Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to John Kavanagh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What's your favorite submission in BJJ?
    Is there a favorite 'move' that you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

No specific questions I can think of John, but I would like to thank you for your (big) part in the McGregor saga. Between you all at SBG, you've provided one hell of a show for us, and I'm sure I speak for many here in saying that there's been some quality moments over the years; Mendez, Aldo, Diaz 1, Diaz 2, Alvarez (to name the most recent ones), & no doubt we'll be watching the Mayweather thing with baited breath.

As an aside, I thought the Diaz 2 fight was a stunning piece of teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Things are pretty good in the country economically now and I'm sure you'd admit to a fair degree than Conor has been a huge part in the growth and success of SBG & MMA as a whole. As fellow business owner (I'm in retail) how hard did things get during 2008-2011 ? That rates bill coming in for your big gym must have been painful & I can only imagine that young lad's getting €188 off the dole each week couldn't have been very reliable for their membership fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Going to be a casual pleb here...

What was McGregor like when you first encountered him? Did you always think that he was destined for greatness or what were the standout qualities in him that have gotten him to where he is?

And how has he changed? His first post on Boards indicates there was always that element of showmanship in him :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭blapabrew22

You're banished to an island for a year (not Ireland!) however before dropped off, you're allowed to bring one of each of your favourite things. What would you bring for the following:

Food
    Movie
    Book
    Person
    Drink
    Album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Hi John,

2 questions...

Do you think MMA would be viable as an Olympic sport?

Also wondering, is there any of Conor's past opponents that you and Conor have developed a good relationship with post-fight that ye keep in contact with now and again? I'll assume that Jose is not one of them!

I have listened to Sam Harris and Jocko Willink talk about BJJ in the most reverential of tones. Describing it as less a fighting style and more an almost philosophical religious like experience. A way of life more than a mere sport. This would be one example of Harris writing about it.

Have you heard any of their material on this and would you agree with or understand where they are coming from on it?

They seem to think that more so than any other fighting style too - there is no real "Pinnacle" to reach as even at the height your game you learn something new every time you get to the mat?

What would it take to beat Jocko ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

1. Without giving away any specific gameplans, do you think Conor's corkscrew lead uppercut/left cross can land cleanly against any fighter?

2. Do you think Sinead Kavanagh rushed things when she dropped her opponent with that right hook at Bellator 173? As in would she have been better to stand her up on wobbly legs than diving into her guard?

3. Do you see any similarities in terms of a learning experience between Sinead's defeat and Conor's loss to Sitenkov at a similar stage in his career?

4. Are you excited by your new Lynx/SBG partnership and what can it do for the team other than ensure you all smell good lol? Will a Lynx logo be on the next batch of t-shirts and, if so, when are they out?

5. Was the criticism you took for not being in Artem's corner for the Swanson fight unfair? I criticized you a lot for that scheduling conflict. My opinion was based on flight times from Sydney to Nashville being shorter than Sydney to Dublin.

6. Is Richie Smullen in good shape for Rhys McKee and a prediction? I'm thinking sub Round 1, overly optimistic?

7. Do you think Conor's jiujitsu is under-rated because he normally flattens his opponents and we don't get to see a lot of it? People point to Sitenkov, Duffy and Nate but on the flip-side he dominated Max positionally and his modified X-Guard sweep against Nate was great.

8. Some "experts" in the MMA Forum here are saying that you are "completely useless" for the Floyd camp because you don't come from a boxing/striking background and you don't have the faintest notion about boxing and then they mention Pendred as an example to prove their point. Then the likes of Luke Thomas kept on calling Dillon "Conor's BJJ Coach" and he wasn't the only media member doing it.

Do you ever get fed up of people trying to diminish your role or influence?

9. Any concerns stylistically for Charlie for the Galore Bofando fight? Bofando's a KO-artist with a ridiculously good right hook and left high kick and Charlie is coming off a stoppage loss. I would have preferred to see him go in with a grappler not a striker.

10. Have you noticed any change in Gunni and Conor since they had their kids?

Thanks. Sorry for the essay. Hope you're keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Few questions here John, i've steered clear of the MMA/Conor questions, sure you'll have enough of them

1. What did ya think of GnR at Slane (even though ya were probably sat in the Prawn Sandwich area) and apart from GnR, what other bands are you into.

