Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to John Kavanagh

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

bri007 wrote: »
    You didn't work in a place called Odenberg years ago John? Just wondering, I'm 34, I never did may type of martial arts, would BJJ be good or too old for it? Yourself and Conor are great role models, it makes me want to take up sport instead of sitting on the sofa all the time!

no
    cant recommend BJJ enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Which Irish athlete outside mma (soccer, rugby, GAA, etc.) would you have loved to have got in the gym at an early age and train them exclusively for MMA who could be a top fighter in the UFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jbennett99

Do you reckon I could do it, Coach?

Hazys wrote: »
    Which Irish athlete outside mma (soccer, rugby, GAA, etc.) would you have loved to have got in the gym at an early age and train them exclusively for MMA who could be a top fighter in the UFC?

kieran mcgeeney
    jbennett99 wrote: »
    Do you reckon I could do it, Coach?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

JohnSBG wrote: »
    kieran mcgeeney

Because of his determination/athleticism and the stone cold eyes of a killer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭brevity

Something silly, would you go on the Joe Rogan podcast if asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Few more :)

1. Justine Kish pooped herself when defending Felice Herrig's guard pass/choke attempts at the weekend. How would you handle this as a coach if it happened to one of your fighters?

2. People are questioning Conor's cardio, would it be fair to say your decision to bring in George Lockhart and Julian Dalby has turned out positively? Conor's most effective round in the Diaz 2 fight in terms of volume and accuracy was Round 4.

3. Does it bother you that SBG are still considered more of a grappling team due to Gunni, James, Pendred etc?

4. Were you disappointed in the antics of Chris van Heerden or not bothered?

5. Do you think it's inevitable 2 SBG fighters have to fight each other, whether in the UFC, BAMMA, Bellator? How will you decide which corner to stand in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Favorite venue to corner in?

Favorite city you've got to visit?

brevity wrote: »
    Something silly, would you go on the Joe Rogan podcast if asked?

we've already spoken, just a matter of timing it while i'm there.
    Few more :)

1. Justine Kish pooped herself when defending Felice Herrig's guard pass/choke attempts at the weekend. How would you handle this as a coach if it happened to one of your fighters?

2. People are questioning Conor's cardio, would it be fair to say your decision to bring in George Lockhart and Julian Dalby has turned out positively? Conor's most effective round in the Diaz 2 fight in terms of volume and accuracy was Round 4.

3. Does it bother you that SBG are still considered more of a grappling team due to Gunni, James, Pendred etc?

4. Were you disappointed in the antics of Chris van Heerden or not bothered?

5. Do you think it's inevitable 2 SBG fighters have to fight each other, whether in the UFC, BAMMA, Bellator? How will you decide which corner to stand in?

- already happened. did it during rd 1. KO'd opponent in 2nd. ran to toilet.
    - yes
    - no, only results bother me.
    - i wasnt suprised, motherfecker
    - yes. probably neither
    Hazys wrote: »
    Favorite venue to corner in?

Favorite city you've got to visit?

3 arena
    Reykjavik

Att Mods - dont delete any posts. its 'AMA' i dont mind nasty ones haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Who's your favourite BJJ fighter of all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hi John, hope all is well!
    1. How often do you train yourself and who are your main BJJ traingin partners?
    2. Do you still speak with Dave Jones?
    3. What advice would you give someone who is going to attend their first BJJ class?
    4. How far along is the expansion of the gym?
    5. What is your favourite go to meal during training days to keep you energised?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rocally

Are you close friends with Conor McGregor or is it more of a working relationship ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Hi John,

I work as a mechanical engineer. I've read a few pages ago that you used to work as one as well.

1. Where did you study and for how long?
    2. What was your field?
    3. Do you ever miss it?

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

What time does the Gravediggers open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Hi John,

Fair play for taking the time to do this AMA.

If you could go back and change one thing about your time in MMA (as fighter or coach) what would it be? It doesn't have to be a regret per se, just something that you may have done differently in hindsight.

Do many of your students use a sport psychologist and is it something you would advocate? I know David Mullins and Nuno Pires have/had some links with SBG however I don't know how heavily involved they are currently. This is of personal interest to me as I'm studying for a future career in this area.

What does your new role as Business Dvelopment Director of Wimp 2 Warrior involve? Are you surprised at the uptake from people right across the country to take part. As a Dublin season 1 participant I could not recommend it highly enough to anyone thinking of giving it a go.

Congratulations on all your success so far and I look forward to witnessing many more years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A lot of boxing fans seem convinced that, p4p, boxers punch a lot harder than mma fighters.

In your experience is there any truth to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Hi John,

Just wanted to ask you about your thoughts on the fact that Conor has always remained loyal to you and SBG... even after hitting the big time.

It would have been so easy for him to shack up in the US, with any number of highly acclaimed coaches and MMA gyms. But he kept faith with you and the guys that helped him make it. Even though Ireland was not exactly at the epicentre of world MMA. Many would not have criticised him, if he had left Ireland...

Why do you think this is?

Why does Conor have total faith in his own people, when so many others think that they have to go abroad or hire in big name foreign coaches/teams??

I am not anti-foreigner or anything like that - just to be clear. I guess I just like the fact that Conor has total belief in his own guys. Total belief in Ireland and SBG... when so many others in Irish sport seem to think "Johnny foreigner" is the smarter option!

Sorry, it's a rather long question. But I do think Conor is bucking the trend a bit, and giving a great example for other Irish sports stars to follow!

Thanks and best of luck in the big fight! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

In what round do you think Conor is going to knock Floyd out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

How open are you to posing for photos in general. I walked right past you at the MGM literally just when I arrived for the Aldo fight, you were with Orlagh so I didn't want to bother you by asking you but it's been bugging me ever since :o

• Advertisement

Who's your favourite BJJ fighter of all time?

hmm i always liked roger gracie
    Hi John, hope all is well!
    1. How often do you train yourself and who are your main BJJ traingin partners?
    2. Do you still speak with Dave Jones?
    3. What advice would you give someone who is going to attend their first BJJ class?
    4. How far along is the expansion of the gym?
    5. What is your favourite go to meal during training days to keep you energised?

Thanks

- right now twice a week if im lucky. whoever is on mats
    - yes, not nearly enough
    - dont worry about losing!
    - not very far i'm afraid!
    - a simple sandwich
    rocally wrote: »
    Are you close friends with Conor McGregor or is it more of a working relationship ?

he's like my kid brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Outside of MMA what other sports/teams do you follow/support?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm well past my sell by - body battered by too many rugby hits and extended soccer & drinking career - I'm a sober non-smoker these day, meditate with yoga and a daily sea swimner - could you coach me to be an overage MMA contender (was a bit of street fighter back in my day) ??

Seriously, something I do know about is filmmaking - how well did the Notorious doc help Conors career ?

I think it captures a fighter on the way up brilliantly and in 5 years will look even better -

Massive respect for what you guys do .

Hi John,

I work as a mechanical engineer. I've read a few pages ago that you used to work as one as well.

1. Where did you study and for how long?
    2. What was your field?
    3. Do you ever miss it?

regards

bolton st. 5yrs. 2 for cert, 3 for degree
    mechanical
    hmmm....no.
    Harry66 wrote: »
    What time does the Gravediggers open?

lunch time

A lot of boxing fans seem convinced that, p4p, boxers punch a lot harder than mma fighters.

In your experience is there any truth to that?

on average yes. but there are outliers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Forrest Griffin Vs Stephan Bonnar (and TUF1) was got me into MMA. it was a bloody war. At the first UFC Dublin event, I cant remember which fight it was but they guys pretty much grappled for 2 rounds to a chorus of boos and this has happened at a lot of UFC events.

What's your preference to watch? A stand up war or a technical fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Hi John,

Would I be correct in saying you would lean more to the right than the left when it comes to politics?

What do you think of Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Hi John

Best mma fight ever for you?

Of all the fighters you've met outside of sbg who's the best craic and who has let success really go to their head?

Which fighter would you most like to have a pint with?

Pick one fighter you would like to coach above any

What's your opinion of Tony ferguson as a match up for Conor and do you think he's the biggest threat in the 2 divisions Conor has fought in?

Do you ever see Conor moving to ww?

How surprised were you at how dominant maia was v gunnar?

Who wins the match up between whittaker and romero? I like whittaker myself. Same one for nunes Shevchenko? Any thoughts? Nunes for me

Does Conor ever look at boards these days;)

Thanks for coming on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

"For whatever reason, nobody hits harder than Conor. I’ve got heavyweights in my gym and Conor can punch harder.

A recent comment of yours, I've never read such ****e please dont start throwing out this muck to hype the fight please, if your being sincere I would a the HW in question has zero prospects in martial arts competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hi John.

Been following kiefer Crosbie for years now.

Do you think he will get signed by the ufc or has he left it late?

What was the circumstances he signed to sbg, did you know of him in his last club or did he come to sbg to join?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

Hi John,
    Thanks for taking the time

- who is your favouite MMA Journalist?
    - Does Frans have ambition to compete in UFC or Bellator?
    - How do you deal with sore losers in the gym?
    - With regards MMA, do you have a prefered discipline?
    - Is the ability to wrestle over rated in the UFC?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement