Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

SKLaw wrote: »
    Tried to apply to some legal exec roles as I was also thinking I might as well build more experience until TC applications come up again. Haven't been too successful as they're looking for people who has more experience as a legal exec than a legal sec. role. Having completed all my FE1s seems to throw some them off too

Will keep trying though to apply TCs, paralegal/legal exec roles. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us

Yeah its very frustrating, was talking to a HR person the other day over the phone and they said most of the their clients want career legal executives and people who match their requirements perfectly. She said the best thing to do is to apply for temporary contracts for 12 months etc otherwise you won’t be looked at and this seems especially to be the case if you have FE1s. She said the job market is actually very busy at the moment but the above are high hurdles to get over. Like you said just apply to everything and hopefully something comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

neon123 wrote: »
    Yeah its very frustrating, was talking to a HR person the other day over the phone and they said most of the their clients want career legal executives and people who match their requirements perfectly. She said the best thing to do is to apply for temporary contracts for 12 months etc otherwise you won’t be looked at and this seems especially to be the case if you have FE1s. She said the job market is actually very busy at the moment but the above are high hurdles to get over. Like you said just apply to everything and hopefully something comes along.

We just gotta keep going I suppose. By the sounds of it there seems to be roles out there, we just have to land on the right one. Temp contracts might be the way to go for us until we can start applying for TCs again when they come up

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

We just gotta keep going I suppose. By the sounds of it there seems to be roles out there, we just have to land on the right one. Temp contracts might be the way to go for us until we can start applying for TCs again when they come up

Best of luck!

Do you find legal exec roles have good potential for tuning into a tc? In the same position !

jus_me wrote: »
    Do you find legal exec roles have good potential for tuning into a tc? In the same position !

Yes and no. It really depends on the firm. There's very few firms that would turn a legal exec role into a TC, I think. From experience, when a firm hires a legal exec, they expect the person to be a legal exec by career already. I'd say it's down to luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

I think the hardest part of securing a TC is actually getting through the application stage. It’s the only stage where the firm is actually looking for a reason to not put you through. At this stage, I suggest you have three very good reasons as to why you want to work at the firm. Also have a wide range of experience including retail, society involvement, charity work etc. Make sure your answers cover skills such as communication, logical thinking, teamwork etc.

Regarding grades, I’ll be honest, having applied to both Ireland and the U.K., Irish firms are still quite traditional in the sense that they really care about grades. Having a low 2.1 will not eliminate you provided you have a strong application elsewhere. In the U.K. however, you can still score an interview with the best US law firms with a low 2.1. I was able to successfully secure interviews with Jones Day, White & Case and Latham even though my grades weren’t the best.

In Ireland I was only able to secure one interview and fortunately that turned into an offer. For the interview stage, I really suggest learning off your answers because most of the time the questions are very similar. Learning off really puts you at an advantage because you come across more professional and your communication is very concise. All skills which lawyers really appreciate.

I hope I was able to be of some help because I know how challenging the whole process can be. If you guys have any questions, please do not hesitate to DM me. Happy to answer all questions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

I've been able to secure a few paralegal roles quite recently. I was upfront about the fact that I would be leaving within a year as I have a TC due. They didn't seem to mind. Granted, it was a temp contract.

I think the hardest part of securing a TC is actually getting through the application stage. It’s the only stage where the firm is actually looking for a reason to not put you through. At this stage, I suggest you have three very good reasons as to why you want to work at the firm. Also have a wide range of experience including retail, society involvement, charity work etc. Make sure your answers cover skills such as communication, logical thinking, teamwork etc.

Regarding grades, I’ll be honest, having applied to both Ireland and the U.K., Irish firms are still quite traditional in the sense that they really care about grades. Having a low 2.1 will not eliminate you provided you have a strong application elsewhere. In the U.K. however, you can still score an interview with the best US law firms with a low 2.1. I was able to successfully secure interviews with Jones Day, White & Case and Latham even though my grades weren’t the best.

In Ireland I was only able to secure one interview and fortunately that turned into an offer. For the interview stage, I really suggest learning off your answers because most of the time the questions are very similar. Learning off really puts you at an advantage because you come across more professional and your communication is very concise. All skills which lawyers really appreciate.

I hope I was able to be of some help because I know how challenging the whole process can be. If you guys have any questions, please do not hesitate to DM me. Happy to answer all questions!

That’s been so helpful. Thank you very much :) I’ve gotten through to some interview stages but never did get quite lucky unfortunately

I've been able to secure a few paralegal roles quite recently. I was upfront about the fact that I would be leaving within a year as I have a TC due. They didn't seem to mind. Granted, it was a temp contract.

Yeah I think so long as it’s a temp contract firms don’t seem to mind and it’s better to be upfront about it. I’ve applied to some paralegal roles, hoping to hear back about it with some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi guys,

I have all 8 FE1's, High 2.1 Level 9 in Law, 3 years experience as a legal executive, various extracurricular experience, sport, volunteering etc.

But I cannot secure a Traineeship contract anywhere in Ireland.

I'm wondering has anyone experience in applying to law firms abroad?

(Particularly Canada, Oz, the UK or US)

I know Covid doesn't help but it's very frustrating as I had hoped to get into Blackhall this September but it isn't looking likely.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Feeling so hopeless about it all really. I feel like it's so ridiculous that you get no support at all and it seems flawed to me that during the FE1s you are so alone in the experience, and then even more so in the TC stage where it seems so hard to find a firm.

As I've said before I would love to get a TC with a firm in Galway as I loved living there and I know I'd be at my happiest there, and it wouldn't take a second for me to settle in. So I spent 2 full days going through every single law firm in the law society directory which took an enormous amount of time as there are soooo many duplicated in the 140+ firms listed.

I recently emailed every single one in a desperate attempt to get a whiff of anything. There are 43 firms in Galway City that have an email/number listed, and a website so I could actually see what they do rather than some old firm that is just in the yellow pages sort of thing.

Out of the 41 (2 firms have traineeship programmes open in Summer or Sep) I emailed, 8 replied and none had a vacancy. I just don't know what to do. Barely any jobs are posted on any sites or app. As one user mentioned once one goes up I'd say there's easily 50-100 people who apply who all have extremely similar credentials.

I'm so sick of feeling like an utter failure at 24, completely graduated and I'm still working in a dead end job in the town I grew up in (and have been looking for a way out since I was a teenager). No other colleague of mine in retail can understand what a guy with a Corporate Law degree is doing still working a minimum wage job, and to be honest I can barely explain it to them because it doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Feeling so hopeless about it all really.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same. The industry really has taken a hit in Ireland. I'm giving serious thought to just going to the UK to qualify instead. Things don't seem to be as bad over there and they are opening up a lot faster than we are here.

I was on a rolling temp contract with a solicitor's firm last year and the effects of the first lockdown were felt very quickly - business really dropped off. It did pick up a bit when things opened up over the summer but as soon as we went into the second lockdown, it hit a wall and they had to let me go. There was barely enough work for their permanent staff. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight with this current lockdown.

I am a bit older than you and I am kicking myself that I didn't go about qualifying in the last couple of years. I'd be done now at least.

I'd say those of us who are struggling to get any training contracts now wouldn't have had half the battle if covid hadn't hit.

rickmatt wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have all 8 FE1's, High 2.1 Level 9 in Law, 3 years experience as a legal executive, various extracurricular experience, sport, volunteering etc.

But I cannot secure a Traineeship contract anywhere in Ireland.

I'm wondering has anyone experience in applying to law firms abroad?

(Particularly Canada, Oz, the UK or US)

I know Covid doesn't help but it's very frustrating as I had hoped to get into Blackhall this September but it isn't looking likely.

Thanks

You should check out bar_exam and bar_prep on reddit for qualifying in the US. You might be able to get good advice on there.

From my own research and just my opinion, I think Canada is a bit closed shop. It seemed a lot harder to qualify over there.

Wouldn't be 100% sure about Oz.

The UK is changing their qualifying system from this September with the first SQE test in Nov 2021. You need a degree (doesn't have to be law) and one that is recognised in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

KPMG PFO this am

I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever actually be a solicitor at this stage with very little TCs out there. Bit difficult to stay positive

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever actually be a solicitor at this stage with very little TCs out there. Bit difficult to stay positive

Feeling the exact same. Ever since finishing the exams 2 weeks ago I just feel lost. Always aimed to start Blackhall in 2021 but that’s looking highly unlikely and I’m starting to doubt securing any TC for 2022 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

For everyone who's feeling a bit hopeless about looking for a TC, I think it's important to remember that it's probably the worst time since the last major recession to be looking around for one, so try not to take it too personally. I'm in the same boat as most here and I'm just sending out speculative applications around hoping for something, which is really all anyone can do. The replies I have got are usually to say my CV is decent but they just aren't taking on anyone this year, which gives me a bit of solace as it's become obvious that its more of a waiting game than anything else. I understand the thought of waiting another year or more is a big set back but that's just the harsh reality at the moment for most people (remember there are plenty of people not on here in the same situation). Best thing we can do is keep at it and possibly look for legal work in the interim which is what I'm doing also, but I'll admit even that is a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

neon123 wrote: »
    For everyone who's feeling a bit hopeless about looking for a TC, I think it's important to remember that it's probably the worst time since the last major recession to be looking around for one, so try not to take it too personally. I'm in the same boat as most here and I'm just sending out speculative applications around hoping for something, which is really all anyone can do. The replies I have got are usually to say my CV is decent but they just aren't taken on anyone this year, which gives me a bit of solace as it's become obvious that its more of a waiting game than anything else. I understand the thought of waiting another year or more is a big set back but that's just the harsh reality at the moment for most people (remember there are plenty of people not on here in the same situation). Best thing we can do is keep at it and possibly look for legal work in the interim which is what I'm doing also, but I'll admit even that is a challenge.

Or administrative work in general. There are loads of jobs like shareholder services, transfer agency etc which would definitely consider law graduates so I would definitely encourage people to apply for more than just legal positions.

If you can get your foot in the door at any company, it can really open doors for you!

I feel a bit guilty for managing to pick up a TC even though all you guys are clearly much more experienced than me. If it means anything, the legal market is picking up quite quickly again and I think you'll see a lot of more TC opportunities next year and lots of firms are moving to Ireland now so there will an abundance of opportunities available you just need to be patient and grind your way forward.

I feel a bit guilty for managing to pick up a TC even though all you guys are clearly much more experienced than me. If it means anything, the legal market is picking up quite quickly again and I think you'll see a lot of more TC opportunities next year and lots of firms are moving to Ireland now so there will an abundance of opportunities available you just need to be patient and grind your way forward.

Do not feel guilty in the slightest! You absolutely deserve it and I'm sure you'll be a wonderful solicitor!

Please don’t feel guilty! We all know how competitive it is and how difficult it is to get a TC. You deserve the TC :)

I hope that the rest of us looking for a TC can also get one at some point when the market picks up more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Feeling the exact same. Ever since finishing the exams 2 weeks ago I just feel lost. Always aimed to start Blackhall in 2021 but that’s looking highly unlikely and I’m starting to doubt securing any TC for 2022 at this stage

I really don't know what I'll do with myself if I can't get to start PPC this year. Another full year of just jobhunting and earning minimum wage in an unfulfilling role sounds like a nightmare.

New posting up on indeed for an immediate traineeship in a general practice firm in Dublin city centre.

Does anybody know any interesting volunteering opportunities for law graduates?

Anybody apply for the Fieldfisher paralegal position?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Applied for it haven’t heard anything back, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

I did and haven't heard back yet apart from the confirmation email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

There were at least some interviews this week for the Fieldfisher interview this week.

Did anyone ask when we would hear from Walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

There were at least some interviews this week for the Fieldfisher interview this week.

When did you hear about interview?

• Advertisement

Got an interview offer from Fieldfisher paralegal

Advertisement