2. What's your favourite type of cheese??

I also trained as a Mechanical Engineer, and was set for a good career as a toolmaker, gave it up after 4yrs as hated working in a factory, do you still remember how to work a lathe/milling machine?

• Site Banned Posts: 31 Brad Bobley

What's your favorite humming noise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hi John, thanks for doing this. All I ask is you tell Roddy his fight week vlogs are superb and ask him to get filming again for the Floyd fight.

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

Hazys wrote: »
    With MMA being so competitive these days to be a top fighter you basically have to be all in, training 24/7, making a lot of sacrifices and only a small amount of the top fighters make enough to live comfortably once they retire. Do you worry that fighters can get so invested in the game that they can't turn it off and know when to hang up their gloves and some have sacrificed so much for MMA they are left with little alternatives when they retire? Its was kinda sad to see BJ Penn being a shadow of himself at the weekend and you wish he could retire and move to another chapter of his life.

penn not fighting for money, fighters need to find something to fill the hole.
    1. Why does Jesus love knockouts so much and does the Devil love submissions?

2. I am doing BJJ but wonder how much cardio and strength training to do.If I train in BJJ 3 times a week, how do I get the balance right and not be too tired for the actual BJJ class!

3. I think I saw you say that you didn't like the analogy of BJJ is like Chess. Why not?

4. When I was young, I used to play fight with my older brother. He would annoy me by intentionally punching my hands so I would give up. Have you thought of Conor punching Floyd's brittle hands to make him drop them or give up?!!

- perhaps
    - none, just roll
    - i'm re-warming to it
    - i'll keep that in mind
    Alicano wrote: »
    Hey John.

Thanks for all the excitement and enjoyment you and your team have provided in recent years.
    Some non mma questions if that's ok?

1)6 celebrity/ non celebrity dinner table guests? Alive or dead.
    2)At what time of the day does afternoon become evening?
    3)Last 3 dialled people on your mobile :-)

Thanks again and best wishes with everything ahead.

hitchens, harris, david hume, dawkins, Darwin and billy Connolly for the craic
    5pm
    audie, my bro james and lynn hunter
    Mellor wrote: »
    Thank so for doing this John.

- What was the highlight of your recent trip to Australia?

- You were Ireland first BJJ blackbelt, at latest count there are now over 50 Irish Black belts. How many have you promoted? (Included your students who revieved their belt from Matt).

- The UFC frequently mentions that Gunni received his blackbelt from Renzo. Were you involved in that promotion at all? Was it simply because he was in NYC at the time. Or was it a decision so that he could compete at IBJJF worlds? (2nd degree blackbelt verification rules)

- seeing orlagh's reaction to getting to swim with dolphins
    - honestly not sure, just kinda happened.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    What's your favorite submission in BJJ?
    Is there a favorite 'move' that you like?

guillotines
    Things are pretty good in the country economically now and I'm sure you'd admit to a fair degree than Conor has been a huge part in the growth and success of SBG & MMA as a whole. As fellow business owner (I'm in retail) how hard did things get during 2008-2011 ? That rates bill coming in for your big gym must have been painful & I can only imagine that young lad's getting €188 off the dole each week couldn't have been very reliable for their membership fee's.

I barely kept my head above water up until the last 3yrs. thankfully my hobby turned into a business that could support me and my (soon to be) family
    You're banished to an island for a year (not Ireland!) however before dropped off, you're allowed to bring one of each of your favourite things. What would you bring for the following:

Food
    Movie
    Book
    Person
    Drink
    Album

coco pops
    Leon
    brief history of almost everything
    orlagh
    Guinness
    appetite for destruction
    Hi John,

2 questions...

Do you think MMA would be viable as an Olympic sport?

Also wondering, is there any of Conor's past opponents that you and Conor have developed a good relationship with post-fight that ye keep in contact with now and again? I'll assume that Jose is not one of them!

yes
    no
    I have listened to Sam Harris and Jocko Willink talk about BJJ in the most reverential of tones. Describing it as less a fighting style and more an almost philosophical religious like experience. A way of life more than a mere sport. This would be one example of Harris writing about it.

Have you heard any of their material on this and would you agree with or understand where they are coming from on it?

They seem to think that more so than any other fighting style too - there is no real "Pinnacle" to reach as even at the height your game you learn something new every time you get to the mat?

What would it take to beat Jocko ? :)

yes but impossible to explain to someone who doesn't train it. you know or you don't.
    i'd love to train with jocko - I imagine be like trying to control an angry bear

• Registered Users Posts: 33 im6foot4

What's your take on the Law of Attraction, and do you implement it in your philosophy of teaching?

1. Without giving away any specific gameplans, do you think Conor's corkscrew lead uppercut/left cross can land cleanly against any fighter?

2. Do you think Sinead Kavanagh rushed things when she dropped her opponent with that right hook at Bellator 173? As in would she have been better to stand her up on wobbly legs than diving into her guard?

3. Do you see any similarities in terms of a learning experience between Sinead's defeat and Conor's loss to Sitenkov at a similar stage in his career?

4. Are you excited by your new Lynx/SBG partnership and what can it do for the team other than ensure you all smell good lol? Will a Lynx logo be on the next batch of t-shirts and, if so, when are they out?

5. Was the criticism you took for not being in Artem's corner for the Swanson fight unfair? I criticized you a lot for that scheduling conflict. My opinion was based on flight times from Sydney to Nashville being shorter than Sydney to Dublin.

6. Is Richie Smullen in good shape for Rhys McKee and a prediction? I'm thinking sub Round 1, overly optimistic?

7. Do you think Conor's jiujitsu is under-rated because he normally flattens his opponents and we don't get to see a lot of it? People point to Sitenkov, Duffy and Nate but on the flip-side he dominated Max positionally and his modified X-Guard sweep against Nate was great.

8. Some "experts" in the MMA Forum here are saying that you are "completely useless" for the Floyd camp because you don't come from a boxing/striking background and you don't have the faintest notion about boxing and then they mention Pendred as an example to prove their point. Then the likes of Luke Thomas kept on calling Dillon "Conor's BJJ Coach" and he wasn't the only media member doing it.

Do you ever get fed up of people trying to diminish your role or influence?

9. Any concerns stylistically for Charlie for the Galore Bofando fight? Bofando's a KO-artist with a ridiculously good right hook and left high kick and Charlie is coming off a stoppage loss. I would have preferred to see him go in with a grappler not a striker.

10. Have you noticed any change in Gunni and Conor since they had their kids?

Thanks. Sorry for the essay. Hope you're keeping well.

- not suitable for Mayweather
    - a lot went wrong there
    - yes, she's grappling a lot more
    - yes its a great opportunity. I don't know about the Ts tbh
    - everyone entitled to opinion. artem knows what was up so his opinion only one that matters to me
    - rhys very good fighter and beat smullen at ammy level. that being said I do think 1st rd sub
    - agreed
    - no I don't mind. as long as the fighter gets the result that's all that matters to me.
    - its another tough one. but i'm just glad we got another shot
    - yes

no worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ha, we have the same favourite book. I must have read it 5 times now.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Few questions here John, i've steered clear of the MMA/Conor questions, sure you'll have enough of them

1. What did ya think of GnR at Slane (even though ya were probably sat in the Prawn Sandwich area) and apart from GnR, what other bands are you into.

2. What's your favourite type of cheese??

I also trained as a Mechanical Engineer, and was set for a good career as a toolmaker, gave it up after 4yrs as hated working in a factory, do you still remember how to work a lathe/milling machine?

- amazing. Kaleo.
    - cheddar
    - I don't think i'd be much good
    im6foot4 wrote: »
    What's your take on the Law of Attraction, and do you implement it in your philosophy of teaching?

hard work a lot more important.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is there a rumour that you'd like the fine folk of boards to start to mess with Floyd's camp? You know, just to see how far it can go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's your opinion on pro wrestling, does the goofy storylines, odd characters and perception that it's fake take away from the athleticism and hard work that the guys and gals put in ????

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on pro wrestling, does the goofy storylines, odd characters and perception that it's fake take away from the athleticism and hard work that the guys and gals put in ????

I find it odd that adults watch it but i'm a believer in doing whatever it is you enjoy so rock on WWE guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Why is your Twitter persona so much more inflammatory than your (apparent) real life persona?

• Advertisement

Why is your Twitter persona so much more inflammatory than your (apparent) real life persona?

I've heard that communication is more than 70% body language. twitter doesn't convey tone very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Hi John,

What music gets you pumped when you are working out or otherwise?

(Sorry, it's not a MMA or fighting question :P)

Hi John,

What music gets you pumped when you are working out or otherwise?

(Sorry, it's not a MMA or fighting question :P)

Rocky soundtrack

Sorry, just couple more:

1. Do you have any issues with Kenny Bayless as a potential ref? He's on record saying Conor shouldn't be boxing and Dana also posted about it on Instagram. I personally don't think he should be anywhere near it.

2. Speaking of ref's, will you be hoping that the ref will actually allow some proper clinch work? There was plenty of clinch fighting in Kovalev-Ward last week but Floyd usually brings in ref's who separate fast.

3. Can you speak any Icelandic?

4. Do you envisage any more gym moves? Great journey from the Shed to the Naas Rd but if you move to a bigger site, will you incorporate any of the innovations Mjolnir have in their new gym?

5. Did you know that Conor is #4 athlete in the world for social media growth in 2017 adding 6.3 million followers on Instagram since Jan 1st. Only Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar (footballers) ahead of him in terms of growth. Do things like that surprise you given he hasn't even been fighting?

6. Do you think Cian Cowley can make the necessary improvements in his ground game to compete with the worlds best or is it simply a case he needs more work escaping body locks?

7. How did you score the Makwan fight? Any issues with the Judges giving it to Arnold Allen?

8. Do you still go to your own coach Matt Thornton for advice on techniques?

9. Have any of your spiders ever escaped and ran downstairs into the gym?

10. Do you regret not sound-proofing your office?

I could actually be here all day asking Q's so I'll leave it at that lol. I need to get off this and take up jiujitsu :pac:

Hi John.

Do you think Wonderfullife has been waiting with relish for this question-time opportunity to arise ever since he's shown a very short-lived but fervent interest in MMA, and does he wait outside yours or the bearded one's house in the hope you might someday accept him as one of the team?

Or at a push, wish in hope and delusion to be the next author of one of your fine literary memoirs of the now popular and current craft?

Don't derail this with nonsense.

Yes, I hadn't a clue about MMA until Conor came along but I'll always be glad he inspired me to become a fan of an amazing sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Considering Canelo Alvarez who is both stronger and more technical than Conor wasn't able to land on Mayweather, is there any chance for Conor to land?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Hi John,
    Congrats on your success so far.
    Do you find the attitude towards mma changing in terms of some believing it to be too violent , not a sport etc?
    has been occasionally commented locally how some parents find the local GAA and soccer clubs.have kept their kids on the straight and narrow so to speak,do you find that given the discipline mma seems to require the same would be said for kids taking part? Personally I think playing any sport is great for kids and then the community in general.
    Also do you think the business part of the sport can or will go too far and end up being detrimental to mma in the long term? In terms of money being the main motivation as opposed to titles etc. Or do you feel it's all the one
    I would be just a sports fan in general as opposed to anything specific so these are more questions from the outside looking in I guess,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Is it true that you once tried a particilar engergy drink went for a run ending up on the other side of the dublin mountains and had to call your mum for a lift home?

John, your success is an inspiration not just on a sporting level but also on a entrepreneurial level the way you persevered with SBG and your 'win or learn' mantra is certainly something i can relate to

Apologies if this has been asked already but do GAA counties ask you or Conor to give them motivational speeches in the same way Roy Keane used to give the Cork footballers for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hi John. Good luck to you in the coming months. Some questions:

1. If there's ever a movie made about Conor, which actor would you like to see play the role of yourself?

2. What's your opinion of Kevin Lee?

3. Do you think Ronda should walk away from MMA?

4. What words did you offer Conor after his defeat to Nate in their first fight?

5. Favourite computer game?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement