back up.

What screen, he wouldn't be the 1st I've taken on....

Unfortunately I've come across people like this in work and at home....

DubInMeath wrote: »
    You would first have to make sure that religious organizations follow the law of the land and not their own when it suits them. You would then have to have people who claim to follow their teaching actually act like they do.

Come now lets not be facetious. That is like saying the government would have to consult gangland criminals to see if it would be alright with them to ban gangland activity.

If you are referring to contentious objection, that is something that happens when people don`t agree with a law. The gestapo would have taken a dim view of those who sheltered Jews, yet breaking the law to help those who were being murdered was the right thing to do in that instance. But please let us return to topic i.e. crime, punishment & justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Anjunadeep wrote: »

But he needs more of everything
    More rehabilitation (or possibly different or better rehabilitation I can’t remember what the bleeding heart liberals who never ever have to actually deal with a Leon say now)
    More patience
    More love
    More help from social workers
    More SW money
    More HAP
    More tolerance from his victims.
    Just more.

Hasn't aged well, looks 40 at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

This fella will have to kill someone before he is put away.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pictured-irelands-most-dangerous-criminal-walks-free-38454949.html

Lets have a look;

> The court heard evidence how he stabbed one youth in the leg during a robbery at St Stephen's Green .It turned out he had been armed with four knives when he stabbed the 15-year-old as he robbed a group of teenagers of their phones. It took 10 gardai to arrest Wright, shortly after the robbery, who swung a kitchen knife at them before being subdued.

> In another frightening incident he was in a 15-minute stand-off with gardai in Lucan while armed with a knife and threatening to go into a house and kill the people inside.

> A month later after being released he hijacked two cars from women at Liffey Valley after telling one he would stab her. After crashing it he made his way back to the car-park where he jumped into the back seat of a car being driven by a woman and roared at her to drive or he would "cut her up".

> He also violently resisted arrest in Skerries where he spat at, tried to bite and then grabbed the testicles of a garda.

> On another occasion he attacked an officer at the Children's Court and threatened to shoot one in the head saying: "I have a bullet waiting for you when I get out."

> At his most recent court appearance, in which he had faced charges of attacking prison staff Wright was accompanied in court by five prison officers clad in riot gear. In that case in March 2017 he was given an extra six months for assaulting three prison officers as he attempted to headbutt the governor of the Midlands Prison.

> Between his stints behind bars Wright has clocked up 106 convictions including 30 assault, firearms and robbery offences. He has also had more than 250 breaches of prison discipline recorded against him from his time inside.

> He also assaulted and robbed another couple and later told gardai that he had been aiming for the second victim's organs in the attack. Wright claimed he had tried to kill the man, "but his bird got in the way." At a 2007 trial when Wright was aged 18 he was described by Judge Michael White as a "very dangerous teenager".

Irish Justice folks, perfectly safe individual to have roaming around the general population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Our legal system is at fault. Why is the justice system to a great extent private? Should it not be a public right/function not what can be paid for. As it stands only the very rich or the very poor can go to court. A part of the civil service so that no one rich can buy legal clout and put another at a disadvantage. We have inherited a flawed, antiquated and class based system from Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Does the state have no accountability for the safety of its citizens?

There are lots of lobby groups who feel that the interests and rights of the perpetrator are far more important then that of the victim.
    It gives them that nice warm fuzzy feeling inside that they’ve stopped someone from being punished for something that they feel he/she shouldn’t be made to take responsibility for.
    The members of these lobby groups typically live in very low crime areas sometimes in gated communities ( P Murphy TD) and are unlikely to ever be victims themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    This fella will have to kill someone before he is put away.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pictured-irelands-most-dangerous-criminal-walks-free-38454949.html

Lets have a look;

> The court heard evidence how he stabbed one youth in the leg during a robbery at St Stephen's Green .It turned out he had been armed with four knives when he stabbed the 15-year-old as he robbed a group of teenagers of their phones. It took 10 gardai to arrest Wright, shortly after the robbery, who swung a kitchen knife at them before being subdued.

> In another frightening incident he was in a 15-minute stand-off with gardai in Lucan while armed with a knife and threatening to go into a house and kill the people inside.

> A month later after being released he hijacked two cars from women at Liffey Valley after telling one he would stab her. After crashing it he made his way back to the car-park where he jumped into the back seat of a car being driven by a woman and roared at her to drive or he would "cut her up".

> He also violently resisted arrest in Skerries where he spat at, tried to bite and then grabbed the testicles of a garda.

> On another occasion he attacked an officer at the Children's Court and threatened to shoot one in the head saying: "I have a bullet waiting for you when I get out."

> At his most recent court appearance, in which he had faced charges of attacking prison staff Wright was accompanied in court by five prison officers clad in riot gear. In that case in March 2017 he was given an extra six months for assaulting three prison officers as he attempted to headbutt the governor of the Midlands Prison.

> Between his stints behind bars Wright has clocked up 106 convictions including 30 assault, firearms and robbery offences. He has also had more than 250 breaches of prison discipline recorded against him from his time inside.

> He also assaulted and robbed another couple and later told gardai that he had been aiming for the second victim's organs in the attack. Wright claimed he had tried to kill the man, "but his bird got in the way." At a 2007 trial when Wright was aged 18 he was described by Judge Michael White as a "very dangerous teenager".

Irish Justice folks, perfectly safe individual to have roaming around the general population.

Send him to the Mariana Trench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Nope - just lots of people willing to make excuses for filth like this because they don't have to deal with them in their own lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

He's a cash cow for the legal profession is why he's out. 84 previous convictions means multiple appearances in court by his barrister/lawyer on each of his offences, possibly taking a few years for each offence to be ruled on. Then there's all those nice billable hours that the legal firm gets paid for. Of course there's the private companies who get paid to transport these lads from prison to the courthouse and back again as well. When he does kill someone, he'll do less than 20 years before he's out and about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

splinter65 wrote: »
    But he needs (/................) more.

Did it ever occur to you that if he was placed in a secure hospital he would (a) be kept off the streets (b) treated for whatever severe mental issues he has with the possibility that (c) he would no longer pose such a threat to the public?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Nope, because our political representatives don't live in the areas where this kind of scum was spawned so they are out of touch with reality, well except of course for Willie O'Dea.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    Did it ever occur to you that if he was placed in a secure hospital he would (a) be kept off the streets (b) treated for whatever severe mental issues he has with the possibility that (c) he would no longer pose such a threat to the public?

Did it ever occur to you that over the many years of his countless brushes with our justice system that he’s probably been investigated several times, and at great cost, for psychiatric illnesses and been found to have none?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

blueshade wrote: »
    Nope, because our political representatives don't live in the areas where this kind of scum was spawned so they are out of touch with reality, well except of course for Willie O'Dea.

Are they spawned out in Kilteely or inside in Farranshone? :p

We can torch both to be sure.

Did it ever occur to you that over the many years of his countless brushes with our justice system that he’s probably been investigated several times, and at great cost, for psychiatric illnesses and been found to have none?

Evidently not
    In 2017 Judge Catherine Staines, who heard an assault case against him at Portlaoise, asked: "I really wonder is prison the best place for him, would the Central Mental Hospital not be a more suitable place for him?"

I used to assume all these people have vetting degrees of mental illness too but I got to know a few of them and I changed my mind.
    Just brought up to believe:
    1. I have a right to be given everything and anything I want, instantly with no resistance.
    2. If there is any resistance then it needs to be met instantly with ferocious violence.
    3. Nobody can give me any instructions or correction. Nobody.
    4. Nobody else on this planet has any entitlements, just me.

I used to assume all these people have vetting degrees of mental illness too but I got to know a few of them and I changed my mind.
    Just brought up to believe:
    1. I have a right to be given everything and anything I want, instantly with no resistance.
    2. If there is any resistance then it needs to be met instantly with ferocious violence.
    3. Nobody can give me any instructions or correction. Nobody.
    4. Nobody else on this planet has any entitlements, just me.

....well fucking them into jail hasn't worked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Actually putting him in jail worked well to protect the public from him . it was letting him out was the error here . he should never ever be let out,

and when it becomes more cost effective to eliminate people like him that should be done too

Wonder when he will be back before the courts???

The solicitor, barrister and judge will be absolutely delighted.

Money will be rolling in their eyes... Cha ching

It would work fine if he was kept in jail where he should be.
    It’s the releasing him from jail that’s causing all the grief.
    Can you genuinely not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Execution

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

He needs to find God.

• Advertisement

It would work fine if he was kept in jail where he should be.
    It’s the releasing him from jail that’s causing all the grief.
    Can you genuinely not see that?

In prison he's as big a menace as without. The whole "throw away the key" thing is silly knee jerk nonsense.

In prison he's as big a menace as without. The whole "throw away the key" thing is silly knee jerk nonsense.

How can he be a menace to the public at large if he’s in solitary confinement in prison?!? He eats alone in his cell. He’s brought to the prison yard to exercise on his own when the yard is empty. No visitors. He doesn’t like anyone anyway. I doubt if anyone likes him. If they do they can write to him. If he kicks up a stink he’s tasered.
    In what way will he be a menace?

How can he be a menace to the public at large if he’s in solitary confinement in prison?!? He eats alone in his cell. He’s brought to the prison yard to exercise on his own when the yard is empty. No visitors. He doesn’t like anyone anyway. I doubt if anyone likes him. If they do they can write to him. If he kicks up a stink he’s tasered.
    In what way will he be a menace?

Did you read that article I linked?

Did you read that article I linked?

I read that article weeks ago. What’s your point? He should be tasered in his cell the second he resists. Taser taser taser. Or pepper sprayed. Every. Single. Time. Prison officers wear gas masks when dealing with him.
    What’s your suggestion? Dump him on the psychiatric nurses?!?

I read that article weeks ago. What’s your point? He should be tasered in his cell the second he resists. Taser taser taser. Or pepper sprayed. Every. Single. Time. Prison officers wear gas masks when dealing with him.
    What’s your suggestion? Dump him on the psychiatric nurses?!?

Yep. Your notions have failed, as have far worse treatment over the centuries.

Yep. Your notions have failed, as have far worse treatment over the centuries.

So what do you prefer we do with this gentleman. He doesn’t need psychiatric help and you don’t want him in prison. What is your solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Seriously? where do you think this person should be? allowed roam free? thats what it seems, just throw our collective hands up in the air and say, shure fcuk it. Some people are not reformable, or their crimes so bad that they just need to be locked away from society for the benefit of society, people like this can reform in prison under a strict system, if they cant manage that they should rot there, how will letting them roam free in society work out, it will likely put innocent people at risk.

1874 wrote: »
    Seriously? where do you think this person should be? allowed roam free? .................

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111474081&postcount=220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

A secure hospital? who says he has a mental illness? do secure hospitals have the staff to deal with this kind of person? I dont think so? Id prefer a secure prison held him and he could be treated medically in a secure wing of that, than even consider healthcare staff would have the ability to look after this guy or be subjected to him.
    No offense but based on what Ive read about this guy, your opinions are ridiculous, you should probably take him in, see how that works out, Im sure he's a lovely chap.

• Advertisement

A secure hospital? who says he has a mental illness? do secure hospitals have the staff to deal with this kind of person? I dont think so? Id prefer a secure prison held him and he could be treated medically in a secure wing of that, than even consider healthcare staff would have the ability to look after this guy or be subjected to him.
    No offense but based on what Ive read about this guy, your opinions are ridiculous, you should probably take him in, see how that works out, Im sure he's a lovely chap.

They would but he would be drugged out of his mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

blueshade wrote: »
    . Of course there's the private companies who get paid to transport these lads from prison to the courthouse and back again as well. .

No there's not....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No there's not....

Very true as in the UK its very different. G4S and similar run the transport.

It use to be Garda here and then changed to prison service.
    Obviously still some Garda vans or trucks but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

So what your basically saying I don't like the word "prison" so instead we will call it a "secure hospital" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A secure hospital? who says he has a mental illness? .................

A judge implied it.

• Advertisement

A judge implied it.

But the judge is not a psychiatrist. None of us are. Believe me it would be much easier for everyone, including him, if he could be moved to the psych unit and drugged up to the eyeballs to keep him manageable.
    But the fact that he’s not in the psyche unit means that he has been examined and there’s nothing wrong with him.
    There’s absolutely no reason for any of the many public servants that look after him to ever be attacked in any way by this guy.
    He’s a human being and he needs to be looked after but in a way that ensures that no other human being has to be a victim of his total lack of self control.
    There comes a point when we have to accept that every avenue has been explored and he’s not wanting to co operate and be civilized to other humans.
    That point has been passed along time ago with this guy.
    There aren’t all that many in our prison system like him so I’m not saying that the tasering and the pepper spray be used on everyone, just the hopeless ones.
    Oh, before you ask , if he dies, he dies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Big assumption there, that mental health services just don't let people rot in these places. 'Treatment' eh. I'm sure in your fantasy he has a full-time psychologist who is always on hand.

Surprised to read in that article that regular prison officers don't carry batons? I mean what? Do they have other defensive equipment on them?

PostWoke wrote: »
    Big assumption there, that mental health services just don't let people rot in these places. 'Treatment' eh. I'm sure in your fantasy he has a full-time psychologist who is always on hand.

Surprised to read in that article that regular prison officers don't carry batons? I mean what? Do they have other defensive equipment on them?

The fact is that locking people up for extremely long periods in very tough conditions doesn't work. Maiming and torture as penalties didn't work. Transportation to a hellish enviroment didn't work. The death penalty didn't and doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If being soft on crime worked, Ireland would be a crime free paradise.

Can't figure out if your comment is tongue in cheek or serious.

If serious, then can you show me a comparable country which is softer on crime ?
    We have a country where the legal system didn't have proper provision for white collar criminals to be prosecuted - laws had to be created to attempt to convict those involved with Anglo bank etc and we haven't even gotten to many of those who should have been jailed. Many of our white collar criminals still roam free.

Our legal/judicial/penal system offers convicted criminals every opportunity for reform and in many cases despite offending while on bail, suspended sentences are given.

Excuses/mitigation given before the courts are never questioned - sit in a district court long enough and you will hear, my client has a history of alcohol/drug abuse from a young age, he/she has a less than standard IQ, the accused was abused as a child, my client is about to become a father and is seeking an opportunity to change his life etc all accepted by judges because a solicitor trying to get the best for their client says them... No proof is offered.... EVER !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The fact is that locking people up for extremely long periods in very tough conditions doesn't work. Maiming and torture as penalties didn't work. Transportation to a hellish enviroment didn't work. The death penalty didn't and doesn't work.

Locking people up for life works simply because if you’re locked up for life, you are incapable of posing a threat to the public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement